Thread: Medieval Latin

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Default Medieval Latin

Here, we will have a link to the Master Source Document for the Latin,

Here we will have a link to the Translation Master Document,

And here we will have a link to the Medieval Translation Master Document.
    When this medieval translation document is completed, recording can begin.

This thread is for discussing the language, translation, sources of information, and eventually, the mod itself and how it can be improved.

If your language doesn't already have thread, PM me and I'll make one, or go ahead and make one yourself, and I'll make sure that your first post contains all the necessary info. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Beiss; November 21, 2006 at 09:54 AM.

Pyrgopolynices's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Medieval Latin

I'm in Medieval Latin also. Probably this language won't be used in the battlefield, am I right?

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrgopolynices
    I'm in Medieval Latin also. Probably this language won't be used in the battlefield, am I right?
    Most likely for religious characters (ie Priests, weddings maybe). I dont think Inquisitors should speak Latin cause theyre most likely only be setting a man on fire and encouraging the crowd.

We'll see about that when we hear their voices in the campaign map.

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrgopolynices
    We'll see about that when we hear their voices in the campaign map.
    When are you gonna get your copy?

btw I might be a bit rusty, I havent had Latin for a year now. Do you know any good Internet dictionaries?

Beiss's Avatar Nemo nascitur...

Hah, I'm definitely interested in helping out with Latin, too. But I don't know that much. The internet is crawling with English-Latin dictionaries, but the problem is really the grammar... but yeah, we won't need to do a lot of translation for Latin, I don't think.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

mac89's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Beiss
    Hah, I'm definitely interested in helping out with Latin, too. But I don't know that much. The internet is crawling with English-Latin dictionaries, but the problem is really the grammar... but yeah, we won't need to do a lot of translation for Latin, I don't think.
    Grammar is a lot easier to remember for me so its all good.

Ok. Just remember that medieval Latin might differ from classical Latin in some ways.

Also, I think we should try to make people speak Latin differently depending on which faction they belong to. This might be as easy as letting a German person record the German Latin, for example. Hehe.
    Last edited by Beiss; November 08, 2006 at 04:44 AM.
    Under the patronage of Halie Satanus, Emperor of Ice Cream, in the house of wilpuri

Latin in western europe was all very close. It was like the ecclesiastic one, a bit like speaking latin in an italian way. Latin in other regions, however, is still a bit obscure for me. But vocabulary was very similar: Saint Augustine's way.

When are you gonna get your copy?
    I bought in Amazon, they're saying it will be here in the 14th of November, but I heard mail services will be on a strike here in Portugal. I hope they don't take too long. :hmmm:
    Last edited by Pyrgopolynices; November 08, 2006 at 01:38 PM.

Yeah, they might have used the same words, but I'm sure pronounciation was rather... individual.

lol thats true, but Grammar has always been the hardest part of Latin for me to remember lol but it should be relatvely easy no? what do priests usually say i forget :-P lol oh but the problem i think we'll face is finding the Latin equivalent of "Heretic" because i dont think that it was widely used...

lol i stand corrected...

hereticus, heretici N M 2 1 M [FEXDS]
    heretic; teacher of false doctrine (Dif);

haereticus, haeretici N M 2 1 M [EEXDS]
    heretic; teacher of false doctrine (Fif);

For english-latin Translations heres a great program for your PC a sort of downloadable dictionary and it saves you a bit of money too lol
    http://users.erols.com/whitaker/wordswin.htm

But if you want me to i can get started on those translations because i ahve the week off so we could start on Classical Latin and then research the "vulgar" latin/Ecclesial Latin (even though im not on the team id still like to help in n e way possible)
    Last edited by HellsIronChef; November 23, 2006 at 11:35 AM.
    The one and only HellzIronChef

Find me on RTW online and challenge me to a game
    ]HELL[HoA-C]Daimyo_Chef

You can Also find me occasionally on Medieval II Total War online as ]HELL[IronChef

Proud Member of the Hillsborough High School Latin Club

Proud Future member of the Education Community

Shigawire's Avatar VOXIFEX MAXIMVS

If you want, you can use my classical latin translations as a base to build upon.

Mediæval Latin would sound very much like in the movie "Passion of Christ" - since the latin in that movie was off by at least 800-1000 years.
    ------------------------------VOXIFEX MAXIMVS-------------------------------
    ------PROUD PARENT OF THE EUROPA BARBARORUM VOICEMOD-------

"To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will its true nature be seen." -The Amtal Rule, DUNE