Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Modding Awards

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default 2013 Modding Awards

Is anyone interested in helping to run/organise the mod awards for 2013/2014? Obviously having some modders from the different games to help sort things out would be great, but we'd need people for loads of things (especially art and design - Ishan & co. did a great job with graphics for 2012 and my skills pale in comparison - see above ). So yeah, drop a line here if you are interested.

Obviously there would be awards for each game, although Rome II was released September 2013 and I was wondering did enough modding of the game go on in the last months of 2013 to warrant awards for it, or should that be saved for 2014? Within each game there would be the 3 categories of Mod, New Mod and Modders, with different awards being granted under each category - we'd need to decide what sort of categories we wanted this year, or if people felt 2012's worked well we can stick with them. I feel the awards could be condensed a bit (heck maybe even combine ETW/NTW), for example having an award for each game like the best hosted mod and branch out a bit for other mods, but it really depends on what everyone wants. I'm plan to make some notes next to the awards and stuff when I get the chance to share my thoughts. The list of categories from last year is as followed (the thread for last year):

Rome/BI/Alex

Mods:

• All-time favourite Favourite Hosted Mod (of just the year/updates in the year/just any time?)
    • Favourite Mod
    • Battle gameplay AI/Gameplay
    • Strategic gameplay
    • 3D Art & Design
    • 2D Art & Design Artistic Mod (includes 2D Art/Music/Writing)
    • Music & SFX
    • Historical or lore friendly
    • Sub-mod or Addons
    • Modder's Mod (I was perhaps thinking of this as an award where only modders vote and they pick which mod they think deserves this award the most out of work done/released during 2013)

New Mods: (can enter in the above categories, but only new ones of 2013 can enter these)

• New mod (maybe branch into some of categories as above?)
    • New Sub-mod or Addon

Modders:

• Coder (could Coder and Scripter be combined or are they really different?)
    • Scripter
    • Mapper
    • 3D artist/Modeller
    • 2D artist Artist (includes 2D Art/Music/Writing)
    • Composer
    • Videographer
    • Historical/Lore writer
    • Tool maker
    • Tutor
    • Modder's Modder (I was perhaps thinking of this as an award where only modders vote and they pick who they think deserves this award the most out of modding work done during 2013)
    • Rising Star (this award is mentioned for some of the later games, I don't see why we can't award new modders of the older games - can only be awarded to someone who has started modding in 2013 and made some good progress in that year, maybe judged by just modders themselves as they can appreciate the work a bit more)

M2TW/Kingdoms

Mods:

• All-time favourite Favourite Hosted Mod (of just the year/updates in the year/just any time?)
    • Favourite Mod
    • Battle gameplay AI/Gameplay
    • Strategic gameplay
    • 3D Art & Design
    • 2D Art & Design Artistic Mod (includes 2D Art/Music/Writing)
    • Music & SFX
    • Historical or lore friendly
    • Sub-mod or Addons
    • Modder's Mod (I was perhaps thinking of this as an award where only modders vote and they pick which mod they think deserves this award the most out of work done/released during 2013)

New Mods: (can enter in the above categories, but only new ones of 2013 can enter these)

• New mod (maybe branch into some of categories as above?)
    • New Sub-mod or Addon

Modders:

• Coder (could Coder and Scripter be combined or are they really different?)
    • Scripter
    • Mapper
    • 3D artist/Modeller
    • Composer
    • Videographer
    • Historical/Lore writer
    • Tool maker
    • Tutor
    • Modder's Modder (I was perhaps thinking of this as an award where only modders vote and they pick who they think deserves this award the most out of modding work done during 2013)
    • Rising Star (this award is mentioned for some of the later games, I don't see why we can't award new modders of the older games - can only be awarded to someone who has started modding in 2013 and made some good progress in that year, maybe judged by just modders themselves as they can appreciate the work a bit more)

ETW

Mods:

• All-time favourite
    • Immersive Mod
    • Scenario/Innovative Mod
    • Land/Naval Combat Overhaul
    • Miniature Mod
    • Unit Pack
    • Campaign AI
    • Compilation

New Mods:

• New mod
    • New sub-mod

Modders:

• Modder
    • DB Editor
    • Scripter
    • 2D Artist
    • 3D Artist & Animator
    • Videographer
    • Historical/Lore writer
    • Tool maker
    • Tutor
    • Rising Star

NTW

Mods:

• All-time favourite
    • Immersive Mod
    • Land/Naval Combat Overhaul
    • Miniature Mod
    • Unit Pack
    • Campaign AI
    • Compilation

New Mods:

• New mod
    • New sub-mod

Modders:

• Modder
    • DB Editor
    • Scripter
    • 2D Artist
    • 3D Artist & Animator
    • Videographer
    • Historical/Lore writer
    • Tool maker
    • Tutor
    • Rising Star

Shogun 2

Mods:

• All-time favourite Favorite Hosted Mod (of just the year/updates in the year/just any time?)
    • Immersive Mod
    • Land/Naval Combat Overhaul Gameplay/AI
    • Campaign AI
    • Miniature Mod Favourite Mod
    • Unit Pack
    • Compilation (could go?)

New Mods:

• New mod
    • New sub-mod
    • FoTS/RotS overhaul
    • Battle Map

Modders:

• DB Editor
    • TeD Editor
    • Scripter
    • Composer
    • Videographer
    • 3D Artist & Animator
    • Historical/Lore writer
    • Tool maker
    • Tutor
    • Rising Star (I was thinking of maybe replacing this with the Modder's Modder award from above and then having a separate award independent of the Warscape games that is awarded to the person who has made the most progress in discovering how to do things/what can be done with it?)

Also I've thought about combining the awards for 2013 and 2014 into one, but I'm not sure how keen people would be on that idea? Opening up the awards to mods that are from off TWC I think could also be a good idea if word can get out to different places, and maybe create a new award for TWC specific mods? Again just throwing out ideas, people are welcome to do the same.

Over the next couple of days I'll get some more stuff posted.
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; January 05, 2015 at 12:51 PM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: 2013 Modding Awards

Just wondering but has there been a cathegory for promising WIP (Work in Progress) mods earlier? Nice to see things getting started.

Radboud's Avatar Luctor et Emergo

I'm offering to at least help on the art side of things.

Edit: After reading your post more properly I have some remarks.

- First I think we should focus on the year 2013, it is a huge task to run the awards for one year, let alone several years and adding variations. It's one of the things I agreed on with Ishan, it takes a lot of time even with a team of people to help out.
    - I think we should look at the scope of work and how we can make it so that all mods get proper attention like Hedge Knight and Ishan have been advocating. Maybe we can make a sort of inventory of all mods that have been released in 2013 and use this if in certain categories we get no nominations at all, so that we won't have mods overlooked; maybe do staff (with staff I mean the people who help run the awards) nominations just before the nomination phase is closed or just post a list of released mods in 2013 so people have a nice overview of what was released to make nominations easier.
    - I'm not a fan of combining game categories like you proposed.
    - I think we should review the categories of the 2012 awards and look at what should be re-used and what might need improving/changing and then look at if there need to be other categories. I'm against adding a category for honoring unreleased mods, it seems to me the mod awards is here to honor work that can be enjoyed by the public.
    - I assume with "from off TWC" you mean mods that are not hosted in any way on twc but are released on other forums, before adding this category I'd prefer to summarise these so we know how many mods we are talking about.

Just a few thoughts from my end.
    Last edited by Radboud; January 05, 2015 at 04:03 AM.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

First glance: There are too many categories. Also this award should only include mods and submods released in 2013, period.

I don't know anything about modding or TW mods but I am willing to help with backroom and administrative stuff if you need me.
    Last edited by Sir Adrian; January 05, 2015 at 06:33 AM.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Finlander View Post
    Just wondering but has there been a cathegory for promising WIP (Work in Progress) mods earlier? Nice to see things getting started.
    We could get a WIP category sorted, although does awarding someone for something they may not finish seem like a good idea?

So we need to make sure the right sort of mods get awarded? In which case we could have a group of modders who the scene well nominate different mods that may not otherwise be recognised? We could even have an award that is voted on by just modders, like the "Modder's Choice Award" or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Radboud View Post
    I'm offering to at least help on the art side of things.

Edit: After reading your post more properly I have some remarks.

- First I think we should focus on the year 2013, it is a huge task to run the awards for one year, let alone several years and adding variations. It's one of the things I agreed on with Ishan, it takes a lot of time even with a team of people to help out.
    - I think we should look at the scope of work and how we can make it so that all mods get proper attention like Hedge Knight and Ishan have been advocating. Maybe we can make a sort of inventory of all mods that have been released in 2013 and use this if in certain categories we get no nominations at all, so that we won't have mods overlooked; maybe do staff (with staff I mean the people who help run the awards) nominations just before the nomination phase is closed or just post a list of released mods in 2013 so people have a nice overview of what was released to make nominations easier.
    - I'm not a fan of combining game categories like you proposed.
    - I think we should review the categories of the 2012 awards and look at what should be re-used and what might need improving/changing and then look at if there need to be other categories. I'm against adding a category for honoring unreleased mods, it seems to me the mod awards is here to honor work that can be enjoyed by the public.
    - I assume with "from off TWC" you mean mods that are not hosted in any way on twc but are released on other forums, before adding this category I'd prefer to summarise these so we know how many mods we are talking about.

Just a few thoughts from my end.
    Okay, it seems everyone wants just a 2013 award - that's fine with me and we'll run with that from now on. Your help with art will be so greatly appreciated you have no idea.

I agree getting a pre sorted list of stuff that was released seems a good idea, and we can leave NTW and ETW separate as well. We certainly need to go through and look at the categorises and stuff and see what needs changing, and yeah from off TWC I meant exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    First glance: There are too many categories. Also this award should only include mods and submods released in 2013, period.

I don't know anything about modding or TW mods but I am willing to help with backroom and administrative stuff if you need me.
    Everyone is welcome to help, cheers Adrian. Agree with you with regards to categories.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Under the Rome/BI/Alex heading I've made a couple of suggestions that I think could be used with regards to categories, now I'm not a modder so let me know if they are suitable/make sense etc. as well as just your general thoughts.

Finlander's Avatar ★Absolutely Fin-bulous★
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    We could get a WIP category sorted, although does awarding someone for something they may not finish seem like a good idea?
    I was looking at it more from a promotional side of things but then again TWC does that already quite much. ModDB website had their modding awards just recently where they had a new cathegory for the promising, yet unfinished, mods. That got me thinking of something similar.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I guess something like that could work here, I wonder what the others think?

Citizen

Blog Entries

Made some more notes under the Shogun heading.

EDIT: We could make the categories the same as the sub-forums in the Mod Threads forum for each game? That way it is easy for people to know which mod goes where as they can just see which forum it is posted in?
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; January 05, 2015 at 12:53 PM.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    EDIT: We could make the categories the same as the sub-forums in the Mod Threads forum for each game? That way it is easy for people to know which mod goes where as they can just see which forum it is posted in?
    Do you mean something like this ?

Mods:

• Major mod ;
    • Minor mod - Compilation and overhaul
    • Minor mod - Unit pack
    • Minor Mod - Gameplay tweaks
    • Minor Mod - Visual & Audio

When looking at a mod you have to consider two mod types, "Major" and "Minor" mods, defined depending of the extend of modifications they have needed.
    For example, mods such as "Bethencourt 1800" or "Imperial Destroyer" look more like major mods than minor one because of the extend of the work done.
    I'm not sure a clear definition of minor and major mods exist.

Moreover, when modding, , it is possible :

• to modify "graphic and visual" aspects : units (unit pack), environment (UI, campaign map looking, etc.), sounds and musics ;
    • to modify campaign gameplay : modifying technology trees, building chains, unit stats, etc.
    • to modify battle gameplay : battle mechanics (tweaking stats) ;

Finally these modifications can create an immersion feeling, something quite important I think.
    Moreover, what make modding special, is the ability to innovate, to create something that flirt with the limit of the game engine.

As long as it is not possible to really modify AI, I think that "Campaign AI" award is not wise. It is mostly about a Campaign gameplay award.

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire ιcho de notre βme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbιciles et aux huιes fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

Citizen

Blog Entries

I assumed major mods would be ones that have the hosted forums? As far as I know TWC are pretty good at getting forums sorted for any sort of mod that could be classed as major - but I may be wrong. But yeah I just thought minor moods (i.e. ones not in the Hosted Mod section) could be split depending on what forum they fell under. Do you think modders would prefer awards to be sorted like that for clarify, or under the same sort of category system used for the 2012 awards?

Thank-you for grouping those different aspects of modding together, it is way more accurate coming from a modder like yourself, I'll use them if people feel we need to condense the different award categories further instead of the grouping I made above.

How would you judge pushing the game engine to the limits? I have a feeling if that was an award we'd have to have that as like a Modder's Choice. Quick question as well, was the whole new editing type thing for M2TW discovered in time for 2013 awards or after?

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Hi,
    great news
    I just want to say the I could help you with the mod awards, mostly the ETW section obviously^^
    Greetings!

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Aikanαr's Avatar no vaseline
    Blog Entries

If you need a hand with regards to counting beans or M2(K) or RTW sections, just give me a shout.

Son of Louis Lux, brother of MaxMazi, father of Squeaks, Makrell, Kaiser Leonidas, Iskar, Neadal, Sheridan, Bercor and HigoChumbo, house of Siblesz

Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

The catgories for each game are good however the problem is the large number of games, the voter will get bored by the time he reaches the end, if he does even that.
    What if you merged RTW & M2 sections and call it Non-Warscape modding (name sucks but can be changed) and Empire + Napoleon + Shogun + FOTS into Warscape modding. You would have Rome 2 (hottest game right now mod-wise), Warsacape and medieval + Rome. This would also cover for any potential penury of new mods for the older games.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

The list of games would be the same length, and the mods one lager, and besides you cannot compare mod for different games as some players do not have all the games. If Medieval is more popular than Rome , Medieval mods will have higher changes of getting the award just because of that. Many things have been thought before, but little can be changed due to the nature of the thing.

It is a subjective matter so decided by poll.
    Last edited by Bethencourt; January 05, 2015 at 06:38 PM.

I would keep each TW title as a separate title.
    It is probably best to create a list of all 2013 released mods.
    Wangrin's list is a good working model for delineating the difference between major mods and the different categories of each mod. However, some games will have less mods release and therefore would not necessarily need as many awards. For example: RTW may have only three minor mods and no major mods released in 2013. Meanwhile, TWR2 may have 10 unit packs released by itself. It would make sense to have only one award for RTW and perhaps great deal more for TWR2.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Hi,
    great news
    I just want to say the I could help you with the mod awards, mostly the ETW section obviously^^
    Greetings!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aikanαr View Post
    If you need a hand with regards to counting beans or M2(K) or RTW sections, just give me a shout.
    Thanks you guys, your help will be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Shuu View Post
    The catgories for each game are good however the problem is the large number of games, the voter will get bored by the time he reaches the end, if he does even that.
    What if you merged RTW & M2 sections and call it Non-Warscape modding (name sucks but can be changed) and Empire + Napoleon + Shogun + FOTS into Warscape modding. You would have Rome 2 (hottest game right now mod-wise), Warsacape and medieval + Rome. This would also cover for any potential penury of new mods for the older games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    The list of games would be the same length, and the mods one lager, and besides you cannot compare mod for different games as some players do not have all the games. If Medieval is more popular than Rome , Medieval mods will have higher changes of getting the award just because of that. Many things have been thought before, but little can be changed due to the nature of the thing.

It is a subjective matter so decided by poll.
    I think Bethencourt is right, plus the idea of having too much for votes to vote on seems like a good one to me - we could even encourage people only to vote if they are familiar with the mods in each game; that why the right mods are getting the right attention. From what I've heard keeping them separate seems like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    I would keep each TW title as a separate title.
    It is probably best to create a list of all 2013 released mods.
    Wangrin's list is a good working model for delineating the difference between major mods and the different categories of each mod. However, some games will have less mods release and therefore would not necessarily need as many awards. For example: RTW may have only three minor mods and no major mods released in 2013. Meanwhile, TWR2 may have 10 unit packs released by itself. It would make sense to have only one award for RTW and perhaps great deal more for TWR2.
    Radboud also suggested creating a list of 2013 released mods, seems like a good place to start. I am happy to cover a game, but it would be great if we could have some volunteers to cover the others as well?

Also, I'll raise the question I did in the OP: Rome II was released September 2013 and I was wondering did enough modding of the game go on in the last months of 2013 to warrant awards for it, or should that be saved for 2014?

I'll try and see if we can get a FM sub-forum sorted.

Since TWR2 didn't come out until Sept 2013, I would suggest any mods created in 2013 and 2014 be considered for the 2014 award. I guess it would depend on how many came pout in such a short time. I would guess not many of any. Moreover, I know it was patched as well. I am not sure anyone would remember any initial mods to form a reliable/ accurate opinion.

I can help making a list as well.

Citizen

Blog Entries

I was thinking pretty much the same thing about R2, but I don't want it to feel like to the modders of Rome II in the short amount of time that their work didn't count for anything in terms of awards, so we'd have stressed for the 2014 ones the Rome 2 category could be for mods that were released since R2's release date instead of just for 2014 mods.

And brilliant, thank-you.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast