Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your first reaction to the release of: The Dominion of Men (Open Beta)

Default Re: Your first reaction to the release of: The Dominion of Men (Open Beta)

I've been lurking around the Total War forums for years, but I decided to finally make an account to state my admiration of this mod (and to represent in the "first faction" poll lol). The Dominion of Men is actually more than I had hoped for. Your lore-reasoning is excellent, the map is well done, the units are amazing, the gameplay is both clean and stable.... well done, guys, well done! And many, many thanks to all of you who worked on it! I'm looking forward to quite a few campaigns in this new era of Men...

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Your first reaction to the release of: The Dominion of Men (Open Beta)

Thank you very much, and welcome!

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    I always thought of Durin VII as basically the Dwarven Messiah.
    I though he was a very naughty boy.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

I thought it was Durin 7th who led the dwarves back to Moria...

Durin the Seventh led Durin's folk back to Khazad-dûm and restored the ancient kingdom during the Fourth Age. There his house remained until the world grew old and the Dwarves failed and the days of Durin's race were ended.

-From "The Peoples of Middle-earth", "Of Dwarves and Men"
    Now I'm confused...

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

My first rection was "Fk, its been released and I only notice it NOW ?" ....cos I checked these Forums yesterday for the first time this Year XD . Then I ofc was all "Awesome!!!" .

Thanks so much giving this to us !

just now I saw the video and I must say its fantastic job. nice strat mapmodels and also interface. downlaoding it now
    I have tons of questions, but the first of my mind: how you did these books that each one has different informations?
    Dominion of Britannia, Norman Invasion

Will try out soon when I have some free time. Looks awesome!

My first reaction was like "Elfs are in this mod, right?".
    Few moments later....
    "EPICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC".
    Its so well polished and feels so amazing to play, well done FATW team!

Haven't played FATW for several years, but tried out DoM today. Great job, especially on the tech trees. I also really like the colour schemes of the new units and the loading screens. Hardly anything to criticize (well, perhaps the AP arrows, but then I haven't yet had time to test anything in battle).

TASS07's Avatar Miles

I've not tried this out yet, but I have to! Just need to get Rome installed first. Not only cause I try out ever middle earth/LOTR/Tolkien mod for about any game that I can get hold of, but because this looks pretty epic. Hearing of the release though and reading through some of the stickies reminded me of an inteview with Tolkien that I ran across in my university studies:

Tolkien: What I have published, you see, is just part of a much larger tale. It is very long, spanning about a thousand years. And there are so many stories. My idea is to publish most of it before I die, if anyone is interested in it. As a whole, it makes up a kind of history. I also tried to carry the story on forward in time, but I couldn't.

Q: Why not?

Tolkien: It became so dark that it frightened me.
    (Taken from, just to give the proper source: Thomsen, M and Gunner, S. "Two Swedish Interviews with Tolkien." In Tolkien's Influence on Fantasy, edited by T. Fornet-Ponse, 151-61. Hither Shore 9. Düsseldorf Scriptorium Oxoniae. 156.)

So much about the usual assumption that men must have lived happily ever after Not my first reaction to playing the release, but certainly my first reaction to the release itself.

I have been playing FATW since Corsair Invasion and when I saw that Dominion Of Men is out, well, it was second Christmas for me I immediately downloaded it and started playing! You guys have done an excellent job, the units, the atmosphere...simply everything is perfect! Thank you so very very much

Have been playing mod for a while. Now about my first reaction... I was amazed. Great job FATW team, great job and thank you for your hard work.

Played a bit as the Beornings. Woodsman bows are really powerful. And they are better in melee than the axemen. They can even handle their own against my axe guards (though it was on a highly slope area).

Other than that, awesome stuff.

Well... first reaction was probably the same as everyone else: '.........wooooohhhhh!' The shear scale and detail is staggering! Not to mention all the little touches such as the 'Middle-Earth features' (just found BTW...), everything from units to settlements to buildings, excellent and above all lore accurate and where not well reasoned. All this combined shows just how much time and thought have gone into this MOD.

After a few initial campaigns there are a few niggles already picked up by others such as recruitment cost, building costs, population growth etc... I think this could be tweeked to help a few smaller factions hang in there.

My first campaign with Tharbad saw inital success wiped out in a few turns by a very aggressive,very large Beorning faction and simultaniously running foul of Rohan. Not sure why they saw me as a target for any particular reason as a fellow Mow faction? Having said that now playing as Dale and seem to have gotten the hang of the new system and appear to be doing well with an eastern push ( no turncloak RK or Rohan...yet!). Would I be right in saying that the game is somewhat geared toward certain factions? Oh and just as if to add insult to injury...the major power west of the Misty mountains? Yep thats right Tharbad! Displacing Adunabar and conquering ALL rebel held provinces.....

Well done again on this one! Thanks for all the effort it really shows!

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Thanks for the kind words. The open-beta certainly needs some tweaks and additions, hence the status of beta. We've not used the campaign script much as of yet, so expect to see a much more customised campaign based on the faction you choose in the full release.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123