Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Re: DVK901's work on custom settlements,THE PICTURES

The way the new trait system will work is as so:

1. A new faction leader will always be given a hidden trait named 'Time to decide', which will initiate the 'possibilities' of a revolt when the faction leader:
    a. Is or has become the 'Dictator for Life'...in effect, the new Caesar.
    b. Becomes the new faction leader after Caesar and has the 'Imperator' trait.

2. All other characters will see that the faction leader has one or the other of these traits, and will be given either a 'Supports the Imperator' trait, or 'Does not Support Imperator'. The decision here will be tipped slightly more to NOT supporting the Imperator when the Dictator appears. But after that, the decision will be very random and characters will be assigned either trait until all have one or the other. This reduces or increases their Loyalty, but it doesn't cause a rebellion on it's own.

3. What will cause a rebellion is that the Dictator or new Emperor will be assigned either a hidden trait 'Civil War' or 'No Civil War'. The player will not see which it is, but all characters will look at the FL trait again, and if he has a 'Civil War' trait, their will be a rebellion. This will ignite a war with the 'Senate', or the shadowing Roman faction, and certain major cities will rebel as well.....Rome (if you the player owns it), Byzantium, Syracuse, Pergamon, Alexandria, etc....but not a wholesale grouping of regions as before (necessarily). The player may be able to save some regions by moving the Governor out of the city, but some are going to rebel anyway as they will be scripted.

If the FL gets the 'No Civil War' trait instead, then there will be no widespread rebellion. Characters will still support or not support the leader, with subsequent higher or lower loyalty...and a few might rebel if their loyalty was already low, but no cities will rebel.

4. In each case where a new faction leader comes into the picture, the FL will also get a trait called 'New Faction Leader'....all characters will see this, and their support or not support traits will all be reset to '0'...and the decision process starts all over again.

5. The FL will also be assigned, randomly, several traits that allow him to (at various levels) Trust his Generals, Keep watch over them closely, or entirely distrust them. Whichever one he has, characters will respond by randomly getting 'Feels content' traits, or 'Discontented' traits...allowing the General more loyalty (content) or less (discontent). Discontented Generals will be more likely to not support a new FL, and rebel, but they won't necessarily cause any trouble...everything is random. Even Content Generals could not support a FL and rebel if there is a civil war.

6. Additional traits I'm throwing into the mix will reflect more historical events....but at any random time. These traits will involve a general or Governor (for example), marrying an Egyptian Princess and declaring himself Pharaoh. Various regions in Egypt will revolt assuming the player holds them. But, this will be very random, and based on him being the governor of Alexandria, and the Propraetor of Egypt. He'll be given a 'chance' to get this trait (still a WIP), but then another 'Kill' trait will kill the trigger and he'll never have another, until he dies and the next guy comes along. So his Egyptian Princess will try to 'convince' him to rebel, but he will 'decide' either to do so, or not....randomly.

Another is a bit more 'ominous'.....a character who is the Governor of Byzantium will demand that he be made 'Co-Emperor'. Again, the demand will be random and the trait decision process will either happen or not, and then be stopped from happening for THAT character. The way to prevent a revolt will be to make this character the faction heir, which will subsequently give him the trait 'Co-Emperor'. He'll be happy...no revolt. Fail to make him the heir, and a substantial part of your eastern Empire (assuming you own various regions), will revolt with him. From then on, the FL and the faction heir will be 'Co-Emperors'. I haven't envisioned yet how to switch it back to one Emperor, but we'll see.

Similar events will be coded for Gaul, Briton and Spain.

The idea here is that one could go on for many, many turns without a glitch or a rebellion in your Empire....but as it was in the real Empire, there will be some inevitable event that causes a revolt, whether it be discontent with a new Emperor, or the ambitions of some character who may well be just a nobody you weren't even paying any attention to, a or very valued General or Governor who blindsides you. And best of all....you'll have no way of predicting much of anything.
    Last edited by dvk901; November 04, 2015 at 11:08 AM.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Lots of interesting ideas here! I also like the idea that the Senate may return. I'd like to have that for my own mod too, but I haven't found a solution yet, because RTH has no Roman Rebel faction. So I'm very curious to see how you're going to do it.
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

Domesticus

I know there's a focus on Rome in this mod, but what are the chancse of having similar events happen for other factions? That is: full scale revolts instead of random generals at the head of an army rebelling and running off with said forces.

It would be great if this was added to all factions.
    I have talked about this before.
    Making large empires late game more fragile will add more challenge to the game. Having to deal with small rebellions might stop you from snowballing the whole map.

Patrician

One of my goals from the start was to make all of these 'rebellion' traits as general as possible, with multiple ways of applying them to ANY faction...as long as there is a faction that can be 'rebelled to'. With Greek factions, this is quite easy. All Greek factions can rebel to the Independent Greek Cities faction. Barbarian factions can rebel to the Free Barbarian faction, etc. Once the 'ground work', shall we say, is in place for these kinds of rebellions, it will be relatively easy to plug in almost any faction.

@Philadelphos: Yes, it is a big problem if you have no faction slot to use for a rebel faction...however, the mod I am testing this in is my own personal mod, a sort of RS1.6/RS2 hybrid, that starts, as RS1.6 did, with Pyrrhus in southern Italy. That caused a bit of a problem for me when I went to add the Capuan rebellion when Hannibal invaded Italy in 217BC. It would make no sense to have the Capuans revolt to a Roman rebel faction, much less the Senate, so I made the cities rebel to the Slave faction, and the characters who rebel just get kicked out and go to the rebel faction. Armies are spawned in the cities, and it's just as annoying and troublesome as having them rebel to a 'real' rebel faction. You still lose the cities and their income, and you still have to go and take them back. So really, having rebellions to the Slave faction is just as effective. In the case of the Capuan rebellion, a few cities go to the Slave faction, with spawned armies, and then two full stack Carthaginian armies appear just outside Capua.....so you both issues to deal with.

It's actually quite useful to have two factions one can use for this, but even the single Slave faction could work fine.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Domesticus

I was hoping, or refering to, something more specific for the rest of the factions, but that would probably require additional factions slots or further trait work done.

Something like, for example, with Sparta, at some point the FL becomes leader of the Corinthian League. One could explore that as an option for revolt and create some sort of faction other than the just plain greek one.

Or revolting settlements returning to their previous holder, like if you take a barbarian settlement and can't maintain order for, say, 10 turns and if the previous owner held for a number higher than that, then it returns to them.

I dunno, i just feel like - from ignorance since i have no idea how the innerworkings of the mod function - there's room for several scenarios.

Are you triggering these revolts all through character traits or are there other scripts involved?
    Creator of Rome Total History
    Rome 2 sucks, EB, RS and RTR were yesterday...
    Don't you feel like it's time to move on?
    Explore the ancient world, fight epic battles,
    conquer beautiful queens and princesses...
    Try a new groundbreaking mod:
    Experience Rome Total History!
    Play RTH or wait for Rome 3!

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold View Post
    I was hoping, or refering to, something more specific for the rest of the factions, but that would probably require additional factions slots or further trait work done.

Something like, for example, with Sparta, at some point the FL becomes leader of the Corinthian League. One could explore that as an option for revolt and create some sort of faction other than the just plain greek one.

Or revolting settlements returning to their previous holder, like if you take a barbarian settlement and can't maintain order for, say, 10 turns and if the previous owner held for a number higher than that, then it returns to them.

I dunno, i just feel like - from ignorance since i have no idea how the innerworkings of the mod function - there's room for several scenarios.
    I understand what you're saying, however, the abilities to revolt are just plain limited in RTW. Sometimes, a city may well revolt back to its previous owner...but not always. And if you have a faction that is shadowing another faction, the mechanism dictates that all revolting settlements revolt to that faction....unless you script it otherwise. Which be an astronomical task if you wanted various settlements to revolt to 'this' faction or 'that' one.

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphos View Post
    Are you triggering these revolts all through character traits or are there other scripts involved?
    The conditions for revolt are all set up through a series of gained traits by the FL and characters.....what happens as 'a result of' characters rebelling is handled by scripting. So it's a combination of both.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    the mod I am testing this in is my own personal mod, a sort of RS1.6/RS2 hybrid, that starts, as RS1.6 did, with Pyrrhus in southern Italy.
    Hi DVK,

my question is if you are using some background script for your personal 1.6 and if, what kind of script because I'm still playing 1.6 too from time to time, and I would like to add a simple money controll script in it, if it's possible.

Thanks in advance!
    ferike_2007

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by ferike_2007 View Post
    Hi DVK,

my question is if you are using some background script for your personal 1.6 and if, what kind of script because I'm still playing 1.6 too from time to time, and I would like to add a simple money controll script in it, if it's possible.

Thanks in advance!
    ferike_2007
    I'll see what I can come up with.....didn't know anyone still played good old RS1.6.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

ferike_2007's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by dvk901 View Post
    I'll see what I can come up with.....didn't know anyone still played good old RS1.6.
    Oh, yes... is hard to give up and forget your first love

Is this update still planned for Christmas/this year? I remember you said that you hoped to release it by the end of the year.

Patrician

Yes, that is my hope.

R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Thats good news. I think i am gonna start playing 2.6 again. Havent done that in a long while.
    First i need to figure how to disable the second rebellion. I hate it with a passion and cant wait for the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by romanius24 View Post
    Thats good news. I think i am gonna start playing 2.6 again. Havent done that in a long while.
    First i need to figure how to disable the second rebellion. I hate it with a passion and cant wait for the changes.
    There is a thread where I posted the (very simple) edit you need to do.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

Indeed. Very simple change that is save compatible too.
    I just changed the line 'and I_NumberOfSettlements romans_brutii >= 85' in the 'export_descr_character_traits' file to a larger number. (198 if you want to completely disable it)

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...sav-compatible

Quintillius,

That is so rude, so selfish, so insulting that I'll have to content myself with telling you to p*** off.

Go get a life.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

o.O , why you so rude xD, it's just a random post that you can safely ignore , if you wish

Quote Originally Posted by ur-Lord Tedric View Post
    Quintillius,

That is so rude, so selfish, so insulting that I'll have to content myself with telling you to p*** off.

Go get a life.
    Well I obviously don't want to insult anyone, I just want to keep this forum alive and get any news/pics of the update. If you have a problem with it, ignore it.