Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This War of Mine

Default This War of Mine

Has any of you guys played this game yet? I hear it's quite a unique survival game where the player manages a group of civilians who are trying to survive during wartime, a dark Sims if you will. It seems the player's moral choices are heavily emphasized, since every action has a set of consequences.

Well?

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Default Re: This War of Mine

Best game I've played in 2014.

You get entirely invested in your characters almost instantly and the stuff you do will leave a lasting impact on you.

Really its one of those games you can't talk about though, because to talk about it would be to spoil what it has to offer.

Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    Best game I've played in 2014.
    Best game you say? I really hope my old laptop can handle it then.

Looks like a great game, I'm hoping to buy it reasonably soon, maybe in the new year after my exams are out of the way. The system requirements don't seem too high by the way Maximus, so hopefully you should be able to run it. I have the problem that my laptop isn't anywhere near good enough to play half the games I want to.

• Minimum:
      • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo 2.4, AMD Athlon(TM) X2 2.8 Ghz
      • Memory: 2 GB RAM
      • Graphics: Geforce 9600 GS, Radeon HD4000, Shader Model 3.0, 512 MB
      • DirectX: Version 9.0c
      • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

• Recommended:
      • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad 2.7 Ghz, AMD Phenom(TM)II X4 3 Ghz
      • Memory: 4 GB RAM
      • Graphics: GeForce GTX 260, Radeon HD 5770, 1024 MB, Shader Model 3.0
      • DirectX: Version 9.0c
      • Sound Card: DirectX compatible

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

So far seems very good, but it is so damn hard ^^

My PC is not particularly slow, but my really old Radeon HD4870 handles this perfectly fine. It's not very demanding.

I watched a couple of youtube videos and bought it. Not bad at all for 20 bucks. Day 17 was my furthest and i quit because my whole situation went to hell. Basically was going to have only two people left and one of them was on the brink of dying. Your situation can turn into a show really quick. I'm on my fourth game now and things are pretty different every time so far. I've started of with a different crew each time, and actually started off with 4 people for the first time on my current game.

With no save button(and i hope they keep it like that), like Mitch said your decisions are important. You screw up, things go bad really quickly and it isn't easy to recover.

And in game comment/question: Is coffee just completely worthless or what? No one ever gives much for it. I was listening to the radio and they were talking about how valuable coffee is. So, i grab three things of coffee on my next scavenge thinking i'd be able to trade it for something good. I couldn't even get a single tin of food for it! And every other time i've tried to trade it, same deal. Just worthless....

Also, they really need to enable you to have two scavengers. Or at least one that comes with and stands back that you can load up. Realistically, if i have four people in a house, there is no chance in hell i'd send one person out on their own. You'd send two so you could grab more stuff and help each other out. This could make things easier in some circumstances, but in those dangerous ones it could easily make it much more risky. I gotta say, it'd also be more interesting if you had to worry about threats during the day, and maybe you do and i haven't had one yet. Answering the door has become less interesting. The first time i had to answer the door i was leery of even opening it up.

Pretty interesting game so far. I lost Katia on night three cause I went into the church and went to an area I apparently wasn't allowed. I'm on day 7 now. Struggling along. Food seems to be the toughest thing to come by but with just two people it's hard lol.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    Pretty interesting game so far. I lost Katia on night three cause I went into the church and went to an area I apparently wasn't allowed. I'm on day 7 now. Struggling along. Food seems to be the toughest thing to come by but with just two people it's hard lol.
    Indeed. I remember one of my first playthroughs when I was really struggling I just killed off two of the 4 I didn't like thinking less mouths to feed. Really doesn't work that way haha..

I always send Bruno to do the dangerous missions. He's always whining about cigarettes and if i steal any to trade with he just smokes them. And yeah, i was having food troubles too. I don't know if i got lucky this go around(im on day 22) or it's because i stopped feeding people every time it said they were hungry. Up until this play through i was literally feeding people whenever they became hungry at all. I finally had to stop and remind myself that it was a survival game and it was ok for someone to go hungry for a day. I'd say two out of my first three games i ended up getting people killed because i was so desperate for food because my group was eating so much of it.

I am really bad at being stealthy though. I pretty much am in all video games. I have had to sink to doing a lot of murdering. Poor Pavle in this game, dude is a straight serial killer. It'll probably be over for him soon though as a knife fight went really bad. Another big thing that has saved me this go-around, i found a flak jacket which i had never found before. There were a lot of times where my people should have gotten hurt a lot worse than they did, and it only just failed and who knows Pavle might be dead without it.

Yeah that's a good point about the hunger. I've been feeding them each day too, but I think they could go a day. It's the same for the sleep, which I'm struggling with now since I only have two people. I haven't murdered anyone yet, although I went to a nice house where there was an old couple and I broke into their home. Instead of stealing I just took some food and ran.

, one time i had this girl steal from a bum's bag and she was "broken" by it. Just sat around on the ground back at the house and couldn't even move. I liked how when Katia came back from the place Pavle got seriously injured at, i had her kill someone because the girl said she was going to call for help(and i don't know what that entails, do troops show up?). Pavle's little dialogue box says "Katia, how could you do that?" Dude, Pavle, you murdered the other three people that were living there just yesterday. You should probably be worrying about yourself...

Yeah, they definitely don't need to eat every day. That was seriously wiping me out. Having a couple beds is pretty key. I havent pushed the non-sleep thing too far, at least more than a day. I just try to fit in sleep during the day when nothing is happening. I figure i need as many people guarding at night as i can afford to repel off any raiders.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Make sure you always get Bruno to do the cooking obviously. He was my stay at home guy, always on watch during the night, would then sleep most of the day before cooking food for everyone.

The actual numbers for food/hunger are here:

I only suggest looking at this when you're going for that 'perfect' playthrough though.
    http://this-war-of-mine.wikia.com/wiki/Hunger

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jin View Post
    I went to a nice house where there was an old couple and I broke into their home. Instead of stealing I just took some food and ran.
    I robbed them, they just stayed scared upstairs begging me not to take anything... I felt ing awful I'm not gonna lie..

Protector Domesticus

I could use some tips, seem to not do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    , one time i had this girl steal from a bum's bag and she was "broken" by it. Just sat around on the ground back at the house and couldn't even move. I liked how when Katia came back from the place Pavle got seriously injured at, i had her kill someone because the girl said she was going to call for help(and i don't know what that entails, do troops show up?). Pavle's little dialogue box says "Katia, how could you do that?" Dude, Pavle, you murdered the other three people that were living there just yesterday. You should probably be worrying about yourself...

Yeah, they definitely don't need to eat every day. That was seriously wiping me out. Having a couple beds is pretty key. I havent pushed the non-sleep thing too far, at least more than a day. I just try to fit in sleep during the day when nothing is happening. I figure i need as many people guarding at night as i can afford to repel off any raiders.
    Lol you're a bloody butcher.

Quote Originally Posted by .Mitch. View Post
    I robbed them, they just stayed scared upstairs begging me not to take anything... I felt ing awful I'm not gonna lie..
    Yeah I was going to rob them initially. I was looking through their keyhole waiting for them to go to bed but they never did so I just walked in but the old man was like please please! So I just took food and sprinted out. I didn't even take all their food, just enough for another day for my two survivors haha.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Bought this game on the Steam sale, its instantly become one of my all time favourites I like how you can take multiple different paths toward survival, taking a raiding and combat approach or focusing more on production and bartering as I did in my last play-through. Finished the game on my second try by realising that you don't have to feed everyone every day, improving food production with animal traps and focusing all extra attention on production of moonshine/cigarettes, and on trade/ arbitrage across the various sellers. I advise everyone to get a radio if they're going for a trade approach btw, getting good prices is really quite central to a trade focus and the radio lets you know the state of play as regards demand of various goods in the world. I'm interested to see how a herb/ medicine production route will work out, will have to try it on a future play-through.
    Last edited by Caelifer_1991; December 31, 2014 at 02:22 AM.

The radio was bunk for me. I got a bunch of coffee because the radio said it was valuable, and i didn't get crap for it when i tried to trade it to the dude who came to my door.

Once you figure out you don't need to eat everyday, the game becomes a lot more doable. Thinking i needed to feed my people anytime they were hungry was driving me to getting my people killed. I started a new one the other day with just the two people, and they are basically the two worst people. The lady who "is good with kids" and that mathematician dude. Both can only carry 10 things too which is a real pain in the ass.

Both times i've finished the game have been completely different in terms of days it took. The first time i beat the game took twice as long as the second time i beat it.

Caelifer_1991's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    The radio was bunk for me. I got a bunch of coffee because the radio said it was valuable, and i didn't get crap for it when i tried to trade it to the dude who came to my door.

Once you figure out you don't need to eat everyday, the game becomes a lot more doable. Thinking i needed to feed my people anytime they were hungry was driving me to getting my people killed. I started a new one the other day with just the two people, and they are basically the two worst people. The lady who "is good with kids" and that mathematician dude. Both can only carry 10 things too which is a real pain in the ass.

Both times i've finished the game have been completely different in terms of days it took. The first time i beat the game took twice as long as the second time i beat it.
    I wasn't aware that the game length varied, that's interesting As regards Coffee, I never actually traded it myself so never noticed, from what I have gathered on my brief foray onto the Steam forums it seems that the price fluctuation for Coffee only applies to your own purchases, and doesn't increase the price at which you can sell it. Seems like a bug to me.

Yeah, you can start at weird times too. Maybe it depends on which group you grab now that you can do that. I grabbed one of the four person groups when i did it. Actually started off in the dead of winter which freaking sucked! Although, i killed it on that one. I basically made my strategy to go to all the places with bad people and murder everyone there. Then i'd come in with my slow guy that could carry a ton and just clean up. I only lost one person and my group was living like kings. Basically i could have easily held out another month and simply went on a couple trips to chop up some furniture for fuel.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

oh wow this game looks interesting.

It's definitely worth it. Like was mentioned, the replayability isn't there yet. Hopefully they'll keep adding things to create incentive to keep replaying. And i agree Kaufenpreis, you could definitely make a cool and original zombie game based on this structure(at least AFAIK there isn't anything like it).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast