Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

Civis

Default Re: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

briliant, dvkEngine haha

ToonTotalWar's Avatar Indefinitely Banned

Great stuff here and by God some commitment from dvk to make these!

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    Thanks for putting this together...and to all who have commented. I appreciate it a lot. I haven't been entirely idle concerning this...basically putting together in my mind what I want to do for the other cultures, and rounding up artwork and ideas. The research part of it is quite hard...at least, to come up with workable ideas I can put into the framework I'm given in this game.

The next challenge will be converting many of the HCS buildings that I 'saved' for use as Eastern\Carthaginian\Egyptian buildings by altering textures with artwork that matches the culture....at the same time removing old buildings to make way for the new ones. It's pretty tedious, and I have avoided really diving into it yet because I know myself......once I dig in, the addiction to it will 'consume' me for a good while. Tone knows exactly what I'm talking about!

But I am hoping to resume the quest soon.
    This is precisely what RTW mods need: better, more authentic settlements! The vanilla settlements don't live up to that standard, but yours are just divine. At the very least you deserve +1 rep, if not a salary for all your hard work and dedication. Hell, if you're on PayPal, I wouldn't mind throwing you $10 or something as encouragement.

I recently raised the issue of improving the models for settlements in Medieval II mods focusing on the Greco-Roman era (i.e. De Bello Mundi, Europa Barbarorum II, Invasio Barbarorum II). The current models they have are pretty bland, uninspiring, undeveloped, and lack monumental architecture (although alin over at EB II did fabulous work re-skinning the walls). I recently suggested to them that they consider getting permission to use Natus ob Imperium's custom settlements, which alin says his team is working on, but has no one to port them! Here's what they look like, absolutely glorious:

Sometime in the future, DVK, with your brilliant skills, you should consider lending a hand to the guys over at Europa Barbarorum II, especially since a large part of their development team has left them, possibly for good (see their unfortunate Christmas message).

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

is there also an english version of that mod?it looks a nice one to,with very nice city of corinth.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

I am impressed that after all those years, when one might think that a game like RS has reached perfection in its own way, and you think that good old RTW has seen a Plethora of mods, there is again and again something new coming from dvk...Great stuff!

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Well, I've started work on this again you'll be happy to know. Watched the YouTube videos....and have to say I'm a bit jealous of the settlements in the sense that they aren't all flat like RTW's are. But oh well, making the best of them for this old girl.

The last of the Greek 'sets' are present here, and will show a much smaller settlement that will be used for some Greek settlements, and an 'Eastern-Greek' set that will be used for Greek settlements in the east and around the Med. Bearing in mind that Greek culture and art was all over the known world, especially since Alexander conquered most of the east on our map; eastern settlements will have a more 'Greekish' look. Besides, I don't really have many eastern buildings that are any good anyway. LOL.

This is a pic of an eastern-Greek city 'Agora', that has grown in time.

And this is the same Agora or marketplace in a town. As you can see, there is a fluid growth over time.

This a pic of the eastern-Greek settlement with many flat roofed buildings that will make it look more eastern, but with a mix of Greek buildings which you'll see in the following pictures.

The following are pictures from different angles of a more 'pure' Greek settlement

The last picture shows a ruined temple in the town, which is eventually replaced by the Agora.

The overall idea is to use some...if not most...smaller 'user\game\siege friendly' settlements with more straightforward
    path finding. I've tested all of these settlement models for playability and just 'fun', and am just attempting to use the best of them where I can. Historically important and larger cities will, of course, use larger settlement models. Faction capitals will be larger, for example. And naturally, famous eastern cities....which I am now beginning to work on.
    Last edited by dvk901; February 04, 2015 at 01:21 PM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Looks great!!

_Tartaros_'s Avatar "Harzschütze"

still this looks much better than rome vanilla!
    most time i didn´t have the time to enjoy all small gimmicks in modern games like romeII, so this is becoming a bit obsolet.
    Hope that sometime a team would create such a quility for me2 engine (besides fantasy-mods)

Absolutely amazing.
    Beautiful work, will this be out for 3.0?
    I had shiver down my spine looking at these

Edit - Will there also be custom settlements as in on the campaign map will they look different? (just wondering)

Patrician

I am considering using Strat models for the Greeks that RTR has given me permission to use. The rest will stay the same.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Great, they fit in 100%!

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Great pictures, amazing stuff!

Iustinianos's Avatar Centenarius

Amazing work, looks absolutely stunning.
    It looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast...

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

Looks amazing

Looks amazing!

Hey DVK! Long time. Excellent work. Tell the rest of the guys i said, hey. After i switched to Windows 7, its been a pain trying to reload everything. But i think its OK now. Take care, God bless.

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

windows7 is very handy

Patrician

Progressing on Eastern and Egyptian settlements:

Eastern default settlements

Egyptian town:

Trying hard to make things 'look' more Rome2-ish....using the best of all buildings I can find in RTW. Anything that looks stupid or like a cardboard box is jettisoned. There are some pretty nice buildings in RTW, but they were relegated to villages and towns and then not used in larger settlements in favor of huge boxy 'high speed loading' buildings...if I dare call them that. So I've created similar size 'groups' of these smaller dwellings and replaced the huge ugly squarish box buildings.
    Last edited by dvk901; February 11, 2015 at 08:54 AM.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

WOW, incredible pics, as usual!
    Great work, DVK!
    Thanks!

neep's Avatar Tiro

So awesome.
    All I could think was "Yummy, I want to attack those cities !"