Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great Sea Total War Development

Default Re: Great Sea Total War Development

I always wanted to ask is there some whay of getting it to work with this Unit editor http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...09-Unit-Editor
    I can get some Mode to work with it but nether Hyrule nor GreatSea it would make Uniteditions way quiker

Is there a steam update available for the great sea mod too? Thanks!

The reason being that the campaign map isn't loading.

I had needed the steam update offered for the recent Hyrule version 6.7 mod.

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Stenbe View Post
    Is there a steam update available for the great sea mod too? Thanks!

The reason being that the campaign map isn't loading.

I had needed the steam update offered for the recent Hyrule version 6.7 mod.
    They're currently making the mod and there is no released map afaik.

Just copy/paste your Medieval2.exe and rename it Kingdoms.exe

Why does nobody know this? Its so much easier than complicating every mod with a patch.

Default Is "Great Sea Total War" downloadable yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    They're currently making the mod and there is no released map afaik.

Just copy/paste your Medieval2.exe and rename it Kingdoms.exe

Why does nobody know this? Its so much easier than complicating every mod with a patch.

IF it is not, is there any way I can help?

TheHylianJuggalo's Avatar Senator

Praise be to the goddess of life and nature! ^
    Michael Scott Meisenhelter - 3/3/1963-11/4/2015
    -Lost, but not forgotten. Baptized by fire.-

When I die,
    Show no pitty,
    Send my soul to Juggalo City.
    Dig my grave six feet deep,
    Put two matches by my feet,
    Put two hatchets on my chest,
    And tell my homies I did my best

Mr_Nygren's Avatar Berserkir

It's such a shame that I wasn't a modder at the time of this thread being started.. I literally did the exact modding work Neph wanted the community to do for Great Sea: Total War when I worked on WarCraft: Total War - the modder Bantu Chieftain did rig all the models for the wanted animations, and did sort all the textures and the UV-mapping - while I handled the coding/text-based aspect. Yes, you can easily spend months upon months on text-based modding alone.

In essence had this been in 2016 or 2017 I would have been able to do all the text-stuff while Neph could've done the models/animations/textures - how unfortunate.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again
    but betrayal with treachery.

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by TheycallmeBrick View Post
    UndyingNephalim has released the skeleton for Great Sea Total War. And he has stated that he has no wish to work on the text-based aspects. So you can guess what that means.

It means it's time to get to work.

I don't know how to use these text files, but from what I understand of the skeleton:

The Hylians and the Moblins already have their models/textures.
    The campaign map only has 4 regions, so that is likely still in development.
    The music is already finished and in there.
    There is no opening trailer yet, instead playing the TW2 opening.

So, looks like it's up to the community now. Even though I can't really work on text based things easily, here's something I can/did do: An Icon (not official) for the game. (If you make a shortcut for the game, make the shortcut go to the executable.bat, not the AUI.bat. Just trust me on this.)
    I did actually get this demo in 2016 or 2017 from Neph after I mailed him, that's how I got access to the New Hyrule land units for HTW: Classic Ultimate after all.

The Demo can't be completed because most of the factional rosters don't exist anymore, only two navies and one land-army do exist.

I did still add an intro-video to the demo which I uploaded to Youtube including a quick look at the demo, in which you can fight with the navies of the Moblin Settlers and New Hyrule on a custom battle-map set in the ruins of the Cobble Kingdom, or on another custom battle-map which is just a sea.

There are also land-battles but with like almost no units implemented, here is where I could probably add the entire land-army of New Hyrule including its heroes Tetra, Aryll, Captain Linbeck, Queen Laruto and Link.. But who are they going to fight? That's the issue.. One could add HTW rosters of course but that's really the only option today.

The demo had the two navies, all the music, only had New Hyrule's land army and it had some custom battle-maps.

The mod also included way more than 4 factions with their names and symbols ready, but sadly most are without unit models or have like 1 unit.

I've added an intro-video to the demo for fun, where I combined the two videos by Undying Nephalim into one intro-video and cut/edited stuff to be consistent.

The reason the mod can't be completed is that I believe Neph deleted all the assets years ago- so it's a little bit too late for that - with Hyrule: Total War we had the actual mod with all the models and the map, unlike here where we lack most of the models and the map is not playable.

There is a map with 4 regions but I failed to enter it.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 04, 2023 at 12:12 PM.
    Be your friend's, true friend. Return gift for gift. Repay laughter, with laughter again

- The Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by TheycallmeBrick View Post
    UndyingNephalim has released the skeleton for Great Sea Total War. And he has stated that he has no wish to work on the text-based aspects. So you can guess what that means.

It means it's time to get to work.

I don't know how to use these text files, but from what I understand of the skeleton:

The Hylians and the Moblins already have their models/textures.
    The campaign map only has 4 regions, so that is likely still in development.
    The music is already finished and in there.
    There is no opening trailer yet, instead playing the TW2 opening.

So, looks like it's up to the community now. Even though I can't really work on text based things easily, here's something I can/did do: An Icon (not official) for the game. (If you make a shortcut for the game, make the shortcut go to the executable.bat, not the AUI.bat. Just trust me on this.)
    This is the version released by Neph on December, 30th 2014 in the hopes that the community would fix it:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/76qy2...atSea.rar/file

It wasn't really worked on by the Community, and I received it in early 2017 in April I believe.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; October 15, 2023 at 07:59 PM.

- The Havamal

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

New Knights of New Hyrule Crossbowmen on the ships. In the Great Sea demo!

Unit_Info cards done for both navies.

I've added this to HTW CU as well.

Repeater Crossbow with a new crew.

I've added the entire land-army and the heroes for the land-army of New Hyrule.

Knights of New Hyrule Crossbowmen.

Elephants/ships can't have officers as the game would crash, and due to this demo only having custom battles a custom general isn't the solution neither - instead I've had to add the hero to the actual model of the ship. I've still to try it out in battle.

I've been struggling with a normal-issue, where if I use one normal the ship won't be visible but its shadow is, as is Tetra and the crew - and if I instead use the other normal then the ship, crew and Tetra's gear is visible but not Tetra's body..

If I use both textures at once nothing is improved.

I tried making my own normal-file but as always the models end up really ugly.

I think in order to solve this I'll need to move Tetra's gear to the other texture.

I failed for now, instead I made Tetra the captain. This unfortunately means that we won't see Captain Linbeck or the girl Aryll on a ship in custom battle. Had I succeeded we would have had them and Link on a ship. In a campaign they would certainly be on a ship as they would be generals- and you can indeed have an unlimited number of custom generals, unfortunately captains are limited to one in custom battles så we can only have Tetra out of the heroes- officers do crash on ships/elephants.

I've added an Oceanblin Captain for the Moblin Settlers and added the one unit they had rigged.

I've also updated the unit_info card and made it transparent.

I've also added the Rito Unit cards and made a Rito the captain, a flying Rito. They're unique to Great Sea. There are two variations of the Rito unit. One that moves up and down and one that stays in the air and dies in the water.

Added a new unit:

Some cool pics from a custom battlefield (castle):

Added Queen Laruto and her Aquamarines bodyguard as a swimming unit in naval battles.

The Navigator ship has a Surveyors crew.

Finished the faction selection screen for New Hyrule, as the mod has a campaign map with only 4 regions.. Sadly I've failed to enter it in the past but I'll attempt it again. I don't think the campaign will be available but at least it looks better like this.

I will add these cool facttion selection screens to the Great Sea demo and the descriptions. The heroes are lost, the land-army is lost too. The navy is included. I'll use placeholder HTW land-units.

The irony, what a shame - that I could only contribute donations in 2014... Now I'm actually modding exactly those areas and have been since 2016 - even though I only became good during 2017.

These looked cool:

Probably concept art for the cancelled Termina: Total war. Faction symbol to the lower-left.

So Neph posted this picture of Grehnel:

Looked good! Probably a part of another cancelled expansion.. I suspect most models were made - But not rigged.

Hm, he said that all the models were in but I only found New Hyrules models, not the land-army of the Ocean Blins or the Rito..

I were following the official thread. But missed out on the demo - Very weird as I had watched the trailer. Only read about it much later.. But at the time of the release of the demo on December, 30th 2014, there were three factions completed in terms of models. Later Neph finished the Anouki and the Empire of Bellum too! So it's odd that there weren't at least three factions in the demo.. 5 factions finished in total By Neph- out of 8 planned!

Empire of Bellum Faction Selection, I also re-enabled the rest of the intended factions. I only think the Anouki were finished out of the rest.

So the demo was released in December of 2014. The Anouki were finished on January 25th 2015. So it makes sense that Bellum and the Anouki didn't make it into the demo. But it's a shame that the Rito and the Ocean Blins didn't make it 100%.. As they were kind of available in December. But rigging the models and UV-maping them also is work. I guess creating them and texturing them is half the work. The 2nd half is rigging them for med2! Implementing them into the code is not that hard in comparison, just time consuming.

Anouki Faction Selection Screen.

I removed the unfinished ones in terms of faction selection screens.

Improved Crews, while not perfect they at least point their crossbows less downwards.

Cannons fired from the ships.

Just some factional rosters on "all":

I'll have to improvice on the enemies of New Hyrule.. As we don't have most of their units. I'm planning on creating new units based on the Gerudo Pirates.

They have 5 different skins. Each one could be a different unit. Giving them 5-6 units of Gerudo Pirate troops! Then we have their 2 siege units.
    I'll include the Rogue Hylians as the "Gerudo Husbands", and they may also get the old Keaton unit and/or units - which means 1-3 units, the Kokiri Thieves as well. All the bandit types. Then at least we have a land-army of the Gerudo Pirates. As for their navy.. Maybe they stole the Hylian ships, or maybe they use Oceanblin? Not sure - I'll give them 5-6 ships from the others but with their own crews. That should complete the Gerudo Pirates.

The Moblin roster will be used for the Moblin Settlers/Oceanblins. That will give them their land-army!

I've added the Rito hero Medli as both a naval unit and a land-unit to the mod, for both the Rito and the New Hyrule faction.

Medli will also be added as a new hero of the Lanayru Province in Hyrule Total War: Classic Ultimate. The only mod with a playable campaign! Medli was supposed to be unique to the Rito. But as the Rito only have two units I'll add them as bonus-units to New Hyrule. Medli did fight with Tetra in the videos by Neph. And the Rito are their ally so it makes sense. They're too few to be their own faction without the awesome roster.. And there are no models that fit the Rito except the actual Rito. So no placeholders from HTW!

Outpost Watch - Knights of New Hyrule using Crossbows in land-battles:

Ney Hyrule whole army - now with the Rito Ano Fencers and Link too on land.

The "Outpost Watch" will need a new card.

New Hyrule Navy:

Link has an Aquamarines bodyguard. They do swim. Link can also swim.

He has the blue Zora skin. The clothes that gave him the "breath underwater"-ability. Queen Laruto also has this bodyguard. Tetra is the captain. This means that she can be on a ship. Unfortunately officers don't work in custom battles on elephants/ships. So Aryll and Captain Linbeck aren't in custom.
    At least not on the ships. So they're only in the land battles. In the campaign they would have been custom generals. Where they would have been on their ships.

Swimming Link:

Boat crossbowmen improved:

So the main modeller of Warcraft TW helped with the crossbow-unit. In the final try he succeeded in fixing the issue with the crossbows pointing downwards:

Alright, I will just need to make the unit card for the crossbow-unit now, then add some loading screens and then New Hyrule and all the OG Great Sea units are in the game. After that I'll add some enemies. Using HTW content.

The above was completed on October 11th, 2023- I've since added most of the Ocean Blin land-army using the Moblin army from Hyrule: Total War for most of their units.

To be continued!

- The Havamal

New Loading Screens done:

Updated New Hyrule-roster with a new unit card for the Outpost Watch.

Current Moblin Settlers/Ocean Blins roster but I'll add some more units.

Siege is using the Oceanblins as a crew. They have the intended Flaming Ballistas of the Darknuts. They also have Ikanian Mortars. Named Mortar Battery. And the Yooks were supposed to be their own faction, but due to only having one unit they are also added to the Moblins.

Updated Moblins/Moblin Settlers/Ocean Blins land-army roster - now with two new units.

I've fixed all the projectiles in Great Sea: Total War. And the event pics during battle are now HTW instead of vanilla.

New Empire of Bellum troops, but it's not done yet.

I'm still going to add a heavy cav unit and some creatures. And that's the land-army.

Carnage after a Naval Battle:

New unit - the legs of the Cueball mount were hidden in the grass. Cueball Dragoons of Bellum. Yes, they have the green Zora-armor. In battle. So they're not just armor upgrades anymore. In Great Sea!

For New Hyrle's sea battles I'm gonna add some Lanayru troops from HTW just to have them available against the River Zora/Bellum.

The mod will never have more than 4 factions so I don't see an issue with adding some extra Lanayru troops for the naval battles.

Added this unit to both land and sea-battles:

Bigocto Riders (Octozora):

Only for land-battle. Updated roster but not finished- land-army. The card of the Bigocto Riders will be replaced.

A new card:

One more unit for the land-army will be added..

Fixed the numbers of the crew so that one guy isn't outside of the ship:

Floodbringers of Bellum:

Zola Catapult of Bellum:

Bigocto Riders and Siegeoctos of Bellum:

Cyclops-Ku of Bellum:

Geozard Knights of Bellum:

Mage Cannon of Bellum:

Rito Ano Fencers and Medli in a sea-battle:

New Hyrule Ship Captain Cannon Frigate:

Broadside Frigate:

Command Frigate - Labrynnian Pistolmen Captain and crew:

Marching/battle Captains on ships:

Moblin Demise works now for the first time ever thanks to Bantu re-rigging him, he will look like this and be named "Demise" in Classic Ultimate if added there - even though that would require a mount-slot..

But in Great Sea I'll use the model differently as I do plan on making him be 6 in a unit:

As the unit "Doom Knights of Ganon" - A new heavy cavalry unit. Based on an elephant.

The texture is not correct. For the body. He has Ganon's skin but should have a different one. Will have to try and find the right one.

"So the model of "Moblin Demise" had been in the files of Hyrule: Total War since 2012, but it had never ever been implemented into the game - so I decided to try the model in the game and it didn't work properly with its groups being all over the place rendering everyhting but the head invisible inside of the battle.

I did manage to combine all the groups and make it visible by looking at the working .mesh-file of King Ganon who is using a similar model. But it ended up with the crucifix-bug or "T"-issue where the model was static and would move but its parts wouldn't visibly move making it look like a wandering cross or "T".

Bantu re-rigged the model and now it works. And I've made it into the unit "Doom Knights of Ganon" which was a unit intended for Great Sea: Total War in use by the Ocean Blins or the Moblin Settlers. As the original land-army is lost I did end up using this model instead - it was supposed to be a big Moblin with heavy armour and a giant mace - instead here it has heavy armor and two swords.

So Demise is a demon hero of the Moblins, and this model was originally one out of three models of Demise used by Hyrule: Total War - it's the Moblin-form of Demise, then there are two demonic forms too.

So he was originally using a different skin for the body but I couldn't find it so here the unit is using the same skin as Ganon."

Final unit of the Empire of Bellum land-army and Navy:

Updated land-army of Bellum:

Empire of Bellum Navy:

Moblin Settlers/ Ocean Blins Navy:

New Hyrule Updated Navy:

- The Havamal

Hello, so I did release the updated and extremely polished new iteration of the Great Sea: Total War Demo on November 2nd, 2023 - but I didn't post the link because I had planned to write an article. Well, I haven't written any article yet.

Here is the link:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/hyrule-to...-sea-total-war

The Demo has 3 Playable factions in custom battle, with both Naval and Land Battles. Then there are a few factions with almost no units available as well.

The three factions are New Hyrule, the Moblin Settlers and the Empire of Bellum.

Only the New Hyrule faction has all the intended Great Sea units by Undying Nephalim/IceCreamMan.

The Moblin Settlers do have the navy, but their land-army is mostly an alternate Hyrule: Total War army with maybe one unit from Great Sea.

The Empire of Bellum do have their River Zora troops, but they lack any HD models and doesn't have any of the sea creatures - they're also mostly their HTW roster.

The cool thing about the demo is that it allows you to use ships and River Zora/Lanayru Zora in the naval battles.

The campaign was never made playable, and 4 out of five rosters weren't released - meaning the rosters of the Empire of Bellum and the Moblin Settlers aren't their intended ones from the Great Sea previews and mostly work as placeholder enemies for New Hyrule.
    Last edited by Mr_Nygren; January 13, 2024 at 07:25 AM.

- The Havamal

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12