Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total War: ATTILA- Dev Blog

CA Developer Icon Total War: ATTILA- Dev Blog

Hi all,

Have you ever wondered how marriages work in Total War: ATTILA or how the role of agents will change?
    Then today is your lucky day, as we've got a brand new installment of our Total War: ATTILA Development Blog with answers to these burning questions for you, fresh out of the proverbial pen of our very own Peter Stewart.

Read more here: http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/The_Finer_Points_of_Conquest

Enjoy,

Joey CA
    The formal disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

For solutions thread - http://forums.totalwar.com/showthrea...support-forums
    To post a technical issue - http://forums.totalwar.com/forumdisp...-Support-Forum

Feel free to PM me at any time if you wish to discuss any issues or pass on feedback- If you are rude I will not respond.

Default Re: Total War: ATTILA- Dev Blog

This game starts to become more and more promising for every bit of info you guys gives us!

Edit: Allthough, shouldn't an emperor of the Sassanid Empire be a bit more hairy? I myself like my persians bearded.

No such thing as a sassanid emperor, just the king of kings.The game is looking more interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by juanplay View Post
    No such thing as a sassanid emperor, just the king of kings.The game is looking more interesting.
    I see your nitpicking and raise it with my own. The term "emperor" can be, and is frequently used to refer to people of a similar standing as that of an roman emperor in other states. Similary, the term "empire" have been, and is used to describe states of a certain grandness. Thusly using the term "emperor" to refer to the official leader of the Sassanid "empire" is not incorrect in describing that single individual's status within that society.

Thanks for the post

In the brief descriptions of the abilities of each agent--is the second sentence concerning a spy a typo since it seems to partially contradict the first sentence?

"My spy (Investigator) can act upon enemy armies and deceive enemy agents, slowing them down. No actions can yet be used on armies or settlements. "

Cheers
    Artillery brings dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl!

Sherm's Avatar Ordinarius

The only good gameblog is the one where was said "These feature will be implemented also in Rome II and not only in Barbarian Invasion II"

By all means, "emperor" did mean "king of kings" by Medieval standard. It is thus a translational equivalence. The same as how everyone calls Chinese emperor, well, Emperor though he refered himself as "golden king" in Chinese.

Back to the topic, I hope that marriage would be a little bit more dynamic than in Shogun 2, i.e. it should have both pros and cons. Hostile factions of the betrothed side should hate you even more. Declining marriage should lead to a minor diplomacy punishment. There should also be a chance that a non-married member of the betrothed side would turn up hating your faction. In case he ends up being the faction leader, the whole marriage endeavour would prove completely miscalculated.

Other thing I would love to see is if an assassination attemp on faction leader is disclosed, war could be declared without any diplomacy punishment, regardless your current treaties.I remember once trying to assassinate the Holy Roman emperor in M2TW only to be detected. He immediately declared war on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Forward Observer View Post
    Thanks for the post

In the brief descriptions of the abilities of each agent--is the second sentence concerning a spy a typo since it seems to partially contradict the first sentence?

"My spy (Investigator) can act upon enemy armies and deceive enemy agents, slowing them down. No actions can yet be used on armies or settlements. "

Cheers
    The spy can't affect your armies. They are distinguishing between good and bad. Think not increasing your armies line of sight or movement points.

I hope CA gives agents (namely spies) the ability to perform framing actions. Meaning I would like a new method to decrease the standing between AI factions. Few things are as annoying as ending up surrounded by allies of allies preventing growth without losing hard won connections. I would like the ability to push favor towards my faction so that when war starts, the divides are where I want.

Perhaps back to MTW1 spies?
    -They were able to fabricate fake evidences, and further a fake judicial action(according several parameters, the general or agent you didn't want anymore was condamned or not....)

The Outsider's Avatar Civis

Im not going to pre order this game or anything - the wound of rome 2 is too fresh but man! Parchements! My beloved parchements! I missed them soo much since medieval! This brings back soo many memories, its good to see them back.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

as long as ca previews can show me the new UI n features in video form, uncut, I am sold. I would just pre order it and get the dlc for free. when I am done with witcher 3, I would start playing attila. it really doesn't matter to me the state of the release as I wouldn't be playing till at least 3 months after release date anyway. but from what I am seeing, it looks pretty good. the only regret I have is rome 2 vanilla would never get the improvements. such a waste of the good time period.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Quote Originally Posted by The Outsider View Post
    Im not going to pre order this game or anything - the wound of rome 2 is too fresh but man! Parchements! My beloved parchements! I missed them soo much since medieval! This brings back soo many memories, its good to see them back.
    Its weird seeing so much taken from the original medieval total war. I didn't think CA would look into them again, much less use them for Attila. It sounds really great.

My priest (Magus) can affect my own provinces by acting on them, and can also act on other agents to try and convert/neutralise them. He can also encourage dissent or, if he’s lucky, revolution in foreign settlements. He is, currently, unable to act in any way on any armies – neither mine nor foreign forces.
    My spy (Investigator) can act upon enemy armies and deceive enemy agents, slowing them down. No actions can yet be used on armies or settlements.
    My champion can attack any foreign character (that is, agents or generals), and also can perform military training on my own armies. They cannot act on enemy settlements or enemy armies.

So if I'm reading this right that means that even if they are fully upgraded the agents' roles are no longer overlapping which is a great thing I mean have you seen the mods on the workshop that literally cuts the agent limits to 1 or 0? It's so bad when you got 12 various agents doing the same thing over and over again and shutting down your empire.

Agents have been OP since NTW (I lost count of how many generals I lost to spies) so it's good if they make them more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    as long as ca previews can show me the new UI n features in video form, uncut, I am sold. I would just pre order it and get the dlc for free. when I am done with witcher 3, I would start playing attila. it really doesn't matter to me the state of the release as I wouldn't be playing till at least 3 months after release date anyway. but from what I am seeing, it looks pretty good. the only regret I have is rome 2 vanilla would never get the improvements. such a waste of the good time period.
    They already had a twitch stream where they showed the features shown in EGX video in real time. There might be a video of it somewhere.
    The Armenian Issue

paradamed's Avatar Praepositus

I hope we can use spies to spread plague like in RTW and M2TW

If anyone wants to take the surveys on their opinions about this and Attila pre-order DLC, check out this quick 2 minute survey here:

Attila and Rome II Mini-survey

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    They already had a twitch stream where they showed the features shown in EGX video in real time. There might be a video of it somewhere.
    it was the same video(content wise) I think + some QA(which was great) at the end. a lets play video that shows us the game. the video has to be the almost finish build, not the EGX special demo build. as close to the retail release version as possible. hell, show us the retail version, ca would have a gold version at least few weeks before release date right? Show us the new changes, no need to show everything but enough(up to ca to decide what is enough) something like what lusted did for rome 2 but in uncut video form! show us a video of devs playing the campaign, not just talking about the campaign. Show off the new UI + features in action. THAT would shut every critic of attila up 100% at least you would have the sensible posters on your side after something like that. I know there are those who would never be satisfied or just plain dumb. is ca confident enough in it's product to do that?

shadow of mordor had zero reviews besides the 1.5 hour long dev video showing off the game, I bought the game base on that video alone. it showed skills, stuff the devs thinks is cool, missions/quests. 50% of the video was about the nemesis system, their most important feature, in detail. it sold the game to almost everyone who watched the video I bet.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

it was the same video(content wise) I think + some QA(which was great) at the end. a lets play video that shows us the game. the video has to be the almost finish build, not the EGX special demo build. as close to the retail release version as possible. hell, show us the retail version, ca would have a gold version at least few weeks before release date right? Show us the new changes, no need to show everything but enough(up to ca to decide what is enough) something like what lusted did for rome 2 but in uncut video form! show us a video of devs playing the campaign, not just talking about the campaign. Show off the new UI + features in action. THAT would shut every critic of attila up 100% at least you would have the sensible posters on your side after something like that. I know there are those who would never be satisfied or just plain dumb. is ca confident enough in it's product to do that?

shadow of mordor had zero reviews besides the 1.5 hour long dev video showing off the game, I bought the game base on that video alone. it showed skills, stuff the devs thinks is cool, missions/quests. 50% of the video was about the nemesis system, their most important feature, in detail. it sold the game to almost everyone who watched the video I bet.
    It wasn't a video. They simply played the game live online showing the same features. It wasn't pre-made.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    It wasn't a video. They simply played the game live online showing the same features. It wasn't pre-made.
    it was the twitch event with qa at the end right? cuz they only played the battle just like the EGX event. introduced the UI stuff and not actually using it on the campaign map. unless you are talking about something else they did after the twitch stream in question.
    fear is helluva drug

it was the twitch event with qa at the end right? cuz they only played the battle just like the EGX event. introduced the UI stuff and not actually using it on the campaign map. unless you are talking about something else they did after the twitch stream in question.
    They showed the same stuff from the EGX video but in live usage of the game. This included the UI as well. The part 2 of the stream for example:

The Armenian Issue

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast