Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Feedback: Reunited Kingdom

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Default Feedback: Reunited Kingdom

Please post feedback on this faction in this thread. Report things you like as well as things you feel could be improved. Don't be shy. We want to know about everything: visuals, audio, text, lore, models, game play, features, mechanics, unit balance, campaign balance, look and feel, atmosphere, stability, quality, etc.

We are chiefly attending to battlemap settlement models in the run up to the full release, but we can tweak other elements in that period according to feedback we receive in the open-beta stage.

Bugs/CTDs should be reported in the bugs thread, not here.
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Feedback: Reunited Kingdom

Here is my feed-back for some 30-ish turns into a KR campaign:
    All the features of the mod are absolutely astounding.Great visuals, audio,text, lore, etc.

Unit balance seems appropriate(hard/hard campaign) and i must admit i am surprised by the ai on the battlefield, who seems to work logically, targets important units with the archers, tries to outflank and is in general far superior to all other mods.

I especially enjoy the descriptions of the various places of Middle Earth, they add greatly to the lore and the game in general.

Campaign balance so far has been fine, though The Empire of Harad appears to become quite a formidable force.

The quality of the mod is exceptional and I must say thank you for all you efforts and work put in it.

As for the development of RK, I must say that Arnor is quite difficult to manage, as Adunabar is much stronger there, and poses a big challenge.
    Harad's incursion in Lebenin and Belfalas are quite nice indeed and make for a more realistic feel to how it would be in reality.
    For the sea of Nurn , i would recomended that Adunabar's ship building is haulted, as they flood the sea with numerous one-ship fleets that eat at their finances uselessly and have no real usage for their development.
    The push in Ithilien has been fairly easy, but large forces seem to be appearing in Mordor, that will most likely overpower me in the long run if i cannot properly reinforce the Miinas Ithil and the settlement north of the black gate.

The mod is incredible, and the even though it is not quite finished, it is still incredible and far greater than I could have imagined prior to it's release.

Good point about the ships. I haven't observed that myself, but I can see it could be a problem.

On the other hand, we do want the player to be able to construct ships on Nurn - at least I could think of a few uses for that. I wonder if it's possible to halt it for the AI there but still leave it open for the player.
    One of the most sophisticated Total War modders ever developed...

Basileos Predator's Avatar Campidoctor

Yes, that's what I would say regarding he ships, the AI to have it drastically reduced(or removed) for the AI but allowed for the player, giving way for some easier incursions and ship movement of troops.

Btw, as Tharbad declared war on me, one of their fleets blockaded the port of Dol Amroth. Quite surprising indeed.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

1) The King's Horsemen description still states, they wield a spear.

2) Dol Amroth MaA don't have a sword. That's correct?

3) KoDAs helmet looks out of place somehow. I think some metal fittings along its edges should suffice. Anyway it's too big, fell down on the guys' noses, they're quite blind.
    KoDas horses date back to, uhm, 2004ish? Nice reminder of the good old times, will they be replaced? They don't fit into the picture anymore. A simple way to improve its looks is to dye the bardings so they fit the Knights' clothings, and maybe remove the croup amour, which is the most disturbing part imho.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

Civis

Finally got the open beta and its great! But same point as Thangaror, where the King's Horsemen supposed to have lances at all? Their description has to be changed if that's no longer the case.

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

Thanks for the heads up. I've noted down the King's Horsemen text as in need of change.

Yes, those KODA horses are from way back. Professor420 made them iirc and they are in the official fatw gold logo
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

webba84's Avatar Artifex

1) Good spot

2) Yup

3) KoDA are for nostalgia value But I will have a look at them according to your suggestions and see about a visual update.

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

On the KoDAs' helmets again. What is irritating, is difference between the plain, but very detailed wing, and the helmet itself which is much brighter, lacks the shadow along the edges, and is maybe somewhat too adorned.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

5 turns into an RK game all my generals(except king and heir) have either dubious or discourteous traits.

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

It is probably because of the low authority of your king, let him win some battles and situation will be much better. The authority of your king may also drop if he converts to shadow cult. However, if I get it right you do not have to wory about the lack of authority of your ruller as the rebelions of the generals has not yet been implemented in this build so there is nothing you have to fear from your unsatisfied generals.

There may be other effects for disloyal generals - they may be less effective governors, costing your faction more money. I can't remember the exact effects we talked about, though - and they may not be implemented in the current version, either.

The recruitable Eriador Hunters for RK and Adunabar have an upkeep of 60 which seems a bit low, orcishly low.

Shouldn't the "real" capital for the Reunited Kingdom be Annúminas instead of Minas Anor? The faction seems overall a little bit Gondor-focused.

Would you possibly consider moving one of RK heirs to the south? Beside royal brother there's only one other noble in Eriador, and since north is severely underdeveloped you need need you generals in combat all the time, so they rarely spent time in settlements and make babies (though I'm not sure this even matters regarding births?).

In 3 starts with RK they produced very few offsprings.

Also, why is Arnor so underdeveloped? I know it was depopulated at start of 4th Age, but that was 3 centuries ago. Maybe if you only give both RK and Adunabar some more advanced recruiting options but leave economy and population low as it is now? They would still remain roughly equally matched but you'd get some nicer units to use if you can spare the cost. Right now as RK, war in Eriador is fought mainly with militia, mercenary archers and few rare swordsman. Adunabar fields some better units, but I haven't played as them so I don't know if they're not just AI specific boosts.

Besides, it's weird to see great Annuminas, centre of royal power in Arnor, on a level of some southern cottage. Fornost is even worse.

In previous builds, we had RK begin play with Fornost (and Adunabar started with Threeways). We found that RK would steamroll everything in the North with some regularity, so decided to create some distance between the two Dunedanic factions by making Fornost and Threeways begin independent.

It's certainly worth revisiting those starting positions and development, IMO. Currently the situation seems to be that Tharbad wins pretty regularly in the North. It could be that low development levels for RK and Adun. up there play some role.

Quote Originally Posted by Stark1 View Post
    In 3 starts with RK they produced very few offsprings.
    This is a real problem. The dunadans lords die quickly, too quickly, while they have the elven blood! He leave very easily corrupted by darkness and usually die without issue. The lineage of kings survived for millennia but disappears in the game in a few decades.
    It's a shame this roleplay part of the game (noble families) currently do not and suddenly we do not attach works to his characters that we end up making with units elite or by attacks non-commissioned army.

Firstly, I must agree with Stark 1, why is Arnor so underdeveloped? It is Fourth Age, age of men, they have had quite a long time to develop the northern provinces and repopulate the once abandoned regions but still Annuminas and Fornost are nothing compared to settlements in Gondor. At least Annuminas should be on the same level with Minas Anor.
    Secondly,even when I develop both of them to the maximum level possible I am not able to recruit more than one unit in 5 turns or so. Given the long peaceful period before beginning of the mod it is not very realistic. Plus it is civil war, Adunabar is attacking with big forces and able bodied population in these two cities combined is not enough to make at least two decent armies?? My population growth in these cities is 2 or 2.5% and no recruiting options! I must send in reinfocements from south to be able to hold enemy back. Adunabar seems to have no problems of this kind in Arnor.
    My last point is the lack of heirs. I completely agree with Anadhryn´s words: The lineage of kings survived for millennia but disappears in the game in a few decades.

webba84's Avatar Artifex

Well, the things is that there has not been a long peaceful period right before this mod. RK and Adunabar have been at war for almost 100 years and in the backstory Adunabar just launched a big, not quite successful, attack that devastated and threw Arnor into chaos. Which is why it is so unbuilt at game start. There are a bunch of game balance reasons for it too, it slows down the conflict between RK and Adunabar up there, keeps the Shire alive longer, makes the outcomes more varied etc etc.

Keep in mind that in all of the lore even at its hight the population of Arnor was much lower than that of the southern realms, we are not going to make it a second Gondor up there. But it is probably a bit too hard to play at its current level of development, so we will address that.

As for the Lineage of Kings, well if RTW let us modify how long characters lived we wouldn't need to hide their ages, would we. But the blood of Numenor was almost spent before Aragorn took the throne and now even he is gone too. I dont see how its unreasonable that things could fall apart very quickly after that. Great empires seem to always be so.
    Last edited by webba84; January 19, 2015 at 11:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by webba84 View Post
    Well, the things is that there has not been a long peaceful period right before this mod. RK and Adunabar have been at war for almost 100 years and in the backstory Adunabar just launched a big, not quite successful, attack that devastated and threw Arnor into chaos. Which is why it is so unbuilt at game start. There are a bunch of game balance reasons for it too, it slows down the conflict between RK and Adunabar up there, keeps the Shire alive longer, makes the outcomes more varied etc etc.

Keep in mind that in all of the lore even at its hight the population of Arnor was much lower than that of the southern realms, we are not going to make it a second Gondor up there. But it is probably a bit too hard to play at its current level of development, so we will address that.

As for the Lineage of Kings, well if RTW let us modify how long characters lived we wouldn't need to hide their ages, would we. But the blood of Numenor was almost spent before Aragorn took the throne and now even he is gone too. I dont see how its unreasonable that things could fall apart very quickly after that. Great empires seem to always be so.
    Perhaps you could post those story bits somewhere? Here in some thread, or somewhere in game. I follow this mod for a long time, but even I forgot what was the entire backstory, didn't know Adunabar exists for 100 years.

With that information Arnor being underdeveloped seems more logical, though putting some better barracks in north shouldn't disturb balance much and it would add a lot to gameplay. For example, in Annuminas you can currently train only RK militia, which is pretty underwhelming.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast