Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Feedback: Dwarves

Default Re: Feedback: Dwarves

Durin VII is "the Last", according to the genealogical chart Gimli sketched for Elessar. He strikes me as an apocalyptic figure for the Dwarves - one who is prophesied to come at the 'end of time', as it were. As such, having him in the mod would be somewhat restrictive.

The Assembly of the Seven Houses allows the Dwarves to see an increase in trade income across their realm, and IIRC gives the Dwarf-king some extra Authority. I'm not sure if these effects are all implemented yet, but the building description does hint at what it does, and you could check out EDB for the details if you're feeling adventurous.

As for the eastern Dwarves, they are represented, if in a quite abstract way, in that Assembly building, which simulates representatives from all over converging at Gundabad. Ered Rhun does allow for some... interesting recruitment options (not necessarily the eastern kindreds, but interesting nonetheless).
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by CountMRVHS View Post
    Durin VII is "the Last", according to the genealogical chart Gimli sketched for Elessar. He strikes me as an apocalyptic figure for the Dwarves - one who is prophesied to come at the 'end of time', as it were. As such, having him in the mod would be somewhat restrictive.

The Assembly of the Seven Houses allows the Dwarves to see an increase in trade income across their realm, and IIRC gives the Dwarf-king some extra Authority. I'm not sure if these effects are all implemented yet, but the building description does hint at what it does, and you could check out EDB for the details if you're feeling adventurous.

As for the eastern Dwarves, they are represented, if in a quite abstract way, in that Assembly building, which simulates representatives from all over converging at Gundabad. Ered Rhun does allow for some... interesting recruitment options (not necessarily the eastern kindreds, but interesting nonetheless).
    To me, and the way I've read it, Durin 7 is just the last reincarnation of Durin, who was really just going to do the last hurrah of the dwarves.
    And, as I said in a different topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    I thought it was Durin 7th who led the dwarves back to Moria...

Durin the Seventh led Durin's folk back to Khazad-dűm and restored the ancient kingdom during the Fourth Age. There his house remained until the world grew old and the Dwarves failed and the days of Durin's race were ended.

-From "The Peoples of Middle-earth", "Of Dwarves and Men"
    Now I'm confused...
    Last edited by Hopit; January 16, 2015 at 01:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

I'd say yes, it would be good if the player felt he had to make difficult decisions with meaningful consequences. If it's possible to just crank out Dwarves and simultaneously rake in the cash, there's little to no need to use Hirelings, which somewhat goes against the idea of this being the age of Men. Maybe the economy for Dwarves is a bit too good currently?
    I wouldn't say that, as Dwarves are heavily reliant not only on hirelings, but also "regular" mercenaries, in order to be able to conquer anything at all, especially in early campaign (until carroballistae hit the field...).

Speaking of carroballistae, their formation is so dense I'm always worried they'll hit each other.

I guess after following this forum as a guest for quite some years it was also time for me to register and give some feedback. First of all, a big thanks to the developer's team for the great work! It is a really stunning mod which will cost me 2 semesters at least

So far, most playtime i invested in the dwarves, so i dedicate my first post to them.

On my first try i fell into the human trap by not reading the description carefully and building the wrong buildings in some cities, but that felt like contaminating the dwarven mountains, so i had to restart.
    I usually start expanding from 3 areas and take Sarnford with the Firebeards, Lune, Northern Arthedain and Lond Rossoth with the Broadbeams and the northern Dwarven settlement with the general from Gunduthorin. After that i get the orkish forts in the north so my armies can move freely from east to west through my own territories and the northern waste. Next step is taking Angmar and Gundabad and most often also Arnor North. Up there i always have to start a war with Adunabar because they field orks and we hate them, so by the time the western gate in Dwarrowdelf is ready i take them on from 2 sides. Tharbad often allies with Adunabar so i don't mind taking the ruin city and Swanfleet from them on my way to Rivendell. Having them beaten i usually get tempted to beat up Tharbad as well, so basically i conquered all Eriador now except elves, hobbits, Annuminas (RK) and Fornost (Adun). Harad is kicking the RKs ass heavily in the south and Adunabar is long gone there Mordor being peacefully shared by Rhun and Harad, so soon the Dunedains can fight their civil war on a very small scale owning only 1 city each, should i not decide to annihilate them earlier. I like that Harad and Rhun are getting strong when playing the dwarves, so it gives some incentive to liberate the south and east from the ways of darkness. But i'm not there yet. Looking forward to recruit the hirelings from Gondor, Mordor and Khand though..

Overall i am very satisfied with the dwarves. Population growth is not a big problem. I don't have lots of losses as i let Durin's guard do most of the dirty work. Ork champions can get dangerous though and i got into lots of trouble against the Beorning bodyguards. A way to magically boost the population is sending the little orks from the mountain forts into your mines. It's pretty cool. The populations in those forts get quite numerous and instead of butchering them all you can give them employment and they even pay taxes and start believing the ways of the west.
    My dwarven settlements get to the full build up point rather quickly and by only recruiting occasionally i got most of them to maximum population relatively soon so now as soon as the settlement stops growing i recruit something and it is growing again. I really love the dwarven units and how there is different options in different settlements. For me the recruitment options seem very reasonable and i especially love the ones only available in 1 settlement each. These horse pulled ballistas are ing machine guns and the dwarves of the iron hills... Love those guys. But basically i'm in love with all dwarven units except the standard axes which i only use for garrison. With Hireling settlements it's more difficult though. Of my first hireling settlements in the west only Sarnford was growing well, but building up the settlement takes a lot of time. Maybe it could be checked if build times for some buildings could be reduced. In my campaigns i had never used any hireling soldiers before meeting the winning conditions with the exception of spears as garrison troops. It reminded me a bit of Adunabar in TNS where it took ages until i could recruit wargs.
    In one try Dale attacked me, but that was due to the fact that i thought the alliance was unbreakable and i only had 1 unit in Erebor. In my current game i kept Erebor well stacked and they never attacked. Someone described it as a problem that family members were stacking up in one half of the map. I think it is a minor one if any. By conquering the north this problem is solved satisfactory. It occasionally happened that a dwarf who didn't belong there came to age in Dwarrowdelf, which was not optimal, but gave a nice opportunity to raid either Tharbad or the Beorning settlements on the old Dwarven road to bring the family member back home.

So well, to finalize on this, with the exception of maybe checking how hirelings could be made available quicker please don't change anything about the dwarves. They are just perfect as they are.

Thanks very much for the feedback, Dain II! You're not the only one to make a point about slow Hireling availability (and the perhaps over-awesomeness of Wain Bows).

It's good to see you were able to keep your alliance with Dale by keeping Erebor stocked. About how many troops did you have in there - and how long did the alliance last?

It's 398 now and the alliance still lasts. I left my starting garrison in there and reinforced it occasionally with mercenary longbowmen. Now the population is around 3000 though so i'm recruiting a lot preparing to conquer something and have 14 units in there.

Great, thanks!

Having played some while a dwarven campaign I will point out some things in need of improvement: Adűnabâr and Dunland are in dire need of boosting, it might all be a coincidence but in this campaign thaey are steamrolled by the Reunited Kingdom and Rohan respectivelly. Dwarves can get the "dwarf-friend" traits which is highly illogical (I remember you saying that traits were one of the more incomplete things). Trade between Khâsad-Dűm and Ost-In-Edil suddenly stopped working despite the fact that I had rebuillt the western gate. Army movement still worked though.

Oh, and the war wains are completely overpowered, especially with their large amounts of ammunition.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Yeah, war wains are very high on the list of things to adjust.

Another campaign and Adűnabâr and Dunland are still being slaughtered. Harandor could probably do well with some universal boost too because they are currently being exterminated by Harad in every campaign. And the Dwarrowdelf bug still keeps on; this time I never even got any trade with Ost-In-Edil to begin with.

Adunabar's weakness under AI control is one of the things we're working to address in future updates. Dunland sometimes does quite well under the AI, though it seems that more often Rohan wins out in that fight.

I've seen beta tester feedback showing Harondor conquering Umbar under the AI, so apparently that can happen. Really, though, if Harondor wins even as much as 5% of the time I'd say that's a pretty good outcome for such an underdog faction. As long as they stick around for a few decades to keep things interesting, I think they're doing what we want.

I suppose. I am currently trying to give them money to see if they survive for longer then. Though the best thing you could do if you ask me is moving that haradrim army a bit south just so that it does not immideatly take the closest region. I would be really grateful if you knew the cause of the bug with the west gate too.

I'm afraid the west-gate thing is out of my sphere a bit. Do you own Ost-in-edhil as well?

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by caspoi View Post
    Yes.
    Is there an army or a character standing in front of the West-gate, by any chance?

no, and anyway that should not matter as long as neither city is besieged.

Quote Originally Posted by caspoi View Post
    no, and anyway that should not matter as long as neither city is besieged.
    Theoretically not, but apparently, sometimes, it does.

Well, an enemy army standing on a trade route can block trade even if it's not besieging anything. But that's not what's happening here apparently.

Well, an enemy army standing on a trade route can block trade even if it's not besieging anything. But that's not what's happening here apparently.
    I've also had this with one of my own armies.