Thread: Adding responses

crazyroman's Avatar Artifex

Default Adding responses

Hello people.I added in my game some units and im trying to add the respones like : Hastati, Principes etc. Anybody can tell me how ?

Default Re: Adding responses

To explain better i want to add the sound of response in some units i add.I did something but it didnt work...

find export_descr_sounds_units_voice.txt in the data folder
    search your units coding name in the EDU. (Name with space/s, not the one with underscores (dictionary name) usually has a name similar to how it appears in game, though some like "roman light cavalry" for Equites, so use your "data/text/export_units.txt" file to find the ingame to edu dictionary name.)
    add between the word "event" and "group", "folder data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/FILENAME.wav"
    it will be the fourth response of the unit upon clicking now.
    oh and dont forget to add your .wav file to "data/sounds/Voice/Human/Localized/"
    I believe it may work with .mp3 and also will work if routed to a different folder, however it is easier to stick to .wav and in that folder to make it easier to troubleshoot if you code wrong, copying lines already present in the .txt file, usually also allows for less errors to creep in (spelling and syntax errors mostly). Any problems feel free to contact me here.

To add other sounds (like group moving, hooves/chariot noises, weapon sounds, menu music etc) is somewhat different as they are set out differently and are in other files.

Good luck coding!
    Last edited by Bouncebag; December 08, 2014 at 05:00 AM.

Ok now a silly question : i must record the sounds myself and add them in the game ? :p

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Yes, unless you want to reuse existing sounds already in the game.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

You can use other .wav/.mp3 files, anything you have a copy of really, however be wary of copyright if you release the mod you are making. It is easiest to use files supplied with the game, like some of the alexander music in the base game.

Ok i think i will be okay without responses.I cant make these sound files and i cant use existed ones.No im not releasing a mod i just do that for me.The strange thing is that many other sounds like marching and firing are already in.Anyways thanks for the answers.
    Last edited by crazyroman; December 10, 2014 at 07:53 AM.

Using existing sounds for new units is quite common, as many responses are not specific like "spears" "swordsmen" etc. Marching and firing (along with other sounds) are linked to general properties of unit type, weapon type, armour type etc, rather than an individual unit like responses.

Ok guys thanks for the help.I added the responses.