Thread: Marrying Theron's Aunt

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Marrying Theron's Aunt

Helicent sat in her study and surveyed a map of the Seven Kingdoms. Ysilla had rejected yet another suitor, from House Umber this time, marking the dozenth or so eligible man she'd rejected. At age 29, her youth was fast running out and soon she'd be useless, so the burden falls to Helicent to match her: she will be matched, and she has proven ineffective at finding a match herself.

Within the North itself Helicent's position was already nigh unassailable: Winterfell, Karhold and the Dreadfort were all secure in a tripartite alliance, with the Mormonts being eager loyalists and Blazeworth also dependable. The Manderlys, though not bound by any form of marriage, were also on good terms with Helicent: one of their number held the restored Moat Cailin by her grace, after all. Ysilla's hand in marriage was not necessary to secure the North's allegiance.

Where to send her, then? Where in the Seven Kingdoms suited the North's ambitions and needs?

The Riverlands would be a squandered union: incapable of defending themselves and sure to be the battlefield of any future war, the North would not bleed for a people that cannot protect themselves.

The Westerlands had propositioned a union already, but it meant inflicting Ysilla with that dwarf. Even though the alliance would make an ally of the North's most recent - and powerful - foe, sisterly love made that option unpalatable, but not entirely impossible.

The Vale presented an interesting choice: it would bring security to the Norths eastern seaward approaches, provide a safe marshalling area if Northern armies ever had to venture south without crossing the Riverlands, and the Arryns had few ties to the rest of the realm, allowing them free reign in any conflict to select the most prudent side.

The Iron Isles represented another potential choice, securing the North's western seaward approaches, bringing the Seven Kingdoms' most powerful navy into an alliance, and the Greyjoys were equally as divorced from political ties.

The Crownlands, Reach, Stormlands and Dorne were much too far south to be of interest. Thus she was left with the Westerlands, Vale and Iron Isles. A servant went to summon Ysilla, it was time for a sisterly discussion.

[OOC: I had to do something with her eventually, and the North players won't enjoy isolation, so I'll monologue this out and pick someone to approach. ]

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Marrying Theron's Aunt

Ysilla appeared before long and took a seat, the two exchanged greetings before beginning their talk.

"You're thirty now, Ysilla, and still unwed. I've allowed you the freedom to select a suitor and you've rejected everyone you've met." said Helicent.

"None of them take my fancy, sister." said Ysilla back, defensively.

"One's going to have to: you will be wed before you're thirty one: you may select a husband or I will select one for you."

"Who are you to do this?!"

"The head of House Karstark, sister. It is my right to marry you to whom I please, but through sisterly love I allowed you freedom, freedom that you have abused too long."

Ysilla stood to leave.

"Sit, or I will have you seated."

She sat back down, anger and indignation replaced on her face with worry.

"Who.... who will I be married to then, Helicent?"

"We'll discuss it, there are three potential suitors I have picked. Aurane Arryn, brother to the Prince of the Vale; Tyrion Lannister, governor of Lannisport and relative of Lord Lannister; and finally Quellon Greyjoy, heir to the Iron Isles." said Helicent matter-of-factly.

A dwarf in a city, a pirate brute living on some disgusting islands, or the brother of a Prince living in a mountain castle. The choice seemed pretty simple to Ysilla.

"I would most rather Aurane." said Ysilla after a moment's silence.

"Then it will be set in motion. The proposal will be sent to the Eyrie." said Helicent, waving to the door to let Ysilla know she was dismissed.