Thread: Argentina

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Argentina

Does anyone have any information about Argentina, places to see and places to avoid. It will be my first trip to South America, I will be staying in Argentina for 3 weeks, 2 weeks will be spent camping in the mountains but for 1 week I will be free to roam all of Argentina.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Default Re: Argentina

Depends what you're after. Mendoza is really nice, especially if you like wine. BA is a pretty interesting place and you can nip over to Colonia del Sacramento in Uruguay for a day trip if you want.

Citizen

Is there wine good? as a policy I generally stay away from South American wines.

I'm into everything, tours in the mornings and enjoying the night life at night

I'm just wondering if there are any must sees as this is my first trip to Argentina and most likely my last so I want to see everything that is important to see

Section Editor ES

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

The wine is excellent. Malbec and Cab Sauv are fantastic choices to try if you go to Mendoza. Seriously, you have to try a Malbec from Mendoza. I'd be amazed if you were disappointed. BA is good for nightlife, as is Rosario. Haven't been out late anywhere else in Argentina.

Claudius Gothicus's Avatar Petit Burgués

I'm from Argentina, Buenos Aires specifically. If you have the time come here, the very urban feel of Argentina is at Buenos Aires and it has some lovely places. Palermo, Recoleta and Puerto Madero are full of pleasant, forested parks to enjoy the hot afternoons. San Telmo and La Boca, which are typical tourist staples, have the traditional landmarks as well as some nice eating places. just be careful with the heat, during the summer months it gets particularly hot and humid around the Pampa areas. The night life is diverse, long lasting, abundant and rather chaotic (with little to non-existent restrictions or enforcement on public drinking and something else here and there). Public transportation is not doing really well lately but for a tourist with no time schedules or work constraints it's ok: you could visit the Tigre municipal area and hop around the lovely little delta islands or even get a ferry to visit Colonia del Sacramento (as Genius already suggested), which is an hour away by boat.

Food is cheap for someone with strong currency (our local peso has been devaluing and we've gone through half a decade of high inflation now), you can get most things at a local almacén or supermarket, cooking it yourself or just buying a ready-to-eat lunch. Regarding what can you actually expect in terms of food I would consult Allie's blog (updated every week by an american ex-pat living in BA, in some bars there's a lot of them I mean A LOT): http://pickupthefork.com/

Now safety: touristic areas in Mendoza, Patagonia or most of the Northwest region are rather safe, safer than most South American countries anyways, but you can still run into pickpockets or the occasional thief. As of now the "least safe" places in the country are located at the massive, mostly suburban and low-income areas, of: Cordoba City (in the Cuyo region), Buenos Aires southern neighborhoods (La Boca and San Telmo, both traditional and touristic, are close to some rather unpleasant areas that you want to avoid, like Constitución), the surrounding western and southern parts of the Metro area of the city have some dangerous places as well, but these are much more peripheral and you are not going to be there anyways. Rosario City is a different case altogether, it's one of the most beautiful cities around, located at the southern part of the Santa Fe Province and reportedly having some of the most beautiful women in the country (according to Rosarinos of course) it's an amicable city, nightlife there is good and the place lovely, but for some years now it has been dealing with a significantly strong drug problem, lots of drug related crimes, again this is mostly in the surrounding metro areas. Overall you are going to be fine, specially in smaller more traditional cities like the ones of the interior, Mendoza and the Andean region included.

Of course I'm missing a lot of info, if you have more questions of any nature regarding the country just post them.

PS: try to know your way around with some basic Spanish, the more educated urban dwellers manage English acceptably but we are far behind at the whole bilingual aspect, which is rather unfortunate.
    Last edited by Claudius Gothicus; December 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

I've hitch-hiked in Argentina this winter, but stayed really only in Mendoza. I wanted to go to Cordoba and Santa Fe, too, but wasn't able to. Anyways, the wine is awesome, it's a lovely city, with lots of squares and a large park, where you can see all the city and get a good view of the Andes. Stayed at a hostel which was only 80 pesos a night. Everything is cheap, you can also enjoy good beer (for my brazilian standards anyway) and the night life is fairly diverse. Made lots of friends, who wouldn't shut up about the World Cup . The city didn't seem dangerous at all to me. The surrounding area, on the other hand, isn't so calm. In the outskirts of San Martin I actually got a shotgun pointed at me for some misunderstanding, and the place seemed quite dangerous really. Couldn't get any ride on the road because people are too afraid of stopping there, so I went to a gas post 12 km up the road (the shotgun episode is related to the ride I got to there).

About the other parts of the country, truckers told me that San Luis is really dangerous, enough for them not stopping there for the night, and that the areas surrounding big cities are commom for robbing. Said that people throw stones at them at signals and stuff. Yet, on my way back, I slept on a tent in a truck stop, a few meters from the road. Don't know exactly the point, but we had already passed San Luis and were on our way to Zarate, near Buenos Aires. The other night we slept at a tent in a gas post in the outskirts of Zarate (where we got abandoned by the driver, but that's a whole other story), and it was alright too. Another really dangerous place is Paso de Los Libres, in the border with Brazil. I was told people get jumped in the bus station in broad daylight, and to avoid hanging around in the aduana area (the place near the bridge with the guards is safe, I guess). But I could be wrong, that's just what people told me. And, despite all this, it was a great trip and I got back safe and sound.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    I'm from Argentina, Buenos Aires specifically. If you have the time come here, the very urban feel of Argentina is at Buenos Aires and it has some lovely places. Palermo, Recoleta and Puerto Madero are full of pleasant, forested parks to enjoy the hot afternoons. San Telmo and La Boca, which are typical tourist staples, have the traditional landmarks as well as some nice eating places. just be careful with the heat, during the summer months it gets particularly hot and humid around the Pampa areas. The night life is diverse, long lasting, abundant and rather chaotic (with little to non-existent restrictions or enforcement on public drinking and something else here and there). Public transportation is not doing really well lately but for a tourist with no time schedules or work constraints it's ok: you could visit the Tigre municipal area and hop around the lovely little delta islands or even get a ferry to visit Colonia del Sacramento (as Genius already suggested), which is an hour away by boat.

Food is cheap for someone with strong currency (our local peso has been devaluing and we've gone through half a decade of high inflation now), you can get most things at a local almacén or supermarket, cooking it yourself or just buying a ready-to-eat lunch. Regarding what can you actually expect in terms of food I would consult Allie's blog (updated every week by an american ex-pat living in BA, in some bars there's a lot of them I mean A LOT): http://pickupthefork.com/

Now safety: touristic areas in Mendoza, Patagonia or most of the Northwest region are rather safe, safer than most South American countries anyways, but you can still run into pickpockets or the occasional thief. As of now the "least safe" places in the country are located at the massive, mostly suburban and low-income areas, of: Cordoba City (in the Cuyo region), Buenos Aires southern neighborhoods (La Boca and San Telmo, both traditional and touristic, are close to some rather unpleasant areas that you want to avoid, like Constitución), the surrounding western and southern parts of the Metro area of the city have some dangerous places as well, but these are much more peripheral and you are not going to be there anyways. Rosario City is a different case altogether, it's one of the most beautiful cities around, located at the southern part of the Santa Fe Province and reportedly having some of the most beautiful women in the country (according to Rosarinos of course) it's an amicable city, nightlife there is good and the place lovely, but for some years now it has been dealing with a significantly strong drug problem, lots of drug related crimes, again this is mostly in the surrounding metro areas. Overall you are going to be fine, specially in smaller more traditional cities like the ones of the interior, Mendoza and the Andean region included.

Of course I'm missing a lot of info, if you have more questions of any nature regarding the country just post them.

PS: try to know your way around with some basic Spanish, the more educated urban dwellers manage English acceptably but we are far behind at the whole bilingual aspect, which is rather unfortunate.
    The headquarters of the trip is going to be Buenos Aires, we do have plans to go to Cordoba but its dependent on the time and how we feel about driving 6 hours after coming back from the 22 hours bus ride from the campsite. I was told counterfeiting is a big issue in Argentina, when paying you should always pay the exact amount or you risk gaining all counterfeit money. If this is true than where can I trust if any and where should I avoid? Also we are thinking about renting a car while in Argentina, would you recommend that or should we take other means of transportation. I don't know Spanish but I'm hoping my Armenian will go far

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    I've hitch-hiked in Argentina this winter, but stayed really only in Mendoza. I wanted to go to Cordoba and Santa Fe, too, but wasn't able to. Anyways, the wine is awesome, it's a lovely city, with lots of squares and a large park, where you can see all the city and get a good view of the Andes. Stayed at a hostel which was only 80 pesos a night. Everything is cheap, you can also enjoy good beer (for my brazilian standards anyway) and the night life is fairly diverse. Made lots of friends, who wouldn't shut up about the World Cup . The city didn't seem dangerous at all to me. The surrounding area, on the other hand, isn't so calm. In the outskirts of San Martin I actually got a shotgun pointed at me for some misunderstanding, and the place seemed quite dangerous really. Couldn't get any ride on the road because people are too afraid of stopping there, so I went to a gas post 12 km up the road (the shotgun episode is related to the ride I got to there).

About the other parts of the country, truckers told me that San Luis is really dangerous, enough for them not stopping there for the night, and that the areas surrounding big cities are commom for robbing. Said that people throw stones at them at signals and stuff. Yet, on my way back, I slept on a tent in a truck stop, a few meters from the road. Don't know exactly the point, but we had already passed San Luis and were on our way to Zarate, near Buenos Aires. The other night we slept at a tent in a gas post in the outskirts of Zarate (where we got abandoned by the driver, but that's a whole other story), and it was alright too. Another really dangerous place is Paso de Los Libres, in the border with Brazil. I was told people get jumped in the bus station in broad daylight, and to avoid hanging around in the aduana area (the place near the bridge with the guards is safe, I guess). But I could be wrong, that's just what people told me. And, despite all this, it was a great trip and I got back safe and sound.
    I heard soccer is a hot topic issue, even more so when I am there since I am a Germany supporter

Its sounds like you went through hell, I don't think I could survive a trip like that.

Section Editor ES

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    The headquarters of the trip is going to be Buenos Aires, we do have plans to go to Cordoba but its dependent on the time and how we feel about driving 6 hours after coming back from the 22 hours bus ride from the campsite. I was told counterfeiting is a big issue in Argentina, when paying you should always pay the exact amount or you risk gaining all counterfeit money.
    Counterfeiting was problematic back in the mid nineties; since then the minting and banking regulations have improved, inflation has diminished the opportunity value of faking bills as well, with an annual inflation of almost 40% everyday transactions in cash (and this is a cash-culture society) will force you to carry around a few hundred pesos bills at all times. However do stick to your dollars/euros for as long as you can, and if you are feeling confident enough, try to exchange them in the "informal" market, hotel personnel could help you with that if you are staying at one. Cordoba is a nice city and has some beautiful sights, if you ask us Porteños however we'll feel very much obliged to tell you that "Cordoba" people are the obnoxious, provincial and self-centered equivalent of say, Texans?

If this is true than where can I trust if any and where should I avoid? Also we are thinking about renting a car while in Argentina, would you recommend that or should we take other means of transportation. I don't know Spanish but I'm hoping my Armenian will go far
    Renting a car seems like a good option, that if you are planning to travel around the country side and to Buenos Aires, back and forth. Of course, try to learn about the main highways and motorways of the area first, because even a simple Rosario - Buenos Aires trip could get messy. Most Bus companies are Ok, pretty about the same quality, there are not your typical Greyhound Buses: full of illegal workers, drunks and shady individuals... they're used by the majority of the population (especially young ones) most of the time. Via Bariloche and Plusmar are ok, I could name some more and most will arrive or depart from the Retiro station, just a few blocks from city centre.

I heard soccer is a hot topic issue, even more so when I am there since I am a Germany supporter
    Hehe, but there's no ill feelings toward ze mannschaft. Not only they pounded Brazil for the pleasure of millions of Argie fans but when they bested us there was no doubt about their overall superiority. The country is somewhat germanophile as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Macunaíma View Post
    Yeah, in many provinces the countryside, the rural areas, can be rather unpleasant or simply flat out dangerous... not only for tourists. I haven't been to San Luis in a very long time but Zarate and Campana are fairly industrial cities in north Buenos Aires, very close to the border with Entre Rios province, which is quite rural and has some large, mostly depopulated and swampy like areas.
    Last edited by Claudius Gothicus; December 22, 2014 at 01:16 PM.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Macunaíma's Avatar Campidoctor

Oh, and the people in the Zarate gas station didn't seem to really like hitch hikers. We stayed there for a whole day, waiting for the trucker to get some payment or something (the er who left us there), and everyone that entered the place would look at us like they wanted us not to be there. There was a point where I actually bought some more food so the workers there would stop looking at me like I was some alien or something. Didn't work much to be honest.

Citizen

I went and came back, interesting trip......I Went to

Bariloche: I found Bariloche to be tranquil and quite scenic, it was a wonderful small town surrounded my high mountains and many lakes. I camped in Bariloche for 2 weeks it was just wonderful, though watch out for the Sun. The cold air conceals the true strength of the Sun, I got burnt everywhere

Bueno Aires: Very big, 16 million people I believe. I got to see both the Armenian Community Centres and the Armenian church, for the most part we partied every night leaving the clubs around 7 or 8 am. I was able to also take a tour bus of the city, stopped off at Boca Stadium and the docks to eat.

Cordoba: Went to the Armenian sites during the day, and partied through the night

Montevideo: Great city, I love Armenia Street and that it is the best street in Uruguay . I went to all the Armenian sites, school, church, community centre.

Colonia: Only drove through it so I cant say much

Punta del Este: Really nice city, went to the casino made $400 and than went clubing with my friends

Piriapolis: Very nice village kind of reminds me of Greece, we had a house on the mountain with a great view of the village and the Atlantic ocean which was really pretty at night. I found the waves of the ocean to be quite strong but enjoyable, the ocean water is diluted from the river so the water wasn't salty.

I always felt safe everywhere I went, I was never worried! The trip was a great success, I think my next trip will be Australia

Section Editor ES

Glad you liked it and had a nice time while travelling around. Seems like you spent some days in Uruguay as well, lovely little country and rather tranquil overall, the beaches are very nice and much better than most of Argentina's ones. Bariloche and the other Andean towns are among the best (if not THE BEST) places to stay around in Argentina, the Chilean side being really nice as well.

Under the Patronage of
    Maximinus Thrax

Here i gain more information about Argentina ))))) Would like to visit.

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Gothicus View Post
    Glad you liked it and had a nice time while travelling around. Seems like you spent some days in Uruguay as well, lovely little country and rather tranquil overall, the beaches are very nice and much better than most of Argentina's ones. Bariloche and the other Andean towns are among the best (if not THE BEST) places to stay around in Argentina, the Chilean side being really nice as well.
    Yeah I liked Uruguay a lot, wish I had stayed there longer. I hope to come again in the future but we will have to see

Quote Originally Posted by VivienSm View Post
    Here i gain more information about Argentina ))))) Would like to visit.
    we need more info than that

Section Editor ES