Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [CK2 AGOT] Last but not Least: An Ironborn AAR

Default Re: [CK2 AGOT] Last but not Least: An Ironborn AAR

Chapter X:

"-Lost in thoughts again, cousin?"
    "-Aye. Dark ones this time."
    "-Surprise me just for once, please."
    Theomore could not take his eyes from the frozen shores. Landfall was two hours away from what he could tell.
    "We are closing. You want me to order the men to get ready?"
    "-Yes. Is the oil ready for the bonfire?"
    "-Yes my king. They will see it from miles away. I guarantee that."
    "-Good, but before you give the order I want to have a word with you. Lets go inside, its freezing out here."

"-What is bothering your mind this time?"
    "-I cant stop thinking about the civil war on the south."
    "-Really? We are close to facing Death himself at these shores, and your mind is traveling south?"
    "-Think about the situation. The war's in its conclusive stage. Brandon has sent his armies south to rescue his son, Whether the outcome of his plans, someone is gonna win this."
    "-Yes, and then the victor is gonna march north, either at Winterfell first and then here, or directly here. But they will be late because we will be sailing back victorious from here, or dead."
    "-I said conclusive, but not final. Their war is gonna last for long. But that's not what bothers me. Its the Iron Islands who are menless right now."
    "-How in hell is our home threatened by this situation cousin?"
    "-Lets analyze the possible outcomes of this civil war, shall we?"
    "-First of all, I'm not betting any gold on Kenning and that Tommen of Yunkai guy. He has only some houses of the westerlands with him on this and seeing a fleet landing armies from Yunkai will surprise me more than when I saw the white walker's head for the first time."
    "-I share your thoughts on this. Lythene has with her the other half of the Westerlands with the Cleganes and the full force of the Crownlands, which is at least the double number of Kenning's force. Most probably the cripple Stark is gonna win this. The other two are fighting for more than a year now against each other and he will come from the North with its full host plus the Riverland's."
    "-And then, he will come here, why would he assault the Iron Isles?"
    "-No, if he wins the Westerlands back for his son and Elyanna Lannister, then his attention will turn for Kings Landing itself, which will by then be left alone with only its garrison. Conducting a siege on the capital will take a lot of time, which will leave us here without valuable reinforcements, as we are going to suffer heavy loses."
    "-Who knows, maybe during that time the cravens of Dorne and the Vale may follow the example of the other lords and come to the Bastard of Winterfell's aid."
    "-They didn't till now, they wont. Some books say that there's magic on the wall, and it is enough to keep the Others at bay. They simply don't want to spend soldiers, gold and supplies for a war that they will get nothing in return."
    "-Again, how's that a threat to us?"
    "-That was the best possible outcome for us. What if the throne finds a way and win this war?"
    "-Bugger me with a bloody spear! How is she going to win a war against the untouched, combined might of the North and Riverlands without any damn ally? Your imagination is running wild here."
    "-We have to be prepared Dale. The Others are not our only enemy here, and the men who are on the same side of the wall are not exactly our allies, you said that too."
    "-Lets presume then, that somehow, the cub of the Iron Throne finds a way to come out victorious. Who knows, maybe she found a way to resurrect both her great-grandfather Tywin and the Dragons of the Red Keep from the dead, she and her dumb husband then rides the dragons to battle and fries alive the Stark Host. Then what?"
    "-Stop it Dale! I'm just saying. Few decades ago most would put their gold on the Young Wolf's side, but he didn't at all win the war. Now, a man would put his gold on the North again but it is his smaller brother who is fighting the somehow same war and he is not the undefeated Young Wolf, he is a damned cripple. If the Iron Throne wins, is going to be at the best place to start punishing rebels, both old and new. The Iron Isles, the Riverlands and the North are left without men after the Queens victory. No matter where she directs her retaliation, directly or indirectly we will be harmed, as The North is providing most of the supplies to the Wall right now."
    "-Phew, it must be a true hell living in your brains cousin. There's only one solution to all these."
    "-Enlighten me Dale, surprise me."
    "-We finish our job quickly here, so that after this, we are either dead or quick enough to be at the Iron Isles."
    "-Truth be told, this is the only thing we can do for now. But there's something here. Something is not right..."
    "-Wear your armor and take your axes. That's what I say, and leave the schemes for now. Though I would recommend leaving one of them behind and taking a shield instead. Only Stormcaller is gonna help you against them."
    "-You are not my teacher anymore Dale, I know how I want to fight."
    "-You're lucky you're my King now, differently I would take that ing shield and shoved it up your arse."
    _________

As the Howl approached the shore, Theomore was geared up, with his two axes in hand. The young king was the first one to touch the ground, he wanted to lead his army personally. The men and the captains would never follow a man who has never been in a battle before and sit back and watch. I have to do this.
    After him, the ironborn jumped out too. They were used to land and then rush to the villages or the castles of the people they intended to raid, but this was different, the shore was empty. They walked and looked around, with fear clear in their eyes.
    "What are you waiting for? You know your orders! Light up the bonfire! The rest, get your groups and follow me to the woods. I am not gonna give any inspiring speech here, lets get this done!"
    Theomore didn't have in mind the value of keeping his men's morale high by that time, and that was justified, as he was also scared of the things he was about to see. How could he give courage to his men when he was fear-struck than them?

"I have to do this. I have to" He kept telling to himself.

The men were preparing the bonfires, and the groups were already spread into the woods. The plan was to assault small bands of White Walkers, and if they would encounter groups even at the same size as theirs they had to run back to the longships.
    Theomore didn't have to wait for long to encounter the first one. The brothers informed his that the Others somehow could sense them.

Theomore too felt him before he saw him. The cold instantly became heavier. Even breathing at the Other's presence was causing a heavy pain in his lungs. The cold struck Theomore and his group and they standed there like frozen statues.

The Walker's eyes were stuck at Theomore, and was moving towards him. An arrow flied next to him, missing. The next one found the Walker's right hand, but he didn't seem to even notice it.
    "-Are you deaf? You weren't listening when they told you that only flaming arrows are supposed to hurt them?" Theomore yelled at the soldier.
    The Other kept walking towards the Ironborn, but he was not in rush, as like he was sure that they could not run to save themselves. As he was walking to them, they were taking steps behind trying to keep a distance.
    Theomore said to himself one more time "I have to do this". He grinded his teeth and prepared to assault the White Walker. The same moment, another bursted upon them from the right.
    At he sight of the second white walker, a soldier threw his axe on the snow and run away.
    "Useless !" Theomore erupted.
    "Stand your ground! I'll take the first one, you try and set the other ablaze"
    Theomore rushed to the one in front of him, and as he took the first step he realized that a shield was something that he wanted more than anything in he world now.

He raised his left axe first and landed a blow on the walker's high left side. the Other parried with ease, and then Theomore swung Stormcaller with his right arm under his left, trying to startle the Other. He wasn't surprised; he saw the axe coning to his stomach, but he didn't took a step back. Theomore was the one surprised; at first at least.
    "Why-"
    The White Walker did not take a step back and Stormcaller landed on him with Theomore's full force.

Theomore was speechless. He didn't expect at all that Valyrian Steel was that effective against them. His eyes were stuck at the puddle for some moments. A hand touched him on the back and Theomore turned around frightened. He saw a Drowned Man, almost a head shorter than him but with arms that grabbed him and felt like pincers.

"You are blessed by the Drowned God my King. You're His scourge that will banish the Others from this world, Now go and show to your men that you are the one chosen. Show them."

As he said those words the priest poured a flask of sea water on Theomore's head. The water instantly turned to ice on his hair, and the ice shocked him. Without saying a single word, only letting out a warcry Theomore rushed to the remaining Other and jumped on him like a fierce beast. The men stood and watched as their King landed one blow after another on the Other. Theomore's foe parried every single strike with ease.
    After a series of blows, Theomore took a step back. His heart was now beating faster than when he crossed the first one, his head was hurting from the priest's water that had now turned to ice. Drops of sweat flowed from his forehead to his lips, melting the ice crystals and relieved steam around him. The drops reached his lips. Salt. That was it, the salt of the sea was pouring from his body.

"I AM THE KING OF SALT AND ROCK! I AM THE DROWNED GOD'S SCOURGE"

The Other was not intimidated by the young man's shouts. For the first time he grabbed his icy sword with both hands and attacked by dropping it towards Theomore's head from his right side. That was the opening Theomore needed; he rolled to his left, dodging the strike and instantly retaliated with his right hand, the one which held Stormcaller.

Words of the Iron King's heroic battle reached the ears of every man in his host. Urzen, the Drowned Man who was present made sure of it. Once his party came back where the ships were, he started orating, telling the story and also claimed that the young king was the Ironborn's hope against the darkness.

He also blessed Theomore in a ritual held in front of the whole army to see.

ccllnply's Avatar Tribunus

Very nice! I really like the combat descriptions with the White Walkers, keep it up!

Chapter XI

"BRACE YOURSELVES!"

"STAY STRON MEN!, DONT LET THEM TAKE ANOTHER STEP TOWARDS THE WALL"
    "Doran! Doran! Go to Loras! Tell them to take his men back to the wall. We're retreating. Tell him the Night's Watch will cover their retreat. NOW!"

We've been fighting them for hours, but their numbers don’t seem to grow fewer. It’s like there's no end to them
    As the months passed, Lord Commander Jon Snow was talking more and more to himself. He couldn't afford to share everything he saw when he ventured beyond the Wall for the second time. He was lucky that no one else survived from his team of rangers to tell the others back at the Wall. No, morale is already low enough, we must not let it fall even lower.
    "NOW MEN! LIGHT THE BONFIRES AND GET BACK TO THE WALL! BLOW THE HORN! RETREAT!"

Dale greeted the guard and walked inside the King’s room in the Howl. He was holding a letter that he just received from Castle Black. The winds were freezing cold as always up there. It was the second time today he thought of drinking some wine to help him bear the cold, but he could not do it. He swore to remain sober as long as the King’s crusade against the dead lasted, for the sober Dale was the Dale his small cousin needed most.
    Inside the cabin Theomore was accompanied by Urzen, the Drowned Man who blessed the King on the first day the Ironborn battled the Others. Since that day things went according to the plan, but no one could tell if any progress was made. The White Walkers kept coming and the Ironborn were slaying them –with heavy casualties though- but their numbers did not change nor their main force was anywhere nearby to be found. The Iron King was fighting a war against an enemy which no one could understand, scout nor even try to predict his next move. Hence, it was a war against the unknown. Theomore didn’t see what’s wrong with that, as long as he and the Ironborn seemed to kill more White Walkers than the men they were losing, but Dale was at least worried about that. And now the last report from Jon Snow raised his concerns even more.
    “Greetings your grace. A raven came from Castle Black; Lord Commander Jon Snow sent report about his last try to fight the Others outside the Wall.”
    “Let me see it” Theomore answered flatly.
    Little Theomore has changed a lot. Dale thought while inspecting his King. He killed the boy he was when we set foot on this cursed shores. He is a capable captain and he earned the respect and admiration of his men. The first day was an excellent example of his capabilities. But are the young Iron King’s traits enough to fight against the unknown?
    “Them Greenlanders are useless!” Theomore said agnrily interrupting Dale's thoughts and threw the letter away towards Urzen.
    The Drowned Man read it carefully and nodded in agreement to his King.
    “You see my King? I was right. This war is indeed in our hands to win or lose. And following their orders won’t help us at all. It is them who should be following orders, not us. For we are the Ironborn and you, our Iron King is the Drowned God’s chosen, the scourge of His enemies.”
    “What is dead may never die!” Theomore and Urzen said together. The priest then stood up and left the king’s cabin staring on Dale as he walked by.
    Dale payed no mind on the Drowned Man and took his place on the chair across Theomore.
    "Also Thormor Ironmaker reports that news of your first battle against the Others reached the Wall. He and the other men we left behind on the Wall are overjoyed now that we have a man chosen by our God to lead us" Dale said with laughter. "Young or old, the men are in need of tales and prophecies; And now more than ever. It serves us for the time though."
    "You disagree with the men Dale?"
    Dale's laughter stopped abruptly. Theomore was serious about that.
    "As long as I remember you were not the religious type, cousin."
    "I was a sinner, indeed. But that changed. My faith in the Drowned God is unquestioned. I realized many things during our time up here. Urzen has opened my eyes on many things."
    "I admired how you matured so quickly by undergoing those rituals. I thought you did it for the sake of the men's morale. Dont tell me that you trully believe the priest's prophecies."
    "Watch your tongue. Especially when you are talking about the Drowned Man, and your King."
    "How exaxlty did the priest opened your eyes, your Grace?"
    "If it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here today. I was scared to death when we set foot on the shores for I was a sinner and an infidel. I had our faith for just a tradition of our people. But it is not. He gave me the power to stand up for what the Drowned God planned for me to do. That's how he oppened my eyes."
    "You were scared because you are a man and you fear death. And because what we've seen here has made everyone in their pants. You came back alive while some other didn't because your weapon is one that can kill them and of course because your father trained you well in the art of killing. Thats how I explain what happened but this matter is not for me to be concerned about. Im here to give you consult on the matters of tactics and war, not faith."
    "Im your King and you are here to obey my orders. And our faith on the Drowned God has a lot to do with this war. That's why you will lead the vanguard tommorow. I'll stay back with Urzen and bless the new longship that arrived for me."

"I will, have fun with your ritual. But when you'll come on the shore again remember: that man has gotten in your brains kid. I can clearly see that he helped you light the fire inside you, you are not depressed anymore, and that is enough for me. You found something to help you continue, everyone need something to push him at times like theese. But be carefull; for no god will save you if you let your guard down out there."

Dale did his King commanded. He wore his uncle's helm, the mighty Kraken and sailed to fight once more. But his thoughts were with his small cousin.

He is young. And young men get carried away Dale told to himself. But his concern was not about Theomore, the Drowned Man Urzen had now drew his attention.

Chapter XII

-This is madness Theomore! Madness! They will say that we betrayed them! I don't understand what has gotten into your head, But-

Dale Greyjoy's head was just as red as the sun when the ironborn saw it for the last time, more than a year ago as it slowly got swallowed but the sunset sea. He went berserk when he heard his cousin's change of plans. Was it because the new plans were not approved by him or just the fact that the young king did not ask for his counsel? He didn't know. All he knew was that the last few weeks everything felt odd. This last one was something he never expected from Theomore.
    But he also didn't expect that the king would signal his guards to grab him by the arms. Although he knew that the guards were not strong enough to move him, he let them seat him down.

-First of all, I will not remind you again to address me as King. Secondly, this is not a war council, I have made my mind about our course of action and If I wanted your advice I knew where to find you, Cap'n.

Everyone in the King's cabin stood silent. The two guards, Urzen the Drowned man and a few more lords of the Iron Isles. This was the first time these two had a conflict in front of people.

Dale clenched his fists, rose his head and tried to seem as calm as possible.
    -May I speak, your Grace?
    -Go on.
    -I am sure that you were fully aware of the plans we agreed with lord Commander Jon Snow your Grace.
    -You are right Dale I remember it.
    -Then why did we break our part of the deal your Grace?
    - Because it was unfair against us Dale. The Starks are fighting in the Westerlands. They had to choose for whom their men's blood will be spilled for. And they chose to spill their blood to protect their marriage ties with the Lannisters, not for the North. Thus, Thormor Ironmaker and his men abandoned the Shadow Tower and joined our force. I am not gonna spend a single man defending another lord's home. The Ironborn will fight with me against the enemies of the Drowned God and end this nightmare once and for all.
    -Leaving the Wall undefended will risk not only the whole North, but our supply lines too, your Grace.
    -It won't take that long Dale. The final battle of the War for Dawn is upon us.

Theomore Bloodshore rose up from his chair and looked at Urzen, who nodded.

-The Drowned God has shown us the way. Urzen had a vision and shared it with me. The enemy's leader position has been revealed to us, and we are going to hunt him down. I, Theomore, of house Bloodshore, King of Salt and Rock, Son of the Sea Wind, The Drowned God's Scourge, Lord Reaper of Lonely Light and protector of the Iron Islands, with the help of the Drowned God will end both this war and the endless Winter. I have gathered a small, agile force of the best men the Iron Islands have to offer for this cause. We will venture deep inside the Frostfangs 3 days from now. A day before we land, our full army will be divided in two and storm the Bay of Ice. You and Thormor Ironmaker will lead the attack, once again trying to distract the dead, allowing us to reach our destination as unhindered as possible.
    -This is a suicide mission, Your Grace.
    -For a man like you, it is. For a man like me, this mission is my Destiny.
    -So your destiny is premature death from the cold?
    -My destiny Dale Greyjoy, is to follow the path the Drowned God has shown to me. And that path does not lead to death, for now. It leads to victory.
    -As your cousin, I disagree with you Theomore. I think that you are too young to die at your 19. But as the Captain of the Iron Fleet, I am bound to do as you command your Grace.
    -Dismissed Cap'n. Theomore said while looking the other way.

Dale Greyjoy rushed out of the tent, walking as fast as he could, prominently disturbed. He had to do something but he did not know what yet. His young cousin was not taking the war with the seriousness it deserved. First betraying his allies by leaving them unprotected in the middle of the war, and now planning of leading him and his men to certain death.
    He's leading our people to the crack of Doom. he said to himself.
    He's nothing more than a kid, he found himself walking the line between life and death, he survived, and now he believes that he's able to do it again and again, as the fool he now is. But it is not his fault entirely, no... That damned Drowned Man is to blame. He is the man who made my cousin the arrogant kid he now is. I can't let this happen.

There were three men Dale could trust.

The first one was lost to Urzen. The second one, Aladale Codd was not the man he was anymore. A fierce reaver once, but a couple months ago his longship was crushed by the waves of the Bay of Ice. Since surviving the storm, Aladale was a changed man. He valued his hide more than anything in the world now, and turned craven. No, Aladale could not be of any help to Dale.

Last, was Thormor Ironmaker.

Thormor, was one of the best captains of the Iron Islands. Skilled in both commanding and fighting, strong and brave. He belonged in Dale's personal guard once and practically raised him since his father's death. Always kind to him and his fellow men. But he also became odd since the Death of King Gromm. Dale never believed that Thormor had such foolish ambitions of becoming the Ruler of the Iron Islands. He and his ancestors didn't own a single piece of land, nothing more than a longship and the ability to crush heads with ease, just as his father Harl Ironmaker and his grandfather Erik Anvil-Breaker. Other than being close to Dale, Thormor was conveniently chosen by Theomore to command the other half of the Ironborn's army. Dale did not have a plan yet but couldn't do anything but call Thormor to his cabin on the Iron Victory the Flagship of the Iron Fleet that once his uncle Victarion Greyjoy commanded.
    Dale spent his night in the captain's cabin, trying without success to get some rest. His biggest enemy was not his dire thoughts, but his urge for wine. A few cups would help him clear his head and sleep... Yes, that would be great. He got on his feet and walked towards the door. Then he stopped.
    Hold yourself back Dale. he once again told to himself. This is not the time to roll back. Not now.
    He took quill and paper and started to write.

Suddenly, the Door burst open. Dale could not tell if it was moments or hours ago since he sat on the chair and wrote the letters. In front of him was standing a tall, intimidating figure. Dale had just opened his eyes and his vision was still blur.

The first thing he recognized was the scar which lied where the man's right eye should be.

-When my eye reads that someone will be waiting for me, I expect food and wine. And that eye sees neither wine nor food in this cold cabin!
    -I'm glad to see you too, Thormor.
    -Well, I'm not! The Shadow Tower was a pile of as you know, but both the fact that I left it and the way me and my men did it was... Unpleasant as you lords would say.
    -I know, that's why I called you here Thormor. We've got to talk about some serious matters my old friend.
    Thormor huffed.
    -Speak your mind, kid. What happened while ol' Thormor was at the Wall?
    Dale explained the events since he and Theomore left Thormor behind at the Shadow Tower till the last day.

-So? aren't you relieved that he wont take you with him to walk the path to death? Are you afraid of what's going to happen to us when our King will die in the wilderness? We'll elect a new one, that's whats going to happen.
    -If I am to continue my friend, I need to have your word that whatever we are going to discuss from now on, will stay between us.
    -I ain't much of the talking fella Dale, you know that.
    -You have to promise me that Thormor, there is a chance well be accused of treason.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Are you with me Thormor?
    Thormor huffed once again, and came closed to Dale. His tone changed, and was now whispering. What are you planning to do Dale?

The same moment, at Castle Black.

It was a night colder than any other Lord Commander Jon Snow had ever lived through, with a wind stronger and more freezing than any other, even those he survived beyond the Wall, miles north from Castle Black. He mind was with his brothers who stood guard at the Wall, freezing to death as he once did before he became the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.
    He cleared his window and looked the places where the guards should be. There was no sign of life. No sound, no motion.
    I would not risk any movement at all if I was there too. he thought.
    His look wandered away towards the yard. There was something there, a black spot on the fresh snow.
    Brother! Are you alright?
    No answer. Jon started running to his comrade and him suddenly moved.
    You are a lucky bastard brother!
    The man answered with a growl. The he stood up and turned to Jon Snow. Jon immediately recognized the blue eyes. He would never forget those eyes.
    GUARDS! he yell while attacking the white walker.
    Immediately more black figures made their entrance in the yards. Panic had already prevailed in the halls of Castle Black. The men of the Night's Watch fought their dead brothers who died in the unnatural cold. Though the greatest danger was not lying in their part of the Wall.

The battled raged on for hours. The army of the Night Walkers stood patiently from the other side, waiting for its outcome. Eventually, the dead outnumbered the living.

Shadow Tower had fallen the same time, and from there, the army of the Dead started its invasion on the lands of the North. The mountain clans were the first to fall; Winterfell was now very close.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Poor Jon Snow! The invasion of the army of the Dead sounds like a frightening time for the people of the North. I wonder what will happen to Winterfell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12