Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: !!! 3.6 Open Beta - Released !!!

Default Re: !!! 3.6 Open Beta - Released !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fedual View Post
    Love the new version, apart from the crash that is, i had fun while it lasted, around 15 turns or so
    Could you elaborate on the nature of the crash, and the version of startpos you were using?

Quote Originally Posted by Fedual View Post
    Love the new version, apart from the crash that is, i had fun while it lasted, around 15 turns or so
    Fedual please post your error log

Foederatus

I've actually played for a good 40 turns now without any campaign crashes. My problem is the battle crashes... they are worse than ever for me (and by worse, I mean more consistent), and I've followed pretty much all the advice given to prevent them . Nothing to be done I suppose. It's sad really, because those new units are amazing.

What really frustrates me is that custom battles work just fine even if I am running those with 4 full armies and all graphics maxed out... but if I want to fight any of the battles in a campaign, I will crash 90% of the time regardless of settings :/.

Quote Originally Posted by Savathor View Post
    I've actually played for a good 40 turns now without any campaign crashes. My problem is the battle crashes... they are worse than ever for me (and by worse, I mean more consistent), and I've followed pretty much all the advice given to prevent them . Nothing to be done I suppose. It's sad really, because those new units are amazing.

What really frustrates me is that custom battles work just fine even if I am running those with 4 full armies and all graphics maxed out... but if I want to fight any of the battles in a campaign, I will crash 90% of the time regardless of settings :/.
    Same as well. My hopes are bet on the TWS2 and NTW ACW mods...

I would like share my experience with 3.6. First of all, Great job, Great Mod. As always.
    I had no problems with installing and starting the mod, as I never had any problems with previous versions - follow instructions and you will be fine
    I am currently on my 3rd. attempt/3rd campaign- first one I got to turn 18, and the game crashes every time at the end of the turn, right after I hear a brake/skip in a audio/end of turn sound. I have started 2nd campaign and got to turn 17, did not get a chance to even play any battles in this campaign... Union forces have just besieged New Orleans... same thing, every time I end the turn, the same sound/skip and crash to the windows...
    now, I am a stubborn "mf" so I started a third campaign and guess what... I am on turn 30 and well into Civil War, so far the game has not crashed during the campaign map. Also, I have played 4 battles and won all! ( kicking Union's Ass, although love the AI etc... but luck is about to change (btw. I play hard campaign, hard battle ) out of those 4 battles, 1 crashed and it was a small skirmish between about 500 vs 300 infantry, so go figure
    I have my settings same as Trig or someone proposed, I only keep my units on "large" Aslo, just as someone shared a tip and suggested- DEP (Data Excursion Prevention) set to OFF for ACW game. and finally, recently I started playing in "offline mode" internet/steam...
    To sum this up, not sure what causes the crashes but they are there - campaign and battle, seems like the game needed to settle in . just wanted to share few... hope this helps in anything and thanks again for a great game!

Trig's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by vanXywa View Post
    I would like share my experience with 3.6. First of all, Great job, Great Mod. As always.
    I had no problems with installing and starting the mod, as I never had any problems with previous versions - follow instructions and you will be fine
    I am currently on my 3rd. attempt/3rd campaign- first one I got to turn 18, and the game crashes every time at the end of the turn, right after I hear a brake/skip in a audio/end of turn sound. I have started 2nd campaign and got to turn 17, did not get a chance to even play any battles in this campaign... Union forces have just besieged New Orleans... same thing, every time I end the turn, the same sound/skip and crash to the windows...
    now, I am a stubborn "mf" so I started a third campaign and guess what... I am on turn 30 and well into Civil War, so far the game has not crashed during the campaign map. Also, I have played 4 battles and won all! ( kicking Union's Ass, although love the AI etc... but luck is about to change (btw. I play hard campaign, hard battle ) out of those 4 battles, 1 crashed and it was a small skirmish between about 500 vs 300 infantry, so go figure
    I have my settings same as Trig or someone proposed, I only keep my units on "large" Aslo, just as someone shared a tip and suggested- DEP (Data Excursion Prevention) set to OFF for ACW game. and finally, recently I started playing in "offline mode" internet/steam...
    To sum this up, not sure what causes the crashes but they are there - campaign and battle, seems like the game needed to settle in . just wanted to share few... hope this helps in anything and thanks again for a great game!
    Thank you both for your input.

Here's some clarifications.

1. I also got same type of battle crashes in vanilla Shogun 2: Total War. Usually towards the end of the battle, I'd zoom in on my samurai chasing off last defeted units, the sound would stutter and the game would ctd. When I substantially lowered graphics settings this happened less often. I don't have a good gaming computer, but an old laptop, which runs these games, just not terribly well.

2. It appears it has something to do with how the game handles graphics memory in battles, as the amount of units in battle doesn't really affect the frequency of the crashes. Many say turning off Steam Overlay helps as well, so perhaps there is a conflict in non graphic RAM usage as well. This has very little to do with our mod, but Empire: Total War itself and not much we can do about it, but try to adapt our settings.

3. American Civil War Mod team tried to remedy the situation by completely reworking all units (about a year of hard work, btw, to those who can do nothing but whinge), by following the vanilla concept more closely. Previously ACW mod used some 10 unit models, repainted with hundreds of different textures. Whenever someone wanted to add a new regiment's uniform, another new texture was added. Since each texture has to be loaded into graphics memory, hundreds of them, each at a few MB, fill up that limited memory pretty badly. Vanilla ETW had this set up rather differently. Each model only had one texture, but faction colour would overpaint it where needed, so you'd get Brits in red coats and Russians in green both using same model/texture... We took a similar, but distinctly different path. We tried to have as many models share the same texture, ba putting additional/different stuff o same texture. So the texture includes grey and blue trousers, for instance, and two different units can be made out of it by one model being mapped to blue, the other to grey trousers. We took this to the extreme by introducing "multitextures" which all featured several jackets, pants, insignia, and pappagoat spent countless hours mapping each unit to different parts of such a texture, so we got all the unit variety, but without the cost of having hundreds of textures. On my old laptop this already was sufficient enough to greatly minimise the ocurance of battle crashes. I still get one in a blue moon, but with this being done, graphics settings lowered as I suggested and Steam Overlay being turned off, the battles would not crash any more frequently than they do anyway also in other Total War games...

4. The campaign crash is a harder nut to crack. We believe it's got something to do with something that was done in the startpos already by the previous mod leader. We barely touched the startpos, as we don't really know much about editing it, yet have been getting these crashes since the last internal build left by Minas Moth. Apparently when it's one of the minors' turn, they do something conflicting (maybe they recruit a wrong unit in the wrong place, do some diplomacy somewhere, etc) which causes a conflict and crashes the campaign. We suspect this is the case as the crashes are not random, but as you saw, if you reload the game before the campaign crash, it will again occur on the same turn always. So when the AI does some thing it shouldn't do on exactly that turn... Getting to turn 30 or beyond still does not guarantee the same sort of crash won't occur at 45 or 50 or 67 for instance... One possible solution is to do a startpos again from scratch or at least from the last non-crashing version (if we can be sure it was non-crashing) from 3.5 beta. But for that we'd need the help of someone skilled with startpos, which neither pappagoat or myself are.

5. We have included older, probably more stable startpos files in the download and if you want you can try playing with those and see if crashes will also occur.

6. nordherogaming your consistently kind words of support for our efforts are greatly appreciated.

click banner for ModDB page and all ACW versions download links

Foederatus

Thanks for the clarifications, Trig. I know you guys have been working your rear ends off, and I salute you for it ! I also know there's not much more to be done about the crashes, but I will try playing around with one of your alternate startpos files once I get the time, and see if the results are different.

On a different note, does anybody know what happened to Minas Moth? I remember him just disappearing one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    Thank you both for your input.

Here's some clarifications.

1. I also got same type of battle crashes in vanilla Shogun 2: Total War. Usually towards the end of the battle, I'd zoom in on my samurai chasing off last defeted units, the sound would stutter and the game would ctd. When I substantially lowered graphics settings this happened less often. I don't have a good gaming computer, but an old laptop, which runs these games, just not terribly well.

2. It appears it has something to do with how the game handles graphics memory in battles, as the amount of units in battle doesn't really affect the frequency of the crashes. Many say turning off Steam Overlay helps as well, so perhaps there is a conflict in non graphic RAM usage as well. This has very little to do with our mod, but Empire: Total War itself and not much we can do about it, but try to adapt our settings.

3. American Civil War Mod team tried to remedy the situation by completely reworking all units (about a year of hard work, btw, to those who can do nothing but whinge), by following the vanilla concept more closely. Previously ACW mod used some 10 unit models, repainted with hundreds of different textures. Whenever someone wanted to add a new regiment's uniform, another new texture was added. Since each texture has to be loaded into graphics memory, hundreds of them, each at a few MB, fill up that limited memory pretty badly. Vanilla ETW had this set up rather differently. Each model only had one texture, but faction colour would overpaint it where needed, so you'd get Brits in red coats and Russians in green both using same model/texture... We took a similar, but distinctly different path. We tried to have as many models share the same texture, ba putting additional/different stuff o same texture. So the texture includes grey and blue trousers, for instance, and two different units can be made out of it by one model being mapped to blue, the other to grey trousers. We took this to the extreme by introducing "multitextures" which all featured several jackets, pants, insignia, and pappagoat spent countless hours mapping each unit to different parts of such a texture, so we got all the unit variety, but without the cost of having hundreds of textures. On my old laptop this already was sufficient enough to greatly minimise the ocurance of battle crashes. I still get one in a blue moon, but with this being done, graphics settings lowered as I suggested and Steam Overlay being turned off, the battles would not crash any more frequently than they do anyway also in other Total War games...

4. The campaign crash is a harder nut to crack. We believe it's got something to do with something that was done in the startpos already by the previous mod leader. We barely touched the startpos, as we don't really know much about editing it, yet have been getting these crashes since the last internal build left by Minas Moth. Apparently when it's one of the minors' turn, they do something conflicting (maybe they recruit a wrong unit in the wrong place, do some diplomacy somewhere, etc) which causes a conflict and crashes the campaign. We suspect this is the case as the crashes are not random, but as you saw, if you reload the game before the campaign crash, it will again occur on the same turn always. So when the AI does some thing it shouldn't do on exactly that turn... Getting to turn 30 or beyond still does not guarantee the same sort of crash won't occur at 45 or 50 or 67 for instance... One possible solution is to do a startpos again from scratch or at least from the last non-crashing version (if we can be sure it was non-crashing) from 3.5 beta. But for that we'd need the help of someone skilled with startpos, which neither pappagoat or myself are.

5. We have included older, probably more stable startpos files in the download and if you want you can try playing with those and see if crashes will also occur.

6. nordherogaming your consistently kind words of support for our efforts are greatly appreciated.
    As always, I try my hardest! Let my words shape the future of this mod.

On a different note, does anybody know what happened to Minas Moth? I remember him just disappearing one day.
    That's all we know too. One day we were talking on Steam, making plans. Then never again...

Quote Originally Posted by nordherogaming View Post
    As always, I try my hardest! Let my words shape the future of this mod.
    I can see the future you help shape. Fed up moders leaving...

just to add and follow up to my previous post - I am currently on turn 48, so campaign seems fine... played more than few battles and after my post not a single battle crash! what makes me said is that I am 1-2 turns away from completing my campaign objective playing as CS... time flies when you have fun.
    I totally agree with what Trig said, previous and original TW games have crashed and so this mod might occasionally crash during battle, but adjust your game/graphics settings, steam overlay turned off/off-line mode just as I did and you will greatly help your game.
    Again, Hat's off to you for this great Mod and all the support

For some reason when I start a campaign, all of my states are Imperialistic/Unionists as the CSA. Can somebody help me? I use warpath, enabled ZoR, and did a clean reinstall of ETW. I followed these exact instructions:
    1. Have a fresh clean install of empire total war with warpath addon. - verify cache files to be sure and start a empire vanilla campaign to see if the vanilla campaign game will start first then exit game and steam.
    2. Install brothers vs brothers 3.3, and then start-up steam
    3. Start up 3.3 launcher but do not start game and exit launcher choosing vanilla ready then close steam.
    4. Copy the pack files from 3.4, copy to ACW/Packs and overwrite.
    5. Install subs launcher exe.
    6. Install zor 3.5 exe
    7. then copy 3.6 files and copy and overwrite to acw/submods folder with the new 3.6 files.
    8. Start up steam and then start up acw launcher, click warpath, then click zor in submods option of launcher and start campaign of your choice(us or csa)

Sounds like you are using one of the older startpos files for the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by pappagoat View Post
    Sounds like you are using one of the older startpos files for the campaign.
    Yes, I was hoping to see if that would reduce crashes.

It's part of the campaign, it's controlled by the campaign file, so that is why.

Please give us a report on your progress with the stability of that campaign version.

Please give us a report on your progress with the stability of that campaign version.
    So far I made it at like turn 25 when my game froze moving a fleet across the campaign map. No battle issues though.

So you cannot play as Mexico in the campaign? Just curious.

Hinkel's Avatar Commander in Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Oforrsteel View Post
    So you cannot play as Mexico in the campaign? Just curious.
    The mod is called American Civil War - Brother vs. Brothers and not Mexican war..

Mexican roster = 5 units
    Civil War faction roster = more then 400

If you want to play as mexico, feel free to create a submod and make it playable, adding 50 more units and such
    --------------------------- The American Civil War for Total War ------------------------------

What we want to hear:

IF you are testing the different versions of the campaign startpos, we would like to hear from you. We are interested in hearing about which versions you have used and if / when / how you had a campaign crash. What turn? What event / action seemed to trigger it, which minor move turn was it?

We would really appreciate feedback on this so that we can identify the most stable version of the startpos campaign files from which to base any future rework off of.
    I'm not really sure if this is what you're looking for, but here's my experience: I never had a campaign map crash until V3.6 It always occurs at around the same time ~8 turns into the game when I sacrifice Kentucky to take all 3 of Texas' territories. (I take Texas, then when the enemy moves into Kentucky it crashes.)

I'll be honest with you guys, while I like what you've done so far, I'm really not feeling the new unit cards (is that what they're called? The icons that represent different regiments and batteries in the unit tray) I like how you've highlighted each unit with their branch color, but pictures used seem somewhat..... cartoonish, I guess would be the best way to put it. I much preferred the ones in 3.5 with a solider in from of a quite nice looking flag. Obviously I'm really only talking about certain units like the Iron Brigade or 20th Maine, but you get what I'm saying. The same goes for the generals. Having their pictures was a really nice touch (on the topic of generals, where is Reynolds?)

Another suggestion, I think that the campaign map symbol for fortification, the cheval-de-frise, should be left as cheval-de-frise, that is, unless you plan on visually upgrading the new earth & cannon one you have now. It is such a small item that I think the cheval-de-frise makes it easier to hide the texture difficulties presented by such a device and is also more immersive.

I turn up on these new ships. That's my jam.

Replacing religion was an awesome idea. Now I don't have to hold a feaux inquisition to make people happy. (not to mention violating separation of church and state)

I do have one question to bring this to a close though and it may be a bug in my game. Has music been taken out or rather not re-implemented yet? Whenever I play I get vanilla WPath music.
    Last edited by Trig; January 26, 2015 at 07:46 AM.

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    I'll be honest with you guys, while I like what you've done so far, I'm really not feeling the new unit cards (is that what they're called? The icons that represent different regiments and batteries in the unit tray) I like how you've highlighted each unit with their branch color, but pictures used seem somewhat..... cartoonish, I guess would be the best way to put it. I much preferred the ones in 3.5 with a solider in from of a quite nice looking flag. Obviously I'm really only talking about certain units like the Iron Brigade or 20th Maine, but you get what I'm saying. The same goes for the generals. Having their pictures was a really nice touch (on the topic of generals, where is Reynolds?)
    Being that I spent countless hours making those, you break my heart. Not only are the new unit icons uniformed, clearly display branch and name of the unit, they also use historically correct state or regiment flags, while the old icons used modern state flags which was just wrong. The generals have their pics if you right click on the general unit, why they don't show in tray is a code issue, probably better explained by pappagoat. Why would Reynolds have to be in? Is this another one of those "Why is Regiment X not in?" questions, we hate so much? We had to make a certain selection and selected the ones that are in. Some made the cut, others didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifter View Post
    I do have one question to bring this to a close though and it may be a bug in my game. Has music been taken out or rather not re-implemented yet? Whenever I play I get vanilla WPath music.
    Explained in the first post of this thread under issue number 14. I recommend you read the other points too if ye haven't yet.