Thread: How to add Upper Canada to victory conditions?

Default How to add Upper Canada to victory conditions?

Hello everyone,

a few days ago I bought ETW on steam and I started to create my own mod. Almost everything worked out quite well so far, but I have one problem: I'd like to add Upper Canada to the victory conditions but I can't. I tried 'upper_canada' as Region_KEY and I cant find Upper Canada in the REGION_ARRAY.

Does anyone know how to add Upper Canada?

Thx and best regards
    stp

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: How to add Upper Canada to victory conditions?

Welcome, stp2501. The startpos is a complicated file and it can be difficult to find what the games calls things like particular regions. By 'Upper Canada', do you mean the region which includes Montréal? [Edit] I think the regions_array calls this region ontario. (If you want to add the region which includes Québec, the regions_array calls this new_france.)

Here's how I edit victory conditions - you may well know all of this already but I'll mention it, in case it is useful:

If you open the startpos and open campaign_startpos, then Main campaign_preopen_map_info, then Victory_condition_options, then [name of the faction whose victory conditions you want to change] victory_condition_options, then victory_conditions_block, then four more victory_condition_blocks appear (one for the short campaign, one for the long campaign, one for the prestige campaign, one for the world domination campaign). To see the current victory conditions, open one (or all) victory_condition_block, then campaign_victory_conditions, then region_keys. (When you have campaign_victory_conditions open, you can see in the right-hand panel the number of provinces which the player must capture and the year when this campaign ends; you can use these to work out which of the campaigns you are editing (short, long, prestige or world domination). You can edit the region keys to change the victory conditions. You can also edit the number of provinces which the player must capture and the year by which they must capture them, if you want to (by selecting campaign_victory_conditions and editing the values in the right-hand panel.) You probably know this already, but - in case you don't - husserlTW advised startpos modders that the victory conditions for a faction must always include that faction's capital.

[Edited to add Ontario - previously I guessed that the region which you were looking for was new_france, but I was wrong!]
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 02, 2015 at 03:19 AM.

Thank you for your quick reply Alwyn. I already added 'new_france' as REGION_KEY to the victory conditions. The region I mean is called 'Upper Canada' as far as I know. It includes Montreal as main city.

Best regard
    stp2501

You're welcome. I'm looking at the regions_array in a startpos in ESF Editor and the region of ontario includes Montréal. Good luck with your mod - do you plan to make it available on the Mod Threads forum, for other players to try? Is it okay to ask what your mod aims to do?
    Last edited by Alwyn; January 02, 2015 at 03:11 AM.

Thank you very much :-)

added ontario and now Upper Canada is part of the ingame victory conditions.

I do not know if I'm allowed to upload the mod her because it is not fully mine. I downloaded a Norway-Mod in this forum but there are some minor promles I want to fix. Victory conditions were missing for example.

I know that canadian regions as victory contions are not the best choice for Norway, but I wanted to play it and I didn't want to make it a second Sweden.

Best regards
    stp2501

That's true - you would need the permission of the person who made the Norway Mod before uploading your edited version of their mod. Would you like to send a private message to the creator of the Norway Mod, asking for permission? (They might not be around any more, but, if they are, hopefully they will say yes). Good luck with your mod and with your campaign as Norway.

Does the Norway Mod include extra units for Norway? If not, you might want to try playing Norway with my Early American Revolution mini-mods (just the Early American Revolution mini-mods, not the Early American Revolution startpos). That would unlock a number of units for Norway include Mountain Troops, Provincial Line Infantry and Expatriate Infantry (in Europe), Provincial Militia and Colonial Howitzers (in inland American regions) and African Musketeers, Marine horse artillery and Maroon Rebel Insurgents (in the West Indies). There's a link in my signature, if you would like to know more.

Thank you, I'll definetly try to add your mod to mine :-)

Great, please let me know how you get on.