Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I second that idea! Doing that wouldn't just help Europa Barbarorum II alone, since the other antiquity-era mods for Medieval II Total War like De Bello Mundi and Invasio Barbarorum II use the same exact settlement models (which, as I've stated earlier in this thread, aren't very good at all, extremely undeveloped, especially the barren acropolis for Greek cities that are put to shame by DVK's models here for RSII).

All I can really do is stand in awe of your work, DVK901. Recently I've decided to try and modify the settlements for EB II (as mentioned above) using the IWTE. However, I'm a complete n00b when it comes to that and this is literally day #1 of me learning how to even use IWTE. I honestly wish I had your skills and experience, because I would definitely try to improve the poor fishing-village-looking settlements in EB II into something that is at least presentable and far more realistic for an ancient Greek polis or Roman city.
    I don't even know what IWTE is...which shows how much I know about MTW2. LOL I imagine the reason so little has been changed in it (as far as settlements go), is simply the difficulty of doing it, and the lack of things to do it WITH....which was the hold-up for me with RS2. That is, until Jarlaxe (HCS mod) so graciously allow me to use his buildings from Hegemonia. This fellow did an AMAZING job, and a lot of work on all of the beautiful Greek buildings, and this allowed me to adapt and use them in other ways and places. Also, the Steam version of RTW, for some strange reason, includes all of the .cas files for the original RTW buildings (whereas only the .item files were available in the CD version), this allows for RTW buildings to be re-textured and used as a different looking building, especially Temples....so that's a plus. These were never available before.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith of eternal doom View Post
    I noticed some palm trees at the harbour are floating on water. Could you remove or fix them?
    The trees are actually in the rocks, which are meant to 'simulate' a shoreline. The model I used for that palace can't be sitting on top of anything, so it actually sits on the surface of the water. It's just for 'effect', anyway. A lot of this, if you were to look closely, will have it's faults. These buildings, many of them, anyway, are 'constructs'....pieces of things put together like building blocks to make a thing that looks like a thing...if you know what I men.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Wow.
    Its amazing how much things have progressed since you first started working on settlements.
    Great work!

I am a bit disappointed with the ETA but of course i understand this is a lot of work.
    Is there any chance however that you would release a smaller update before the big custom settlement patch?

I played quite a bit with different factions and i have some small suggestions on how to improve the mod.

1.Make Legion Recruitment information available ingame. High Tier barracks dont appear in the browser so you cant tell what you can recruit in a region. The AOR maps are useful but not that immersive.

2. Roads should be available from the start in more regions(dirt roads). AI factions dont seem to build/prioritize them but they should be there.

3. You mentioned removing "Epic" Walls and with them the Nuke Towers. I think arrow towers should be buffed so that they are more dangerous and also more valuable to capture in a siege.

4. I notice a problem that AI factions have with Treasuries. Some factions just lose when their Treasury city is captured because they lose the bonuses. I think those bonuses should be split among 3-4 very important cities for most factions.
    This would be more historically accurate since more than one city would be of value, it wouldnt be as easy to exploit in a war and factions would be stronger.

5. Take advantage of the Launcher more. There are some things that could be in there as options and messing with the IMPORTANT_STUFF folder wouldnt be required.
    Options for Faster Battles submod, Map Borders and the 2nd Rebellion Script(which i have said before is not a good feature the way it is).

6. Some factions are really lacking music compared to Rome or Greece.Factions like Sarmatia or other Barbarians have 4 tracks...
    I have listened to the RS2 soundtrack and picked some which could be featured by all factions since they dont sound "culture specific".
    -Another Battle
    -Another 3 Battle
    -Battle Theme 2
    -Battle Thrill
    -Celtic Summer luxury(campaign map)
    -Desire Strings
    -Eastern Battle(not eastern at all)
    -Field of Swords
    -Iapygian Battle Draft
    -One nation
    -Only a Dream(campaign)
    -The Great Empire(campaign)
    -Storm

I also noticed that the RS intro doesnt play on BI.exe/ALX.exe and there are some barbarian War Cries which are sounds from LOTR. Orc sounds really break immersion and should be removed but the others are great.
    I keep seeing that units that exit Testudo stay in a very dense formation after and dont go back to the default one. Can someone confirm this?

There should be more loading quotes instead of just one. You can try to place them in the loading image so that you still avoid the CTD problem. Not perfect but there would be more than one. We could select a few really good quotes.

Most of this stuff would just improve the quality of the mod so there is no reason not to do it.
    I've put all your thoughts and ideas in my big 'file of RS2 improvement ideas'....which I will eventually go through and implement...as many as can be, anyway.

I know the ETA for this is long...I have 14 custom settlements to complete as yet, but it's getting easier because I have a good idea of what I'm doing, and a lot of background work already done. Will it be worth the wait? I don't know. But even if I did it just for myself...that's fine. I like this game, and I like working on it.

Now working on Babylon, and I have some kick-ass ideas for it.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Will it be worth the wait?
    I have the confidence YES!

Amazing work DVK901. I sure your work worth the wait.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I don't even know what IWTE is...which shows how much I know about MTW2. LOL I imagine the reason so little has been changed in it (as far as settlements go), is simply the difficulty of doing it, and the lack of things to do it WITH....which was the hold-up for me with RS2. That is, until Jarlaxe (HCS mod) so graciously allow me to use his buildings from Hegemonia. This fellow did an AMAZING job, and a lot of work on all of the beautiful Greek buildings, and this allowed me to adapt and use them in other ways and places. Also, the Steam version of RTW, for some strange reason, includes all of the .cas files for the original RTW buildings (whereas only the .item files were available in the CD version), this allows for RTW buildings to be re-textured and used as a different looking building, especially Temples....so that's a plus. These were never available before.
    IWTE stands for the Integrated World Terrain Editor (the link has tutorials, it's fairly straightforward for an experienced modder like yourself, but daunting for a total newbie like me). It was created for editing M2TW engine mods. Here's the link for the free download if you're interested.

It was used by Rhaymo to create these settlements for his DBM mod. As he explains here, he imported the buildings from RTW! It took him a while to do that, since they were in a different file format and required new texture mapping, but he was able to achieve this. The problem is that most of these buildings often don't show up on the battle map as they are intended. It's even worse for EB II, which somehow didn't incorporate any of his structures aside from residential ones. For instance, in Greek cities on the battle map the academy, governor's palace, and main temple do not show up at all as they are supposed to in DBM.

I think the whole EB II team, plus the DBM and Invasio Barbarorum II teams would be so grateful if you would be so gracious as to spruce these settlements up just a bit. Nothing too much, just a little improvement would really go a long way. I for one would be ecstatic, and would rep you every week for the rest of my natural life. You know what? Do you have PayPal? I'm 100% serious in offering you some money via PayPal ($20, $30, maybe even $50) if you would tackle one little job of improving Greek city models just a bit (adding a few temples here and there, plus an ancient theatre, for instance, to make the settlement look more authentic and less bland and dull).

I understand if you're too busy. Aren't we all? If I wasn't such a hopeless newbie I would have done all of this myself. And I understand that time is precious to everyone. That's why I wouldn't mind handing over cash for services rendered, which you really deserve for RSII anyway. Your devotion to modding and creation of unique settlements is godlike!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    It was used by Rhaymo to create these settlements for his DBM mod. As he explains here, he imported the buildings from RTW! It took him a while to do that, since they were in a different file format and required new texture mapping, but he was able to achieve this. The problem is that most of these buildings often don't show up on the battle map as they are intended. It's even worse for EB II, which somehow didn't incorporate any of his structures aside from residential ones. For instance, in Greek cities on the battle map the academy, governor's palace, and main temple do not show up at all as they are supposed to in DBM.
    Nope, Rhaymo didnt use the IWTE, the DBM team developed their own tool, thats where all the problems with buildings not showing up come from. When exporting the settlements from their tool over to the IWTE all techtrees (temples, academies, ...) got deleted :/

Civis

Alexandria is perfect.. well Babylon? or Massilia or Antioch or Numantia, or Londinium or my favorite Thracian cities xD or Athena and Sparta and Thesalonica. Pergamon city or capital of Pontus, Capital of Armenia, capital of Dacia , all capitals in all nations,??

Patrician

Now here's a city RTW has never seen before:

Government building and market view:

Re-textured hanging gardens:

Back view of the Ishtar Gate:

Front view of Ishtar Gate and overview of the city:

Royal Palace complex at the foot of the Ziggarut:

Re-worked eastern temple and Greek theater:

View of the city from the back:

I know you're wondering...how in the world did I build that gate. Well, RTW object mightily, but I beat it into submission.
    Actually, the whole structure is just a 'building'. The Ishatr gate block access to the 'real' inner gate, and must be taken down with stone throwers. When destroyed, the gate collapses into a pile of rubble (not the best looking thing, but the only one that didn't make it look like troops disappeared walking thru it). Then you can enter the death march to the gate...unless you take out the towers. LOL

And...a shot of Memphis:
    Last edited by dvk901; March 27, 2015 at 08:52 PM.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Stath's's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Dear God.....

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

absolutly beautifull...

hrolphi's Avatar Libertus

Yees yes yes! That is magnificent!
    Thanks for the great work!

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Awsome I always withed to see realistic bayblon when I was playing Riso of Persia. Are you planing to add Euphrates later or it is not possible to add it to the settlement battle map?

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

beatyfull, it´s a pity to destroy the Ishatr gate, but that´s the way

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by demagogos nicator View Post
    Awsome I always withed to see realistic bayblon when I was playing Riso of Persia. Are you planing to add Euphrates later or it is not possible to add it to the settlement battle map?
    As hard as I have tried, I have never been able to get a settlement close enough to a river so you could even see it very well. I think the reason is that a river goes down the center of the RTW battle map, which leaves no room for a settlement to sit in the same place (the center). It's different with the ocean, because that's just part of the landscape.

Adding it 'manually' might be tediously possible, but the surrounding areas around settlements are never totally flat, so the river would either go off into the air, or underground. Too bad, it would add a nice touch of realism to many cities.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

OMG, I have no words...

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

oh boy oh boy it gets beter and beter.is it worth the wait? hell yea even if it takes you ''10 years'' to complete.im still here to play that awesomeness
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

tomySVK's Avatar Campidoctor

Pure art!

Patrician

Continuing on, some shots out east:

Antioch, a custom city:

Overlooking a river and the ocean.

Van in Armenia, a Fortress city on a mountain overlooking lake Van:

And Armavir in Armenia:

A type of eastern city that I separated from typically 'Seleucid eastern' to a more northern mid-east version with less or no Greek influence.

Now on to Jerusalem.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Splendid work
    Great keep going!

A-mazing!