Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wrath of Sparta Out Now!

EmperorBatman999's Avatar I say, what, what?

Default Re: Wrath of Sparta Out Now!

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    If people are complaining that there is no variety of units in a period where hoplites were the default soldier (with a limited sprinkiling of psiloi, peltasts and light cavalry), I can't wait for the release of Ancient Sumer. Total War .
    Well, alternatively we could see special hoplite units hailing from specific cities that were known for breeding particularly good soldiers. For example, I was surprised to find that the Boiotians have neither the Theban Sacred Band or Thespian Hoplites. There were probably plenty of other cities across Greece who were known for their hoplites as well.

The map is beyond beautiful! Well crafted campaign map.

It could totally be the map for a Troy mod, or a Persian Invasion mod. So many possibilities.

In total i think the DLC is okay, but it's still the A.I. that amazes me. Athens was wiped out after 8 rounds (I played as Sparta), I also thought that you would have more problems with the diplomatic relationships after you take the capitals of the "bigger" enemies like Athen or Sparta.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

CA worked with the UK Naval Academy to create accurate ships for ETW.
    Why CA avoids tom ask for help from asociations like Koryvandes to create a game close to accurate??????????????????????????
    Persian amphibian Cavalry (or in modern terms Persian Marine Cavalry)

That is HOW you creat a DLC that you want to be payed FOR my dear CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Not by creating cloned units to cheat your customers with suposed new material!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

If only CA could give the same attention to DLC as to fixing the core game..
    Good going CA, you really must be proud of your hard work.....

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    http://www.raceinfo.no/temp/rome2%20blast.gif

=ANTiKES='s Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Saruman View Post
    The map is beyond beautiful! Well crafted campaign map.

It could totally be the map for a Troy mod, or a Persian Invasion mod. So many possibilities.
    I would play a Greco-Persian or Peloponnesian War mod all day long

did someone notice how they tried to solve the central grip of hoplon with the fact that everyone knows that hoplon did not have central grip? it is something awful, they...I do not know exactely what they did, they turned a bit arm, or shield: fact is that most of the times hoplites are carrying shields with hands and arms 5-10 cm from it and it is really ugly to see; and they have a twisted deformed arm far from human.
    They could add some special abilities, like Othysmos, they did not. They could slightly change hoplite fighting animations, they did not, it is usual individual duelling with people going out ranks inside enemy ranks to kill that guy. Shameless.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/andrew881thebest youtube channel dedicated to rome 2 machinimas and movie battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeOCm5MJJ14 battle in Germany from "Gladiator" movie remade

Obi Wan Asterix's Avatar IN MEDIO STAT VIRTUS
    Somewhere in a lost valley in the Italian Alps

Quote Originally Posted by Trasibulos View Post
    ok.

i've bought the wos dlc... with a lot of doubts... but anyway, it's a total war product... and it's been plus than ten years they stand by me, so, once again, i trusted them.

But for who, like me, expect since RTW (the first!) a Peloponnesian War focused campaign there was only a huge disappointment.

1) ok, we have to forget Sicily and Magna Graecia, it have been said...
    2) hoplite formation degenerate into chaos after half a minute of clashes
    3) why only four factions playable? Where is Persia? Where is Makedonia? Where is the democratic city-states of Argos (the second major power in peloponnesos)?
    4) political system (that should be very important at this time) is simply insgnificant for the main gameplay (should be more hystorical accurate if tribalism was changed with the government form)
    5) it's impossible to "feel the time", for who knows the sources, if i can take Argos (it's just an example) with an "immediate assault"! The most of the greek city states had walls. So Plateia, so Argos, so Mantineia, so Elis, so also Naupaktos (where are the Messenian Hoplites there?), so Potidea etc. etc. And the walls, without siege engines, means, for any attackers, years of siege... that was just the hystorical reality, you can't change this element!
    6) where is the "demographic element"? At the time of Peloponnesian War the armies were not so "large", because of the low levels of population (in RTW I you have to recruit one unit for turn and, also, you have to not erode too much the people of the cities, or you could find those without men to make an army! Just another thing: a decisive defeat, for example, should leave you really without defences... more exciting and hystorical accurate!)

anyway sorry for my really bad english.
    Despite your "bad English" which I think is not bad, you manage to make one of the few really worthwhile posts in this shambles of a thread. I am especially sad about the Argonauts and Corinth not being present, I was really hoping that the easiest thing in the world for CA to implement, another faction or two (it takes modders with experience a couple of minutes)... instead we get a fantasty Sparta with a fantasy alliance-mesh....

Good point about walls....Sparta has them and it shouldn't---

This era merited its own game, instead it feels like our friends at CA are letting their marketing and sales department design their games now
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Prefer to stay at home? Try Asterix's Megamamoth FM2010 Update
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

A handful of things:

Pretty sure Argos is in the game... just not playable, for what reason I couldn't tell you.

Secondly, Steam only shows hours played on actual games or major expansions... because of how the campaign packs fit into R2 and aren't standalone, it is possible every single review shows 0.0 hours simply because there is no separate hour-counter for some types of DLC. In fact, I found it odd I could write a review for WoS at all given that I don't think I could back when HatG came out; generally, you can write a review only on the base game.

Third, not being able to play as Persia is possibly one of the most inexplicable parts. Not in WoS, though: why not make Persia playable in the Grand Campaign when you buy WoS? I still, still am waiting for a desert DLC pack... Numidia, Persia, etc. I mean, even the Arabian factions have like a chariot unit and some neat-looking stuff to form a culture pack around.

Lastly, isn't Corinth just Korinthos (or however it is spelled?).

Hmm...I understand that they want to give Sokrates an own character, since he is a well known philosopher...but making him a dignitary doesn't quite fit.

He was a hoplite during the Peloponnesian War and it was said that he was quite brave and could endure hardship better than most others, which IMO makes him a pretty good champion, if he must be an own character.
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Quote Originally Posted by Obi Wan Asterix View Post
    I am especially sad about the Argonauts and Corinth not being present
    Corinth is actually playable, but the Argonauts have nothing to do with the city of Argos. They were called Argonauts, because their... transport ship was named Argos. It was a great ship, it KO 3 Harpies with a single ramming action!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnonMilwaukean View Post
    Third, not being able to play as Persia is possibly one of the most inexplicable parts. Not in WoS, though: why not make Persia playable in the Grand Campaign when you buy WoS? I still, still am waiting for a desert DLC pack... Numidia, Persia, etc. I mean, even the Arabian factions have like a chariot unit and some neat-looking stuff to form a culture pack around.
    Don't forget that the Achaemenid Persia has nothing to do with the faction of GC with the same name. In fact Persia in the Grand Campaign is a state that never existed, CA added it, because they couldn't balance an overextended Seleucid faction. Also, don't buy the Red Horse trailer stereotype, Persis was not a wasteland, quite the contrary, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew881thebest View Post
    totally wasted money, i have just played first and probably last battle, as Sparta. Enemy hoplites overpowered, i did sandwich attacking their rear and militia hoplites hold for hours killing many of my royal spartans...oh please God forgive them.
    Not to talk about ugly reskin, basically same models and textures with 1, i mean 1, new helm type. And oh...SParta with walls... hoplites keeping shields with central grip still but...a genius: they have deleted the grip! cause ehi, hoplons did not have central grip..yeah, but if you keep the central grip animation cause you are a lazy idiot, you should keep even the grip.
    Well, duh, most of the helm types were already made for R2TW. You got what you expected man.
    Under the Patronage of the Honorable Bolkonskij

Indulge yourself into discovering the race of the Turks that stormed the Oriental world and regained their honor from the despair of decay.
    The Expiation of Degeneracy-A Great Seljuks AAR at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=276748
    "By purple death I'm seized and fate supreme."- Julian the Apostate

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    Entitled. That about sums up these tapeworms.
    And actually it is quite a good DLC.
    Yes because being a dissatisfied fan makes you "entitled"...

For the life of me I will never understand corporate apologists.

jackwei's Avatar Primicerius

Will this DLC be enough though until Attila Total War is released?

Default Wrath of Sparta Out Now!

Quote Originally Posted by =ANTiKES= View Post
    I would play a Greco-Persian or Peloponnesian War mod all day long
    It will happen, sooner or later. This is a perfect scenario for modders work their wonders, and I guess that is what CA is intent; have our modders perfect their games.
    Last edited by Lord Saruman; December 18, 2014 at 08:24 PM.

Yes...there are lots of those...some even complain about how the units from the DLC didn't get ported to the Grand Campaign.

Why should they add the reskins/units, they added for a scenario in the fifth century BC to another scenario that starts in the third century?
    Prof's Mods (Attila Mods)
    Creator of Polemarchia: Total War
    Under the patronace of Epistolary Richard
    <- Now with Attila screens

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    Corinth is actually playable, but the Argonauts have nothing to do with the city of Argos. They were called Argonauts, because their... transport ship was named Argos. It was a great ship, it KO 3 Harpies with a single ramming action! Don't forget that the Achaemenid Persia has nothing to do with the faction of GC with the same name. In fact Persia in the Grand Campaign is a state that never existed, CA added it, because they couldn't balance an overextended Seleucid faction. Also, don't buy the Red Horse trailer stereotype, Persis was not a wasteland, quite the contrary, actually.
    I love TWC smarties just like the next guy Hibs, so I referred to them as Argonauts, I was just being poetic and not giving a hoot about using the correct form of Argives because I have over the past few weeks noticed no one knows what I am referring too.
    All are welcome to relax at Asterix's Campagnian Villa with its Vineyard and Scotchbarrel
    Progeny of the retired Great Acutulus (If you know who he is you have been at TWC too long) and wooer of fine wombs to spawn 21 curial whining snotslingers and be an absentee daddy to them

Longest Serving Staff Member of TWC under 3 Imperators** 1st Speaker of the House ** Original RTR Team Member (until 3.2) ** Knight of Saint John ** RNJ, Successors, & Punic Total War Team Member

TROM 3 Team - Founder of Ken no Jikan **** Back with a modding vengeance! Yes I will again promise to take on the work of 5 mods and dissapear!

legio_XX's Avatar Ordinarius

I gotta say my first play through as Athens while reading Tides of war. (perfect book for this DLC!) I only want Two things... A fixed Phalanx like everyone else.. and less BEES! BEES on EVERY SHILED! on every faction! BEES! man! BEES! Spartans? BEES! Athens? BEES! and you know what else? BEES!
    "ANY person,country or race who use's religion as a pretext to kill or conquer deserves neither Religion nore Name"

Leonidas480bc's Avatar Semisalis

I'm so glad i did not buy this. It took a lot of self control not to, as this is one of my favorite eras of history and cultures. You all do know that they altered the spartan meshes/skins when they removed the sandals on spartan 1 and 2.

Quote Originally Posted by legio_XX View Post
    I gotta say my first play through as Athens while reading Tides of war. (perfect book for this DLC!) I only want Two things... A fixed Phalanx like everyone else.. and less BEES! BEES on EVERY SHILED! on every faction! BEES! man! BEES! Spartans? BEES! Athens? BEES! and you know what else? BEES!
    You were saying Legio?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast