Thread: Horse Armour

Default Horse Armour

Hi, I didn't know where to post this but I figured this wouldn't be a bad place to do so. Does anyone know what the best preserved horse armour collections are and where they are located, from the period 1250-1550?

Thanks, Antiochus.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Default Re: Horse Armour

I have no images to link, But I can tell you with some confidence that the military museum in Brussels has at least 3-4 examples of late medieval/Renaissance Horse plate Armour. I can only assume they are genuine and not replicas, but don't take my word on that as I can neither speak Dutch or French which the exhibit descriptions were in. Either way they looked pretty cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by IrishBlood View Post
    I have no images to link, But I can tell you with some confidence that the military museum in Brussels has at least 3-4 examples of late medieval/Renaissance Horse plate Armour. I can only assume they are genuine and not replicas, but don't take my word on that as I can neither speak Dutch or French which the exhibit descriptions were in. Either way they looked pretty cool!!
    Thanks! I have Belgium on the travel list - Antwerp, Ghent, Brugge and Brussels.

Do you know of any good ones in the London area?

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Sorry dude, never been!

Eats, shoots, and leaves.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Antiochus Seleukos View Post
    Hi, I didn't know where to post this but I figured this wouldn't be a bad place to do so. Does anyone know what the best preserved horse armour collections are and where they are located, from the period 1250-1550?

Thanks, Antiochus.
    I would think The British Museum would would likely have amassed one of the largest collections anywhere maybe the MET as well but since they probably focus on world wide displays what portion of the collection is on display in the specific range your interested in is hard to guess.

You might keep your eye out from traveling displays. Back in circa 1980 I was able to a Medieval armor and weapon exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts that was basically a core of stuff the MET and some stuff borrowed from private holdings and than pretty much all the DIA had in stock A really cool exhibit altogether in one place. But after a Month the DIA would not be so exiting in that area.
    Last edited by conon394; January 01, 2015 at 08:16 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

You mean the Met in New York?

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Yep sorry for lack of clarity. I guess my point was broady that the NYC MET and the British Musime likely have vast collections but what is on display is likely to depend on space and what else they are doing.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.