Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: President Obama to Propose First two Years of Community College Free on Friday

Default Re: President Obama to Propose First two Years of Community College Free on Friday

President Obama to Propose First two Years of Community College Free on Friday

First two Years of Community College Free on Friday

Community College Free only???on Friday !

just kidding i read the op
    anyway it's good news, perhaps this can lower the us student debt problem

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: President Obama to Propose First two Years of Community College Free on Friday

Most university degrees end up being useless
    And the evidence is ... oh Phier says so
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Praefectus

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Yea, two more years of highschool free!

A time when people are figuring out a college degree for the sake of one is useless, someone wants to give away half of one for "free".

Great, sounds good, does nothing, costs a fortune, thanks Obama!
    Well, when you are insolvent - may as well keep cranking out the goodies until the Fed, the IMF, World Bank, rating agencies and the Chinese take away the keys, amiright? Remember, it's not REAL money - it's PUBLIC money.

If they were identifying, what regional areas have job skill shortages - say welders - and were prepared to send people to school in that region to be a welder - and have the person pay *something back* maybe not everything but something when they get a job, I could see sense in that. But two years of community college - so you could do, Dr Sarkisian's 'All about the Misogyny of Gamergate' course on the public dime - how is that helping.
    My bookshelf is a hate blog.

Do you know what insolvency is?

It's helping because it might allow people who cannot afford to attend college to do so. If you need welders you don't need a degree for that, so people will just have to pay more for welders.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    so you could do, Dr Sarkisian's 'All about the Misogyny of Gamergate' course on the public dime - how is that helping.
    I have no clue why something so specialized as that would be in the first two years of college anyway. Those are typically the University Studies courses that every student has to take. I think you just did a really good job demonstrating you have no clue what you're talking about. You want to take something so advanced in sociology or whatever field that would be in, take it when you're ready for it. Like, when you're a damn senior. And shockingly paying for your school.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

First two years of COMMUNITY COLLEGE free. Who goes to community college more than two years? Two years is an Associates Degree and beyond that you should be in a four year university anyways.

So it makes it cheaper to be a welder, or a dental hygenist, or something like that. Not that those jobs are bad or nothing but its not the "Free College" everyone is acting like it is. Could slice value of 4 year degrees almost in half too. A lot of people who go to University of Texas at Austin go to Austin Community College first to take of their core classes and Gen Ed classes for cheap and then transfer.

Bet the bill will be killed though. Heh, a republican congress reducing student debt? GTFO. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by YuriVII View Post
    First two years of COMMUNITY COLLEGE free. Who goes to community college more than two years? Two years is an Associates Degree and beyond that you should be in a four year university anyways.

So it makes it cheaper to be a welder, or a dental hygenist, or something like that. Not that those jobs are bad or nothing but its not the "Free College" everyone is acting like it is. Could slice value of 4 year degrees almost in half too. A lot of people who go to University of Texas at Austin go to Austin Community College first to take of their core classes and Gen Ed classes for cheap and then transfer.

Bet the bill will be killed though. Heh, a republican congress reducing student debt? GTFO. Not going to happen.
    It makes it cheaper to be anything. Go to the college, get the university studies, which are literally half of the first two years of math and science of that engineering degree, and then transfer to the 4 year university. Now, depending on how some things are set up you might have some administration issues for transferring credits, but them's the ropes you have to jump over for trying to do something like this. It's certainly a risk worth taking.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

First two years of COMMUNITY COLLEGE free. Who goes to community college more than two years?
    Most, apparently.

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/8/7518579/...munity-college

"That wouldn't cover the entire cost for most students — students who finish community college in two years are rare"

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    If you need welders you don't need a degree for that, so people will just have to pay more for welders.
    And yet you can get an unneeded welding degree: http://www.southseattle.edu/programs...ch/weldfab.htm

All the two year programs also have a 5 credit "multicultural understanding" requirement, so everyone will learn correct political thought - diversity is welcome of course, as long as it's not diversity of opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    And yet you can get an unneeded welding degree: http://www.southseattle.edu/programs...ch/weldfab.htm

All the two year programs also have a 5 credit "multicultural understanding" requirement, so everyone will learn correct political thought - diversity is welcome of course, as long as it's not diversity of opinion.
    Because university studies programs never had a multicultural course at all. Right.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Source on that claim? And yes, there are plenty of silly degrees. I don't see how that detracts from the fact this will allow people to get valuable education that they might otherwise not be able to afford.

SilverCohort's Avatar Civis

Never Going to happen, unless by executive order.

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

How dare American citizens receive a free (ish) higher education!

= an example of a typical Republican response, seriously though aside from "it will cost me money" is there any actual legit reason for Congress to say no to this? Even if your worried about people gaining "useless" degrees then make it so vocational ones e.g. Engineering and architecture along with classics like mathematics and sciences qualify, while others have only one year free etc.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Because university studies programs never had a multicultural course at all. Right.
    I wasn't comparing community colleges to universities. I think it does make more sense for some people to do their first two years at a community college.

Source on that claim?
    I think I'd have to post a link to every college's site, but here are a few:

https://www.shoreline.edu/about-shor...quirements.pdf
    http://montgomerycollege.edu/curricu..._summer_tb.htm
    http://catalog.macalester.edu/conten...n_Requirements
    http://www.tacomacc.edu/catalog/14-1...ourse-list.htm
    http://www.wellesley.edu/studentlife...ok/academic/mc

And yes, there are plenty of silly degrees. I don't see how that detracts from the fact this will allow people to get valuable education that they might otherwise not be able to afford.
    Define valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    How dare American citizens receive a free (ish) higher education!
    It's not free of course, it's publicly funded. Undergraduate education is already publicly funded through Pell Grants if you can't afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by gaunty14 View Post
    Even if your worried about people gaining "useless" degrees then make it so vocational ones e.g. Engineering and architecture along with classics like mathematics and sciences qualify, while others have only one year free etc.
    That would be better, and it would be nice if Pell Grants were that selective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big War Bird View Post
    "Free for everyone willing to work for it"

My double talk detector's needle just broke the speed of light.
    get good enough grades don't pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post
    Yea, two more years of highschool free!

A time when people are figuring out a college degree for the sake of one is useless, someone wants to give away half of one for "free".

Great, sounds good, does nothing, costs a fortune, thanks Obama!
    ofc they should sign up with the republican plan and go and slaughter brown people, either at home by joining the police or abroad by joining a mercenary company and commiting war crimes on a scale not seen since Vietnam!

Or go to the Republican plan universities: be so massively in debt you have to sell your children as sex slaves to the republican congress men, after all if they don't rape at least one child a week to death they get antsy and demand another war.
    Last edited by Aikanár; January 11, 2015 at 04:45 AM. Reason: consecutive postings; please use the "edit post" button.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

​So how would this affect community college teachers' pay?

I wasn't comparing community colleges to universities. I think it does make more sense for some people to do their first two years at a community college.
    The first two years at anything are literally what is traditionally the University Studies program if you're at a university. Sure, if you've picked a major at your community college you'll have some serious courses thrown in just like if you've picked a major at a University the same thing will happen there, but they'll still have their own form of a University Studies program. And they still have a cross cultural program. Who gives a damn if it has to be called something different to satisfy this program? Care to rephrase your statement, sir?
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

YuriVII's Avatar Primicerius

Does anyone know what Obama means "For those willing to work for it."?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Cashmere View Post
    Well, when you are insolvent -
    Compared to whom the EU or say China that hides all its debt in state owned companies and special accounting? Last I checked the deficit is down, growth up, inflation almost no existent and demand for Treasuries is high and cheap.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Does anyone know what Obama means "For those willing to work for it."?
    Any program like this, be it scholarship or whatever typically comes with a minimum GPA. The later linked VOX article notes a minimum required GPA of 2.5. If you can't maintain that surprisingly easy number in the first two years they'd kick you off the free tuition and you'd find yourself with a bill.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast