Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting Team Members for HTW

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Default Recruiting Team Members for HTW

Well the time has come to expand the team beyond just lonely little me.
    Despite the draining effect working on this mod for five years has had on me, I still love it too much to just stop and I want to continue working on it. However, some of the more tedious aspects I don't really want to touch anymore. Simply put, all I want to do for Hyrule: Total War is create the models, animate them, and make all of the Hyrule Historia missions. I want nothing to do with balance, bug testing, or anything that requires me to edit text files. From this point forward I want to work strictly on the artistic and idea aspect of this mod and its expansions. As such I'm going to experiment with bringing on other members and working with a team.

So then, what is it I need?
    - 1 to 3 people who know how all of the various text files work. These will mainly be (but are not limited to): battle_models.modeldb, export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_mount.txt, export_descr_buildings.txt, and campaign_script.txt.
    - At least one person familiar with memory editing. In order to complete the mod I will need to increase the unit limit, the mount limit, and the building limit. I would also like to increase the faction limit, as there are more NPC's I'd like to include.
    - A member that knows how the campaign map and all of it's associated map files work. While the map is largely complete for the main game, the expansions will all be needing maps. I'll probably lay out the basic foundation for the campaign maps and then hand them off.
    - As far as balancing goes, I'll give general guidelines as to what roles I'd like the units I create to fit into for the team member(s) responsible, and then let the community decide if they are too powerful, too weak, should serve a different role, etc. In this regard the mod will become more of a community driven affair, as balancing everything is obviously not one of my skills.
    - The community seems to be doing a pretty good job bug testing, I'll probably hand off builds of the mod to them to bug test before I release new versions.

I've had some rather unfortunate experiences working with teams in the past, so I suppose I'll lay a few ground rules for those interested:
    - By far the most common issue that came up was people simply disappearing without so much as a word. If someone expects to vanish, some warning ahead of time would be nice to find a replacement.
    - Communication is also important. I feel it should be relatively easy to contact a team member whenever I would like. It shouldn't take two weeks to get a response.
    - Whenever work is done, it should be stated to me and other team members what exactly was done. I'll likely have a shared text file where you will list what changes have been made. For example, if you changed stats of a unit, make a note about in the file. This is pretty important, especially if multiple people are working with the same files. We don't want files overwriting each other and everyone losing work they did.
    - Please, actually have the skills you are applying for. Good intentions are fine and all, but saying you can put units in the game and then you actually can't does not help.
    - I tend to work at an extremely break neck pace, though I'm willing to slow things down a bit. Regardless, I want to keep a consistent pace. If things are not getting done on at least a weekly basis, I'll just take things into my own hands again.

Assuming this does not work out and I can't find reliable team members then in the worse case scenario I'll just resume on my own as I have these last few years.
    Last edited by UndyingNephalim; December 21, 2014 at 11:16 PM.

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Default Re: Recruiting Team Members for HTW

I would love to help you out, but like I mentioned before, I need to see how my school schedule works out for the Spring.

Last thing I want to do is commit and then have to leave, again.

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    So then, what is it I need?
    - 1 to 3 people who know how all of the various text files work. These will mainly be (but are not limited to): battle_models.modeldb, export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_mount.txt, export_descr_buildings.txt, and campaign_script.txt.
    1) I have worked with the export_descr_unit.txt, export_descr_mount.txt, export_descr_buildings.txt.
    2) But I have done vary little with these other ones. battle_models.modeldb, campaign_script.txt. So I don't know the ins and outs for them.
    I know several of the other Text files. So they are purity easy. I'm a quick learner. Telling me how to do some thing ones. And I should be able to do it again from then on.

- At least one person familiar with memory editing. In order to complete the mod I will need to increase the unit limit, the mount limit, and the building limit. I would also like to increase the faction limit, as there are more NPC's I'd like to include.
    I can't help you there. Even if you tot me how to work it. Programing is a little beyond me.

- A member that knows how the campaign map and all of it's associated map files work. While the map is largely complete for the main game, the expansions will all be needing maps. I'll probably lay out the basic foundation for the campaign maps and then hand them off.
    I've looked a little at the tutorials for this. It seams purity simple. Ones you know what you are doing. But I can't help you here until I take dedicated time to thoroughly go through those tutorials. But I recommend that 3 people Go through the Newly created map. And do touch ups. One at a time to create detailed map. Some times if just one person does It. It can come out bland. So this could be a good Idea to have other tweak it.

- As far as balancing goes, I'll give general guidelines as to what roles I'd like the units I create to fit into for the team member(s) responsible, and then let the community decide if they are too powerful, too weak, should serve a different role, etc. In this regard the mod will become more of a community driven affair, as balancing everything is obviously not one of my skills.
    Sounds good to me. But I think you should still have final say on the matter.

- The community seems to be doing a pretty good job bug testing, I'll probably hand off builds of the mod to them to bug test before I release new versions.
    This is also a good idea. But just like now. There will probably be some bugs that we can not fix with out your Help Neph.

I've had some rather unfortunate experiences working with teams in the past, so I suppose I'll lay a few ground rules for those interested:
    - By far the most common issue that came up was people simply disappearing without so much as a word. If someone expects to vanish, some warning ahead of time would be nice to find a replacement.
    - Communication is also important. I feel it should be relatively easy to contact a team member whenever I would like. It shouldn't take two weeks to get a response.
    - Whenever work is done, it should be stated to me and other team members what exactly was done. I'll likely have a shared text file where you will list what changes have been made. For example, if you changed stats of a unit, make a note about in the file. This is pretty important, especially if multiple people are working with the same files. We don't want files overwriting each other and everyone losing work they did.
    - Please, actually have the skills you are applying for. Good intentions are fine and all, but saying you can put units in the game and then you actually can't does not help.
    - I tend to work at an extremely break neck pace, though I'm willing to slow things down a bit. Regardless, I want to keep a consistent pace. If things are not getting done on at least a weekly basis, I'll just take things into my own hands again.
    I feel I try to do these Requirements any ways. So I'm glad I fit the bill. At least for those.
    Thank you for having these Requirements. Other wise this could/would be a big pain some times to be on such a team.

Apani's Avatar Senator

I'd be glad to help out. I can do point one (my balancement submod requires extensive editing of all text files you mentioned except for campaign_script, but I can learn how to use that one too) and three (I've worked on overhauling a campaign map in the past; albeit my knowledges are a bit rusty, I should be able to resume with no problems).
    The main issue would be timing zones, I live in Europe and you in America, so we can only have one exchange per day.

I can help with the campaign_script and theexport_descr_buildings.txt, but my schedule might not be as free as you want it to be but I would love to help if I can , also same problem as Apani I'm in Europe so time zones may be a slight problem :/

SirMark9's Avatar Tiro

I guess while everyone volunteers for the frontlines, I'll continue my efforts with the Community Patches and keeping stuff organized on the boards. Of course, this is a more laid back approach and generally the Community Patches gets updated monthly unless there's a hot issue at hand. I also tend to work in heavy, productive bursts and then go back to hibernating for a time.

All I know is export_desc_unit.txt, export_desc_buildings.txt, and a little of campaign_script.txt. I have started small progress on my variant of balancing using vanilla HTW stats as a baseline, but am not certain if these small tweaks will be enough in the long run. There is also the lack of detailed feedback about these changes, so it is difficult to know if balance is improving.

If I'm needed on the main team, just let me know so I can refocus my efforts. The only responsibilities I have is just university work when the Spring semester starts up again as I do not work or have much of a social life.
    Hibernation State: Playing Nintendo games and working on personal projects.

I'm continuing my efforts for the cutscenes for Hyrule Historia. If you've read my last post on my Cinematics thread, I'm using Neph's resources, but I'm updating effects, lighting and animation to a more professional level.

Decanus

Im not doing anything at all XD

mcloud's Avatar Civis

I plan to start learning code next year so I can hopefully help with the memory editing when I become more accustomed to coding. It would probably be next summer before I would have time to actually dedicate most of my time though. Still going to school and I'm working part time.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    "You had thought you won, but your mind failed to realize that everything that happened was my plan to begin with. I had let you win all those inconsequential battles since they never affected the outcome. The servants that fell to your blade were nothing but pawns, and now that you life is about to end by my blade you will realize how hopeless the cause you fought for was and how meaningless your life and your comrade's lives were." --mcloud

Citizen

Does anybody know what type of programming language is needed for memory editing? I have extensive knowledge in C programming, so if the code is procedural in nature, I can probably figure out how the code works pretty quickly.

From what i have read about it, looks like its C++, but whether that is for all games i dont know

Citizen

Hmm... C++ isn't too different from C, so I should be able to figure it out pretty quickly

I'll definitely have to take a look at it.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Does anybody know what type of programming language is needed for memory editing? I have extensive knowledge in C programming, so if the code is procedural in nature, I can probably figure out how the code works pretty quickly.
    I was under the impression it's all hexidecimal, but I know little about it at the moment.

Citizen

Ah, then it WILL take me a while to get it, but I think that I can do it.

I've been looking around for the thread about the memory editing, but I can't seem to find it.

Does anybody happen to have a link to the thread?

EDIT: After Christmas, I'll be more than happy to begin bug-hunting, though some community members seem to be on top of that, already
    Last edited by The Holy Pilgrim; December 23, 2014 at 01:58 PM.

Apani's Avatar Senator

Here it is, luckily Jakeford keeps it in his signature: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...Memory-Editing

Citizen

Thanks, Apani!

+rep

Have you made any decisions about who will be on the final team

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by tedster1995 View Post
    Have you made any decisions about who will be on the final team
    Can I clone Holy Pilgrim and myself?

Naw what I'm thinking of doing is setting up a shared folder on drop box with the mod and it's expansions. I'll finish up models and whatnot and put them in the folder and then let the community do what they feel is best as far as stats and whatnot. I'm really just worried that managing several people will cut into more time I could spend getting things done.

Citizen

Can I clone Holy Pilgrim and myself?
    *GASP* Can one clone could be half-Neph, half-bearpig and the other half-manNeph, and half-pig!? Please!

Naw what I'm thinking of doing is setting up a shared folder on drop box with the mod and it's expansions. I'll finish up models and whatnot and put them in the folder and then let the community do what they feel is best as far as stats and whatnot. I'm really just worried that managing several people will cut into more time I could spend getting things done.
    Also, that sounds like a neat idea about letting the community do what they need to with the unit stats and models. Seems like it could go pretty quick, especially with so many helpful members in this sub-forum. Can't wait to see how this works out!

As for unit stats, Apani really seems to have some great ideas for unit recruitment and stats. Perhaps he can lead that part of the project?

I'll definitely try to help where possible with whatever needs help with. I can't wait to get back to some serious modding!

Patrician Artifex

Also, that sounds like a neat idea about letting the community do what they need to with the unit stats and models. Seems like it could go pretty quick, especially with so many helpful members in this sub-forum. Can't wait to see how this works out!
    My general fear with the community idea is that different groups will form around different ideas and things will end up being disorganized. We've already had quite a few separate balance mods that each do different things. People separating into factions over submods and different ideas caused a few people to rage quit these forums in the past. I suppose I could view that as weeding out people that don't work well with other people though?

As for unit stats, Apani really seems to have some great ideas for unit recruitment and stats. Perhaps he can lead that part of the project?
    He is more than welcome to. It's looking like this will probably end being a "whoever steps up and gets the community's favor" sort of deal.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast