Thread: Question about Rome...

Default Question about Rome...

... but don't kill me, please! I tried looking around but I could find no answer. Since the mod is set around the early 500's BC, why isn't Rome in the game? Since the start date is 514BC, just 6 years later does Rome throw out Tarquin Superbus. By then, the city itself was as important and large to Italy at the time as what Athens was it Greece. It had developed itself culturally, economically and militarily up to a point where it became a major power in Italy.

Again, I ask in the nicest way possible, as I understand that it might be a conscious decision the mod has made in their vision of what Hegemonia is to be, and I in no way mean to be rude or to look down upon it.

I know that if Rome was to be included, the game would totally change in scope, so I was just wondering...

Paul d's Avatar Praepositus

Default Re: Question about Rome...

yeah, you should at least include the Tarqiuns

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

It is not included because in the 5th century Rome was a nobody it would achieve any sucess until after our time period.

Plus theres the fact that Rome is in practicallly every mod under the sun
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Well the focus of the game is Greece- we put the Etruscans in the game to add something to Italy. We don't really have any factions to spare from Greece to put in Rome as a faction. I would contest the point however that Rome was a major power in Italy by 514, for the following reasons:

The last tyrant was thrown out in 508 BC, not 520 BC, 6 years after 514 BC. The mod starts in 512 BC, even closer to the revolution, but remember that with 4 turns per year it would still be 16 turns away, alot happens in that time. They would have to be an emergent faction to be a faction in our mod.

After it revolted against Superbus, the Etruscans were not pleased. There are several accounts as to what happened.

1. It was only the offering of some large number of maidens which kept Lars Porsena from decimating the city (Oxford Classical History's version).

2. Lars Porsena abandoned the siege because of the bravery of the defenders. That was written by Livy- a completely unbiased source (right....). It is possible that was true to a certain extent provided they remained pretty underheel economically (again, not a dominate power's characteristics).

3. Lars Porsena did capture the city and its omitted from accounts by Roman historians on account of the Senate who wanted an unbroken line between them and the revolt. In that case Lars Porsena certainly did not restore the King of Roma, but probably ruled the city by himself (yeah that one comes from wikipedia... a stretch perhaps).

In any case the Romans would have been on the verge of non-existence for the next several decades as they rebuilt from a vastly taxing siege on their small city. Remember that a siege destroys several years of farming output, but more importantly all the olives and other trees, which take a decade to really rebound. Cities like Athens only really managed such sieges because of vast treasuries- and a city like Rome probably wasn't sitting on the Delian Treasury. In the period our mod focuses on the Rome of the kings had probably regressed almost to what it had been before- loosely associated villages. That we give it two units in our mod therefore is probably even a bit of a stretch.

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

Racer X's Avatar Ordinarius

Plus theres the fact that Rome is in practicallly every mod under the sun
    And this is one of the main reasons why this is the mod I'm most looking forward to... screw Romans.

in the mod, superbus tarquinus is a general of the etruscans. he commands the settlement "roma", have "king of Roma" as anciliary. they are a big rebel army composed of roman hoplites in latium and command by a general Brutus (Junius Brutus).
    Hegemonia's historian, coder, skinner, 2D work... and all the rest too !!

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Question answered thread closed

-SoR-

Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone