Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your first reaction to the release of: The Dominion of Men (Open Beta)

Default Your first reaction to the release of: The Dominion of Men (Open Beta)

I must say, I'm very disappointed by the FATW team. It was promised by you, that DOM would be released end of 2014 - but nothing! And now this: a release on January 1st 2015. You can't believe anyone these days, right?! What a disgrace, really! Shame on you!

---

Downloading right now... I can't play till next week, as I'm not on my PC. But I'm SOOO looking forward to this! Thanks, thanks, thanks and Thanks, guys!

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Your first reaction to the release of: The Dominion of Men (Open Beta)

Hehe, it was still 2014 in some timezones.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Re: Your first reaction to the release of: The Dominion of Men (Open Beta)

lol. Yes, it was promised in 2014 (though also in 2011, 2012 and 2013), and if it were not for technical issues and silly uploading times, we would have been clear. Technically we did release the open beta to the BTs on Dec 31st through DropBox, and the DropBox installer somewhere straddling the time zones 31st/1st Jan

Good thread. I like initial impressions
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Excuses, excuses, excuses!... that's all we get from you. You good-for-nothings "modders".

What about a mod for FATW that gives us more factions, more of Middle-earth to deal with, enhanced gameplay and new units? Heh, heh?... Oh wait, you just did!

This mod is, along with EBII, the mod I was looking forward to SOOO much. Really, really thanks a lot to all and everyone involved. I've not had a chance to play it yet (still downloading and not on my PC till next week), but looking at the history of you guys - e.g. beyond FATW also: Viking Invasion, Norman Invasion... - I'm sure, I'll love this even more than FATW:TNS.

Again: Thanks!
    Last edited by Casual Tactician; January 03, 2015 at 12:07 PM. Reason: shame on me: I wrote TATW instead of FATW - sorry!

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

This is in a far bigger league than TNS and I for one was impressed and amazed by the sheer detail and complexity and overall playability of this incredible feat of modding.
    I promise you'll be incredibly pleased by it that you'll praise the FATW team for ever(As do I now).

BTW... have you got a list of folks involved in DOM, so we can give them +rep?

I just gave some to Aradan, Eorl and MasterOfNone. But certainly there must be many more.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Count and myself are the rest of the team, and Bercor and Joar have also contributed much. Then all of the beta testers, of course.

Really? I'm surprised, that such few folks can create such a great mod. I'll look for posts by Bercor and Joar to give them some rep.

Btw, download complete. Stick safe in my pocket. Looking forward to next week.

PS: I've must of given you some +rep webba84, as I'm not allowed to give you any atm.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

I'm slightly overwhelmed by the sheer mass of new factions, new units, new graphics, especially the environment. I haven't yet played much, only a few CBs with all those new units, so actually I can't say that much.
    Especially the unit stats are all pretty new, and sometimes this feels really weird. I was shocked to see so many units losing their special ability. Shield Wall was the ace up the RKs sleeves (not to mention the Elves and Dwarves). I'm curious how all this plays out.
    And frankly, I'm mourning for some good ol' friends, too. I came to like the Gondorian Militia, the Elven Spears and Swordsmen. Now, these new guys...

One thing that's really disturbing is the horses' headarmour, as it really impairs the horses sight. IIRC in TNS this was only an issue with Rohans bodyguard. It might be fixed just altering the texture, but I suggest you have a look at the KoDAs horses, their headarmour is just fine.
    One other thing I pointed out to Éorl a looong time ago: METW has some really nice models and textures for the Wargs, which look much less horse-ish than the ones you're using.

EDIT: Anyway, I'm delighted to see that, if I'm not mistaken, you have used quite a bunch of METW's models for the Elves. Neat. And that you guys and I came up with similar ideas independently (Carroballistae. LOL).
    Last edited by Thangaror; January 03, 2015 at 02:28 PM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

[This text is translated by google translate from a French text]

First, I want to thank the developers for the great job.
    I've had several crashes but I have not managed yet to identify the cause.
    My comment on the MOD.
    I find the idea very interesting noble families. The problem is that they tend to disappear very quickly and we soon found himself with only minor noble houses.
    From a historical point of view it is rather disturbing to see disappear in a few years, hardly a human generation all blood families Dunadan supposed to have a life expectancy of more than a century!
    Would it be possible to extend the life of Dunadans?
    Would it be possible to adopt a minor member of a family to prevent the noble houses disappear so quickly as they constitute a major element atmosphere?
    [French text]
    Ce texte est traduit par google translate à partir d’un texte français
    Tout d’abord, je tiens à remercier les développeurs pour l’énorme travail réalisé.
    J’ai eu plusieurs crash mais je n’ai pas encore réussit à identifier la cause.
    Mon commentaire sur le MOD.
    Je trouve l’idée des familles nobles très intéressantes. Le problème est qu’elles ont tendance à disparaitre très vite et que l’on se retrouve rapidement uniquement avec des maisons nobles mineures.
    D’un point de vue historique c’est d’ailleurs assez perturbant de voir disparaitre en quelques années, à peine une génération humaine toutes les familles de sang Dunadan censée avoir une espérance de vie de plus d’un siècle !
    Serait-il possible de prolonger la durée de vie des Dunadans ?
    Serait-il possible d’adopter un membre d’une famille mineur pour éviter que les maisons nobles disparaissent si vite alors qu’elles constituent un élément d’ambiance majeur ?

It's astonishing! The idea for the lore markers are just great, I hope that some of them will be expanded in the future (Halifirien e.g. is quite short, given that Elendil was burried there). New strat map models for unique cities like Annúminas, or Amon Sûl, I love it!

I wanted to fight the Battle of Pelennor Fields, and guess what?! Right, I can't play a CB with Minas Tirith. You're so cruel!
    Last edited by Thangaror; January 03, 2015 at 03:30 PM.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Thangaror, have you incidentally found anything interesting about the governor of Amon Sul?
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Civis

Got it to work finally yesterday. Have played a North Rhun campaign for almost 5 hours straight and am loving every second of it. Will most likely publish a report in a few days after I play more factions.

Also, just in general this mod is on BETA AND YET IT IS THE BEST MOD I HAVE PLAYED IN ALL MY YEARS AS A RTW PLAYER. I SALUTE THE DEV TEAM

So, playing for a while I found two things I dislike.
    I have no hell of an idea what those "Husbandry and Fishing Rights" or "Construction Charter" are. What does the Carpenter do? I mean, I have an idea about it, but it's a bit of a wild guess. I now get that I can build a "Fishmonger", which increases trade, but since the building browser doesn't show many of these options, I'm stuck when playing the game the first time.

What I really dislike is, that the character traits don't display their effects. This makes character management quite tedious and, I think, boring. I might get into it after a while, but right now it's rather deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    Thangaror, have you incidentally found anything interesting about the governor of Amon Sul?
    Nope. He's a quite boring chap, living in a country that once was great, but now bankrupt and it's only wealth are old ruins littered across the countryside.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Glad you eventually got it to work, Angry. Thank you for the very kind words

Tharangor, we felt it was important to make the building browser represent what could actually be developed, and we bent over backwards to code the EDB in such a manner as to achieve this and feel it worked well. However, due to its limitations this simply wasn't possible with all buildings or levels of buildings. Buildings usually contain clues and references to what they do, as is the case with the ones you mention. If you feel there needs to be further clarification, let us know where and what.

We hope to have trait/anc effect descriptions completed in the full release.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    Tharangor, we felt it was important to make the building browser represent what could actually be developed, and we bent over backwards to code the EDB in such a manner as to achieve this and feel it worked well. However, due to its limitations this simply wasn't possible with all buildings or levels of buildings. Buildings usually contain clues and references to what they do, as is the case with the ones you mention. If you feel there needs to be further clarification, let us know where and what.
    I'm aware of the fact, that the building browser is, well, rubbish. It simply wasn't designed for such complex building trees most mods have.

I've been playing Tharbad and so far I've only encountered the Carpentry and Fishing buildings. I had guessed that Fishing or Husbandry increases income and/or population growth. But it's confusing that the building "Fishmonger" has another name in the browser (it's "Fishing and Husbandry industry II" I think). The building info also displays it's effects, but the Carpenter doesn't.

Something else I stumbled upon which I totally don't get. An event popped up, that said something about forgetting "old grudges". I clicked on "Show me how" (because the event told me so) and then some messages popped up, but I really don't know what actually happened. Could someone please explain? Seems to be some diplomacy feature, but I don't understand how it works.

What puzzles me is the lack of passes across the Misty Mountains. Redhorn Gate isn't present at all (because it's so easily blocked by Dwarves from Moria?), and actually there also should be a pass somewhere at the source of River Gladden. I tried to send a diplomat across, but the Orcs keep blocking the High Pass, that's annoying.

And as a funny side-note, the Elves keep sending diplomats, threatening me to attack if I don't pay them some 160 mirian. I'm really trembling.

Crap, I hate it when I have to log in again, and then my text goes right after Morgoth into the void. At least there's the back button.
    Last edited by Thangaror; January 03, 2015 at 06:43 PM.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    EDIT: Anyway, I'm delighted to see that, if I'm not mistaken, you have used quite a bunch of METW's models for the Elves. Neat. And that you guys and I came up with similar ideas independently (Carroballistae. LOL).
    This is what I get for using one tiny head model and texture from METW. The elves are all completely new and made just for FATW.

BTW the old grudges is a peace with the dead script that you may have seen in other mods. It triggers if a faction gets wiped out and normalises all relations with them so you don't have the normal RTW problem of being unable to ally with a faction because you are still at war with their dead ally.

I also think carpenter descriptions need a single sentence more explicitly stating their effects. They make buildings cheaper, essentially.
    Last edited by webba84; January 03, 2015 at 10:07 PM.

Thangaror, does the confusion lie in the description of the construction charter, or the carpentry one? Here's the latter:

{temple_of_viking_large_temple} Carpenters

{temple_of_viking_large_temple_desc} Woodworking is a craft practised by most peoples in Middle-earth, and its uses are many. Of most interest to a lord or chieftain, however, is the use of carpentry in the construction of important buildings. Properly trained, a team of skilled carpenters can make buildings to last for an age; they can also ensure that any important projects are completed efficiently, reducing costs.

{temple_of_viking_large_temple_desc_short} Make skilled use of local timber to reduce construction costs.

The charter actually has two versions of its description, one of which is very explicit and one of which is more vague. I think the vaguer one is the one that actually appears in-game (or at least, it appears more frequently, maybe):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    {temple_of_viking_shrine} Construction Charter

{temple_of_viking_shrine_desc} The development of a province often depends upon the effectiveness with which its leaders can construct buildings for defence, training, or other purposes. A wise ruler will therefore seek to exploit building materials which may be found naturally in the province. Whether these are wood, stone, or metal, there is great value in being able to provide enough resources not only for trade, but for construction in the province in which they are found. A Construction Charter signifies that the provincial leadership is eager to support those who work to make these resources available.\n\nRights or charters represent the commitment of the rulers to developing a province in a particular direction. If a province boasts more than one resource, only a single industry may be developed there.

{temple_of_viking_shrine_desc_short} Allows greater production of resources required for construction.

¬--------------

{temple_of_viking_temple} Construction Charter I

{temple_of_viking_temple_desc} The development of these industries allows a faction to make effective use of resources like timber, stone, and ore that can be used in construction. Where timber is plentiful, Carpenters can be called upon to gather enough wood to reduce construction costs. Where stone is plentiful, Stonemason Workshops will supply stone to reduce construction costs more dramatically. Where metal ore can be found, Metalsmith Workshops can create tools and metal fittings to improve the speed of construction.\n\nRights or charters represent the commitment of the rulers to developing a province in a particular direction. If a province boasts more than one resource, only a single industry may be developed there.

{temple_of_viking_temple_desc_short} Allows greater production of resources required for construction.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Tactician View Post
    Really? I'm surprised, that such few folks can create such a great mod. I'll look for posts by Bercor and Joar to give them some rep.
    Its true, there aren't many current and active members on the team right now, but the mod has been in development a long, long time. Many people have come and, sadly, many have gone too. But their contributions remain

@ CountMRVHS: Yeah, it's definitely the vague one that appears. And I must have missed the short description for the carpenters. The effect doesn't appear in the scroll.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast