Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Submod] Training Building Bonuses Removed

Default [Submod] Training Building Bonuses Removed

I've created a submod to remove effects from buildings that give units buffs like +morale on recruitment, +charge bonus, +melee attack, that sort of thing. While these effects are fun, I think they undermine the purpose of DeI's AOR and mercenary system. Why recruit an AOR or merc unit, when you can recruit a superior, buffed unit from your core roster in the next province over?

I've kept other bonuses like +experience, -recruitment cost, and +replenishment. For some buildings (mostly religious buildings), I've added in a new effect to replace the removed buff, and for others (mostly main city building chains), I've simply removed the effect without adding a new one.

I'm pretty happy with my new bonuses right now, but it's possible that some are still too strong/weak. I want to avoid a situation in which a player can easily recruit units with gold chevrons, since the AI rarely builds these training buildings anyway. I have added a couple of +experience effects, but I've tried to keep them low. Of course, a clever player might be able to exploit these and min-max...

DeI 1.1 makes many changes that affect this mod, so it's a little different now. Training buildings are no longer an issue, so now this mod just removes buffs from other buildings that give them, in the same way it did before.

Downloads:

Mediafire Link
    Steam Workshop Version

Update Notes:
    1/2/15 - Updated Roman melee defence training building bonuses
    1/2/15, several hours later - Nerfed most experience bonuses, changed bonuses for Greek and Roman training and religious buildings.
    1/3/15 - Improved training building recruitment/upkeep bonuses.
    1/4/15 - Fixed the temple of Artemis building chain.
    1/7/15 - Changed several buildings, including Greek and Roman training buildings. Fixed Eastern buildings, and updated with changes from the DeI 1.02a hotfix. Remember to load this submod before the hotfix.
    1/9/15 - Updated with changes from DeI version 1.03.
    1/11/15 - Updated with changes from DeI version 1.03a.
    2/8/15 - Rebalanced effects of the Monument of Leonidas.
    7/8/15 - Updated with changes from DeI version 1.05c, cleaned up a little, and Mediafire link added.
    7/25/15 - Updated with changes from patch 17 beta.
    10/26/15 - Updated for DeI version 1.1.
    Last edited by Augustusng; October 25, 2015 at 07:55 PM.

Default Re: [WIP Submod] "On Recruitment" Building Buffs Removed

I really like this idea and wish you the best of luck with this mod. I personally never build any of these buildings because I feel it gives me an unfair advantage over the AI and I would like to see them retasked.

They could help with upkeep of units in the region, unit costs, etc. Basically they could become recruitment centers in that regard.

Get to work and maybe we can use this in the main mod

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Yeah, recruitment or upkeep cost reductions would be useful, as long as I can make each of the training buildings provide a slightly different bonus. I'll look into that tomorrow.

As for being part of the main mod, I had suggested doing this a while ago, but I guess a lot of people like the buff buildings, so we decided not to. Still, I'm not against the idea of incorporation into the main mod once I finish it...

Yeah I know, lots like the buildings but also some don't. Its also a player advantage.

I am torn on whether to have them or not. However, at the very least reducing some of their various bonuses (or changing them to different ones) is a good idea. I mainly didn't want to do this for 1.0 because I didn't have enough good ideas on what to change them to.

Well here's a rough first version of this submod (Download link in the OP). Try at your own risk.

On second thought, don't DL this yet. I've messed something up and I'm getting a crash on startup.
    Last edited by Augustusng; January 01, 2015 at 08:57 PM.

Okay, try the new version if you're interested (link in the OP).

I found a line I mis-typed, and it doesn't crash on startup now.

Also PFM found an error in an entry I never changed, so that's interesting. If anyone (playing without this submod) finds an oddly harsh penalty with a level 4 Eastern slave market building, that's why.

Is this save game compatable

Quote Originally Posted by Grizwald714 View Post
    Is this save game compatable
    Yes, it should be. I haven't removed any buildings or changed their requirements, just some of the bonuses they give. I've tested it with my current 1.0 campaign (though I haven't built any training buildings yet), and it seems to work.

Updated to fix a redundant bonus for the Roman melee defence building chain. Also added a Steam workshop version.

Default Re: [Submod] Training Building Bonuses Removed

Update: Nerfed most experience bonuses, changed bonuses for Greek and Roman training and religious buildings.

I like the idea of the mod but I think the first tier of upgrade buildings now have such a low upside that it isn't worth researching anymore. I think that the recruitment costs discount should be higher, that will turn it into a more economical building than a military one thus improving its viability. To make it not too overpowered you could give the first tier buildings a relatively high cost reduction and give the later tiers a lower increase in the reduction (eg -15%, -18%, -20%). You also might consider adding other building bonuses like: more recruitment slots or public order.

Okay, I might do the increased cost reduction or public order in the next version, but probably not recruitment slots. It makes sense (sure, a training building), but some factions (Rome and the nomads basically) can already have a lot of recruitment slots early in the campaign.

Yeah, recruitment slots on anything is a no-no for the most part. Just too powerful.

Updated to improve the recruitment cost/upkeep reduction bonuses from various buildings.

Updated to fix the temple of Artemis building chain. Hopefully that's the last update for a while. Everything seems to be functioning as it should, and I'm happy with the balance of the new effects at the moment.

SilverCohort's Avatar Civis

Can i use your mod in a collection of sub mods?

Yeah, sure. I'm glad you like it.

PM me if you update this mod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast