Thread: Just help me play a goof grand campaign please

Default Just help me play a goof grand campaign please

I was new to TW and Rome 2 was my first. I thought I'd finish one grand campaign as Rome without mods before getting into mods for succeeding GCs. I thought, how bad can it be?? Turns out its was much worse than I expected. Today my Client State military ally Athens just took Parthia and I was Rome. Now I'll have to declare war on them and it'll be fighting hoplites, babysitting in a town for 3 turns and moving to the next. Now I just find myself tired of doing the same thing without any sense of context and fighting the same armies from 10 Eastern factions after another; and I'm just losing any incentive to play at all. I also just find my campaign has been reduced to taking a settlement, tanking until that settlement cools down and moving to the next. Just when I get a province stable and edicted out, the mfing AI just goes and attacks it after running by their own settlements that I captured and it plunges me again into 10 more turns of fighting spearmen instead of fighting anything real. I also feel really detached from the thing seeing the only major factions on the map that aren't Eastern dumbasses who only make spearmen and cav-archers and mid tier cav are myself and my allies.

I want to start a new grand campaign, and I want your recommendations on mods so it doesn't get fd up like last time. So if anyone knows any mods that fulfill these conditions, please link them to me.

1.Major factions last
    2.Something to make agents less relevant but still useful. Don't wanna stop or be stopped by a mfing old man who scares my general.
    3.Anything to add a real diplomacy system. Not just red and we'll hate your guts even if we're dying and green and we'll help you even though the enemy is my culture.
    4.A better garrison system so I don't have to babysit towns and I'll have a challenge on taking cities
    5.Anything that allows me travel to the other side of my besieged town because walking to the enemy army would be too easy so I gotta be trapped on the other side a turn before being taken.
    6.All good reskin mods
    Any other campaign must-have you deem must have. Thanks!

Default Re: Just help me play a goof grand campaign please

I'd suggest Radius mod, running it is the only time a campaign has ever beaten me.
    I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes I am the ghost, that hides in the night.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France,
    we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
    we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
    we shall fight on the beaches,
    we shall fight on the landing grounds,
    we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
    we shall fight in the hills;
    we shall never surrender.

" The dark is generous.
    Its first gift is concealment: our true faces lie in the dark beneath our skins, our true hearts remain shadowed deeper still. But the greatest concealment lies not in protecting our secret truths, but in hiding from the truths of others.
    The dark protects us from what we dare not know.
    Its second gift is comforting illusion: the ease of gentle dreams in night’s embrace, the beauty that imagination brings to what would repel in the day’s harsh light. But the greatest of its comforts is the illusion that dark is temporary: that every night brings a new day. Because it’s the day that is temporary.
    Day is the illusion.
    Its third gift is the light itself: as days are defined by the nights that divide them, as stars are defined by the infinite black through which they wheel, the dark embraces the light, and brings it forth from the center of its own self.
    With each victory of the light, it is the dark that wins.

The dark is generous, and it is patient.
    It is the dark that seeds cruelty into justice, that drips contempt into compassion, that poisons love with grains of doubt.
    The dark can be patient, because the slightest drop of rain will cause those seeds to sprout.
    The rain will come, and the seeds will sprout, for the dark is the soil in which they grow, and it is the clouds above them, and it waits behind the star that gives them light.
    The dark’s patience is infinite.
    Eventually, even stars burn out.

The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
    It always wins because it is everywhere.
    It is in the wood that burns in your hearth, and in the kettle on the fire; it is under your chair and under your table and under the sheets on your bed. Walk in the midday sun, and the dark is with you, attached to the soles of your feet.
    The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.

The dark is generous and it is patient and it always wins – but in the heart of its strength lies its weakness: one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
    Love is more than a candle.
    Love can ignite the stars."

Alpha and Omega the beginning and the end.

You began the war.

I am going to end it!

Oh hohoho you have NO idea how much the garrison system has improved over all the previous total war games pfff! you think your babysitting in rome 2? ha!

Divide Et Impera. Really makes you think about logistics. You'll either love or hate the combat changes, though.

Radious is... not for me. Mid to late game, there's just too many armies for me to care about and too many battles to resolve. But I do see why people like it.

Honestly, though, I'm really enjoying Vanilla supplemented by small number of key mods. Cranked up the difficulty to VH and I'm having a fairly enjoyable Rome campaign. I use:

Better AI Recruitment
    No More Starving AI
    Small World After All
    Dresden's Sack, Loot, and Diplomatic Options mod
    Talents, Traits, and Toadies
    Champloo's Gold Unit Pack
    GEM

I might want to add something to give the AI more of an edge next campaign, or just crank it up to Legendary.

As for reskins, there's a bunch on the Steam Workshop. Just filter, then sort by Most Popular or Most Subscribed. Be careful, though. Some aren't compatible with Champloo's Unit Pack (like Kaziel's Romans).
    Last edited by nonja121; January 26, 2015 at 08:30 AM.