Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Marvel's Ant-Man (July 17th)

Default Re: Marvel's Ant-Man (July 17th)

I found the lip-syncing parts very clever; they managed to squeeze the classic Stan Lee cameo into one as well. Overall it was a good film, I especially liked the character of Hank Pym, and it was entertaining to see a dramatic fight scene take place on a toy train track.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Marvel entertained me yet again, it's also nice it wasn't some epic showdown in the end.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Just saw it too. It was a fun little movie. I went in really with only some good word of mouth not really expecting that much and I was pleasantly entertained. Apparently Marvel can do no wrong.

Good move making the rather boring and idealistic Pym character the "old" Ant Man mentor. Also some visual and fun treats in there. The whole sequence with the Thomas train lol. Stuff like that is why I like Marvel movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Good move making the rather boring and idealistic Pym character the "old" Ant Man mentor. Also some visual and fun treats in there. The whole sequence with the Thomas train lol. Stuff like that is why I like Marvel movies.
    See, I did love the Thomas the Tank Engine bit. But it felt like I'd already seen it loads because of the trailers which were showing all the time, which kind of took away from the impact of it. I think it would've worked better if they through that in as a surprise, still a nice touch either way though.

Well this got me thinking, the Russo Brothers, James Gun and Peyton Reed all have very bad movies (bad score on all critic sites) before Marvel (James gun has one I love but I find it objectively meh). So just what the hell is Marvel's Mojo? Then again Shane Black was a great director/writer but the response for IM3 was meh, while Alan Taylor also made likeable Thor movie but nothing more (also ratings range from mediocre to descent) and he proceeded to make that T5 piece of garbage.

I really wander what is it that makes directors shine so bright when they join Marvel.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Well this got me thinking, the Russo Brothers, James Gun and Peyton Reed all have very bad movies (bad score on all critic sites) before Marvel (James gun has one I love but I find it objectively meh). So just what the hell is Marvel's Mojo? Then again Shane Black was a great director/writer but the response for IM3 was meh, while Alan Taylor also made likeable Thor movie but nothing more (also ratings range from mediocre to descent) and he proceeded to make that T5 piece of garbage.

I really wander what is it that makes directors shine so bright when they join Marvel.
    Money, a great creative team, and the fact that they already have a rich world, history, and backstory to build from. Also, I think the fact that it is Marvel itself (with Disney's influence) making these movies that helps put a lot of care into making them truthful(ish) to the comics. Though it does seem to involve pulling a lot of creative freedom from the directors, who have to work within what Marvel says.

I don't think any of the MCU movies are terrible. Some might be bad compared to one another but I think they are all decent movies.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Find me an actor, director, or a producer with a perfect record anyway. You get the lists these people do...
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

IronBrig4's Avatar Good Matey

You know what I'd love to see in Avengers 3? I'm assuming they're bringing in ALL the supporting cast aside from the superhero sidekicks. I'd love to see Jane Foster, Darcy, Erik Selvig, Pepper Potts, Happy Hogan, Hank Pym, and Scott Lang's three wombats in bit roles. Let's say the team is wondering where Thanos will strike next. Thor asks Heimdall to look for Thanos, Star Lord calls in favors from Nova Corps, Iron Man gets all of Stark Industries' satellites to scan the solar system, and SHIELD hacks into every observatory on Earth. The Avengers and Guardians sort through the inconclusive data but they have no clue where Thanos might be headed. Suddenly, Luis walks in carrying a platter filled with waffles and starts with, "so I was at this indy film festival with my cousin Enrique..."

Under the patronage of Cpl_Hicks

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Well, fans of the movie can rejoice. Marvel liked the reception to the movie enough to greenlight a sequel in the middle of Phase 3. Which means they liked it enough to literally shift around their set schedule for it.

Spoiler for...reasons.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

Ok, I did not expect this movie to be good but I have to say the movie surpised me a lot!. The movie is just supercool! They really went creative with the script, the characters are very interesting, the actors fulfil the roles greatly! Totally recommend it!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234