Thread: Mariner-Style Infantry for Tharabad?

Default Mariner-Style Infantry for Tharabad?

I noticed that the City-Kingdom of Tharabad doesn't have the option to recruit Mariner infantry like RK does. This is a little confusing to me: Tharabad is a trade-based kingdom with powerful naval capabilities, positioned to expand into a much larger sea-based kingdom. With this in mind, it is a little confusing that the only "Mariner" type infantry they are able to recruit are archers. Why can't they recruit Mariner-style swordsmen rivaling or even surpassing those of RK? Shouldn't they be able to? They already have the Merchant Guard, which bear a heavy resemblance to the RK Mariners, so a "lesser," recruit-able form of these guys for Tharabad makes sense (at least in my mind). They could be called "Merchant Infantry" or something.

Such a unit wouldn't be all that hard to make; it could even just be a reskin of the current RK Mariner with a Tharabad shield and colors. I also get that the current RK Mariner is supposed to be a "distinctive" RK unit, so I guess the other option would be to make a lightly armed sword unit that could swim but doesn't necessarily look exactly like the RK Mariner (maybe like the RK Mariner but minus the helmet or something). Is there any existing plan to do this? Or is what I'm proposing completely new? Right now, it just feels a little odd having to load "Tower Swordsmen" into my ships (who can't swim) to act as my sea-borne infantry when RK has Mariners (who can swim) to do the same job. I want some Mariner infantry to complement my Mariner archers!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Mariner-Style Infantry for Tharabad?

Its a very reasonable suggestion, but we arent looking to add any new units to individual factions at this stage.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

As soon as the final release is out, I'm certain we can start messing around with the files.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Why not start doing so already? I believe especially good submods will be included in the final version.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Will be considered for it, but only really in cases where they add something to the mod (such as new ui, or custom settlements).

But by all means don't wait for the final release if you want to play around with your own copies - just keep in mind that for reasons of consistency feedback should only be based on the unmodified mod (har har).

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

No worries, I'm already thinking about a thing or two. Number one is to add that huuuuuuuge collection of quotes from the First Age.

Tharbad could definitely use a more impressive bodyguard, then the bodyguard could just be used as mariners.

The mod is very complex (maybe too complex to find something worth adding and too complex to really understand all the mechanics), FATW certainly doesn't have the need for as many submods as TATW (TATW vanilla lacks a bunch of factions, AoR, complex building system etc.; and of course M2TW offer more possibilities). Altering buildings and settlement plans is beyond basic modding, unfortunately.
    So we could focus on expanding the unit roster, some factions do need some love.
    And some lore markers are still missing or need some more info. Dunno what the team is up to regarding this point, though.
    Maybe we should gather ideas somewhere.
    Last edited by Thangaror; January 12, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Cramming more lore into the mod is definitely something we are interested in.

Im going to release some files that make it a bit easier for people to make custom settlements using our existing buildings, Im hoping it might get a bit of interest (of course you still need 3ds max and some 3d modelling knowledge, so its not super simple)

WRT expanding rosters of course whatever people what for their own play is fine, but if you want it to fit in with the themes of the mod itself keep in mind that the factions are supposed to be very unequal in power, some of them are extremely minor bit players, and their rosters reflect that. Also, some people like the challenge of playing with a very small selection of troops.

I was wanting to set up a subforum here for submods, but we cant do that until we actually have some to justify its use. Quite keen to see what you come up with!