Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Eldorien's Serbian Unit Roster [New Units Preview 27/12/14]

Eldorien88's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Eldorien's Serbian Unit Roster [Preview]

So i was reworking some units after some resources i found during the medieval era of Serbian warriors and i made some changes.
    The most significant is the shields plus some other small things like equipment and weapons..
    Also i considered some of your opinions about small equipment changes instead of longswords etc...
    1st post updated with 2 line units, an Infatry and an Archer!

Some in game pics will follow later with the same units plus a Spearmen unit and mounted Archers of this version!
    Cheers!
    Last edited by Eldorien88; December 17, 2014 at 04:24 AM.
    "For Our Part.. We Dreamed of Something Great.."

They look great

1st post updated! Another pic of the Nobles Unit!

Also have in mind that the other units in the 1st post are already reworked and are not final, i will upload soon the finalised versions.

Edit: Finalised versions of Serbian Knights, Line infantry Swordsmen and Marksmen Updated in 1st post!
    Last edited by Eldorien88; December 27, 2014 at 01:07 PM.

i have a suggestion

maybe you should add 2 versions of ESUR
    the first is add additional unit in EDU, which is not savegame compatible
    the other one is only replace the existing skin units, which is savegame compatible

but that may make you work longer,
    it's all up to you

Default Re: Eldorien's Serbian Unit Roster [New Units Preview 27/12/14]

The work has been done already Ubracatervae and is almost ready to be implemented.
    This means that the units will be additional and also will replace the existing ones, as i mentioned in another post
    i need 14 free slots at least for my new units to kick in and i think this number is going to get bigger...
    Of course the game is not going to be save-compatible cause it will change all the 3 major files (battle_models, edu, edb)
    but it will be a nice start with a Greater Kingdom of Serbia ready and unified to make some Wars....
    Last edited by Eldorien88; December 27, 2014 at 08:32 PM.

wow, sounds good then
    because Serbia roster need power up

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Nice units. They really look beautiful.
    Only 2 comments:
    - some mail armors are blue. Not sure that they could give such color to them.
    - the 2 handed swordmen have a scabbard on their body side. In reality, it's not possible to keep a 2 handed sword on your body side due to its size and weight. Actually, it was kept on a horse or on the back (with the shield). May be the solution would be to replace the scabbard by a short sword or a dagger.

That's just my 2 cents. As I usually think: your work, your decision
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Yes the scabbard thing is something that troubled me a lot by the start of the specific unit,
    if you can remember the first pic of that unit was with the scabbard in the back just behind the shield,
    but later when i removed the longswords from the left and right side i also removed the back scabbard..
    Your point about this is already considered and i will change the scabbard very soon at its former place
    (on the back) cause it is as you say correctly, more appropriate place to be.

As for the blue mail, you must mean about the noble unit in the 1st pic of the post.
    Well, that is not supposed to represent a mail but a piece of armour or fabric..
    But opinions are always considered and i would like more people comments about it.

Thank you for commenting, it is very useful for me and much appretiated!

Blog Entries

Yes, that's the unit I mentionned. In that case, that's my mistake and don't take in account my comment about it
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Great units, but if i can suggest, remove the drop shadows on the shields, maybe a little bevel is better, btw can't wait to see them on the battlefield!

this unit is fantastic!but the most unhistorycal thing ever!! those gondor knights from lotr are more realistic! i doubt that romans could have something like this not to mention serbs!

Blog Entries

Eldorien88 is trying to improve the Serbian roster not the Roman one. Anyway, if you have sources showing how Serbian units looked like at that period, don't hesitate to share them.

Well, if my units had wings and horns in the heads wouldn't be more "gondor-like" as you say?
    Check out these pics, they represent the battle from kosovo

What i am trying to say is, it would be better if you could provide me (as already Lifthrasir said) with some sources/pics from that time for a general unit lets say,
    that would be more helpful in order to be more accurate historicaly..
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Eldorien88; December 30, 2014 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eldorien88 View Post
    Well, if my units had wings and horns in the heads wouldn't be more "gondor-like" as you say?
    Check out these pics, they represent the battle from kosovo

What i am trying to say is, it would be better if you could provide me (as already Lifthrasir said) with some sources/pics from that time for a general unit lets say,
    that would be more helpful in order to be more accurate historicaly..
    Thank you!
    Those pictures are artristic,i dont think that there is an medieval helmet with horns ever found in serbia.

https://www.google.hr/search?q=serbi...62%3B800%3B600

i think this is more realistic! just standard nothing gondor like,but i like your unit it is cool but if u want historycal acuracy then this is more fore you,whatso ever god luck,

have you seen those serbian units from tsardoms mod?
    Last edited by thekingsmen; January 02, 2015 at 10:01 AM.

As a matter of fact i think there is, check this one from a Serbian museum if i remeber correctly
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

And believe me there was one Serbian Knight who had one of these helms so don't be so hasty about it.
    As for the Tsardoms Serbs yes i ve seen their very good work but that doesn't mean that its the only historically accurate mod there is for Serbia.
    Its all about sources my friend and there arent many...

Edit: Yes just checked, his name was Lazar Hrebeljanović or (Lazar of Serbia) from the Nemanjic dynasty...
    Oh, and thanks for the link
    Last edited by Eldorien88; January 02, 2015 at 10:26 AM.

i think that helmet looks like a mamluk helmet.

I don't think so, but i can't recall for sure so in order to justify my point regarding horned helms in Serbia, i will give you 2 more pics.
    The coat of Arms of Prince Lazar:

From Hilandar Monastery (14th century)

+Marius+'s Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by eldorien88 View Post
    As a matter of fact i think there is, check this one from a Serbian museum if i remeber correctly

And believe me there was one Serbian Knight who had one of these helms so don't be so hasty about it.
    As for the Tsardoms Serbs yes i ve seen their very good work but that doesn't mean that its the only historically accurate mod there is for Serbia.
    Its all about sources my friend and there arent many...

Edit: Yes just checked, his name was Lazar Hrebeljanović or (Lazar of Serbia) from the Nemanjic dynasty...
    Oh, and thanks for the link

I don't think it was ever confirmed as Lazar's own helmet, but it is a solid evidence of people wearing horns on their helmets
    Also, that is a late medieval (14-15th century) period helmet and your argument of showing a couple of heraldic elements on noble family coat of arms does not really justify uniforming entire units of infantry with elite gear in the middle ages

Your troops look amazing nonetheless,
    Congrats on having your thread sticky'ed

Quote Originally Posted by Marius Marich View Post
    I don't think it was ever confirmed as Lazar's own helmet, but it is a solid evidence of people wearing horns on their helmets
    Also, that is a late medieval (14-15th century) period helmet and your argument of showing a couple of heraldic elements on noble family coat of arms does not really justify uniforming entire units of infantry with elite gear in the middle ages

Your troops look amazing nonetheless,
    Congrats on having your thread sticky'ed
    Thats what the sources say anyways..
    Regarding the 2nd, i wasn't trying to justifiy the elite gear of my units but as i said before, Lazar's Helmet.

Also as i have stated in the 1st post :

"
    The units presented are not finalised and will be continuously modified in order to be more accurate and approach in the best way the current medieval era."

Thank you very much for your kind words really appreciated!

Do you have the whole roster planned out?
    Would love to see what sort of units your Serbian army would consist of.

Do you have any of the more "normal" units ready yet? The ones you've shown so far, while very pretty, are all very heavily armored for the time period SSHIP takes place in.
    From my understanding the general composition of the Serbian army at the time were;

Cavalry: Nobles as heavily armored horse archers (like the Georgian Generals already in the mod) and Light lancers (possibly armed with some javelins too).
    Infantry: Lightly armored, with large shields, armed with spears and javelins, some bows.

Regarding the Battle of Tara in 1150, Joannes Kinnamos talks about Hoplites (i.e Heavy Infantry) in the Serbian lines, indicating both that such existed - and also that they would've been quite rare.

The spear and javelin are by far the most predominant weapons used.
    Swords, when used, would often be of a single-edged, curved saber-like style, like the one this guy is using:

Hit & Run and Ambush tactics appear to have been an important style of Serbian warfare at the time, mentioned by several Greek historians of the time like Kinnamos and Eustathius of Thessalonica.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast