View Poll Results: Which campaign did you play first?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Reunited Kingdom

4 11.43%
  • The Kingdom of Adûnabâr

3 8.57%
  • The Kingdom of Rohan

1 2.86%
  • The Kingdom of Dale

2 5.71%
  • The Kingdom of Rhovanion

4 11.43%
  • The Kingdom of Dorwinion

0 0%
  • The City-kingdom of Tharbad

4 11.43%
  • The Elven Realms

7 20.00%
  • The Dwarven Kingdom

2 5.71%
  • The Empire of Harad

1 2.86%
  • The Principality of Harondor

0 0%
  • The Principality of Far Harad

0 0%
  • The Chiefdom of Rhûn

1 2.86%
  • The Chiefdom of North Rhûn

1 2.86%
  • The Chiefdom of Khand

1 2.86%
  • The Chiefdom of Dunland

3 8.57%
  • The Beorning Chiefdom

1 2.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, which faction DID you actually test first in campaign?

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Default So, which faction DID you actually test first in campaign?

As the title says.
    I still haven't decided, and I'll first have a look into the campaign map and the mechanics before really starting a campaign.
    Am I classical and start with RK as I have done for all releases? Or going for the obvious, the Elves? However, there's that urge to play with Dale, or Dorwinion. Or the Freys, errr Tharbad. Guess it'll be one of the latter ones.

Anyway, there's also a purpose to this thread: Feedback on ALL factions is preferable. Now, if everyone is running for the Elves or the Dwarves, minor factions like Far Harad will be neglected for a long time (they'll be anyway probably). So, anyone who hasn't decided yet, can have a look into this thread, and maybe finds some reasons to make the decision easier.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: So, which faction DID you actually test first in campaign?

RK for me. Gonna take the campaign as far as I can.It's great.

Well I did go with Elves first time and now second time.Though once second runs is over,I will try either The City-kingdom of Tharbad or The Kingdom of Dale.

Civis

Surprisingly, the Easterlings of Northern Rhun have had me hooked for the last day. I've destroyed Dorwinion and am currently taking land from Rhun, and even though I usually dont care much for the Easterlings, it's been great fun playing as them.

The_Valiant's Avatar Semisalis

I'm still in the early stages of a RK campaign. I started a Dale campaign, but I felt unsure about the campaign mechanics, map, and buildings. I was afraid I would make the wrong choices and have Easterling hordes on my doorstep quicker than you can say Lake-Town. I was unsure of where to expand (or even if to?)

The Reunited Kingdom is simpler, in that regard. I feel that Elessar's Heir has one mission: reclaim the main lost Dunedaic provinces. I started out with a siege of Fornost; rallied my soldiers between Dol Amroth and Pelagir; and sent out diplomatic feelers to the Dwarves, Tharbad, Harondor, and Rhovanion. After a 5 turn siege of Fornost, I beat the Eriadorians in open battle and took the city. My Gondorian army beat back two (weak) Haradrian invasions and took Tolfalas; my fleets have had mixed results against the Corsairs. Adunabar bartered peace, ceding me Anorien in return. I took Anorien, and I'm converting it to Men of the West and establishing factional control. The Arnorian army has taken Threeways, and is now taking Sarnford. Arnor is very rich, and the trade and my victories in the North are funding my strategy against the Haradrim in the South. I'm funding a faltering Harondor, watching the moves of Khand and Far Harad, and fending off small invasions from the Empire. I'm investing in my economy and infrastructure heavily, because I know I won't be so strong in the next stage of war.

My next moves will be to launch surprise attacks on Adunabar and Harad. I'm currently at peace with Adunabar, and their main armies in the South are off in the East and Rhovanion fighting Rhun. I'm marching some spare troops through Rohan and the South Undeeps for a surprise attack on Lathond (the town by the Argonath), and I'll sally forth from Minas Anor to Cair Andros and Emyn Arnen. In the North I'll have my main force engage their main armies, while I have regional troops besiege or take their settlements. I plan on fighting them to Imladris, and kicking them out of the North altogether. Around the same time, I'll sail my veteran Gondorian army - residing in Tolfalas - to the Coast of Umbar for a strike at the Empire's heartlands. I'll try to keep the settlements as a base, but I'm also willing to pillage their lands and retreat.

Some notable things going on in Middle-Earth: Tharbad is taking all of Minhiriath, proving very aggressive. They're spying on Threeways, and I fear they'll launch an attack. They could easily throw a wrench in my plans. They will be the next to go after Adunabar in the North, followed by Dunland (which has beaten back a Rohirrim assault and is besieging the Hornburg). Dorwinion is fighting two successful wars against North Rhun and Rhovaion, and may prove a stalwart against a Easterling threat. Dale, the Beornings, Far Harad, the Elves, and the Dwarves are not expanding. It'll be interesting to see who emerges as regional powers - Dale, Dorwinion, and Rhun are headed for a showdown in the Northeast; the RK, Adunabar, and Tharbad may be entering a three-way war in Eriador; Harad may emerge victorious and strong off a defeat of Harondor; and the Eorlingas actually be overrun by Dunland if Helm's Deep falls. Oh the fate of the world! No wonder the Elves are leaving...
    One's back is vulnerable, unless one has a brother.
    - The Saga of Grettir the Strong

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

So I decided to start with Tharbad after all.

Regarding gameplay so far, it's really nice. Buildings are quite expensive and it takes some time to build them, but since Tharbad starts of completely neutral (even towards rebels), I make quite an income per turn. The unit roster is decent, though a bit small (to be expected, I know). Tharbad needs a more impressive bodyguard, atm they're just mariners and those are a bit lame.
    I've captured Sarnford and that settlement west of Tharbad on the north side of Gwathló. I skipped Threeway, it has quite a garrison, and furthermore thus avoiding a border with RK.
    Dorwinion got it's butt kicked hard by pretty much everyone around, those poor bastards. Dale seems rather passive, but I received diplomatic information that the Beornings and Rhovanion had become a protectorate of the new big player. Harondor is getting busted by Harad, and RK and Adûn are in a stalemate, although RK managed to capture Ithil. Both aren't doing too well up north, RK tries to capture Threeway near Baranduin, but keeps failing.

Dunland has mustered massive forces and is attacking Rohan, they took the Hornburg and Entwade (?). I seized the opportunity and besieged Anghal. Hope I can face their armies (huge, but crappy), but after capturing Anghal I got the that age old vanilla CTD when the battle is ends.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Dunland has mustered massive forces and is attacking Rohan, they took the Hornburg and Entwade (?). I seized the opportunity and besieged Anghal. Hope I can face their armies (huge, but crappy), but after capturing Anghal I got the that age old vanilla CTD when the battle is ends.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Seems like the type of crash that happens when RTW runs out of space. Try doing this:
    1. get 'Explorer Suite' from www.ntcore.com (freeware)
    2. install it
    3. make a copy of RomeTW-BI.exe'
    3. right click on 'RomeTW-BI.exe'
    4. choose 'Open with CFF Explorer'
    5. in the left tree click on 'File Header'
    6. in the right window click on 'click here' in the 'Characteristics' row
    7. in the appearing window check the box in the line 'App can handle >2gb address space'
    8. click 'OK' - button
    9. click on 'save' icon
    10. Run the game as usual.

Guaranteed reduction of end battle crashes.

I played Dwarf, and I've restarted twice but I think I have a half-decent idea of what I'm doing with them now.

It seems like recalling their troops from the north-east at the start of the game to their settlement on the center of the map to take a neutral town alongside its forces and prepare for seemingly inevitable war against the Elves.

The only major border in the north-eastern settlement is that of Dale - the only one you can really trust.

I'm not precisely sure why, but the Elves seem eager to attack the settlement in the middle of the map- perhaps they are just being opportunistic in response for expansion.

Despite that unfortunate war that the Elves refuse to accept ceasefire bribes for and minor aggression from North Rhun, I've tried to avoid stepping on toes until I can finally start fielding expendable Hirelings.

Dwarves are strong fighters, but the last thing they need is a long war of attrition with their low population growth.

On the other hand the economy is absurdly strong to the point that hiring any and all available mercenaries seems a no-brainer.

The Beorning chiefdom for me. I was enjoying their relative isolation whilst preparing to unleash a northman blitz, when I was backstabbed by my so-called ally, Dale. Now I will have to send my warriors to repeat what the dragon Smaug did so long ago... Flames to Dale!
    Last edited by Cyprian2; January 03, 2015 at 11:23 PM.

Dale, undoubtedly. The economy seems to be the most balanced compared to any other faction in the beginning, though there is very few possibilities of expanding at the beginning unless you're prepared to risk a war or two right at the beginning, therefore I made my diplomatic relations incredibly clear right in the beginning: I allied myself with Dorwinion, Elves, and Rhovanion while maintaining rather protective relations with Beornings and Dwarves. My alliance and trade pacts with Dorwinion has surely demanded death of my men, our efforts to deflect Northern Rhun are hard. I love Dale's roster, though small, their bowmen are superior. But my cavalry doesn't really keep up with Rhun, but they mostly employ some weaker levies. I have hard time keeping Gaurgaul intact, and my economy keeps sliding from a time to time, but I am doing well nonetheless. When Rhun(s) will be done with, I might just as well deal with Dorwinion and Rhovanion afterwards. At least Dwarves of Ered Rhun would welcome me.

Revelo's Avatar Decanus

If we go back to BT1, then it was Rhun for me, I arrived late and they were the only ones without a tester

I got quite far too, managed to detroy those rebellious scum to the north and slowly turned the population over to the Shadow, then I decided that Adunabar wasn't worthy of of inheriting the glory of Morgoth and Sauron so I then invaded Mordor and set up my capital in the plains of Gorgoroth, I personally found that while the roster was limited, the cultic infantry was much more fun to use than the native forces, and was worth the effort taken to recruit them in the end! I also decided Khand also needed to see the error of their misguided ways and attacked them too, they had teamed up with Far Harad and had almost wiped out the Empire of Harad. There is a lot of fun about changing your population at a fundamental level and being born anew, stronger and more powerful than before.

Good times, and gave me a new appreciation for the Easterlings too, I'm hoping in Bt3 I can complete a full campaign as them.

The Fourth Age: Total War - Dwarf and Rhun beta tester.

Tried out Adunabar first. Eventually got into deep debt a few turns in and got some decent regions early on; even managed to conquer Minas Anor. But then Rhun and Khand invaded in the east and the RK gained strength as well. Things went to hell pretty fast. Tried the Adunabar campaign a second time and survived a little more but I ran into the same problems: early debt (high expenditure & slow income), low recruitment pools in Mordor, war on multiple fronts. If only I had spammed enough trolls, then would I have survived! At least my Harad campaign is faring a lot better.

Played as the Elves first and I have to say, excelent work on the mod. I just wish that my generals would man up and stop sailing west all the time. Also I find that it is impossible to achieve a positive population growth in Forlindon and Harlindon or am I missing something? And none of my settlements ever rebel, even the manish ones. Is this intentional?

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Population growth in Forlindon and Harlindon will never be positive (its not just your generals constantly sailing west). As for the lack of rebellions, its not so much intentional as unavoidable. (yay for hard coded restrictions)

Khand! All hail glorious Khand!
    I have to represent. I also had to post, especially since I'm so new I can't vote in a poll yet lol

After downloading yesterday, I started a Rhovanion campaign today. Good Faction for me to start with to be able to provide some hopefully help - and meaningfull feedback .
    "Sorry about that, son. But sometimes there's more to life than just livin'. Besides, you can't have a Kansas City Shuffle without a body."

Dunland. I've wounded Rohan pretty bad but my elites have taken a beating too. Rohan really comes at you from the get go, I haven't even had time to take all my rebel settlements.

Elfs , most nutty faction in the mod if you ask me.

Echbart's Avatar Decanus

Dwrfs - but i just can get those population numbers up....

I started three simoultaneous campaigns with the elves, Adûnabâr and Khand but as Khand is the most unloved of the three they got my vote.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast