Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback: Khand

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Feedback: Khand

Please post feedback on this faction in this thread. Report things you like as well as things you feel could be improved. Don't be shy. We want to know about everything: visuals, audio, text, lore, models, game play, features, mechanics, unit balance, campaign balance, look and feel, atmosphere, stability, quality, etc.

We are chiefly attending to battlemap settlement models in the run up to the full release, but we can tweak other elements in that period according to feedback we receive in the open-beta stage.

Bugs/CTDs should be reported in the bugs thread, not here.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Hopit's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Feedback: Khand

I've noticed that, thanks to the colours, it's really hard (for me) to see the "arrows" on the minimap, in battles, they blend really well with some of the ground types.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtScooter View Post
    If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

I've addressed this about three times (not just for terrain but also to avoid confusion with Far Harad (who probably have even more terrain issues)). I think there will always be a problem with some ground type. Feel free to experiment though.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    I've addressed this about three times (not just for terrain but also to avoid confusion with Far Harad (who probably have even more terrain issues)). I think there will always be a problem with some ground type. Feel free to experiment though.
    Maybe black outline? (their flag is yellow background with a black decal on it)
    And for Far harad brown /reddish brown outline?
    Last edited by Hopit; January 11, 2015 at 12:21 PM.

If you went to the Skyrim forums you'll see a lot posts about how it's somehow been watered down and hampered by money men making the decisions. Fact is, it's a great game and people still complain. It's the same thing as the TW franchise.

You can't have outlines. It can only be one solid colour. And it is used for elements of the faction's colours on the campaign map as well.

You can't have outlines. It can only be one solid colour. And it is used for elements of the faction's colours on the campaign map as well.
    Why no outlines? It/they would also make it easier to see the different province borders at a glance on the minimap. (Especially for the nations that share a similar colour and are very close to each other)

(It doesn't really affect me, as I can always change it myself, but still)
    Last edited by Hopit; January 11, 2015 at 12:33 PM.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Huh? There's always the secondary colour of the faction, used for the arrow outlines and the province borders. So unless you decided at some point to never make the sec. colour differ from the primary, I'm not sure what you mean.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

While I can understand not having outlines for artistic reasons (I don't, myself, see any other reason for it) there are some nations that, imho, need to have outlines, for gameplay purposes. Khand and Far Harad are prime examples, Emirate of Harad and Harondor might also be ones. (Really, nations that share a similar colours and are next to one another)
    Last edited by Hopit; January 11, 2015 at 12:50 PM.

Unless I'm going mad, the secondary colour is used for the minimap arrow and for the SM border (and secondary banner colour?), the primary colour for the faction's provincial ownership and banner colour.

Mind you, I have a terrible memory ...

Unless I'm going mad, the secondary colour is used for the minimap arrow and for the SM border (and secondary banner colour?), the primary colour for the faction's provincial ownership and banner colour.

Mind you, I have a terrible memory ...
    Primary colour for the campaign map main colour, battle map "center" colour"
    http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/...EBACB01F6116A/
    Secondary colour for Campaign map borders and battle map outlines.
    http://cloud-4.steamusercontent.com/...D5D52A1B51EAC/

(Those pics are with the colour changes, I personally made) Compare them to the unmodified ones, if you wish

Also, as playing as Khand, FU Harad!

Yes, I'm going mad. Strange, I played around with those and don't remember a border (and our primary and secondary colours do differ)! I'll look at adjusting these where necessary!

Thanks

Yes, I'm going mad. Strange, I played around with those and don't remember a border (and our primary and secondary colours do differ)! I'll look at adjusting these where necessary!

Thanks
    Yes, they do differ, but for some nations, the difference is quite small, between the colors (First link, Harad and Harondor in example)
    Last edited by Hopit; January 11, 2015 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    Also, as playing as Khand, FU Harad!
    You having trouble with those Mumakil as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    You having trouble with those Mumakil as well?
    Not really, I'm more annoyed at their 1-3 units stacks sieging my cities every turn.

Harad AI : LET'S SIEGE THIS TOWN THAT HAS 1000 HORSE ARCHERS WITH 300 INFANTRY! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY GO WRONG?

Now I just have this 1 death stack (1 general and 19 horse archers) that goes around continuously nuking few unit armies... (Also, if it seems I can't win a siege, I just abandon the town and leave with my garrison, and come back with the death stack and take it back without any losses)

Also, because of those continuous attacks I can't really advance and siege them if I don't want to retake 2-3 provinces afterwards...

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Hopit View Post
    Khand and Far Harad are prime examples, Emirate of Harad and Harondor might also be ones. (Really, nations that share a similar colours and are next to one another)
    Try playing the Dwarves in snow!
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Quote Originally Posted by Thangaror View Post
    Try playing the Dwarves in snow!
    I try to stay away from dwarves and their dirty mountains.

Heh. I'm pressing into the beautiful greenery of southeastern Mordor; Andunabar's not going to be able to pose any threat to me for some time as I slowly take Mordor for myself piece by piece. In the south, however, I'm having a "meeting" with my "allies" of Harad as they "tour" my heartlands with two twenty unit armies.
    "What're you doing here?"
    "......chillin'."
    It's gettin' a little awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandatus Caelum View Post
    Heh. I'm pressing into the beautiful greenery of southeastern Mordor; Andunabar's not going to be able to pose any threat to me for some time as I slowly take Mordor for myself piece by piece. In the south, however, I'm having a "meeting" with my "allies" of Harad as they "tour" my heartlands with two twenty unit armies.
    "What're you doing here?"
    "......chillin'."
    It's gettin' a little awkward.
    Funny, you went to Mordor, I went to Harad.
    Well, that is, I did go to Harad before Rhûn bastards backstabbed me....
    Now I'm fighting a 2 front war against 3 enemies with 1 army...

You might find things easier if you break up your Outrider stacks into smaller groups that can cover more areas and only converge them when you have a big stack to deal with. When the AI is on the offensive they will often empty their cities of units, making them easily taken by just a few Outriders.

Another few tips:

Don't invest in higher tier Khand units with the exception of Variag Warriors, of which you will need only a few, and late in the game.

The Steppe archers are your best garrison units and are all the infantry you will need for at least the first thirty turns.

Do not neglect to hire the Easterling Slinger mercenaries from Rhun's provinces whenever you have the opportunity.

Nurse Far Harad's and Harondor's wars against Harad; most likely they will not defeat Harad, but will occupy Harad for a long time, and if they do win they will be easier to defeat in turn than Harad.

Avoid completely defeating Rhun, but keep them as a buffer against the factions of the north; same with Adunabar.

Quote Originally Posted by Wambat View Post
    You might find things easier if you break up your Outrider stacks into smaller groups that can cover more areas and only converge them when you have a big stack to deal with. When the AI is on the offensive they will often empty their cities of units, making them easily taken by just a few Outriders.

Another few tips:

Don't invest in higher tier Khand units with the exception of Variag Warriors, of which you will need only a few, and late in the game.

The Steppe archers are your best garrison units and are all the infantry you will need for at least the first thirty turns.

Do not neglect to hire the Easterling Slinger mercenaries from Rhun's provinces whenever you have the opportunity.

Nurse Far Harad's and Harondor's wars against Harad; most likely they will not defeat Harad, but will occupy Harad for a long time, and if they do win they will be easier to defeat in turn than Harad.

Avoid completely defeating Rhun, but keep them as a buffer against the factions of the north; same with Adunabar.
    They were first in small stacks, then I had to stop that when the AI started sending bigger stacks.

I've only built 3 of the tier 2 horse archers, after I found out they're rather mediocre.

I use a general and nomad watchmen as my garrison (cheap to make, and they can stay and hold the walled provinces 1 turn longer), as I'm using all my cavalry as attackers or /replenisments)

I don't care abour slinger, as I haven't seen any wagons yet, and I'd find them unusable in my way of combat atm. (No infantry)

Far Harad and Harondor aren't at war with Harad... Harad and Far Harad are at war with me though...

And for Rhûn, I just kill their stacks every turn and ask for piece as I don't care about them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast