Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hostages held in Sydney cafe, possible by Islamists

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: Hostages held in Sydney cafe, possible by Islamists

Quote Originally Posted by The_Hibernian View Post
    Well that doesn't make any sense at all. According to the wiki page, he's a Shia, as most Iranians are, but he wants an ISIS flag?! Even the craziest mujahedin knows that ISIS is a sunni, not a shia organization. Perhaps he wants a proper ISIS flag, so he can burn it, not wave it.
    Actually I think he may have plumbed new depths for the title of 'craziest mujahideen'. This article from a year ago shows he has no connection to any known Islamic authority, and indeed is ignorant of some of the basic elements of Islam: he adopted the name 'Haron', which is the Jewish spelling of the Arabic 'Harun'; he claims, contrary to all known sources including the Quran, that people who believe Jesus is the son of God are not Christians; he claims to be an expert in 'black magic'; and he is under the impression that the Australian and Iranian governments are engaged in various conspiracies against him which have included trying to frame him for murder.

So frankly, being a Shia and supporting ISIS seems entirely compatible with his particular brand of lunacy.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Turns out the suspect is an Islamic preacher who sent insulting letters to the families of fallen Australian soldiers in his spare time.

He is also a sex offender who is currently on bail after sexualy assaulting a women.

Citizen

Unsure exactly what has happened, the police have raided the building with flashbangs and gunfire and some hostages injured.

It seems this attack is almost identical to the Ottawa incident: a man with criminal history, tenuous link to Islam and a personal crisis goes postal in the name of ISIS without any actual connection to them. A lone wolf in other words.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; December 15, 2014 at 09:46 AM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

hey guys can i make really cool posts along the lines of "the religion of turning the other cheek strikes again" every time a christian kills someone somewhere? when are we going to start the deportations back to Galilee for all these cheek-turners?

Citizen

And its confirmed: the siege is over, the hostake taker is dead or under police custody.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Actually I think he may have plumbed new depths for the title of 'craziest mujahideen'. This article from a year ago shows he has no connection to any known Islamic authority, and indeed is ignorant of some of the basic elements of Islam: he adopted the name 'Haron', which is the Jewish spelling of the Arabic 'Harun'; he claims, contrary to all known sources including the Quran, that people who believe Jesus is the son of God are not Christians; he claims to be an expert in 'black magic'; and he is under the impression that the Australian and Iranian governments are engaged in various conspiracies against him which have included trying to frame him for murder.

So frankly, being a Shia and supporting ISIS seems entirely compatible with his particular brand of lunacy.
    So not the sharpest knife in the drawer, then? Or rather, a bent and crooked one. This guy is an absolute nutter.

The Alcotroll's Avatar Campidoctor
    The People's Democratic Republic of Lancashire.

If you want a case study on how to react to terrorism, this is it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-30479306

Hats off to you, Australia.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by The Alcotroll View Post
    If you want a case study on how to react to terrorism, this is it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-trending-30479306

Well that was nice. That's basically the goal of terrorism, to scare the crap out of everyone and turn us all into scurrying, terrified ants. Don't give the terrorists exactly what they want.

In this particular case, though, I'm not sure the guy holding hostages really had any sort of rational goal, considering how mentally disturbed he apparently is. His mind wasn't in the right place to begin with.

Two people reported dead - most likely the terrorist and a hostage. I've heard reports that it was the terrorist who fired the first shots; and that this prompted the assult. It is possible he killed a hostage, forcing the Police to respond.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman?

- John Ball (1381)

Davius's Avatar Senator

The usual suspects. Yep.

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Napoleonic Bonapartism View Post
    Two people reported dead - most likely the terrorist and a hostage. I've heard reports that it was the terrorist who fired the first shots; and that this prompted the assult. It is possible he killed a hostage, forcing the Police to respond.
    The Australian media is now reporting at least three dead (including the gunman) and four injured.

EDIT - But it's uncertain whether those three dead include hostages or police officers.
    Last edited by Niles Crane; December 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM.

Papay's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Davius View Post
    The usual suspects. Yep.
    http://news.yahoo.com/suspect-five-k...143538000.html

I guess he is not a muslim so we will just claim he was mentally ill or something like that. But if he is a muslim then the all things change. He is a terrorist and its the fault of Islamic cult

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

The guy is a loner and a nut job. Long history of run-ins with the police, including on sex offences. The only person saying he is an Islamic Preacher is himself.

The man who held more than a dozen people hostage, placing Sydney's CBD into lockdown is no stranger to the NSW police or the judiciary.

Self-described cleric, Man Haron Monis, 50, first came to attention of police when he penned poisonous letters to the family of dead Australian soldiers seven years ago.

Last year he was charged with being an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife and mother of two.

Most recently, he was charged with more than 50 allegations of indecent and sexual assault relating to time allegedly spent as a self-proclaimed "spiritual healer" who dealt with black magic at a premises in western Sydney more than a decade ago.

Monis, who has also gone by the names of Sheikh Haron and Mohammad Hassan Manteghi, was born in Iran and most recently has been living at Bexley North in Sydney's south.
    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/...15-127sxt.html

From the Police Commissioner's latest press conference:

Commissioner Scipione said highly trained police made the decision to enter the Lindt Chocolat Cafe in the early hours of Tuesday morning to save lives after they heard gunshots ring out inside the cafe.

"They made the call because they believed that at that time, that if they didn't enter, there would have been many more lives lost," he said.

"I think events that were unfolding inside the premises led them to the belief that now was the time to actually deploy, and they did.

"At this stage I understand there was a number of gunshots that were heard, which caused officers to move straight to a what we call an EA, an emergency action plan, and that caused them to enter."
    http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/lindt-cafe...15-127suz.html
    Last edited by Dr Zoidberg; December 15, 2014 at 01:44 PM.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Arian's Avatar Civis

WTF!

This is shame for us.he was sick.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Last year he was charged with being an accessory to the murder of his ex-wife and mother of two.
    Wat.

How was he out and about and able to get ahold of a gun?
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Border Patrol View Post
    Wat.

How was he out and about and able to get ahold of a gun?
    That's a damn good question. Hopefully someone will ask the police something similar.

EDIT: So it appears he was out on bail for the accessory charge. Still doesn't answer how he was able to obtain a firearm.

I suspect it will turn out it was acquired illegally.
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

^ Probably the same way Americans with criminal convictions get guns.

Okay, three dead including hostages, a man and a woman, both aged in about their 30s. From the sounds of things it ended up being a bit of a firefight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alcotroll View Post

If we could give Australia some rep......
    Absolutley Barking, Mudpit Mutt Former Patron: Garbarsardar

"Out of the crooked tree of humanity,no straight thing can be made." Immanuel Kant
    "Oh Yeah? What about a cricket bat? That's pretty straight. Just off the top of my head..." Al Murray, Pub Landlord.

I agree entirely with the author's sentiments.

When I chanced to walk through Martin Place a little after 11am on Monday, I saw the police clustered closely around the Lindt Cafe. I saw the police cordon as I stood among some hundreds of onlookers.

The police evidently had the situation in hand. The crowd was curious, but might as well have been watching a busker for all the tension in the air. Some onlookers snapped photos. Some left as others arrived. The scene was perfectly calm.

It was only when I turned on the TV an hour or so later that I realised the magnitude of our dimwittedness. We were supposed to be terrified.

The Prime Minister led in shaping our responses. He called a press conference but had no information to offer on the incident except that he had held a meeting to discuss it. He took only one question, to explain that he had no details but that the NSW police did.

"We don't yet know the motivation of the perpetrator," he said, then freely speculated that he was politically motivated. It was "very disturbing".

And if the family and friends of the hostages in the café were not already worried enough, Abbott announced that "I can think of almost nothing more distressing, more terrifying, than to be caught up in such a situation."

A stampede of politicians, State and federal, took to the airwaves to tell us how to feel. The incident was "horrifying" said Bill Shorten. Attempting a Churchillian gravitas, the opposition leader declared that "Australians are shocked, but won't be shaken."

But it was the State premiers who most clearly illustrated the paradox that governed political reaction: The further from the incident, the greater the distress.

Victoria's Daniel Andrews declared that it was a "terrifying incident". He gravely assured Victorians that the gunman in Martin Place posed no known threat to the people of Victoria.

Queensland's Premier Campbell Newman ordered "all available police out there" to "protect Queenslanders".

The reaction of most media for most of the day was to cheerlead the hype and to provide a ready platform to any politician who wanted to insert himself into the event.

Meanwhile, in Sydney, public transport was rerouted, buildings kilometres away were shut down and school excursions throughout the city cancelled. In all, hundreds of thousands of Sydneysiders were affected.

Why do political activists turn to terrorism? Australia gave the world a lesson today.

They turn to terrorism to win attention, to cause fear, and to use that fear to produce an overreaction. That overreaction is the measure of their success.

Terrorism is a tool of the weak against the strong. It is designed to turn the enemy's strength against itself. One man showed how to get extraordinary attention and inflict serious disruption using only a gun and a Muslim prayer banner.

Successful terrorism is so rare in Australia that the overreaction is perhaps understandable. The police response seemed exactly right. But our political and media systems need to get better at measured reaction.

Abbott said on Monday evening that the incident had been "profoundly shocking". He added: "I think I can also commend the people of Sydney for the calmness with which they have reacted". With no help from the politicians.
    http://www.canberratimes.com.au/comm...15-127rih.html

Sounds like the SWAT teams tried waiting until the hostage taker got sleepy before moving in, but were forced into breaching early when he started executing hostages. They probably shouldn't have waited, but that's easy for me to say in retrospect.

Either way, looks like the Australians will be drastically cutting down on immigration. From what I've heard they were already talking about it before, and after this, its going to be a lot easier then usual to sell xenophobia to the public in addition to the more rational arguments on immigration policy.
    A humble equine consul in service to the people of Rome.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast