Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Another superb looking settlement, one question dvk, hows about pathfinding for units in the custom settlements, do they all reach the plaza? Does it work well? in m2tw units tend to get stuck somewhere if the layout isnt planned and tested well enough...
    When I start work on a custom city I first choose the settlement model that is the best size for the city I want to build, and has enough room for the buildings I want to include. I've tried very hard to avoid a number of the very 'circuitous' settlement models that RTW included...namely, settlement models where the path to the plaza is\was very long and twisted around. The large and huge city models were guilty of this, and I've used them sparingly.

I have also tried, where possible, to make roads inside settlements wider by placing buildings further back from them where I could. This allows units to march better in their natural formations, and can avoid some of the 'crowding' when going around corners. I'm not saying that is always the case, but it is something I keep an eye on. I also test the path-finding in every town\city by actually fighting battles..and\or watching the units walk around the city in the Strat map city view. I can actually more easily spot problems in the city view.

Now, obviously, some settlements are going to have issues 'by definition'. Hilltop, fortress-type cities like Pergamon that use the original celtic hillfort model are going to be challenging. There are only two paths to the plaza, and the ways are narrow. But these settlements are also smaller and meant to be difficult to conquer. So I guess the main idea is to provide a large variety of different types of settlements that will look and feel different. So far, I have probably built in excess of 45-50 settlements.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

hail Dvk augustus nice settlement
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Patrician

Last of the eastern Greek settlements (for now anyway)...Seleucia. Here is a view of the city and the Citadel:

Would've been more realistic if I could've gotten the city closer to the river...but no dice.

And here is a new temple version...flat roofed:

And from the front, with the Citadel in the background:

Still contemplating Persis......but haven't figured out how I would do that yet. So on to the Barbarians.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

tiepilot98's Avatar Libertus

Great work.

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

you did managed to get the roof of the temple.great work
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

@DVK901 Can you apply my modified enviroment before you start with the barbarian settlements? I changed the swamp climate into an oceanic climate so otherwise I would have to change it back into a swamp climate. I'll send you the files today.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Seleucia looks amazing

Patrician

Here's an update and a few screens from the Dacian city of Sarmizegetusa. I found a number of nice pictures of reconstructions of this city, so I tried my best to at least create an 'impression' of the Palace citadel and the Temple complex that was located there.

The picture below is actually generic, but shows the Barbarian foundry fixed...with added smoke that was never included in BI, and smoke from chimneys of houses with chimneys.

An overview picture of the Temple complex and the Palace citadel.

Closer view of the Citadel:

And a closer view of the Temple complex:

If you're wondering why some of these buildings look..or ARE Greek...it's because the Dacians were heavily influence by Greek architecture, and they were known to employ Greek architects to build their public buildings.
    So this more accurately represents their capital city.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Amazing

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

i love your devotion...

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Fantastic work!!

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Stunning Work.

feetman's Avatar Foederatus

wow this is actually amazing, its really fantastic what you've been able to achieve here. you can really see the time and effort that's gone into it it really looks fantastic well done

feetman's Avatar Foederatus

for the Seleucid cities will you be making a distinction between military colonies with greek settlers, city foundations like antioch, apameia or seleucia, and then preexisting settlements like babylon that the Seleucids controlled? These different settlements would have had different levels of greekness and their architecture would have changed as a result, with the military settlements being most greek with more greek buildings and so on? also is seleucid colonial policy represented in roma surrectum two? This extremely vital if not defining aspect of the Seleucid empire was completely forgotten about in rome 2!

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by feetman View Post
    for the Seleucid cities will you be making a distinction between military colonies with greek settlers, city foundations like antioch, apameia or seleucia, and then preexisting settlements like babylon that the Seleucids controlled? These different settlements would have had different levels of greekness and their architecture would have changed as a result, with the military settlements being most greek with more greek buildings and so on? also is seleucid colonial policy represented in roma surrectum two? This extremely vital if not defining aspect of the Seleucid empire was completely forgotten about in rome 2!
    Absolutely. If you look back a few pages, you'll see what I did with Babylon...my attempt there was to make it look like....Babylon. Cities in the Mideast will definitely be a mixture of Eastern culture, Eastern Greek, and a more 'pure' Greek look. We tried to depict that in RS2 a little bit, but at the time it was not possible to create the variety of settlements that I am doing now.

Rome2, despite any claim to the contrary, isn't a 'historical' representation of the era. IMHO, it isn't even much better than RTW1 was in its depiction. So I guess I wouldn't expect much there until and 'IF' it can be modded.
    Last edited by dvk901; May 13, 2015 at 02:09 PM. Reason: correction

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

Well I played rome II too and I really don't like it (I also played emire tw & napoleon and I also don't like them). Actually I don't like any total war game after medieval 2. The warscape engine feels like you are playing an arcade game instead of a strategy game (and I don't like arcade games). It's also less suited for modding.

Patrician

Here are a couple shots of the 'Celtic' capital cities:

This happens to be the site of Gergovia...the capital of the Arverni. One of the things I have also been doing...in addition to tweaking and re-working the settlements, is to make those settlements look more like 'where' they were. Gergovia was on a thousand foot tall plateau...one of the reasons it was so hard for anyone to capture (no one actually ever did capture it). So I've edited the heights files as well as climate and ground files to make the terrain around the cities look more like where they were located.

I've also added and re-textured a few buildings in order to make them look more like recreations of Celtic houses....and, to separate them from the Germanic versions. My next task.

With 'Wraith's' reworked environment, this is going to look awesome.
    Last edited by dvk901; May 13, 2015 at 02:19 PM.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

epic settlement!
    are the towers of the second ring shooting to assist the first wall?

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by _Tartaros_ View Post
    epic settlement!
    are the towers of the second ring shooting to assist the first wall?
    Yes. Even though the gate doesn't behave 'exactly' like a gate (I have tried to get it to do so, but not possible), RTW still considers it a 'gateway'...so the towers shoot at units.

I've done a lot of work on this Hillfort setup, BTW. You'll note that one of the sets of walls has been removed, and a friend flattened the surrounding area for me outside the inner wall. It plays much better this way, although I must admit it is a more challenging settlement to fight in and take. The AI handles it better as well...no more units trying to get around walls and getting stuck. (At least, I've not seen it.)

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

ahh, you mean the ramparts in front of the hilltopgates.
    looks very promising