Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: !!! 3.6 Open Beta - Released !!!

Default Re: !!! 3.6 Open Beta - Released !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Being that I spent countless hours making those, you break my heart. Not only are the new unit icons uniformed, clearly display branch and name of the unit, they also use historically correct state or regiment flags, while the old icons used modern state flags which was just wrong. The generals have their pics if you right click on the general unit, why they don't show in tray is a code issue, probably better explained by pappagoat. Why would Reynolds have to be in? Is this another one of those "Why is Regiment X not in?" questions, we hate so much? We had to make a certain selection and selected the ones that are in. Some made the cut, others didn't.
    I apologize if I gave the impression that your work was ill-founded, but I do think they go against the immersion offered by most of the rest of the mod. I think a good balance would be to use these cards for the more standard units and have a special card for the individualized ones. I really thought having paintings of the period was a great way to do it. Another option might be to simply use those a backdrop on the same card. This would probably minimize the workload and hell, if you like, I'd be more than willing to lend a hand. The biggest improvement I think you can make is the color of the cards themselves. Making them less saturated, or perhaps only having the outline have color would bring back the immersive feeling offered by the semi-vanilla cards. Especially in the case of artillery, the cards used seem very abrasive and distracting. There might also be such a thing as cards that are too uniform.

As for Reynolds, I certainly understand having to cut many units and individuals. I guess a better way of phrasing my query would be "why was Reynolds cut, but McDowell kept?" Reynolds was easily the best tactician the Army of the Potomac, and indeed the entire American army.

Archers Brigade-
    Attack-1
    Defense-1
    Accuracy-1
    Yankee Killin Machine-999
    Morale-99999

Just my personal very outrage opinion on the unit selection system:

I am actually against the idea of having any 'special' or 'famed' regiment being made into a separate unit (I know it's what CA did in ETW). I think that unless a historical unit was either organized (like light inf vs line inf) or equipped (like different musket or rifle) significantly different from the others, it should not be a separated unit in-game (meaning that should only be unit type as 'Union regular infantry' or 'CSA light horse', only for the players to rename the unit in the campaign)

My view is that while some regiments were more well known for their action, it's not like that they were essentially better than other units of the same branch as soon as they're enlisted. Units like the 20th Maine or the Iron Brigade, their men were not specially stronger than other regular Union infantrymen as they enlisted.
    What make them perform in such a outstanding manner in battlefield was their leadership or experience, and I think this is well represented by the experience system in the game.
    It's a bit unrealistic to have 'famed regiment' be made as a separate unit with higher stats than the other regular one, when in history these regiments were just regular infantry unit with more experience than the other. The only real-life factor that should affect initial stats was, besides of weapon, the stage of training (like milita, regular, or guard infantry).

Also it should also be considered that the ETW units purchasing UI is very flawed. As there are so many units, the cards all stack on top of each other and making it very hard to select specific unit to buy/produce.

Tl dr: I am for the idea to get rid of all particular regiments and just use generic unit type instead, as it's more realistic and more UI friendly.

This is not a very serious concern, just some random thoughts.

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

In principle I agree...

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

delmat's Avatar Tiro

yes I also think you're right in principle and everything you wrote is true..but bear in mind that this is a game, not a historical simulation..I think that without these special regiments the game would become boring and repetitive even though it is not historical..it's not like they implemented the machine guns and robots in acw battlefield or some imaginary regiments (not including zombies of course ..

it's just that these beautifully made units (with every other aspects) make this mod great and offer amazing experience and freedom in customizing battles over and over again..I know that aestethics are not of primary concern but this is a relatively newer game so why not enjoy visuals as well, and the guys made a hell of a work with these units and who can make everyone happy..
    you can always play Antitetam or Sid Meier's Gettysburg or some other game with cubes, triangles and circles that represent units (I'm not being sarcastic or rude, just writing this so you can understand what I want to say)..regards

Nothing stopping you from going back and playing 3.4. Some people want more... some people want less... etc etc etc

Kinggeorge's Avatar Laetus

Very sorry if this has been brought up before and I haven't seen it looking around this thread but when I start a 3.6 campaign as the CSA for some reason most of my cities have very very very high unrest and they all rebel with moderate size armies containing Regulars, Artillery and Cavalry. It seems I don't have much of a chance at all with these popping up in every state, is this a big or a campaign glitch not worked on yet.

To be honest, what qqsuen says makes perfect sense. Keep all the units and their textures, just change the stats. Many regiments in the Civil War like the 20th Maine were known for their actions. The 20th Maine was really pretty much only known for their defensive at Gettysburg Little Round Top. It shouldn't make them have 20+ more accuracy than other units. The only thing that should change are the range of different muskets and rifles, and morale. By changing the moral of units, I mean the Confederates having more moral. By muskets and rifles, well that's obviously already implemented in the mod and it works very well. The only units that should have a change of accuracy, are sharpshooters and skirmishers; just a tiny bit though. Like +5.

Quote Originally Posted by nordherogaming View Post
    To be honest, what qqsuen says makes perfect sense. Keep all the units and their textures, just change the stats. Many regiments in the Civil War like the 20th Maine were known for their actions. The 20th Maine was really pretty much only known for their defensive at Gettysburg Little Round Top. It shouldn't make them have 20+ more accuracy than other units. The only thing that should change are the range of different muskets and rifles, and morale. By changing the moral of units, I mean the Confederates having more moral. By muskets and rifles, well that's obviously already implemented in the mod and it works very well. The only units that should have a change of accuracy, are sharpshooters and skirmishers; just a tiny bit though. Like +5.
    Edit: Well actually sharpshooters would need a lot of accuracy since you had to meet high qualifications unlike regular or volunteer infantry regiments.

Do I download this if I have never downloaded any other version of this mod? Also are there instructions for how to install this for someone who has never downloaded any version of this mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival1066 View Post
    Do I download this if I have never downloaded any other version of this mod? Also are there instructions for how to install this for someone who has never downloaded any version of this mod?

Go to page one of THIS THREAD!!!!! Please try reading before posting!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Beta-Released-!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pappagoat View Post
    Go to page one of THIS THREAD!!!!! Please try reading before posting!

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Beta-Released-!!!
    You guys seem like you are always dicks about everything lol, if you have a life you can't be expected to do "research" on every last thing that could have possibly ever been discussed. That being said, it's a fantastic mod, and keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by nickrica View Post
    You guys seem like you are always dicks about everything lol
    You're absolutely right! If ye wanna take over PR and answering same questions from people who don't bother to look aroud a bit over and over again, the job's available...

Well, I wouldn't mind so much, lol. I just think that people being enthusiastic about your mod is a good thing, and the process of going about properly installing stuff can be tricky for people who are unfamiliar with it. They shouldn't have their heads bitten off for asking questions, especially if they're new to the party.

Hey Trig, Pappagoat and the team.

A big thank you to all of you for an outstanding mod.
    Well thought out and with lots of detail, I like it a lot. I am am a veteran Total War player and have modded probably every TW release except the original Shogun.
    I have been paying your ACW mod and I am enjoying it a lot. I am new to it and have only been playing it for a week. (V 3.6 beta)

As a historian and American Civil War enthusiast I very much appreciate the level of detail you guys have put into this work, from the background and stories of the units and characters, to the campaign map and the units on the battlefield. It encourages the player to get immersed in the cataclysmic period in North America that was the Civil War.
    For those who are not that familiar with the conflict they can get a nice history lesson whilst playing it, which is great !

I do have some feedback about some of the game-play etc, is this the thread to post it to?
    Also a little technical feedback, where do I post for that?

Once again, thank you for an excellent mod. I appreciate the work and passion it would take to produce work such as this and I understand that it's a work in progress which can only mean it will get better.

Regards,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by The Dee View Post
    I do have some feedback about some of the game-play etc, is this the thread to post it to?
    Also a little technical feedback, where do I post for that?
    Thank you!

Try here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Thread/page54

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Hey Trig,
    Thank you for your reply.

Is there a specific thread for technical things ie; crashes, bugs and noticed bits n' bobs?

Regards,
    D

Quote Originally Posted by The Dee View Post
    Is there a specific thread for technical things ie; crashes, bugs and noticed bits n' bobs?
    The whole Technical Help section I suppose http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...Technical-Help

Quote Originally Posted by nickrica View Post
    You guys seem like you are always dicks about everything lol, if you have a life you can't be expected to do "research" on every last thing that could have possibly ever been discussed. That being said, it's a fantastic mod, and keep up the great work!
    That is very inconsiderate after everything they have done, they get hassled with why isnt this in the mod or could you add this or why is this wrong... Modding a game such as this is hard work and when people dont read anything that they have posted to guide people through the install process, it can be frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Railin12 View Post
    That is very inconsiderate after everything they have done, they get hassled with why isnt this in the mod or could you add this or why is this wrong... Modding a game such as this is hard work and when people dont read anything that they have posted to guide people through the install process, it can be frustrating.
    Hey, i have my own mod for Mount & Blade so it's not like I have no idea. Mine is smaller by comparison but, I still have to tell people the basics such as how to use WinRar, and I don't lose my over it. I once started a Submod thread on here, and had it locked cause I didn't want to post in some dusty old thread that nobody even sees anymore. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...gimental-Flags It's still up there on the list without anyone else starting a new thread, so I really don't see the problem with rehashing old topics or asking questions as it's not like that many people are posting anyways.