Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why Has the West Not Produced Any Major Religion?

Default Why Has the West Not Produced Any Major Religion?

It's really interesting that all the major religions throughout history were born in the East: Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Manichaeism, Mithraism, etc. I cannot think of any single major religion coming from the West, not counting Western pagan cults that were generic and local. Even during the Hellenistic era Greek theology had no lasting impact on the East; it was as if the whole Near East simply ignored the religious aspect of Hellenic culture.

Philosophy was thriving in the Graeco-Roman world, so why did it not produce a major creed? It seems like the West was comfortable with importing Eastern religious ideas and gods, like some aspects of Zoroastrianism and some gods like Mithra or even full religions like Manichaeism and Christianity.

Thoughts?

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Why Has the West Not Produced Any Major Religion?

It did, it was called Atheism.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

Individualistic philosophies have generally suited the western psyche better than religion (because sweeping generalizations are my thing). The exception being Christianity, an Eastern religion.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Praeses

Thats an interesting point.

Europe is just a peninsula of Asia, is that what you mean by "the East"? I'd note most of the religions on the list spring from the sp called "cradles of civilisation": the Nile, Mesopotamia, North India and China. The ones that don't (Mithraism, Zoroastrianism) are small ones.

So my answer would be Europe hasn't spawned a major religion like Christianity, Buddhism or Islam because it isn't a cradle of civilisation and hasn't delivered a wad of stories and behaviours for the future to misinterpret as a telegram from God.

I would say religions are complex social constructs, with associated stories, texts and performtive elements. I think many forms of Communism behave like a religion, aside from the minor detail of generally professing Atheism. They offers explanantions of the world, modes of behaviour, and followers often seem to experience the fervour that conventional religions seem to exploit so
    effectively. So can we count France/western Europe as having spawned an "anti-religion"?

I'd also note, Wiccan noncsense aside, European folk beliefs like cursing, "black magic", sexual magic and fertility magic (which were surely part of pre-Christian faiths like the Gallic and Teutonic mythoi) might also count as an anti-religion and shadow relgion as they have persisted alongside a dominant Christian faith that denies and suppressed them-often attributed to the Devil.

My third European anti-religion contender would be Western Libreral thought and the Scientific Method. Science has a priesthood (men in white coats), famous texts and sayings (E=MC2, right?), heretics (Tesla), Saints (Marie Curie) and popes (Edison).

Judaism is influenced by many surrounding religious traditions, likewise Islam and Christianity. Buddhism has been transformed (mangled?) too in its peregrinations: I doubt Gautama would recognise what the Dalai Lama says and does as his own teaching. I would say Judaism and Christianity have been heavily influenced by their journey through Europe.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Its a matter of a small sample size, I think. There just aren't very many major religions out there, so with only a handful of sources, its statistically quite likely the distribution will be equal.
    Say we have a theoretical scenario where there are ten major religions to be formed (which is stretching it with what I'd consider major, but that's besides the point), and ten different regions each with equal chances of sprouting a major religion, its mathematically speaking highly unlikely each region gets one religion. In fact its quite possible many regions end up with no major religion.

Its not just Europe that's under represented, its also Africa, China, the Eurasian steppe, both the Americas... Pretty much everywhere outside India and the Middle East really.
    The picture change if you throw ideologies like Confucianism or Communism into the mix, but not by much. Again, small sample size, uniform distribution unlikely.
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Its a matter of population. Till recently western Europe had few inhabitants. For example United Kingdom had only 1 million inhabitants in the year 1000 AD. The majority of the global population lived elsewhere not in western Europe. Western Europe was a primitive area, full of tribes that produced little civilization. They had religions of course but they were absorbed by Rome

Aymer de Valence's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Because we aren't idiots
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Comes Domesticorum

I would say that Protestant Christianity is a European religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    That's a brilliant point, the source may not be European but the interpretation - especially Puritanism - is distinctly so.
    But I would agree with earlier posts that the major religions roots only arise in the cradles of civilization. Other regions tend to put their own spin on it. Mormonism in the USA, Orthodoxy in Eastern Europe (and often in the case of the peasants in days gone by mixed with paganistic beliefs - wood elves etc.) for example.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Atheism is not a religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    Individualistic philosophies have generally suited the western psyche better than religion (because sweeping generalizations are my thing). The exception being Christianity, an Eastern religion.
    And yet the vast majority of Westerners have followed some form of religion and did not think twice before importing religions from the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Europe is just a peninsula of Asia, is that what you mean by "the East"? I'd note most of the religions on the list spring from the sp called "cradles of civilisation": the Nile, Mesopotamia, North India and China. The ones that don't (Mithraism, Zoroastrianism) are small ones.
    I think you have overlooked the Elamite and Jiroft civiliations in Iran that were as old as those in the aforementioned territories.

Mithraism was not a small religion, it spread all over the Roman Empire. The same could also be said of Zoroastrianism in the Persian Empire, at least during the Sassanian era.

So my answer would be Europe hasn't spawned a major religion like Christianity, Buddhism or Islam because it isn't a cradle of civilisation and hasn't delivered a wad of stories and behaviours for the future to misinterpret as a telegram from God.

I would say religions are complex social constructs, with associated stories, texts and performtive elements. I think many forms of Communism behave like a religion, aside from the minor detail of generally professing Atheism. They offers explanantions of the world, modes of behaviour, and followers often seem to experience the fervour that conventional religions seem to exploit so
    effectively. So can we count France/western Europe as having spawned an "anti-religion"?

I'd also note, Wiccan noncsense aside, European folk beliefs like cursing, "black magic", sexual magic and fertility magic (which were surely part of pre-Christian faiths like the Gallic and Teutonic mythoi) might also count as an anti-religion and shadow relgion as they have persisted alongside a dominant Christian faith that denies and suppressed them-often attributed to the Devil.

My third European anti-religion contender would be Western Libreral thought and the Scientific Method. Science has a priesthood (men in white coats), famous texts and sayings (E=MC2, right?), heretics (Tesla), Saints (Marie Curie) and popes (Edison).

Judaism is influenced by many surrounding religious traditions, likewise Islam and Christianity. Buddhism has been transformed (mangled?) too in its peregrinations: I doubt Gautama would recognise what the Dalai Lama says and does as his own teaching. I would say Judaism and Christianity have been heavily influenced by their journey through Europe.
    Interesting points there. Though I find it misleading to call science and Communism "anti-religions". Science is just a method of acquiring knowledge; its purpose is not about refuting religion, and its foundation is not based on an ultimate universal truth revealed by a supernatural entity. Communism also does not exist purely as an opposition to religion; it is an idea that aims at "improving" political, social, and economic life, and it is not based on an ultimate supernatural truth (which is the core of the vast majority of religions).

Quote Originally Posted by Aymer de Valence View Post
    Because we aren't idiots
    Says the fellow whose post lacks punctuation and whose signature invokes god and St. George.

Apparently Westerners are not "idiots", yet somehow they have found it fashionable to imitate the "idiots" in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Not sure if that's true, since Protestantism is just an offshoot of an Eastern religion.
    Last edited by Sharukinu; December 15, 2014 at 03:55 PM.

Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by Kartir View Post
    Not sure if that's true, since Protestantism is just an offshoot of an Eastern religion.
    I think to degrade it down to just an offshoot is not very accurate, especially when many historical religions have largely evolved from other regional influences. Islam would probably not have arisen if Christianity and Judaism weren't right next door, in the same way that Eastern religions worked their way into the Roman Empire or Roman religion spread to the barbarian lands they had conquered.

In any case, as far as Protestantism goes, it definitely seems to be a European religion, in that while they still pray to the Jewish god, the Jewish religion itself has little influence except for its more Puritanical elements. Protestantism reflects the northern European region in which it arose and became dominant much more than it does the Middle East where Christianity arose. This is visible both in the theology of Protestantism and its ethical base, but in its liturgical functions as well, which in their extreme don't even resemble Catholic Christianity, let alone Jewish and Eastern religions.

I mean, you have a point in saying that Christianity arose from the Middle East, but the way it was morphed in Europe and turned into Protestantism makes it much different than Eastern religions to an extent where it may as well be called a European religion. Furthermore it's a religion which was exported by Europeans to the rest of the world and embraced all over the globe.

Finally, if we put Christianity aside, the Greco-Roman religions were successfully spread throughout all of Europe and lasted until Christianity took over.

It's really interesting that all the major religions throughout history were born in the East: Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Manichaeism, Mithraism, etc. I cannot think of any single major religion coming from the West, not counting Western pagan cults that were generic and local. Even during the Hellenistic era Greek theology had no lasting impact on the East; it was as if the whole Near East simply ignored the religious aspect of Hellenic culture.

Philosophy was thriving in the Graeco-Roman world, so why did it not produce a major creed? It seems like the West was comfortable with importing Eastern religious ideas and gods, like some aspects of Zoroastrianism and some gods like Mithra or even full religions like Manichaeism and Christianity.

Thoughts?
    There was a graph (a world map, actually) floating around some time ago which showed local preferences for different types of deities. Apparently, people from harsh environments prefer severe, paternalistic, authoritarian (i.e. tyrannical) gods. This might help to explain why so many successful faiths and sects were devised in the Middle Eastern/Arabian deserts.
    That said, as pointed out before, Protestantism was created in Central Europe, and (Roman) Mithraism in the Roman Empire.
    I don't recall East and South East Asia having created many globally successful religions either (besides tweaking imported ones such as Buddhism), even though - like Europe - they have a long history of civilization. Hinduism is only a thing because India is so populous, and because Indians were able to weather the storms of Islam and Christianity (due to their numbers, geographical situation, and degree of civilization), albeit with heavy losses.

Oh yeah, and I forgot Mormonism and Scientology (though for the record, while both are obviously scams, the latter is much more sinister, so I don't wanna come off as "equating" them)...

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I agree, "the East" is a very vague concept, especially if it's used to refer to essentially all of Asia.

I know you're being a bit facetious here, but anyone who understands science as a kind of religion or even pseudo-religion is doing it wrong.

Even during the Hellenistic era Greek theology had no lasting impact on the East; it was as if the whole Near East simply ignored the religious aspect of Hellenic culture.

This is very wrong.Hellenic culture had a great impact on judaism.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

In many respects it is, and several Hellenic Philosophies in Greece highly promoted Atheism, and it was also prominent amongst Stoics in Rome as well. In earlier times, it was very much like a religion. And IMO it is still a religion in many respects.

I may be Christian, but I was Agnostic for about a decade. And I considered Atheism a religion.

I know you're being a bit facetious here, but anyone who understands science as a kind of religion or even pseudo-religion is doing it wrong.
    Exactly. Science isn't something to be "believed" in.

Praeses

We'd need to define what a religion is then. A system of thought that adresses questions of the nature of the world, human purpose and behaviour and ethical behaviour? I'd agree Atheism is not a religion but it is a religious idea.

Some forms of Hunduism at their most convoluted seem (and I may have misunderstood, only read English translations) suggest reality is illusory and the Gods do not truly exist. I would suggest they are still religious beliefs. If we examine all the religions on the list we'd find logical problems and contradictions (quite apart from the devout who might claim the "other" religions were not religions because they are false).

And yet the vast majority of Westerners have followed some form of religion and did not think twice before importing religions from the East.
    I think many Westeners did think twice before adopting Islam (fiercely resisted in some quarters), Christianity (persectuted by many Romans including some Emperors) and Judaism (ouch!). Magna Mater was banned in Rome for a while, and other "Orienal cultys that came to Rome were tr4eated with cautious reverence before being adopted.

Of course your basic point, that the West has imported lots of religious ideas from the Levant and points east, is undeniable.

I think you have overlooked the Elamite and Jiroft civiliations in Iran that were as old as those in the aforementioned territories.
    Look it was lazy of me but I'd include Elam in the broad sphere of Mesopotamian culture. I'd like to see more data on Jiroft, its not really widely accepted yet is it.

Mithraism was not a small religion, it spread all over the Roman Empire. The same could also be said of Zoroastrianism in the Persian Empire, at least during the Sassanian era.
    If we include religions with a great past then Hellenic/Roman polytheism was a major religion with sacred texts, multiple forms (from public official priesthoods to mystery cults), amazing temples, and festivals celebrated to this day (Olympic Games). I would argue various "Keltic" belief systems and their subsidiaries might also qualify.

Interesting points there. Though I find it misleading to call science and Communism "anti-religions". Science is just a method of acquiring knowledge; its purpose is not about refuting religion, and its foundation is not based on an ultimate universal truth revealed by a supernatural entity. Communism also does not exist purely as an opposition to religion; it is an idea that aims at "improving" political, social, and economic life, and it is not based on an ultimate supernatural truth (which is the core of the vast majority of religions).
    The definition "based on an ultimate universal truth revealed by a supernatural entity" is an interesting definition. As I mentioned I think there are forms of Hinduism and IIRC primitive Buddhism that do not meet that criteria (as in they deny universal truths or supernatural entities). So we have a problem with definitions, becauser I think they're both religions.

Says the fellow whose post lacks punctuation and whose signature invokes god and St. George.
    He doesn't speak for me! I'm an idiot and proud of it!

There are certain forms of Christianity in Europe that more closely resemble social clubs and government departments that religions. The Papacy looks more like a business empire than a religion to me. Its that problem of definitions again.

Gnosis is an interesting belief system. I think of it more as a moral cancer that infects reliions than as a religion in itself. Its suposed to have originated in Egypt IIRC, but I suspect its a Greek concept and practise.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

Science attempts universal answers. It has the sort of power structures we see in religion and it evokes fervent support and opposition. At the very least it wears the clothing of religion and walks in the same pathways.

I would include religion as a category of science rather than the other way round: science provides a more utile apporach to understanding reality at the moment, but in the past religions played the role of wisdom finders, keepers and dispensers.
    Last edited by Cyclops; December 15, 2014 at 06:32 PM.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Because we aren't idiots
    ^This.

Huge parts of the Planet used to be populated by peoples who had very much different views and understanding about most things Life than the now "major religions" . They have just been pretty much eradicated or pushed to the sidelines .
    "Sorry about that, son. But sometimes there's more to life than just livin'. Besides, you can't have a Kansas City Shuffle without a body."

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

And I considered Atheism a religion.
    It's a religion, then!

Because we aren't idiots
    Cry God for Harry, England and Saint George!

Not saying you're an idiot, but that's pretty idiotic and religious, don't you think?
    Last edited by Hobbes; December 15, 2014 at 07:04 PM.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

@OP: why are you so dismissive of the Greek pantheon of gods? Zeus was worshiped as far afield as Central Asia and the Iberian Peninsula in antiquity. Although the Romans absorbed the cults of foreign deities like a snowball rolling down a snowy mountain collects more snow, that doesn't change the fact that at the core was an original pantheon of gods. At the helm of that was Jupiter, the equivalent of Zeus, worshiped and observed throughout the Roman Empire. Before Christianity became the state religion in the 4th century AD, the Romans basically had a state religion with a high priest, the pontifex maximus, elected to perform the necessary rituals of appeasement to the gods and goddesses. This doesn't even include the large Celtic pantheon of deities, or the Germanic ones either. How do you not count those as Western religions when Celtic and Germanic peoples are part and parcel of what has become the West?

What makes the Greco-Roman religion any less significant than other dead religions, like Manichaeism, Tengriism, and the Olmec religion? If the Roman Empire hadn't adopted Christianity, then we would most likely see people worshiping Roman deities in the West, much like the Chinese do with their Chinese folk religion rooted in ancient and Imperial times. Also, you should add Taoism and Shinto to the list you made.

Samraat Mahendra Maurya's Avatar Campidoctor

Because we aren't idiots
    Guys! I think he was joking. You can tell by the Sig.

Lack of belief wasn't created in the Western World. And no, Athiesim isn't a belief, It's a lack of belief.

Exactly. Science isn't something to be "believed" in.
    It is. We base Science based on our Interpretation of the world and It works, according to our Subjective view of the world. We perceive a Subjective view of the world, Religion opens up the Objective reality of nature.

@OP, many religions existed in the west, such as Celtic, Iberian, Germanic, the list goes on with varying deities across varying tribes, we don't really know them as they were pushed aside first by the Roman Pantheon and later by Abrahamic faiths, a few left traces of their faith, most were eradicated by invaders
    Ich bin Kaiser von mauryan reiches

Senator

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast