Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Russia’s new military doctrine lists NATO, US as major foreign threats

Indefinitely Banned

Default Russia’s new military doctrine lists NATO, US as major foreign threats

well, well, post Cold War world indeed; welcome to Cold War 2.0, gents, proudly brought to you by US neocons and people still living like it's the 1985.
    Russia has adopted an updated version of its military doctrine, which reflects the emergence of new threats against its national security. NATO military buildup and American Prompt Global Strike concept are listed among them.The new doctrine was approved on Friday by President Vladimir Putin. Its core remains unchanged from the previous version. The Russian military remains a defensive tool which the country pledges to use only as a last resort.
    Also unchanged are the principles of the use of nuclear weapons which Russia adheres to. Their primary goal is to deter potential enemies from attacking Russia, but it would use them to protect itself from a military attack – either nuclear or conventional – threatening its existence.
    The new sections of the doctrine outline the threat Russia sees in NATO’s expansion and military buildup and the fact that the alliance is taking upon itself “global functions realized with violation of international law.”
    The doctrine lists among major foreign military threats “the creation and deployment of global strategic antiballistic missile systems that undermines the established global stability and balance of power in nuclear missile capabilities, the implementation of the ‘prompt strike’ concept, intent to deploy weapons in space and deployment of strategic conventional precision weapons.”
    The Yury Dolgoruky nuclear-powered submarine.(RIA Novosti / Pavel Kononov)

Another new point in the doctrine is that one of the Russian military’s goals is to protect national interests in the Arctic region.
    READ MORE: Sneak peak at Russia’s ‘under renovation’ Arctic base
    The document also points to the threat of destabilization countries bordering Russia or its allies and deployment of foreign troops such nations as a threat to national security.
    Domestically, Russia faces threats of “actions aimed at violent change of the Russian constitutional order, destabilization of the political and social environment, disorganization of the functioning of governmental bodies, crucial civilian and military facilities and informational infrastructure of Russia,”the doctrine says.
    Moscow sees international cooperation with countries sharing its effort to increase security, particularly members of BRICS, the OSCE, the Shanghai Cooperation Organization and others as the key to preventing military conflicts, the doctrine states.
    Traditional threats that Russia must deal with mentioned in the doctrine include extremism and terrorism, proliferation of weapons of mass destruction and rocket technology and actions of foreign intelligence services.
    The document notes that modern threats are increasingly drifting from a military nature to informational, and states that the likelihood of anyone launching a fully-fledged war against Russia is decreasing.
    Source: http://rt.com/news/217823-putin-russ...tary-doctrine/

well done, s; you've effectively set back civilization at least 60 years:

EDIT: in case some people here are missing the point; sorry but current ABM tech aint going to save you from MIRV'd thermonuclear warheads. It only takes one warhead on a US metropolitan area/EU city for the entire world to go to .

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Re: Russia’s new military doctrine lists NATO, US as major foreign threats

Brought to you by US neocons? I didn't realize it was US neo-cons that invaded Ukraine in 2013. Oh and the oh so unbiased RT as a source. Classic Exarch.

And so what if they got fancy nukes? Welcome to the threat we have been facing since 1948. MAD didn't stop existing just because the cold war is over.
    Last edited by Vanoi; December 26, 2014 at 09:26 AM.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Default Re: Russia’s new military doctrine lists NATO, US as major foreign threats

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    well, well, post Cold War world indeed; welcome to Cold War 2.0, gents, proudly brought to you by US neocons and people still living like it's the 1985.
    You were expecting something different when, since we couldn't counter their Ukraine invasion militarily, we wrecked their economy with impunity? Please. Get with the times.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

welcome to Cold War 2.0, gents, proudly brought to you by US neocons and people still living like it's the 1985.
    Yep shaking in my boots here on this one... how is this the fault of neo cons anyway? I would not mind living in 1985 if I get to 15 again a lot mistakes I could avoid.

in case some people here are missing the point; sorry but current ABM tech aint going to save you from MIRV'd thermonuclear warheads. It only takes one warhead on a US metropolitan area/EU city for the entire world to go to
    And that was not their point what saves us from that is 11 Ohio class SSBNs and the follow attack to such a strike. ABM as designed now is only really intended to counter the limed ability of small nuclear states.

Cold War 2.0
    Pretty hard to have one a country with a economy that is in the tank.

oh and have fun with linking NG to oil prices...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworst...nd-gas-prices/
    Last edited by conon394; December 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

alhoon's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris
    took an arrow to the knee

About new military doctrine: Eh... was the old military doctrine any different? I don't think Russia ever stopped listing USA and NATO as major threats.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    And that was not their point what saves us from that is 11 Ohio class SSBNs and the follow attack to such a strike. ABM as designed now is only really intended to counter the limed ability of small nuclear states.
    Not really. To use nukes, you need the president and generals. If Russia or China take out the whole USA, as in carpet nuke USA, wiping out 320Million people within 2 hours (and they can do that), then the submarine commanders won't have the keys necessary to strike back.
    Of course, England, France, India and Pakistan would wipe out Russia and\or China about an hour after that.

There are two things that stop that:
    First and least important: No nuclear power can be 100% sure that they would manage to destroy the command centers of the other before they're destroyed themselves (MAD).
    As in, Russia\China\England\France can wipe out USA in 2 hours but they can't be sure they won't be wiped out within 1 hour and 50 minutes. 1% chance of total annihilation is a big risk to take for dickwaving.

Second and way more important: Would China and Russia bomb their most important customers? Would USA wipe out their most important importers of stuff? The world is intertwined too much for someone to blow up USA\France\England\Russia\China\India and not collapse by the shockwaves themselves.

So...
    Nope, no nuclear winter is coming. MAD and world realities stop that. Perhaps a rogue group MIGHT kill 100K people which is terrible, but there's no apocalypse in the horizon.
    Last edited by alhoon; December 26, 2014 at 11:14 AM.
    alhoon is not a member of the infamous Hoons: a (fictional) nazi-sympathizer KKK clan. Of course, no Hoon would openly admit affiliation to the uninitiated.
    "Angry Uncle Gordon" describes me well.

Senator

A) the current situation Russia faces is Russia's own fault and B) good luck trying to fight Cold War 2.0 with an economy smaller then Italy's.
    If I had to choose between betraying my friends and betraying my country, I hope I would have the guts to betray my country.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

why are Nato and USA to blame for this?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Russia gets to point fingers for their own people's sake as much as any other country. That's the benefit of being a political power of any size.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Thanatos's Avatar Now Is Not the Time

We weren't major foreign threats before? I feel hurt. I thought you loved​ us, Russia!

It's really just a re-statement of the previous policy; except the part where they send asymmetrical forces and agents into neighbouring countries to destabilize them first.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Dante Von Hespburg's Avatar Sloth's Inferno

Massive over-sensationalization here Exarch.

Firstly, when did Russia not view NATO and the US as a threat?

Secondly as many others have pointed out, they'll be no 'cold war 2.0'- Russia today is far far less capable than the Soviet Union, it's economy is insignificant in any meaningful area and indeed dwindling. It's sole reliance being oil.... which well look how that's turned out. Russia just isn't the power it used to be. Ukraine cost it even more and has set it further down the path of economic issues.

If you want a cold war, look to China, though China is actually very savvy about politics and economic mutual advantage (mostly) so i doubt they'd be so self destructive.
    House of Caesars: Under the Patronage of Char Aznable

Proud Patron of the roguishly suave Gatsby

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by alhoon View Post
    Not really. To use nukes, you need the president and generals. If Russia or China take out the whole USA, as in carpet nuke USA, wiping out 320Million people within 2 hours (and they can do that), then the submarine commanders won't have the keys necessary to strike back.
    And they would do with absolute and complete surprise how? Invalid argument.

Plus the thing is any active subs could figure out the US was just destroyed.

http://content.time.com/time/magazin...1361-1,00.html

"Could the crew circumvent the security? Of course they could, Volonino knew. His sailors had hammers, picks and blowtorches, which they could use to break into the safes holding the captain's indicator-panel keys. For that matter, he didn't even need the keys to launch the missiles. His men were skilled technicians who knew practically everything about the Nebraska's electronics. They could drill screws out of cabinets, open them up and hot-wire circuits for the keys like car thieves. But that would take a lot of people being in on the conspiracy--dozens of them in the missile-control center and the missile compartment and at the conn. At the very least, more than a third of the men on board would have to be involved. And even that might not be enough. There were other sailors scattered throughout the sub who, on their own, could flip a switch or pull a lever to prevent a launch. A rogue captain would have to brainwash practically the entire crew into doing something it knew was seriously wrong. He found it impractical in the extreme."

But consider the senero of a utterly destroyed USA and everything they loved gone do really think the crew would not desire vengeance?
    Last edited by conon394; December 26, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by conon394 View Post
    And they would do with absolute and complete surprise how? Invalid argument.
    To add, odds are the launch trails are likely seen as soon as they launch. Two hours is a moot number.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

ShockBlast's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As said by others, the launch would be detected early so there would be enough time for the Americans and all other nuclear powers to fully launch their entire nuclear arsenals.

Also, as I recall, Soviet military middle management tended to be a tad skeptical when they detected nuclear launches.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    Because Exarch said so.

Exarch, I just love how you blame everyone except Russia, yet this is your thread title:

Russia’s new military doctrine lists NATO, US as major foreign threats
    Who is doing what to whom now?
    Last edited by Dr Zoidberg; December 26, 2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Aanker's Avatar Concordant

Our world leaders must be trembling in their boots.

Also, I'm sure a total nuclear war would not have a devastating impact on the entire Earth, just conveniently destroying American cities and leaving solely that population decimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Russia have managed to weaponize the loneliest and saddest people on the internet by providing them with (sometimes barechested) father figures whom they can adhere to in order to justify their hatred for the current establishment and the society that rejects them.

UNDER THE PROUD PATRONAGE OF ABBEWS
    According to this poll, 80%* of TGW fans agree that "The mod team is devilishly handsome" *as of 12/10

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Also, as I recall, Soviet military middle management tended to be a tad skeptical when they detected nuclear launches.
    Well it's not like American Missile Command is publicly known for being top of the line either these days...
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Indefinitely Banned

lol how much did the US pour into ABM research?

Russian 'ABM killer' intercontinental missile to enter service in 2016
    Russia’s newest RS-26 missile system, dubbed the ‘anti-missile defense killer’, will join the ranks of the country’s defenses in less than two years, Russia’s Strategic Missile Force commander said.

“We are continuing the test program for RS-26 and plan to finish it next year, with the missile to be put on combat duty in 2016,” Lt. Gen. Sergey Karakayev is cited as saying by RIA Novosti.
    Currently, there is hardly any information available about the new missile system because it was developed in secrecy.
    Reportedly, the RS-26 is a solid-fuel missile with an advanced splitting warhead, which is launched from a mobile platform.
    It was designed at the Moscow Institute of Thermal Technology, apparently under the codenames Rubezh (Frontier), or Avangard (Vanguard).
    Previously, the Russian deputy prime minister in charge of defense, Dmitry Rogozin, referred to the RS-26 as “the ABM killer.”
    “Neither modern nor prospective American missile defenses will be able to prevent this missile from being able to hit the bull's eye,” Rogozin explained.
    Chief of Russia's Strategic Missile Force (RVSN), Lieutenant General Sergey Karakayev. (RIA Novosti/Vladimir Rodionov)

According to RIA Novosti, the new missile has been test-fired previously on at least four occasions, with three tests registered as successful.
    However, there was no official information on any new RS-26 tests carried out after 2013.
    Karakayev also said development of the new silo-based heavy ballistic Sarmat missiles will be completed by 2020.
    “This heavy rocket will be deployed in Uzhur [in the Krasnoyarsk Region] and Dombarovsky [in the Orenburg Region],” the Strategic Missile Force commander said.
    Sarmat is said to weigh around 100 tons and has an operational range of some 5,500 kilometers.
    It’s seen as a replacement for the Russian military’s current SS-18 Satan intercontinental ballistic missiles.
    In mid-December, Karakayev also announced that Russia is building a new railway missile system called Barguzin.
    Topol-M ground missile complex launcher (RIA Novosti/Ramil Sitdikov)

The draft project for “the missile train has been completed; design documentation is now being developed, with the industry already working hard on preparing a model for testing,” he said.
    The Soviet army used to have a railway missile system, but it was outlawed by the 1991 START treaty.
    However, Russian Deputy Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov stressed the 2010 New START treaty doesn’t forbid the construction of missile trains.
    Barguzin, which is expected to stay in service till 2040, will far exceed its Soviet predecessor in terms of accuracy, range of missiles and other characteristics, Antonov said.
    Russia’s Strategic Missile Force will return to three service groupings, which includes silo, mobile and rail-based missiles.
    http://rt.com/news/217695-abm-killer-missile-russia/

y'know, the most memorable part in that film was the scene where the farmers realise that since all the topsoil is irradiated, they're all going to starve.
    oh yeah and the scene where after the nukes are launched, noone really cares 'who started it'
    Last edited by Exarch; December 26, 2014 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch View Post
    lol how much did the US pour into ABM research?
    If you think that's what's causing the US missile program problems these days then you haven't done crap to keep up with the news.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast