Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Constantinople

Default Constantinople

This will likely be a discussion till the game is released and even after that. We saw the triple layered fortifications. We saw Haghia Sophia. We saw the Imperial Palace. We saw the Circus Maximus. We saw the Column of Constantine. When were they actually build?

Do we have screenshot of these buildings online as well?
    The Armenian Issue

Default Re: Constantinople

My old rig dropped to like 20 FPS playing today's Rally Point episode

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constan..._and_monuments

AFAIK, all these buildings you say had been built by 400 AD or were built shortly after.
    The big cathedral seems more similar to 6th century Hagia Sophia than to the wooden church it preceded, though.

I still think its stupid that the outer wall has no gate thus proving that CA haven't improved the competency of their siege AI such that it has a functionality which rivals Medieval II.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Great accuracy! Theodosian walls before Theodosius himslef!!!!
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by Leving View Post
    I still think its stupid that the outer wall has no gate thus proving that CA haven't improved the competency of their siege AI such that it has a functionality which rivals Medieval II.
    That makes no sense. The outer wall is a secondary barricade, not a true "wall"... I don't see what this has to do with AI, either. Just a conspiracy theory, again...
    modificateurs sans frontičres

Developer for Ancient Empires
    (scripter, developed tools for music modding, tools to import custom battle maps into campaign)

Lead developer of Attila Citizenship Population Mod
    (joint 1st place for Gameplay Mods in 2016 Modding Awards)

Assisted with RMV2 Converter
    (2nd place for Warscape Engine Resources in 2016 Modding Awards)

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Causeless View Post
    That makes no sense. The outer wall is a secondary barricade, not a true "wall"... I don't see what this has to do with AI, either. Just a conspiracy theory, again...
    in old med 2 rams could move in under the gate, so the AI could do it and reach second wall.
    but yeah should the second wall not have a gate? But again I would put the blame on that the AI don't start with mixed siege items, still working on a mod for that no luck so far........

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Great accuracy! Theodosian walls before Theodosius himslef!!!!
    The walls were started to be built by 404. Well withing the time time frame of the game.
    The Armenian Issue

What?
    You mean the 1m high wall that was right after the moat or the real 1st wall that had 9m hight?
    You see..that 1m wall was actually 11m high if we calculate moat's depth (10m) and the 1m hight of perivolos!
    What makes things more rediculus in Attila is the fact that CA developers have not found a way to improve AI's siege capabillities not even in Rome I or M2TW Kingdoms standards!
    That is why they despertly need those walls to coplapse under siege ( they must explain the magic besiegers will use for that)! That way after a turn AI will have no walls to stop them! CA developers hide their lack of abillities under "new" features!!!!! As long as i remember those walls -and others- keep standing on their places!
    I wonder if CA in UK saw any stone wall castle disapear infront of their eyes despite the fact that those walls are not in use for centuries!
    Last time I saw Thessaloniki's walls though they were still in their places!!

With CA's "logic" those walls should be melted and disapear for centuries! Damn...CA must learn that Roman walls and infrastructures did not disapear from any kind of siege in west europe but because people did not know what to do with them and used their materials for other uses destroying them in dark ages!
    EDIT: Not only stones did not colapse but also clay bricks did not either! Does anyone of the CA geniuses know what those bricks were used for?
    Actually for NOT colapsing the walls from earthquakes !!!!!!! Clay bricks absorved the cinetic power of earth movements or from stone projectiles durring sieges!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No wall ever disapeared durring a siege!!!!!
    If CA wants walls to colapse the only thing that must re-add to the game is Rome I tunnels but only for few factions like Romans,Armenians(the best tunnelers) and Sassanids!
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; December 04, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

CA must learn that Roman walls and infrastructures did not disapear from any kind of siege in west europe but because people did not know what to do with them and used their materials for other uses destroying them in dark ages!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vordingborg_Castle
    it was something people did, NOT every one but some did.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

They actually didn't need two gates as the walls don't always had two gates. In certain places there is one gate that covers both layers of walls.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

That's actually just the main wall, looking at it from the inside. The second layer is much shorter.

Last edited by PointOfViewGun; December 04, 2014 at 01:14 PM.
    The Armenian Issue

Romans and Sassanids used helenistic wall/enginearing rules to improve walls effectiveness!
    The ration between the wall ungle to projectile's course was not found by British to arm their tanks!
    It was mention by hellenistc era greeks in wall making manuals!
    Also Theodosian walls of Thessalonike were constructed by a former Sassanid
    ΤΕΙΧΕΣΙΝΑΡΡΗΚΤΟΙΣΟΡΜΙΣΔΑΣΕΞΕΤΕΛΕΣΕΝΤΗΔΕΠΟΛΙΝ
    Ormisdas served the Emperor Theodosius so honestly that emperor ordered the creation of the script you see above to honor him!!
    Those walls-and ofcourse their expansions-still standing in their place despite the douzens of sieges the city had from that era untill today!!!
    EDIT: My friend Setekh please read carefully what i write!
    The picture i posted is from the Walls of Thessaloniki not Constantinople!
    Also you forget that after 1204AD walls were sort of abandoned. The soil that accumulated all this time from that era created the illusion that walls are shorter!
    That is why archeologists dig to find the real hight of those walls and its towers! The dimentions are not mine but the official dimentions historians write always!
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; December 04, 2014 at 01:18 PM.

I dont care much about this level of accuracy.
    all I have to say is that this settlement looks amazing.

Romans and Sassanids used helenistic wall/enginearing rules to improve walls effectiveness!
    The ration between the wall ungle to projectile's course was not found by British to arm their tanks!
    It was mention by hellenistc era greeks in wall making manuals!
    Also Theodosian walls of Thessalonike were constructed by a former Sassanid
    ΤΕΙΧΕΣΙΝΑΡΡΗΚΤΟΙΣΟΡΜΙΣΔΑΣΕΞΕΤΕΛΕΣΕΝΤΗΔΕΠΟΛΙΝ
    Ormisdas served the Emperor Theodosius so honestly that emperor ordered the creation of the script you see above to honor him!!
    Those walls-and ofcourse their expansions-still standing in their place despite the douzens of sieges the city had from that era untill today!!!
    EDIT:
    Το 253 μ.Χ. οιΓότθοι επιτέθηκαν στη Θεσσαλονίκη. Η επίθεση τους δεν επέφερε καμία ζημία στα τείχη και αυτοί αναγκάστηκαν να επιστρέψουν στηδική τους περιοχή παίρνοντας μαζί τους πολλούς αιχμαλώτους αλλά και μεγάλο ποσοστό λάφυρων.16 χρόνια αργότερα, το 269 μΧ, οι ίδιοι βάρβαροι εμφανίστηκαν ξανά λίγο έξω από τα τείχη της πόλης με τις ίδιες προθέσεις. Όμως εγκατέλειψαν τα σχεδία τους εξαιτίας του Κλαύδιου, ο οποίος εκστράτευσε εναντίον τους.

Translation:
    In 253 AD Goths attacked in Thessaloniki. Their attack did not have any result or any damage against the walls and they were forced to return to their own area taking with them many prisoners and a large percentage of the spoils. 16 years later, in 269 AD, the same barbarians appeared slightly again outside the city walls with the same intentions. But abandoned their plans because of Claudius, who campaigned against them.
    From the "Walls of Thessalonike".
    As you can clearly read simple sieges without any sophisticated siege equipment did not have any affect against walls!!!
    CA tries to convince us otherwise!
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; December 04, 2014 at 01:28 PM.

All walls are barricades.

Tell me though, who would bother to build a wall and then just completely undermine it by leaving a massive gap in it where the gatehouse should be?

As far as the AI goes, it has to do with the fact that the only reason CA would not put a gatehouse in the wall (as there was in real life) is because the AI, god bless it, is not able to defeat a double layered wall. Unless you can think of some other reason why there would not be a gatehouse that is.

Tell me though, who would bother to build a wall and then just completely undermine it by leaving a massive gap in it
    To make a choke point? I really need to rewatch 300.

Tell me though, who would bother to build a wall and then just completely undermine it by leaving a massive gap in it where the gatehouse should be?

As far as the AI goes, it has to do with the fact that the only reason CA would not put a gatehouse in the wall (as there was in real life) is because the AI, god bless it, is not able to defeat a double layered wall. Unless you can think of some other reason why there would not be a gatehouse that is.
    AI like that in Rome II can not win ANY wall!! In medieval 2 AI had to deal with citadels that had 3 wall rings with a desent abillity!
    In Rome II AI is foolish and that is why CA made most of the cities without walls to help AI take control of them! The Rome II is so foolish that CA redused cities guarisson because AI could not defeat even wallless cities with desent armies to guard them!
    Even the portay of CA about the Vlachernae walls is wrong
    Blachernae walls
    Theodosian Walls
    Last edited by AnthoniusII; December 04, 2014 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    To make a choke point? I really need to rewatch 300.
    Real people aren't like the AI in Total War games.

Real people aren't like the AI in Total War games.
    did I ever say that?

Quote Originally Posted by VarrKhaitan View Post
    did I ever say that?
    No, you did not.

I was just trying to point out that leaving a massive gap in your wall wouldn't really be beneficial in real life.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast