Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A season of unfinished games?

Kraut and Tea's Avatar Campidoctor

Default A season of unfinished games?

I bought Assassins Creed Unity and Far Cry 4 during this fall.

Assassins Creed Unity is one enourmous disapointment. The game is either unfinished or was made worse on purpose to run on xbox one. Glitches Glitches Glitches Glitches mixed with Bugs Bugs Bugs Bugs and some more Bugs. In gameplay, cut sequences and other stuff. The controlls are worse than ever before, the character frequently jumps exactly where I didnt want him to jump. The new expirience system is not fleshed out well and the difficulty is absurd. I usualy have a problem with people who complain about a game being to hard but here it is different. The Assassins Creed series has been plagued from the very beginning with being far to easy. A suposed stealth game it played more like a third person slacher due to it`s simplistic combat system. There was almoust no stealth worth talking about in this game. And it seems like Ubi Soft suddently decided to make a stealth game. And those Stealth mechanics simply do not work out. People who playd Thief, Far Cry, Splinter Cell or metal gear will quickly notice that the developers seemd to have no clue how stealth works - since they have never developed a stealth game before. Some levels simply do not work. The guards are stationed and walk in paths that offer absolutly no hidding and sneaking options. The new more difficult combat options are welcomed but are essentialy useless, you lose when confronted with more than 3 enemies, but the broken stealth system will always confront you with a minimum of 5 enemies at once. In some levels it seems as if coop was inforced, there is absolutly no way of ever beating some coop levels alone. In the end, I stoped playing the game after 6 hours. I was simply disapointed and will wait for patches to come. Although I highly doubt that anything would make this game any good.

Far Cry 4 is awsome. Fundermentaly it is Far Cry 3 with better Graphics, more to do, more weapons, more animals, better story and a better map. But that really doesnt stand against this game. I spent hours roaming through an exciting open world. And then I downloaded a patch. After that my skill tree was broken and I was forced to start a new game in which I couldnt unlock my skills as quick anymore since the mission requirements were, not broken, but pushed up through a bug. Some of the early sidequests seem to no longer apear and to be broken. In total that was only a minor disturbance for me. I have a powerfull pc and was able to run this game at it`s best.
    but I cannot ignore the fact that the tech support forums are flooded with complaints. Technical issues have been even more for several people since the recent patch. Including what seems to be a fairly common black screen crash. In total, most of the Far Cry fan base seem to agree on forums that this game was also released unfinished. In a better state than others, but still unfinished.

Did you get some of the other big games of this fall? Assassins Cree Rouge? Halo Master Chief Colection? Dragon Age Inquisition? Can you tell if they were also released in an unfinished state?

Default Re: A season of unfinished games?

Dragon age Inquisition has a few minor bugs, but nothing game breaking. I heard that a day one patch fixed a number of issues so if you got it early then there might have been some problems.

I wouldn't say that this season is any worse than any other recently though, this is a problem that has been going on for some time. Assassins Creed Unity does seem like a particularly bad example but I raise you one Rome Total War 2!

Meelis13's Avatar You fight like a cow!
    Citizen

uh, you do know you made this topic in wrong section, right? this is for reviews only, you post discussion topics such as this in "other games" section
    Heidinn veor- dark age mod for M2TW now recruiting scripter/coder

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Not a review, moved to Other Games.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

Considering the very low number of players reviews for Far Cry 4 on the french website jeuxvideo.com, I guess the game has been a huge fail in sales.
    French commentaries for TW and RTS:http://www.youtube.com/user/leviath40

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

I thought Farcry 4 was amazing, apart from the fact it was probably a tiny bit too similar to Farcry 3 to justify full price. The only bug I had was a persistent texture flicker with certain trees, and they would sometimes pop in and out while next to me, not game breaking though.

Pagan Min is a better character than Vaas too, though both are excellent. The choices you make throughout really made the game feel a whole lot different and much more immersive.

A review I read sums it up nicely: "Far Cry 4 is more of what you'd expect, but that's not a bad thing"

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Unless you are paying full price.

($75 AUD ugh)

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

Well, I certainly think Destiny falls in this category as well. The combat mechanics and the setting were amazing, but their missions are some of the most repetitive in game history, as if they had to rush to the release and decided to just repeat the same mission and same enemies over and over again to save time. The story has to be among the worst in history, you have not idea who you are, why everything is happening and what it is all about. I would not be surprised if the real story was cut or toned down, because Activision demanded a release in September. I expected great things from Bungie, but they let me down completely.

It is not really a new problem this season, Battlefield 4 and Rome 2 are both examples of unfinished games, but it does appear to be more of a trend. Judging by the sales success of Destiny, I am concerned that this may happen more often in the future. As long as you manage to create a hype, the game will sell, whether it is unfinished or not.

AC Unity is indeed a bit of a let down, because of the bugs and the failure to properly utilize the setting in the story, but I do like it that they made the enemies harder to beat, it actually matters now if you have good or bad armor and weapons. Unfortunately most of these good armors and weapons are only available through coop, which is bugged.

I would also put Elite Dangerous, despite it being one of my dearest games. It is roughly at 50% of what it was supposed to be at launch.

Also some "early abuse" games like JA Flashback, Spacebase DF9.

AAA game devs can at least blame it on publisher pressure. These over-backed crowdfunded games have only bad project management to blame.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

I'd argue otherwsie about Unity, best AC yet.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by IlluminatiRex View Post
    I'd argue otherwsie about Unity, best AC yet.
    Except that it's horribly broken? That doesn't inherently make it a bad game, but it's impossible to judge it fairly while it is in its current state.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

IlluminatiRex's Avatar Are you on the square?
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    Except that it's horribly broken? That doesn't inherently make it a bad game, but it's impossible to judge it fairly while it is in its current state.
    tbh I haven't encountered any major bugs and my FPS has certainly been playable (30-35). Not denying that others aren't having issues (and I'd love more optimization), but from my experiences it's pretty damn good.
    I am the author of the "Weaker Towers" and "Officers Of" series of mods for Total War: Warhammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Holmes
    One of the problems with trying to write about the First World War is that most people have already read Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon, Pat Barker and Sebastian Faulks before you get to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Fisher
    Can the Army win the war before the Navy loses it?

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post
    I would also put Elite Dangerous, despite it being one of my dearest games. It is roughly at 50% of what it was supposed to be at launch.
    That's not really fair. ED is still in beta . It hasn't been released yet.

Comes Domesticorum

Dragon Age Inquisition has been just fine for me, but I'm running it at low settings.

I stopped buying games brand new on release day ever since last years screw ups (BF4, RTW2, SimCity). Im glad I didnt end up buying any new games this year until it was on sale or if my friends told me to buy it. Destiny ill say isnt really "broken" its just not fully developed. The story has the potential to be amazing, but the whole rushing thing ruined the game. I feel like we are starting to approach a important moment in game making where publishers start to realize that people are getting sick of their .
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by The Germans are coming View Post
    Halo Master Chief Colection?
    Definitely not on this list. This was just a re-release of 4 previously released games on a new platform. The only thing new was Halo 2 Anniversary, which is just a GFX and SFX overhaul. It was certainly "finished."

In fact, I'd go as far as to highly recommend it if you own an XBOne: Halo 2's Multiplayer makes it more than worthwhile. Not to mention the Anniversary GFX and gorgeous soundtrack.

It's four games plus free beta access for the price of one.

Maybe those game developers are purposely doing this to combat piracy. Seriously have you heard that pirated games doesn't have FOV or something?? Like its purposely make this design in there game.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

No, devs don't purposefully remove FOV sliders, it was one case where an early version of Far Cry 4 was pirated which didn't have a FOV slider because it hadn't been integrated yet. Patches later added it to the game for players who bought it, but pirates obviously didn't download the patch and so they didn't have one.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Musthavename's Avatar Bunneh Ressurection
    Somewhere in the room you're currently in.

Unfortunately, I think a large part of this recent trend of buggy releases is that we're in the run up to Christmas and there's big deadlines to meet. It's more costly for them to delay the release than it is to just release it buggy. That said, this always happens and some publishers/developers are just worse than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    Definitely not on this list. This was just a re-release of 4 previously released games on a new platform. The only thing new was Halo 2 Anniversary, which is just a GFX and SFX overhaul. It was certainly "finished."
    It's not that he's referring to when he says it's incomplete. My friend has had the game since release. His experiences:

- Online matchmaking just didn't work for a good week.
    - We tried playing split-screen four player for the game to repeatedly crash after a few minutes.
    - Some of his achievements don't work when they should.

I'm not knocking the game itself when it works, it's great fun, but it's far from polished and does have a considerable number of bugs.
    Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of the day.
    Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I do miss the times when practicly all developers where still passionate about their games and it was not just project number 232 or such. Each game mattered and was not just one in a long line of bland sequels. Sure, money was involved. It always has been. But the goal was more to deliver a great game, developers making their own dream game come true.

That passion is missing these days, for the most part. Its only few triple A developers that still have it. Most just seem to look for the best way to make easy money. Too concerned about target audiences, stockholders and all that instead of the actual game and what they want to do with it. It's too much baggage. No one can work to their best ability under those circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast