Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Tales of Germania

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Forgotten Tales of Germania

With how the story is progressing, I reckon it is now more of a hard narrative. The only thing that perhaps can link it to video game fiction is the use of the artwork below. But except the images, I don't think the game would have much impact on the narrative.

Index
    1. Prologue
    2. Of Adalbert and his People
    3. Maiden of the Forest
    4. Poisoning of the Peace
    5. First Blood
    6. Breaking of the Leaguer
    7. The Thing
    8. Ways of the Franks
    9. A Gathering of Wolves
    10. A Thing of Lies and Deceit
    11. A Trail of Shadows I
    12. A Trail of Shadows II
    13. The Wolf and the Wyrm I
    14. The Wolf and the Wyrm II

Last edited by m_1512; July 03, 2017 at 02:23 AM. Reason: update...

Blog Entries

Default Re: Forgotten Tales of Germania

Prologue

A lone rider traversed through the forest. He was lost and wearied, from the effort of finding the path again. He glanced around yet again, trying to find some water to quench his thirst. But all he was able to see were trees, and a faint snow falling to the ground. He rested his head on the mane of his horse, Gerolf, and whispered hoarsely, “I am parched, and cannot lead you on anymore. Find me some water, else leave me under a tree and be free.”

But by some miracle or close affinity to his master, the horse had comprehended the words and kept walking. And after some hours, of what seemed like an eternity to his master, the horse walked into a clearing passing from under an arch, and stopped near a stream and bent down to drink the water. The instant the rider had caught the sweet fragrance of cool water, he had jumped off the horse and into the stream. He gulped down handful after handful of water, oblivious to everything around him.

“You are quite thirsty, I see,” said a man who stood nearby, watching, “would you like some fruits once you thirst is sated?”

The rider leapt to his feet in surprise, and drew his sword. He looked at the man with narrow eyes, and he beheld an old man clad in coarse rags and leaning on a stick. He wiped his mouth on his sleeve and asked, “Are you a druid?”

“Were I a druid, would you have had a chance to draw your blade? But no, I am not a druid, just an old man.”

The rider stared for some moments, but finally put back the sword. He straightened up and asked, “I believe you. But who are you?”

“I am the keeper of this place. Who are you then?”

“A lost wayfarer who came about this place in need, and would like to rest before continuing my journey. But what is this place?”

But as the rider had said these words, he beheld the place more clearly. The clearing had only one exit, from under a stone arch. The stream ran from the north and towards the south, near the arch. There were ruins of some crude houses scattered here and there. But only one hut stood at the end of the clearing, half hidden by the ruins. The rider guess that the old man lived there. But as the rider beheld these sights, the old man had silently pondered for a while.

Finally, he broke the silence and spoke, “This was the birthplace and the village of Adalbert.”

The rider replied with a frown, “I have not heard of him. Was he a warrior or a chief?”

“Ah... he was Adalbert of the Franks, chief of this village and its tribe, a warrior and champion of the Frankish peoples, dispossessed of his legacy, shunned of his glory.”

As the old man spoke these words, the rider had felt his heart stir and a power emanate from the frail old man. He approached the man, having been rid of fear, and accepted his offer of a meal and rest. He spoke to the old man, but now with respect and in a humble manner, “He seems to have been a great warrior. Will you not tell me his tale, Elder?”

“But it is a long tale, and will take a long time to finish. And there is winter to bear, for the air here is cold and brisk.”

“That does not deter me, if I am to learn about a great warrior.”

The old man smiled when the young rider had spoken. He gave a nod and bade him to sit beside the stack of wood he had arranged for a fire. He sat down on the opposite side and spoke to him, “Then this one condition I put on you. That you may pass on this tale to your bloodline and no one else, unless there comes one who seeks it. Do you agree?”

The young rider nodded, and bowed his head, “And so shall it be, Elder.”

“Then let us begin.”

McScottish's Avatar The Scribbling Scotsman

You cad! I was thinking of doing an AAR using this mod...in about 3 months.

A good start, but then again I'd expect that from your good self. Love the Germani, and I'm sure I'll love this AAR too. +Rep.

I hope the same thing doesn't happen to this AAR that befell your previous R2TW AAR. Would be a mighty shame if it did because this has lots of promise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by McScottish View Post
    You cad! I was thinking of doing an AAR using this mod...in about 3 months.

A good start, but then again I'd expect that from your good self. Love the Germani, and I'm sure I'll love this AAR too. +Rep.
    Thanks. Any thoughts about the font? I am undecided which would be best here.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    I hope the same thing doesn't happen to this AAR that befell your previous R2TW AAR. Would be a mighty shame if it did because this has lots of promise.
    Not a chance, this one is completely under control.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Great start, looking forward to reading more.

Blog Entries

Of Adalbert and his People

Settled by the fire crackling in the brisk night air, the old man took a swig of his preferred strong drink. He spoke, “Although you may be eager to hear his deeds of renown first, the tale would be unfinished unless it was from the beginning. And so, I will start by telling you of Adalbert and his people.”

'As you know now that Adalbert was born in this very village, on a clear winter morning. He was the firstborn of Baldovin, chief of the village, and a shield maiden from the Cimbri people. He was named Adalbert to signify his high birth, and thus he inherited the tenacious blood of the Franks and the unrelenting spirit of the Cimbri. He was soon joined in this world by three brothers, each one after 2 winters. While they were quite like Adalbert in many things, they all had differences.

After Adalbert were, Clovis the faithful, Karl the headstrong, and Gerulf the crafty. As the boys grew, it soon seemed to the village that some ancient blood trait had awakened in them. The four brothers had become strong and indomitable. They indulged in sport and hunt, undeterred by harsh winters. And when the youngest boy completed more than seventeen summers, they were initiated as warriors of their tribe.

The tribe of this village were a valiant folk, and one of the numerous tribes of the Franks. And as common among Sweboz, they too had rivalries with some and affinity with some. This village was settled near a stream and a bountiful wood, and people had been content for a time. This had been the time of Chideric, Baldovin’s father. But Baldovin had strove fiercely with the Langobards, and the countless raids had made all woods and lands perilous to people. And thus this village became guarded, and many traps laid on about the woods.

But this Adalbert liked the least, as he came to youth. With hot blood in his veins, he wanted to earn great glory and renown in the oral traditions as a legend. And at his first chance, he had broken the leaguer and had his first adventure. This was an important event, as it then shaped all things that came to pass later. But I will tell more about it later.

The four brothers were adept huntsmen, but each favoured a weapon to their liking. Adalbert wielded the spatha and a shield, Clovis a spear, Karl a heavy axe, and Gerulf a slender hunting bow. The people of the village for most part used spears and bows, for they made them in plenty and wielded with deadly effect. Only the chief and his chosen warriors used the spatha and heavy shield.

And so the people of the village rested in their leaguer, content to live in peace for most part of their lives. They had a good reason to feel safe, for Baldovin and his warriors defended the surrounding woods with great tenacity. There were a guard of huntsmen in the woods, stalking any that would enter without leave, and the outer houses were occupied by none but the chief’s most hardened chosen warriors. But little had Baldovin known that all his effort only helped Adalbert for his grand plans, for the people had flourished and become numerous during the peace.'
    Last edited by m_1512; November 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Looking very promising so far. Keep up the good work!

Subscribed.

I enjoyed reading about the four brothers - this tale has the authentic feel of a long-lost legend, now being re-discovered as each chapter appears.

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Great start! Look forward to what the four brothers are going to do!
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

Blog Entries

Maiden of the Forest

The old man stoked the fire, and used the pause for another fortifying gulp of his drink. He saw that the rider had been staring at the forest, eyes out of focus. He took another gulp and cleared his throat, “I see that you did not find that interesting. But it is of importance, for it bears relevance to what happened much later. And now, we come to the part when Adalbert embarks on his destiny.”

The rider then stirred, as someone who came out of a sleep, “I will not deny it that I have been eager to hear about this part.”

“It was in the forest over to the north. It is said that in those woods, he came chanced to meet a woman who thus inspired to do great feats.”

“A woman!?”

“So it is said. You may not believe that, but legends say that it was a maiden of the old forest…”

‘It happened during the First Hunt, an ancient tradition of the tribe that had been broken with the start of the guarded peace. The tradition was a hunt, done by the blooded youth of the tribe at the first sign of the snow. This was not so much symbolic, for it was an opportunity to harden the youth towards becoming future warriors. And the food they brought from their hunt was always welcomed. This much is sufficient for you to know about this tradition.

As you know that this tradition had been abandoned during the guarded peace. But as most things in the world, it was not to last. For it so happened that coming of a harsh winter brought this about. Adalbert, as was his wont, had been brooding about the village yet again, for he had been denied leave to go on the hunt. So great was his anger that he even called all the people, present in the Hall of Warriors, as cowards. And he would have been taught a lesson, had not Clovis spoken in the matter.

He spoke without fear in the council, and said to the elders, “Stay your anger, venerable fathers! Adalbert may be right, for have we not disrespected our sacred traditions? And here we have a harsh winter in the coming. I say we not forget ourselves and start respecting our noble traditions. With your blessings, let us call the hunt in the name of Wotan.”

And that was all it took. The elders, overruled, had no option but to grant leave to Adalbert and Clovis to call the hunt. And that too they perverted, for they crossed the leaguer and went to the cold forests of the north. The forest was still, laden with snow. They crept silently through thickets of trees and bushes, looking for their prey. Unfortunately for them, in their cleverness, they had chosen a forest unknown to them and were unable to find anything for many hours. But the brothers kept going through the forest, from tree to bough.

But soon, they were lost. For each had wandered in some direction and knew not where the other one was. Adalbert had strayed into the very midst of the forest, where a heavy mist lay upon the place. Winded, he stopped and sat near a tree to rest, and catch his breath. And that is when it happened.

A sharp horn was blown, its blaring sound reverberating through the woods and mist. It was not just a sharp blast, but a small note with a deep, throaty blaring sound to it. Adalbert jumped to his feet, and deftly fitting an arrow to his bow. If he had been winded, he was now taking numerous sharp breaths, as if he were an animal who could feel a predator heading its way. “Who goes there?” he squeaked. He had tried to shout it as a manly command, and failed. Such was the strange fear that he felt at the sound of the horn, for to him, it sounded as a horn both ancient and potent. He gathered up his boldness and called out again, in a decent manly voice, “Who is there? Show yourself! I am armed, I warn you!”

But there came no answer. Adalbert stood still as a rock, his hands clutching the bow and an arrow. After some moments, the horn blew another note, but this one quite unlike the first. It started as a soft call at first, which then grew in potency and went ringing through the woods. At this, Adalbert not only lost his strange fear, but also put down his weapons. And through the woods, a woman walked into the clearing. Despite the unnatural situation, Adalbert had been unable to help but marvel at her appearance, unlooked for in such a place.

She was tall, as he had recounted afterwards for many a time. A tall, towering maiden who walked towards him in powerful yet graceful strides, dressed in what seemed like linen and animal skins. Her hair was like made of molten gold, rippling ever softly as it would in faint breeze, yet there was no wind then. She wore some ornaments of gold on her body, common then with women of high birth. There was a thick band on her neck, and another spiral one on her arm, and two smaller ones on her wrist. The biggest of them all was a belt of gold, which she wore not on her waist, but right under her breasts. She also wore a stretch of wolf fur, tied around her hips.

She was also girt with a short sword, and on the other end, there was a horn adorned with gold. In her left hand, she held a spear that was longer than she was. And deadly enough to skewer a bear to its end. As she walked towards him, Adalbert stood transfixed, so much was he entranced by her beauty and majesty. She reached the spot where he stood and looked him in the eye. The air around her had been filled with her aroma, rich as the earth, clear as the waters, and cool as the north wind.

She spoke to him in clear ringing voice, “Do you fear me still?”

Adalbert gulped, and replied, “Only a part of me does. But it can also be that I am awed by your beauty and grace.”

She smiled at those words, and continued, “You have a way with words, Adalbert. I hope it is also with arms. I have watched you since you came into these woods. Tell me, what brought you to hunt in my land without my leave?”

As she had spoken these words, he eyes had flashed for a moment and hair rippled with more vigour. Adalbert again felt the fear coming up, as if he had been caught doing what he was not supposed to do. As he started to stammer an apology, she raised a hand to stop him.

“I am not wroth with you, for seldom does anyone come into my woods and if they do, they hunt or trespass without my leave. But your praise has appeased me, and not only will I help you keep your face with your tribe, I will also present you a gift.”

“A gift? The lady of this forest is more generous beyond any thoughts or words. And nothing would distract me from looking upon your majesty, for days and winters, but I have had no success with the hunt and must prepare to answer many taunts back home.”

“Do not despair, I will now fulfill my first promise to you. Prepare your bow and shoot wherever I command you too.”

Adalbert then made ready his bow, and loosed an arrow wherever she pointed with her finger. She first pointed northwards, then southwards and eastward, and finally towards the west. And Adalbert sent an arrow flying in each direction she pointed and heard a cry, as if it had hit its mark. She raised a hand again to signal him to stop.

“Well Adalbert, there is your hunt complete. And your humiliation by your tribe averted. But know this that it was your pride that took you in this situation, and it may again in the future. And I also know that you will forget these words more often. So try and control your pride as much as you can.”

Adalbert bowed and walked to the spot where he had sent his arrows. There he found that his arrows had indeed claimed a prize. These he dragged to the spot where the maiden still stood waiting. He bent a knee and bowed low to her, but unable to muster any words this time. She smiled again and picked her horn, saying, “And now for your gift.” Without any explanation, she put it to her lips and blew a third note.

Unlike the first two, this note sounded like a slow melodious music. It grew potent in its base as it progressed, and added with many ripples of sounds. But as it played, Adalbert felt himself inspired like he had never been before. He saw numerous images in his mind, all of glory and renown beyond reckoning. Then the note changed to a violent storm of ripples, and the images to that of strife and torment. Then finally the note changed to that of calm and one short blast before it was over.

Adalbert found himself kneeling on the ground, breathing deeply. Then he heard a cry echo through the wood, someone calling for his name. It was Clovis, who had followed the faint sounds of the horn. He looked in wonder at all the deer lying around him. Adalbert, guessing his thoughts, turned around to introduce him to the lady.

But she was gone.

Clovis, still bewildered, asked, “What happened here, and who blew the horn?”

Adalbert, who had understood what it meant, replied, “Not now, let us leave. We have stayed our welcome here. In time, I will tell you the full tale.”

The brothers departed from the forest with their hunt.’
    Last edited by m_1512; January 04, 2015 at 11:33 AM.

Good stuff M, the tale has certain mythological feel to it, as if it was some Germanic or Norse myth. I like it a lot, keep up the good work.

Blog Entries

Good stuff M, the tale has certain mythological feel to it, as if it was some Germanic or Norse myth. I like it a lot, keep up the good work.
    Thanks man, took a lot of time to write, this one. I am waiting for more comments on how people would like this to go forward before getting deep into the next chapter.

Great chapter! I like the moment when Adalbert stops to catch his breath and then the horn sounds - this is powerful writing with an appropriately legendary and heroic tone.

Just a couple of small suggestions: (1) "As you know that this tradition had been abandoned during the guarded peace" - for me, the sentence would flow better without 'that'; (2) "A sharp horn was blown, its blaring sound reverberating through the woods and mist. It was not a sharp blast...". As I see it, this description seems to argue with itself a bit - the horn was sharp but the blast wasn't - this distracted me slightly.

I like the vivid description of the ‘deep, throaty, blaring’ sound of the horn. Adalbert isn’t the only one who has a way with words! The description of the mysterious and beautiful woman is excellent – this drew me into the story and left me wanting to know what happens next. I also like the focus on a virtue (the need for Adalbert to control his pride). I wonder if other experiences in future will instruct him (or his brothers) in other virtues and/or develop his character in similar ways?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Great chapter! I like the moment when Adalbert stops to catch his breath and then the horn sounds - this is powerful writing with an appropriately legendary and heroic tone.

Just a couple of small suggestions: (1) "As you know that this tradition had been abandoned during the guarded peace" - for me, the sentence would flow better without 'that'; (2) "A sharp horn was blown, its blaring sound reverberating through the woods and mist. It was not a sharp blast...". As I see it, this description seems to argue with itself a bit - the horn was sharp but the blast wasn't - this distracted me slightly.

I like the vivid description of the ‘deep, throaty, blaring’ sound of the horn. Adalbert isn’t the only one who has a way with words! The description of the mysterious and beautiful woman is excellent – this drew me into the story and left me wanting to know what happens next. I also like the focus on a virtue (the need for Adalbert to control his pride). I wonder if other experiences in future will instruct him (or his brothers) in other virtues and/or develop his character in similar ways?
    Again, thanks so much for the kind words, and also the corrective feedback. I have edited the conflicting part in the second point, and some grammatical misses. The first one is intentional, as a part of the language of the narrator.

I have thought of the virtues that describes each character and also the importance they will play in the tale. So yes, you can expect more situations like this in future chapters.

Blog Entries

Poisoning of the Peace

‘And so the peace of the village poisoned, ere Baldovin was even aware of it. And although he had maintained a stern countenance during the feast after the hunt, he had smiled inside at the glory of his sons. But he also had a new lingering worry, which was the peace of the village. But he assuaged his worry, thinking that his sons would never gainsay his orders.

But the damage had been done, both elders and youth alike began muttering. The youth were aggravated by the opportunity for glory that they lost. For they had been so inclined to laugh at the brothers when they set out. The elders, on the other hand, were bitter of the success; for they had expected the boys to fail in the hunt. The peace of the village hung on a balance, and much depended on whether Adalbert would contain his pride.

Adalbert, on his part, kept his boasting to a minimum. Clovis had reasoned much with his brother, for he could sense that any further antagonising of the elders may be perilous. But it was nonetheless, a show. The brothers kept defying the leaguer, venturing out of the village bounds. And on one such small adventure, Adalbert finally got what he had been seeking for long.

They had been strolling one evening near the ancient path that lay outside the woods surrounding this village. They heard rough voices, having an argument. They hid in the bushes to listen in to the arguments. It seemed a vicious verbal brawl between two men.

“You are a fool! Why did you let them get away?” Said a man with an uncouth guttural voice, quite akin to that of a mean drunk.

“I have to tell you again, and yet again. That was an armed band that passed us by, with a score of men on horses. I know you had no brains, but is your sight failing too, you witless wyrm? Said the other man, and his voice was gruff and that of a hardened killer.

“And for my part, I knew you were big and stupid, but I never took you for a lily livered dog. It is no wonder no woman abides by you for long.”

“Ach! Look who speaks of women. A smelly grubby thief that knows only to prey on women who are alone and helpless.”

Adalbert looked at Clovis who mouthed the words ‘brigands’. The argument trailed off as the men passed them and walked into the woods on other side of the path. Once out of earshot, the two brothers thought long and hard at what they could do. Adalbert was all for following and a quick attack, but Clovis restrained him with reason, as was his wont.

He said, “Patience brother, there may be more of them. And it is just two of us, for Karl and Gerulf are far behind and cannot come to aid.”

Adalbert kicked a stone near his foot, “By Wotan! Are you suggesting running away from a fight, Clovis?”

“Not at all. But we are outnumbered and we do not yet know about their ways. I say we observe them and then seek a fight.”

“Very well, but not a word to anyone about what we saw today.”

The brothers trudged back to the village ere nightfall. The other two brothers they found outside their hut. The hut belonged to Adalbert, who lived there with his brothers after he had come of age. Gerulf was outside, preparing arrows from sticks of wood. Karl was seated inside, preparing himself for another night of ale by gulping away a pint at home first. He beckoned Gerulf inside and seated himself on a wooden seat near the fireplace.

He sat quiet for some time, taking generous swigs of ale, pondering upon some silent thought in his mind. Clovis sat on a chair with its back to the door. He took no drink but watched his older brother intensely. It was as if he feared some violent outburst. Karl had remained seated, facing Adalbert, and kept drinking his pint and not paid any attention to the scene. Gerulf had meanwhile found himself some smoked meat as he ate, seated on a chair near the fireplace.

Adalbert broke the silence.

“It is time. We need to break the lethargic mood our tribe lies in. And the opportunity is here; we will do it tomorrow.”

Clovis frowned, in a manner as if his worst fear had realized.

“And what you mean by that?”

Adalbert merely grunted, “Simply that we now have a chance. A chance of a good fight and much renown.”

Clovis shook his head, “They are nothing but a band of brigands, not warriors. At best, you will be thanked, but certainly not remembered.”

At the word ‘brigands’, Gerulf looked up with a small light in his eyes. Before Clovis could object further, he cut him off, “But brigands rob every man who passes them by, and so they would have wealth.”

Clovis looked at Karl for support, who merely kept drinking. At length, feeling everyone’s gaze on him, he spoke, “Wealth we could use, but do not need. And brigands are like sneaky thieves, they will run at the very sight of an armed band.”

Adalbert stood up; and it was then that he showed a change in his temperament. He towered above the brothers who sat on chairs, and no longer did he appear as a boastful youth. He now appeared as a chieftain; mighty and terrible to see. And the words that he then spoke, were as commands to his men.

“I never said about fighting them with an armed band, nor complaining them to our father as a child would. I know we can fight these men, be them a dozen brigands. What we need is to shock them with our attack.” Adalbert slammed his fist on the table at the last word.

“Gerulf! You will scout and observe these men, and tell me of their habits. Clovis! You will take a horde of our weapons and hide them under a good spot from where we will attack. Take as less weapons as possible on each errand, so you will not raise suspicion. Karl! You will give me company in the village. We will show ourselves and distract them from our brothers’ absence.”

The brothers sat in stunned silence. It was the first time they had seen their brother in this mood, but it would not be the last. Clovis, unable to object any further, gave a silent sigh in resignation. Gerulf smiled, his smile almost a smirk, finally confirming that supporting brother would serve his interests. Karl merely grunted in agreement, and went back to his ale.

The next day, the brothers started carrying out their plans. Gerulf started tracking the brigands and kept watching over them. Clovis started hiding the weapons under the same spot he and Adalbert had first spotted the brigands. And Karl and Adalbert went about the village, sometimes with their father as his hirdmen. And Baldovin was glad, for he truly thought they had finally come to terms with his will.

Little did he know of the events that would happen next and how his long labours would be shook under the trample. And this would be the most hateful act of his sons towards him, not of earning renown, but of putting him to shame in the process.’

Blog Entries

First Blood

‘The plan was ready, on the fourth day after it was formed. The brothers armed and hid themselves in the spot in the middle of the night. And they waited for dawn, when the robbers would pass through the path to take the loot to their lair. And they knew now where the layer was; Gerulf had done his part well.

The path lay a league or two west of their village. Their village bring but a settlement on a clearing encompassed by woods, their walk to the spot was unmarked. The path continued south for two leagues until it came to a crossing. Northward the path came from the land of the Cimbri people, westward it led to the heartland of the Frankish lands, and Southward to that of other less bold tribes. The path had formed naturally by the trudging of many feet and so was formed in imitation of a ravine between woods.

The lair of the brigands lay half a league south, on the other side of the path. A dozen brigands they were, all hardened outlaws from different tribes. The lair was a dell deep inside a hill, and as reported by Gerulf, protected by the stench that was enough to drive the boldest warrior away. Countless travellers they had looted and murdered, much gold and supplies they had stashed in their hole. And one warning would they need before they would disappear in their hole for a month.

An hour before the crack of dawn, they heard the sound of the brigands. It seemed that they had made a good loot in the night, at the cost of some poor trader. Adalbert stood rooted on the spot, rigid as a carven figure of stone. He silently unsheathed his spatha, nodding to his brothers to ready their weapons. The brigands passed them by, making a racket by their guttural way of speech. As they had walked some ten feet away from them, Adalbert stood and walked with a good pace that then became a run.

A great shout rent the air, “AIEEEE! Attack, by Wotan!” With that Adalbert leapt from a stone and came down upon a man, cleaving his skull with his sword clasped in both hands. On his right, Clovis had thrust his spear on another man’s throat, instantly putting him out of his misery. But on his left, another brigand was coming charging at him, and it nearly went ill with Adalbert. But Karl had come out of the woods, charging like a wild bull, he threw all his weight behind his large shield and rammed the man. The man flew and landed six feet away and before he could get up, Karl’s axe came down on him.

Gerulf then jumped into the fray and loosed his arrows, felling two men. One with a shot to the throat, and other to the eye and back. Adalbert meanwhile had found the chief of the brigands and strove with him, and Karl with another brute. The rest of the men were unable to help their chief due to Clovis’ skill with the spear and Gerulf raining arrows on them. Karl received a fist on his face, but he countered by a powerful kick, followed by his heavy axe coming down on the man’s head, breaking even the helm. Adalbert finished his opponent by a punch with his left fist, and running his sword through the man. The other two men fell at the same time, one shot with three arrows and the other skewered by the spear like a boar.

Seeing defeat, the last man turned and fled, intending towards the western path. Gerulf loosed two more arrows, one hitting him on the shoulder and the other on the thigh, but he kept his pace. Adalbert raised a hand to stop his brothers from pursuing.

“Let him flee! People should know of the bane that made these dogs flee.” Splattered with blood and panting from their fight, and raised their weapons high in the air. Flushed with their victory, they shouted praises to Wotan.

When done, they searched the lair; enduring the stench of rotting carcass of the animals they had hunted. Coming back to the spot where they fought, an argument now broke out about their next action. Gerulf was inclined to loot the robbers and their layer, but Clovis was revolted by the very idea. Karl meanwhile was searching through the fallen weapons, to see if there was anything worth taking as a souvenir. And Adalbert stood watching his brothers, growing impatient by the minute.

“So was our fighting in vain? I say we should take all the gold that they have. We would be like chiefs back at home.”

“We are sons of a chief, in case you have missed it. And that is the point, it is beneath us to take from the hoard of such vile men. I say we bury them in their lair and be off.”

“Vile grubby thieves they were too. Not a proper weapon that I can take as a prize. I wonder if all the looted was women lost in the woods.”

Adalbert sighed in exasperation and raised his voice, “Enough! All of you! Gerulf, you can take whatever loot these men here have on them. Leave the lair, we cannot carry all that. Clovis, leave the brigands here so people will know these paths are safe again. Karl, if you are not happy with the weapons, break them if you must, to leave your mark.”

Gerulf grinned, “A good compromise, brother. Here Karl, I’ll search the bodies and you can break their weapons.”

Adalbert did return the smile, but removed a small knife from his belt, “You do that. I must leave my mark too. Clovis can wait for us near the woods if he does not want to watch.” That said, he walked towards the fallen chief of the brigands.

Clovis did go to the woods, but glanced back every now and then. His face recoiling in horror as he saw what his brothers were doing. He gave a call again to them, hinting that they should reach the village before they are missed. And when they were all done, the brothers left for the village. Clovis hoping against hope that nothing untoward would come of this act.’

Scottish King's Avatar Campidoctor
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by m_1512 View Post
    Clovis hoping against hope that nothing untoward would come of this act.
    Probably means something will come of this! Its been awhile since I read this but I'm glad to still see it active. Adalbert and his brothers are coming along nicely as characters and I hope to see their continued growth. + rep
    The White Horse: Hanover AAR (On going ETW AAR)
    Tales of Acamar: Legends WS Yearly Award Best Plot Winner (On-going CW Piece)
    The Song of Asnurn: An Epic Poem MCWC VI Winner (On-hold CW Piece)
    Tales of Acamar: Outbreak (Finished)
    To Conquer the World for Islam A Moor AAR (Finished)

I just realised I missed these last two updates. This is definitely getting better with each update, these brothers seem a mischievous lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish King View Post
    Probably means something will come of this! Its been awhile since I read this but I'm glad to still see it active. Adalbert and his brothers are coming along nicely as characters and I hope to see their continued growth. + rep
    They are the main characters, but there's going to be loads of them as we are actually getting into the story. Thanks for the compliments.

I just realised I missed these last two updates. This is definitely getting better with each update, these brothers seem a mischievous lot.
    No problem, and thanks. I also have some other news about this too.

With the release of Attila, I played that game to see how it is and I am porting this to Attila AAR. And from that, this will finally have the portraits and maps and battle screens that I was advised to include.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast