6 10.91%
  • Kingdom of Spain

6 10.91%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: {DIK} Your favourite faction

Default Re: {DIK} Your favourite faction

JMJ -

Yes.

Something cool and unexpected happened too. While my army was conquering the northern island off the coast (Sardinia?); I suddenly end up in a war with the Papal States. At the beginning of one of my turns, I get an offer from a condottieri to help with my war. I'm asking myself, what war? I accept the offer and then learn I'm at war with the Papal States because Gaeta rebelled against them and decided they wanted to be part of Milan. That was a neat touch. So I proceeded to monkey stomp the Papal States, so Venice declares war on me, and I monkey stomp them as well.

Cool stuff.

YBIC
    Mike

Aneirin's Avatar of flowing verse

Yes, that could happen also. Almost forgot this feature

Hopefully you have enjoyed this twist!

Do you mind to post some screens of your current realm?

Regards Neadal
    Proud son of Aikanár and brother of Iskar

JMJ -

I enjoyed the twist, but I wasn't in a position to hold the town and the Papal States took it back after a while.

I would love to...except that I admittedly don't know how to get a screen shot.

I was going to get one last week of an epic battle I had with the Ottomans when I was Florence, but that never happened. It was basically over 3,000 Ottomans to my 1600. The terrain was to my advantage; I posted up on a hilltop with only one way up. Set up my cannons to cover most of the map along with a few arquebusiers and the rest of my troops at the front. I suffered almost 500 men lost while the Ottomans suffered over 1600. Good stuff.

Sorry if this post is off topic for this thread.

YBIC
    Mike

Iskar's Avatar Insanity with Dignity
    took an arrow to the knee

Frankfurt, München, somtimes my beloved Rhineland

The "Print" button on windows keyboards takes an ingame screenshot and saves it to the folder .../Medieval II Total War/tgas. Mind that you need an image editing program like Gimp or Photoshop to convert the tga-images into jpgs or pngs to post them here.
    "Non i titoli illustrano gli uomini, ma gli uomini i titoli." - Niccolo Machiavelli, Discorsi
    "Du musst die Sterne und den Mond enthaupten, und am besten auch den Zar. Die Gestirne werden sich behaupten, aber wahrscheinlich nicht der Zar." - Einstürzende Neubauten, Weil, Weil, Weil

On an eternal crusade for reason, logics, catholicism and chocolate. Mostly chocolate, though.

I can heartily recommend the Italian Wars mod by Aneirin.
    In exile, but still under the patronage of the impeccable Aikanár, alongside Aneirin. Humble patron of Cyclops, Frunk and Abdülmecid I.

JMJ -

Thanks Iskar. I tried that before but ended up with a blank picture, I didn't know I needed the extra steps.

YBIC
    Mike

So are there any results you'd like to share?

JMJ -

I have conquered the whole of the Italian boot, minus the one town owned by the Spanish down by Messina. I purchased Saluzzo and Torino from my French allies and conquered the Venetian cities in Damatia (?). I did have to purchase one from the Ottomans, they beat me to it by 1 turn! I can't complain too much, they did defeat the Venetians two stacks around the town.

I have destroyed the Kingdom of Naples (just in time, they were besieging one of my newly conquered cities and their army turned to rebels.) And I thought that the Papal States were gone, but I forgot that they have holdings in France (they just conquered to French cities along the coast). We, along with France, were forced into a ceasefire with the Papal states, just as I had raised an army to take the French coastal cities back. It seems now that the King of Spain is also the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire. This presents a problem because I was raising forces to fight the Spanish in Sicily and Sardinia.

I have sent two stacks of armies across the ocean to take Tunis and begin taking the rest of North Africa from the Ottomans; but I must bide my time until my forces are ready in Dalmatia to fight them off (one stack seems less than sufficient, luckily Ragusa is large enough to recruit adequate units).

Since our defeat of Naples, we disbanded the mercenary armies, and our regular armies are garrisoned to regroup and resupply. This has caused a major boost to our economy. The money is now flowing well, and we will be ready to fight to defeat both the Spanish and the Ottomans soon enough.

I'm not as good as Iskar at writing battle reports. I did it once for another strategy game for the playstation; but those were a bit more sinister, I can give it a try again some time if you like and post it in the other thread.

Still working on getting screen shots.

YBIC
    Mike

To compete with Iskar is hardly possible, but why should your story not be worth telling?
    Different types of people, different kind of story telling!

What is your exact problem with the Screenshots?
    Last edited by Aneirin; March 31, 2015 at 05:46 AM.

JMJ -

Iskar is really good at it.

My problem with screen shots is that I don't have the software to process them.

YBIC
    Mike

Google is your friend
    Just search for Gimp. That's a 2D software program.
    Just open the tga files and save them as jpg or png.

JMJ -

So I conquered the entire map as Milan. The only question I have is which faction to play next. And since I have a new computer with a dedicated graphics card, I will set the unit sizes to large.

I may even keep track of whats going on for an AAR.

YBIC
    Mike

Well congratulations
    What about the kingdom of Naples or Venice?

JMJ -

I decided on Venice. Huge unit sizes and medium difficulty AI. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I will take on the challenge of Naples next.

YBIC
    Mike

I think Naples is one of the hardest faction, maybe the most difficult one

Sure, have fun!
    Your map is still in work

As a descendant of both South Italians and Portugueses, I choose the Kingdom of Naples.
    (Sadly, I can't vote on the Poll)

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Kerdied, I think you need 25 posts to be able to vote. Just keep on contributing on the forums and then return here
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Julio85's Avatar Biarchus

Ottoman Empire

but I like all of them at the end

That is a very interesting development, the Ottoman caught up with the Signoria of Florence!

dikaios's Avatar Foederatus

My favorite faction is the Kingdom of Hungary! I like it because of the challenge. It's a nation in the brink of disaster! One has to face the dreaded Ottoman invasion while he's trying to stabilize the economy of his nation. It was by far one of my most hard, frustrating and fun (especially after I kicked the hell out of the Ottos) campaigns I've ever played!

Moreover, I really liked the Hungarian roster! Awesome cavalry, excellent archers and somewhat good arquebus units. I trully liked the early-game problem about the hungarian weak infantry, but I overcame it by building the Hospitallers barracks wherever it was possible and utilising their infantry unit.
    Last edited by Aneirin; May 29, 2016 at 05:38 PM.

I am very glad you had much fun during playing the Hungarians
    It seems the Ottomans had no change after all?

Did you make use of the events, which granted you different kinds of infantry units?
    I am speaking of the Uskoks for example.
    Were they kind of useful in the end?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast