Thread: Everything that wasn't in Rome 2 that should be in Atilla

Default Everything that wasn't in Rome 2 that should be in Atilla

• Guard mode button.
    • Some representation of the Roman "Limes" system of fortifications and defense in depth system. This is hugely relevant to this time period and the game would be completely remiss to exclude it.
    • Torches that don't look like electrical spotlights in night battles.
    • City view.
    • A more exciting soundtrack.
    • Soundtracks for each faction or culture.
    • Faction into videos.
    • Faction victory videos.
    • Agent videos.
    • Buildable roads.
    • Buildable walls. The Aurelian Walls, Hadrian's Wall, and Theodosian Walls are famous.
    • Loose formation for all units.
    • Display -% of each side that are dead displayed by hovering over the balance of power bar.
    • More detailed post battle statistics like in previous games that doesn't disappear after a few seconds.
    • Some of the wounded soldiers able to recover after a battle.
    • All buildings constructed shown in city view and on the battle map.
    • Ability to destroy constructed buildings during battles.
    • General speeches before battles with the option to skip.
    • Historical event messages and historical natural disasters.
    • A representation of actual population numbers. (Not an abstracted 1, 2, or 3 growth)
    • Disease.
    • Famine.
    • Tunneling under city walls.
    • Siege weapons that are actually pushed and carried not magically floated forward.
    • Removal of ridiculous fantasy siege weapons like the gigantic tortoise.
    • Ladders that are actual ladders and not giant roller ramps.
    • Limits on elite troops.
    • Unit cards that don't disappear when a unit routs. Make it optional at least.
    • Removal of the double stacked unit card UI that takes up 1/3 of the screen.
    • Removal of instant army to navy transports.
    • Pirates represented by actual units not a percentage. Though they can be a percentage too I suppose.
    • Cities reduced to non goofy sizes on the campaign map. There is no megalopolis that big even today.
    • Inclusion of unit banners and the option to only have one banner per unit instead of many excessive small banners.
    • More realistic looking banners.
    • Routing enemies shown on the radar map.
    • Removal of torches attack in siege battles.
    • A non minimalistic UI that displays all the information I need in one place. This isn't a smartphone or tablet it's a desktop PC game.
    • Picture in picture videos showing the death of generals in battles and wall breaches. Or zooming to the General when he dies like in Rome 1.
    • Arrows that sound more powerful. In Rome 2 I think they sound too wispy.
    • Slider option to adjust projectile trails.
    • More historical battles and the option to play as either side.
    • Banners stay on routing units so you can track them down and see their numbers and the factors affecting them.
    • Agents with more distinctive roles and less crossover.
    • Less agent and general upgrading spam almost every turn.
    • A trait system that develops naturally instead of the player just choosing their traits.
    • I'd rather have 2D advisors than 3D advisors that look the same and have low resolution textures and no anti aliasing.
    • Unit armor that gets increasingly dirty, wet, bloody depending on what they've done.
    • More realistic less jaggy and less shiny looking blood.
    • Armor and weapon upgrades that visually change the appearance of units.
    • Trade between cities of your empire not just with outsiders.
    • A complete overhaul and expansion of diplomacy. Diplomacy is so weak in Rome 2.
    • Less goofy sounding avatars in diplomacy.
    • Client states and Satrapies that are actually worthwhile and not useless.
    • Settlements outside of cities that can be raided like in the previous three games.
    • Hotseat campaign.
    • Drop in battles.
    • Unit projectile range showed when you have a unit or units selected instead of only when hovering your cursor over the unit.
    • All unit statuses shown on different parts of the unit card at once instead of only one status being shown at a time in flashing intervals.
    • Health bars for ships.
    • Visible turning arcs shown for ships.
    • Units fighting to the death when surrounded.
    • Ability to zoom in closer during battles.
    • Removal of the unit fading system from battles.
    • Removal of the formation attack button. I really don't understand this button. Units should always fight in their specific formations.
    • Message boxes that drop down the side of the screen and have unique sounds when opened on the campaign map.

Default Re: Everything that wasn't in Rome 2 that should be in Atilla

Quote Originally Posted by blackberryalpha View Post
    • Guard mode button.
    Guard mode button could return. Even though I haven't used it much, and haven't seen many situations in Rome 2 where I could use one, but it wouldn't hurt me so ok.

• Some representation of the Roman "Limes" system of fortifications and defense in depth system. This is hugely relevant to this time period and the game would be completely remiss to exclude it.
    But how exactly would you like for it to behave? Some small immobile stacks at the borders? Or what?

• Torches that don't look like electrical spotlights in night battles.
    Visual thing but I can agree.

• City view.
    I used it in RTW maybe two times, and I don't see what's the fuss about the city view? Because it would take time, and drain some of the resources that could be surely needed in some other fields (even as last resort additional Q&A ), for feature that I doubt many people use (often)

• A more exciting soundtrack.
    This is up to personal preference, because I find Beddow's soundtrack on Rome 2 pretty good, and Jeff's soundtrack for Rome was not the greatest, and had parts of it that I dislike (Jeff's best work was at Shogun 1/2).

• Soundtracks for each faction or culture.
    While in this case, I couldn't say no (more music is always better), but if at the same time, factions would have one or two tracks repeated then for all that is holy no. "Generic" but fitting to the general theme but with many tracks > few repeatable specific tracks that you would hear during playthrough

• Faction into videos
    Yup, these would be nice.

• Faction victory videos.
    There are faction victory videos in Rome 2, but they are culture group specific, and maybe a little bit generic. Of course it would be nice for it.

• Agent videos.
    It is not possible probably. Many different factions and cultures, with agents looking differently, different action types and so on, it would need A GREAT number of videos to not becoming repetitive very quick. (Imagine spy trying to kill general. Video should be different at least for each culture group Roman spy, would look differently to the Saxon spy), now at least two or three movies with same result (2-3 success, 2-3 failures). Now it seems you have at least 6 videos per agent type per action per culture group.

• Buildable roads.
    Depends.

• Buildable walls. The Aurelian Walls, Hadrian's Wall, and Theodosian Walls are famous.
    Isn't Hadrian's Wall already constructed? (And from what I vaguely remember it is on the Attilla's Campaign Map)

• Loose formation for all units.
    Could return

• Display -% of each side that are dead displayed by hovering over the balance of power bar.
    In my opinion I wonder if there even should still be balance of power bar

• More detailed post battle statistics like in previous games that doesn't disappear after a few seconds.
    Agree

• Some of the wounded soldiers able to recover after a battle.
    Yes, but with some changes to that. Maybe after a battle there should be roll against each "dead" soldier, influenced by tech, retainers and stuff. If roll would result in success then the soldier is wounded. If roll would fail, then the soldiers is treated as casaulty (dead, maimed, disabled) Wounded soldiers then would roll again, for immiediate recovery (chance would be small probably). Immiediate recovery -> return to unit after battle without problem. All wounded but without immiediate recovery would return at the start of the next turn to the unit.

• All buildings constructed shown in city view and on the battle map.
    • Ability to destroy constructed buildings during battles.
    • General speeches before battles with the option to skip.
    • Historical event messages and historical natural disasters.
    • A representation of actual population numbers. (Not an abstracted 1, 2, or 3 growth)
    • Disease.
    • Famine.
    • Tunneling under city walls.
    • Siege weapons that are actually pushed and carried not magically floated forward.
    • Removal of ridiculous fantasy siege weapons like the gigantic tortoise.
    • Ladders that are actual ladders and not giant roller ramps.
    • Limits on elite troops.
    • Unit cards that don't disappear when a unit routs. Make it optional at least.
    • Removal of the double stacked unit card UI that takes up 1/3 of the screen.
    • Removal of instant army to navy transports.
    • Pirates represented by actual units not a percentage. Though they can be a percentage too I suppose.
    • Cities reduced to non goofy sizes on the campaign map. There is no megalopolis that big even today.
    • Inclusion of unit banners and the option to only have one banner per unit instead of many excessive small banners.
    • More realistic looking banners.
    • Routing enemies shown on the radar map.
    • Removal of torches attack in siege battles.
    • A non minimalistic UI that displays all the information I need in one place. This isn't a smartphone or tablet it's a desktop PC game.
    • Picture in picture videos showing the death of generals in battles and wall breaches. Or zooming to the General when he dies like in Rome 1.
    • Arrows that sound more powerful. In Rome 2 I think they sound too wispy.
    • Slider option to adjust projectile trails.
    • More historical battles and the option to play as either side.
    • Banners stay on routing units so you can track them down and see their numbers and the factors affecting them.
    • Agents with more distinctive roles and less crossover.
    • Less agent and general upgrading spam almost every turn.
    • A trait system that develops naturally instead of the player just choosing their traits.
    • I'd rather have 2D advisors than 3D advisors that look the same and have low resolution textures and no anti aliasing.
    • Unit armor that gets increasingly dirty, wet, bloody depending on what they've done.
    • More realistic less jaggy and less shiny looking blood.
    • Armor and weapon upgrades that visually change the appearance of units.
    • Trade between cities of your empire not just with outsiders.
    • A complete overhaul and expansion of diplomacy. Diplomacy is so weak in Rome 2.
    • Less goofy sounding avatars in diplomacy.
    • Client states and Satrapies that are actually worthwhile and not useless.
    • Settlements outside of cities that can be raided like in the previous three games.
    • Hotseat campaign.
    • Drop in battles.
    • Unit projectile range showed when you have a unit or units selected instead of only when hovering your cursor over the unit.
    • All unit statuses shown on different parts of the unit card at once instead of only one status being shown at a time in flashing intervals.
    • Health bars for ships.
    • Visible turning arcs shown for ships.
    • Units fighting to the death when surrounded.
    • Ability to zoom in closer during battles.
    • Removal of the unit fading system from battles.
    • Removal of the formation attack button. I really don't understand this button. Units should always fight in their specific formations.
    • Message boxes that drop down the side of the screen and have unique sounds when opened on the campaign map.
    Ok, there is to much to respond to now, probably will finish list later
    How many times someone guessed wrong about my nationality: 3
    Where do I not come from: Czech Republic, US, South America, Former Colony, Germany, Austria, Switzerland

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Modding tools? Such as map editor(campaign and battle)? rigid_model_v2 convertor? more functional sound improvements/modding(horns, unique faction soundtrack, unique faction units voices etc.)? Not that much, nope?

I have only one thing to ask: NO MORE BUILDING SLOTS. This idiotic thing ruined Rome II for me.

I don't want to build up too much expectation because I did that with Rome II and I was disappointed. The problem is that I often want this or that thing from a Total War game, and when those things aren't included I feel short changed - rather than simply accepting the game for what it is. I remember with the original Rome: Total War many people felt angry and short changed because many of the features of Medieval: Total War were not included in Rome, while other things that were included had been altered - for instance, Total War veterans hated the new style campaign map . This is the feeling I had with Rome II - I kept fighting against the features that CA had changed or included rather than trying to live with them and accept that Rome II wasn't going to be a carbon copy of the original Rome (except with improved graphics) but was its own game with its own new and different features.

I recall back in the old days , you took what you got because there were no such things as trailers, development blogs and videos, interviews, screenshots, and Wikia pages to build up hype and expectations for about a year and a half before the game's release. So I try not to think things like ' this game ought to have no permanent settlements for the Huns - only temporary nomadic camps' because when those things are not going to be in the game I'll be disappointed for no good reason, simply because it didn't live up to the image I had built in my mind. It's perfectly ok to want the series to improve and for CA to fix old problems, but I often get the feeling people want Total War games tailor made for them - and they get angry when those features they demanded aren't included. That's why mods are so important for the future of this series.

Come February 2015 I'll no doubt end up being a hypocrite, and I'll try my best not to get swept up into too much speculation and so on, but I have a feeling I'll fail.