Thread: Just obtained Nappy!

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Just obtained Nappy!

I refused to buy Napoleon on protest for Empire and how it was never fixed. First time I ever refused a TW game. Sure CA didn`t care, but I had to make a point.

Well, now I bought a graphics card and had a choice of 3 free games to choose from and Nappy was one of those I decided to choose (heck, the choice was not that great). Hopefully, it will be a better experience than either Empire or Rome 2 and will be more in line to Shogun 2.

Ironic how it in the end ended up on my collection for free.
    We shall see.

Default Re: Just obtained Nappy!

Congratulations on the purchase.

If you like battles and multiplayer, Napoleon is definitely going to be interesting. The details and visuals are quite rather amazing, perhaps the best in the series so far in some regards. You'll probably enjoy the campaign too - although limited in its scope, it has some neat mechanics and characters that you easily grow fond of. Well, enjoy!
    Campaign modder for Ancient Empires

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

and we have some good mods here too.

I often lurk the Rome 2 forum just to get a good laugh sometime and I see your posts many times. I have to agree with your criticism of CA completely but trust me, NTW is the most stable, bug free release along with S2TW that the warscape engine can offer. it is decently accurate even for vanilla, and yes square formation will be blocked if cav charges through your line (I assume this is the first concern for somebody that comes from empire).
    Of course you dont want to play vanilla even if it is polished. You want to try NTW3, LME4 with my mod Realism Core or Bran's, you may try Masters of Europe for maximum accuracy with historical uniforms. Try one and see which suits you best. This is a great title although limited in scope.

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Well I`ve had a bit of a run on it. It certainly feels a lot more polished than Empire ( which I expected anyway) and tighter, much like Shogun 2. So in that regards it does feel a lot nicer.

My few ship battles are very nice and I even liked the picture in picture (which was a surprise), although I soon disabled it anyway.

Ships explode far too frequently though and while it`s nice at first, it fast loses its spice after the 3rd ship explodes like a nuke in one battle! CA really must learn that less is more. 1 explosion every 4 -5 battles would`ve done me. Will need a Mod to fix that.

Land battles are very nice and run well, but enemy artillery gets a bit all over the place, especially when around rivers and, I`m sorry to say, seem invulnerable when moving or routing, like in Empire.
    I haven`t had a siege yet, I doubt I will be happy with it. So I will probably autoresolve after I see the spidermen.

Diplomacy has been very reasonable so far, no silly demands and accepting reasonable counter offers. I enjoy using the Agents and the whole 18th century vibe and it actually feels more realistic and `authentic` than Rome 2 with it`s fantasy very un-Rome ethos.

Altogether it is better, but, yea, will need some mods on it. It`s certainly better than Rome 2 though.

Patrician Artifex

For me NTW is one of the best. The pace in battle is better: you can see the guys reload, fire, you can see them fight hand to hand... compared to the big "blob" of Rome 2 where you can really see what is happening in a battle.
    Artillery is powerfull and tough, but it is easily solved by some mod that makes them a little more vulnerable.

The naval battles are much better than Shogun, or Rome (but this is easy!), and here again some mods can correct the biggest flaws (like too many explosion). When you manoeuver your ships, it's a little hard at first (especially with large battles), but you see you are doing something and understand the process. While with Rome 2, ships just "explode" and sink and you don't have the feeling you are controlling them.

But what is very nice, especially with some mods (like Masters of Europe) is you can get accurate armies and uniforms, with all units speaking their native language (a lot more than in ETW, where the units differs mostly from their colours, but sometimes look to much alike). This gives a very nice immersion feeling

Yes, NTW is far better than Rome 2 and it can be modded to approach realistically to historical events, uniforms and units.
    About naval battles I recommend LME 4 with Sirlion's Core Mod and you will see longer confrontations, slower ships, fewer explosions and sinks. Trust me, is a great mod and would be better if we could have historically uniforms.
    Cheers

Sir Furlong's Avatar Ordinarius

Yeah I agree NTW is definitely looks and feels more polished than ETW in almost every way, the only disappointing part for me is the map, it would have been nice to have had at least the middle east and north Africa.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    C.S. Lewis

Yeah had Napoleon in my library for ages but never tried it, played allot of empire, download is done in a few minutes, gonna have my first try!

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    I refused to buy Napoleon on protest for Empire and how it was never fixed. First time I ever refused a TW game. Sure CA didn`t care, but I had to make a point.
    Quite funny as it's the same reason why I haven't bought SH2, RT2, and I will not buy Attila. The way CA refused to fix square and column notwithstanding their own announcements led me to save lot of money. Still the best game though, with the right people and mod it's the best and most immersive historical MP experience so far.

Jac_PS's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Well I`ve had a bit of a run on it. It certainly feels a lot more polished than Empire ( which I expected anyway) and tighter, much like Shogun 2. So in that regards it does feel a lot nicer.

My few ship battles are very nice and I even liked the picture in picture (which was a surprise), although I soon disabled it anyway.

Ships explode far too frequently though and while it`s nice at first, it fast loses its spice after the 3rd ship explodes like a nuke in one battle! CA really must learn that less is more. 1 explosion every 4 -5 battles would`ve done me. Will need a Mod to fix that.

Land battles are very nice and run well, but enemy artillery gets a bit all over the place, especially when around rivers and, I`m sorry to say, seem invulnerable when moving or routing, like in Empire.
    I haven`t had a siege yet, I doubt I will be happy with it. So I will probably autoresolve after I see the spidermen.

Diplomacy has been very reasonable so far, no silly demands and accepting reasonable counter offers. I enjoy using the Agents and the whole 18th century vibe and it actually feels more realistic and `authentic` than Rome 2 with it`s fantasy very un-Rome ethos.

Altogether it is better, but, yea, will need some mods on it. It`s certainly better than Rome 2 though.
    Yes, Napoleon is one of the best titles, much better then Rome II indeed. Not to mention the awesome mods for it.

i recently bought nappy again, hadnt played in years, i immediately installed dmn with the bran ai.
    playing as uk with x2 unit size but normal 20 stack army sizes its the most fun ive had in a TW, naval battle are much better and far more realistic. just playing on N bai and H cai im finding a real challenge and even lost my first land battle due to overconfidence.
    Hope you enjoy as much as i do

It is probably the best TW game to date.

klesh's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by LEGIO_Desaix View Post
    Quite funny as it's the same reason why I haven't bought SH2, RT2, and I will not buy Attila.

I too, have not purchased any TW since Napoleon, but for me it was the failed promises of mod tools that never amounted to anything that was the final straw. I'm glad there are still a few of us old holdouts, making them pay with our wallets. Its been amusing to say the least to watch all these people buying increasingly bad TW games... prordering them to boot. Shogun turned out okay I guess, but I recall a lot of people disliking it at first too.
    Last edited by klesh; April 13, 2015 at 09:17 PM.
    Still playing Napoleon:TW

General Maximus's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

If you haven't played Shogun II mate, you are missing out on a great game. Not buying Rome II and Attila is justified, but Shogun II itself is the best polished and most complete Total War game to date, not to mention for the first time with an AI that actually works since Shogun and Medieval 1 TW back in the old days (those games had excellent AI).

Shogun II may very well be the last great TW game (and among the greatest, if not indeed THE greatest vanilla TW game) unless CA changes their policies and scrap that god-horrible engine named Warscape.
    Last edited by General Maximus; May 05, 2015 at 01:41 AM.
    सार्वभौम सम्राट चत्रवर्ती - भारतवर्ष
    स्वर्गपुत्र पीतसम्राट - चीन
    महाराजानाभ्याम महाराजा - पारसिक

Patrician Artifex

Yes, Shogun II works well. Too bad it is too focused on a specific area and period, and we lack basic material for full Napoleon settings mod