Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Mythology - Heroic Age Greek RP, Discussion and OOC Thread

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

Default Age of Mythology - Heroic Age Greek RP, Discussion and OOC Thread

"In the Age of Antiquity, when Greece was the light of civilisation and Rome was nought but a village in the Italian peninsula, all else was a dark place full of mystery and wonder. The surrounding lands were full of barbarians and blood-thirsty enemies, or so it was said.

Yet in this time, above all others, the gods directed the fates of their people and demi-gods walked the earth. Legends such as Herakles and Theseus, and before them those of the ilk of Akhilles, Odysseus and Pelops.

Now is the time when great legends are forged and mythology written by those who were there or the most imaginative of writers afterwards, it is a place where magic is not entirely extinguished and where a mere mortal may change the fate of the world if the gods do will it."

Well, since no-one else seems to have the time, or perhaps the willpower, to do it...here we go; an RP set in the wild lands of fantastical Ancient Greece and the known world surrounding it. Here be monsters of legend, both of the human type and the more mythological type, but here also are great legends ready to be made through the rush of combat and the skill of their diplomacy.

I shall begin, if it is alright with all those interested, by gathering together a crew for a vessel- in classical Argonauts style -before setting off on our adventure(s). There shall be no demi-gods here, so don't even think of it, but mortal men possessed of keen intellect, keener blades, and maybe a unique skill or two.

Think Odessey rather than Iliad, Argonauts rather than Twelve Labours...

This is not to say that there won't be challenges of that ilk found within, indeed I intend to shove a Hydra or a few Centaurs in here-and-there, it simply means that no-one (yet...) would be able to massacre them without help and a good deal of planning.

Esssntially we are dealing with the Greek Heroic Age, probably post-Troy but pre-Argonauts? This can helped be decided by you, the player.

As for characters, take a wee look at this sheet:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Name:

Race/Nationality:

Height and Build:

Hair:

Eyes:

Career and Skills:

Weapons:

Armour/Attire:

Equipment/Other

Physical Description:

Mental Description:

Background/History:

An example sheet, from a good while back!:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Name: Argyros Nikostratos

Race/Nationality: Argive (from Argos)

Height and Build: 5' 9" and well-built

Hair: Black hair cut mid-length/short

Eyes: Sea blue

Career and Skills: Argian noble and warrior, raised as part of the elite Argive Epilektoi and well versed in all forms of warfare. Being a leader of Argos' semi-professional military has given him great swiftness of body and mind, tactics and strategy widely known by him, as well as how to kill a man a hundred different ways.

Weapons: A doru (hoplite spear) and xiphos.

Armour/Attire: Being a warrior and a noble it would make sense that Argyros was clad most of the time in his armour, very rarely at ease, if ever, his equipment and protection of the highest quality available to him. His upper body is safe behind a muscled bronze cuirass while his lower is guarded by a pair of greaves and his head fully enclosed by a black-and-white crested Corinthian helmet. All this, from knee to shoulder, is protected by the aspis (hoplon) shield originally invented in his home polis of Argos, the face decorated with a black hydra on a white background.

Equipment/Other N/A

Physical Description: At an average height but of well-built stock Argyros is not the most imposing man in the Argive forces but then again it is his training and skill that make him dangerous, not his appearance. The Argive noble has a hard face, crags appearing well away from his elder years, the smooth skin leathery and hard from years of training, marching and fighting. It is so all over his body, pink scars running grooves into parts of his body, the training of the most fearsome Argive hoplites not that much easier than their Spartan adversaries. Years of training have hardened him and built his body into a muscular but lithe adult, his outer appearance extremely deceptive since he moves with such fluidity. Give the blue-eyed warrior a weapon however, or just an opponent and he will bring them down.

Mental Description: Argyros shares two major traits with all his Argive brethren, his devotion to his ancestors and polis and his hatred of Sparta and her people. Not entirely adverse to them he, like others, cannot easily forgot past wrongs done to them by the Dorian descendants after leaving Mycenae. These feelings are deeply ingrained into him but usually his mind is more focused on training. He is a quick thinker, a survivor some might say, able to work his way out of tight spots as much with his mind as with his weapon-arm and thus diffuse situations. Being the son of a city noble and servant of the king means he is well educated inside and outside of war, able to speak a number of regional dialects and engage in a number of crafts when he is not fighting. When in battle, however, he is cool and calm but full of rage beneath the surface. Gods help those who face him.

Background/History:

Argyros was born in the city or polis of Argos itself, a city of culture and military renown, under the benevolent rulership of their king, Pheidon. Under the patronage of the king his family prospered and the 'silver child' was born into a line made of both warriors and educated men, in Argos being both one and the same. His childhood was harsh and filled with blood and sweat as he was taught the skills needed for war, taught doubly because he was the son of a noble, he was flogged and beaten by other boys as well as being beaten by his teachers.

Oh they were not Spartans by any feat but they were solid enough to hold a line when other part-time soldiers would scatter and flee. When he was eighteen, a man, Argyros fought his first battle against Spartan forces and eventually won through sheer grit. Over the years he fought numberless skirmishes and a good number of battles against rival city-states and their forces.

Presently he has been given a task by his king, a task that will require old grudges to be set aside, all Hellenes to unite and for him to set out to sea on a journey that could take him anywhere in the known world.

So, questions, ideas and so forth, please post them all here! Once we're all sorted, all profiled up, and all agreed, then off we shall go.

McScottish
    Last edited by McScottish; December 03, 2014 at 03:35 AM.

Dirty Chai's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Age of Mythology - Heroic Age Greek RP, Discussion and OOC Thread

You're almost as bad as me...

Should we try to portray the Greeks then for what they are in this historical timeframe - Mycenaean and Minoan culture?
    These guys, rather than Classical hoplites.
    The movie "Troy" (yes, the one with Brad Pitt) actually did that pretty 'okay', incorporating vaguely bronze age equipment instead of classical equipment.

Whatever the Iliad is based on historically, it most definitely happened in the Mycenaean period, right around the Bronze Age Collapse, and probably had something to do with the infamous Sea Peoples.

The reason I'm as bad as you, yet better, is because there's so much- too much -bloody talk and too little on these forums! That's a fact.

As for how we portray ourselves, I suppose that'd be up to a general concensus in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    As for how we portray ourselves, I suppose that'd be up to a general concensus in the end.
    That's true.
    I suppose it doesn't matter all too much.

How would you start such a story?
    I always thought the destruction of Sybaris was a bit like Troy, and that early Italy would be a rather interesting setting for an odyssey, almost Conan-like.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Mythological Greece? Good, good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    That's true.
    I suppose it doesn't matter all too much.

How would you start such a story?
    I always thought the destruction of Sybaris was a bit like Troy, and that early Italy would be a rather interesting setting for an odyssey, almost Conan-like.

Ah Sybaris, like an Ancient Greek Gomorra (sp?), I reckon that could work quite well; Romes not even a power yet, they requested help from the two major poleis, aaaand it burns in the end. Could work well.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    Mythological Greece? Good, good.

For a guy called Pericles of Athens, I should darn well hope so!

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'm in.

As to equipment, I think that since I assume most of us are imagining this taking place in the mythological "Heroic Age" of Greece, I don't think it really matters how historically accurate we are with it. If we're going to have a Greek God or two step into the story, as I assume we will if we are to do this properly, I think it's rather irrelevant what sorts of shields we're carrying. Let's just leave the equipment up to each player and ignore the historicity of it, so long as the equipment is vaguely Greek and very badass.

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Ehhhh, im not crazy about this but I will be monitoring it to see where it goes
    Low speed, High Drag

We could be another band of Trojan survivors (perhaps that's too unoriginal though?), or perhaps another city...

I always thought the fall of the Minoan Civilization to Mycenaeans may have been part of the larger historical expansion of the Greeks from which we get the oral Iliad.

Ace_General's Avatar Praeses

Actually, I wouldnt mind playing the Dorians and the sea peoples wrecking everyones civilization and cities
    Low speed, High Drag

I would personally take mythological Greece (the age of gods and heroes) over some Bronze Age game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pericles of Athens View Post
    I would personally take mythological Greece (the age of gods and heroes) over some Bronze Age game.
    All I meant is that this mythological Greece would have had a Bronze Age look to it, like the film Troy.

Agamemnon's Avatar Comes Limitis

I think I actually agree with Perry for once. I definitely want mythology here, and while I'm not sure if Perry would agree I say that if we're going mythological, it's irrelevant what time period our armor comes from.

And I for once find myself in agreement with you, Aggy. If there are gonna be hydras and demi gods running around we don't really need to get detailed on proper bronze age armaments.

Well, if ya'll seen Jason and the Argonauts (a classic stop-motion monster film), then they're wearing the linothrax and wearing Corinthian helms in that. While not too fussed on clothing, I would like to either go with more Bronze Age or more Classical Age armament. If we go by time period, probably BA, however, if we go by vase-paintings and the like, Classical Era weapons and armour would be more suitable.

As for mythology, aye, there shall be plenty of that!

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Interesting, so can we play as gods and Demi gods?

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Interesting, so can we play as gods and Demi gods?
    Not really, no; we're more like the Argonauts than, say, any of the major figures of the period- Perseus, Herakles, and so forth. I suppose if there was enough support for that idea then, yea, we could well go down that route. I'm just not all that thrilled about the idea of having each person running around as a demi-god.

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    Well, if ya'll seen Jason and the Argonauts (a classic stop-motion monster film), then they're wearing the linothrax and wearing Corinthian helms in that. While not too fussed on clothing, I would like to either go with more Bronze Age or more Classical Age armament. If we go by time period, probably BA, however, if we go by vase-paintings and the like, Classical Era weapons and armour would be more suitable.

As for mythology, aye, there shall be plenty of that!
    You know, I'm pretty sure the vases and art depict ancient Greeks naked with just shields and weapons.

That's probably reflecting how Greeks used to not wear anything under their armor (so naked, under whatever armor they wore).

Quote Originally Posted by Bastard Feudalism View Post
    You know, I'm pretty sure the vases and art depict ancient Greeks naked with just shields and weapons.

That's probably reflecting how Greeks used to not wear anything under their armor (so naked, under whatever armor they wore).
    Depends very much on the period, for example; http://www.theoi.com/Gallery/T19.10.html

That is a vase from the Late Archaic Period.

There is also the case of the figure whom is being shown- Herakles is obviously going to be clad in a lions skin, wielding a club, probably pretty naked. Perseus sometimes has winged sandals on! While Achilles, as can be seen, is commonly shown dressed in armour.

Takes all sorts.

Don't let this die before its born, there never seems to be enough interest in ancient/mythological Greece on these forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast