Thread: Questions about Sasanian infantry in IB 2 and reality

Default Questions about Sasanian infantry in IB 2 and reality

Greetings, i'm a newcomer who wish to know the truth about the infamous Sasanian infantry or Paygan since IB 2: Flagellum Dei have portray these humble and insignificant band of reluctant peasants and herders a different manner which is totally different from the traditional description where they should armed with traditional wicker shield, spear and short sword. I was surprised when these fighting men armed in a Roman fashion: ridge helmet, mail hauberk, spear, Roman scutum, and long sword, although it was in early development period but i cannot resist to ask the question: why, when, where and how do they obtain such lavish arms and armor? Is it true these miserable people are nothing but a band of unpaid, untrained temporary conscripts who aid their mounted superiors during the siege, guarding baggage train and pillaging fallen enemies during the battle? If so i'd like to listen what is the evidence behind these claims? If not i would like to know why would the team portray these fighting men armed to the teeth? Is there any solid evidence that supports the team?

I've read the Roman authors books about the Sasanians which almost all of them of them looked down on the Sasanian infantry, but is it that terrible in reality? To make things worse there's no information on how the Sasanian government conduct the conscription, training, armament, combat pay, distribution of loot and service length in the early days of the Sasanian Empire. Although there are records from the Arabic source about the later period but the earlier period remained blank, but if anyone is willing to enlighten me with knowledge about the Sasanian infantry then i would appreciate the knowledge and wisdom for the rest of my life.

Thank you.

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Questions about Sasanian infantry in IB 2 and reality

Quote Originally Posted by Iulian Bashir View Post
    Greetings, i'm a newcomer who wish to know the truth about the infamous Sasanian infantry or Paygan since IB 2: Flagellum Dei have portray these humble and insignificant band of reluctant peasants and herders a different manner which is totally different from the traditional description where they should armed with traditional wicker shield, spear and short sword..

Thank you.
    hello Iulian Bashir
    I will post some pics of what I have done with some of the sassanid units later today.
    memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

Under the esteemed patronage of Elrond

midnite's Avatar Citizen

memory of Midnite, Pumpkin, Bear, Pip and Pepper -- 4/2/10, 5/24/10, 11/27/17, 11/11/18 and 1/15/19

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

It looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by midnite View Post
    Looks good, but i suggest you and your team should use the shields found in Dura Europos than using Osprey's anonymous shield. There's something wrong about the skirmishers, they carry cavalry shield and it sounds a little bit strange but i think the team will replace it with something crude and sturdy.

Here's something i believe you and your team might need it:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

naddum's Avatar Libertus

The helmet fr the armoured cavalry looks strange. Why not use one of the many known helmets?
    Eran ud Turan - recreating the Iranian, Indian, and Central Asian worlds of late antiquity:
    https://www.facebook.com/eranudturan

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by naddum View Post
    The helmet fr the armoured cavalry looks strange. Why not use one of the many known helmets?
    The armoured cav has since been replaced

midnite's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Iulian Bashir View Post
    Here's something i believe you and your team might need it:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Thank you I will have to take a look at it.