Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Total War: ATTILA - Pre-Order & Release Date and Special Edition Announcement

texoman81's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Total War: ATTILA - Pre-Order & Release Date and Special Edition Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I don't think so. He claimed about Greek city states DLC. The link is concerning the Camel Cataphracts and DLCs in general. The link actually has CA pointing out that units for DLCs are often based on content that was made before the release that they didn't like much (which were improved later on). Your link pretty much proves him wrong. Thanks for that.
    Actually i said it about all DLC and the camels (in BoW) was one of the examples i used. Much that has been included in DLC was discovered to have been in the game files the whole time, just not used. Others were spotted in pre-alpha footage. It doesn't prove me wrong it was part of my argument, much of all the DLC content is cut content. If you want all the playable factions for R2 it will not cost about $73 in addition to the price of the game. I'm sure they come up with some new units too, and combine that with scraps and things they haven't been used yet to try to get more money. The way you are describing it, it is STILL cut content. True expansion are addiction content created separately from the main game after you finishing it. Not dividing up the original game and making up by it faction by faction and unit by unit. We are paying to use what is already there and just locked, cut, or not being used and not for new content.

Now there was also conversation before the release as to why Pontus, Athens, Sparta and Epirus were not just included in the base game and why were they DLC at all. When they are announced well before the game was released, they could have just been implemented into the game. Especially Pontus since they weren't even charging extra for it and you would get it day one no matter what. This not only angered some because they were using cut content for DLC, it also confused others that weren't sure what they would be getting for the price they paid. Was Pontus only "free" if you pre-order or if you bought the DLC or did you get it regardless? During that conversation, CA used the excuse that content has already been set before they came up with the Greek factions so they had to be handled separately. What other possibly reason could you even give to make Pontus Day 1 Free DLC instead of just saying the game has 9 playable factions at launch? As i said before what i'll say now is the DLC for BI2 seem to be the same as it was for R2, make of that what you will. If you liked the release and the way CA handled R2, then you'll love BI2. If you didn't like the way R2 was handled....well you might want to say away from BI2, at least initially, as well. A year after release, SOME people are happy with R2. Maybe a year after release BI2 will be worth the money when it has been finished and is on sale. I"m not going to let Setekh draw me into a endless debate with no end like he always does. I've had this same conversation over a year ago, peoples opinions on it will different and i feel no need to rehash it or try to convince anyone to share my opinion on it. I have explained my opinion on it and feel no need to respond further.
    Last edited by texoman81; November 24, 2014 at 03:33 PM.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Total War: ATTILA - Pre-Order & Release Date and Special Edition Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Doe3000 View Post
    I, like you and Sharpe, really due hope they add the Romano-Britons/ Britons/ 'Celtic' Britons/ Brythons/ Combrogi (whatever you want to call them) into Attila.
    We gotta have King Arthur lolol

SenseiJT92's Avatar Decanus

LMAO - will I be pre-ordering another game from CA. I learned my lesson after the excuse for a AAA title that was Rome 2.

NO CA, I WILL NOT FALL FOR YOU PATHETIC MARKETING TRICKS - 'pre-order bonus'. HOW ABOUT YOU FIX ROME 2, WHICH IS STILL​ BROKEN.
    Previously taylorj2, Allu X, Grandmaster Ryu, Dauntless Commandant & Sensei Kiisu

Creator of the "Perfectly Polished" sub-mod for Stainless Steel (M2:TW), contributing to LOTR:TW (R:TW) and many other modifications over time, now long-forgotten

Original join date, Feb 2007.

I dont think ill be buying this day one, which is sad because I have bought every single total war game launch day (except shogun 2, because I wasnt in America). That RTW2 launch completely ruined any trust I have in this company when it comes to a quality launch. I sincerely hope that CA learned its lesson with RTW2 and that the Atilla launch goes off without a hitch, but I wont hold my breath. Meanwhile I'll wait to see what everybody else says about the game before I buy it. (Which ive never done)
    Any Veterans of the Afghanistan/Iraq wars join my group. Im trying to get a Veterans group started on here.

BalrogOfMorgoth's Avatar Decanus

Oh great, a historical innacurate overpriced Day 1 DLC for a extention of a broken game coming in 3 months.

And people will fall for this. Completely disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    We gotta have King Arthur lolol
    You mean Ambrosius Aurelianus?

Quote Originally Posted by texoman81 View Post
    Actually i said it about all DLC and the camels (in BoW) was one of the examples i used. Much that has been included in DLC was discovered to have been in the game files the whole time, just not used. Others were spotted in pre-alpha footage. It doesn't prove me wrong it was part of my argument, much of all the DLC content is cut content. If you want all the playable factions for R2 it will not cost about $73 in addition to the price of the game. I'm sure they come up with some new units too, and combine that with scraps and things they haven't been used yet to try to get more money. The way you are describing it, it is STILL cut content. True expansion are addiction content created separately from the main game after you finishing it. Not dividing up the original game and making up by it faction by faction and unit by unit. We are paying to use what is already there and just locked, cut, or not being used and not for new content.

Now there was also conversation before the release as to why Pontus, Athens, Sparta and Epirus were not just included in the base game and why were they DLC at all. When they are announced well before the game was released, they could have just been implemented into the game. Especially Pontus since they weren't even charging extra for it and you would get it day one no matter what. This not only angered some because they were using cut content for DLC, it also confused others that weren't sure what they would be getting for the price they paid. Was Pontus only "free" if you pre-order or if you bought the DLC or did you get it regardless? During that conversation, CA used the excuse that content has already been set before they came up with the Greek factions so they had to be handled separately. What other possibly reason could you even give to make Pontus Day 1 Free DLC instead of just saying the game has 9 playable factions at launch? As i said before what i'll say now is the DLC for BI2 seem to be the same as it was for R2, make of that what you will. If you liked the release and the way CA handled R2, then you'll love BI2. If you didn't like the way R2 was handled....well you might want to say away from BI2, at least initially, as well. A year after release, SOME people are happy with R2. Maybe a year after release BI2 will be worth the money when it has been finished and is on sale. I"m not going to let Setekh draw me into a endless debate with no end like he always does. I've had this same conversation over a year ago, peoples opinions on it will different and i feel no need to rehash it or try to convince anyone to share my opinion on it. I have explained my opinion on it and feel no need to respond further.
    I don't know how it doesn't prove you wrong when we have direct statements from CA pointing out that DLCs contain content that was created before the launch of the game when you yourself claimed that CA claimed to have created DLC content completely after the game was finished, hence, the need for giving it separately. Though, I see that you're changing that position partially. An improvement perhaps...

It's nonetheless pointless and simply emotional argument to claim that DLC's are cut content. Cut content means that these factions were supposed to be part of the game. They're not. They don't make up essential parts of the game. If you're buying a car and you have to pay extra for an engine that would be cut content. Larger engine option with a higher price is not a cut content. CA decides what content the base game will have. Anything on top of that is not cut content but extra content. Going on and on about DLCs, which pretty much borders at libel, to release some steam off just because you didn't like the game in general doesn't make up a valid or even good argument.

This Vikings package is similarly an incentive package to push people to pre-order. Otherwise, it's a package designed among many other such packages to sell extra content for the game. It's how the gaming industry is moving in general. However, for games like Total War, it's much more worthy. You pay 60 bucks for a copy paste game like Call of Duty. If we based prices on the amount of content a game provides Total War would be as high as 200 bucks.
    The Armenian Issue

The Roman Republic's Avatar Alea iacta est
    Citizen Content Emeritus

How to destroy a franchise? Content reduced into DLCs, bugs, and pre-order bonuses.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

CA, really?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Quote Originally Posted by Setekh View Post
    I don't know how it doesn't prove you wrong when we have direct statements from CA pointing out that DLCs contain content that was created before the launch of the game when you yourself claimed that CA claimed to have created DLC content completely after the game was finished, hence, the need for giving it separately. Though, I see that you're changing that position partially. An improvement perhaps...

It's nonetheless pointless and simply emotional argument to claim that DLC's are cut content. Cut content means that these factions were supposed to be part of the game. They're not. They don't make up essential parts of the game. If you're buying a car and you have to pay extra for an engine that would be cut content. Larger engine option with a higher price is not a cut content. CA decides what content the base game will have. Anything on top of that is not cut content but extra content. Going on and on about DLCs, which pretty much borders at libel, to release some steam off just because you didn't like the game in general doesn't make up a valid or even good argument.

This Vikings package is similarly an incentive package to push people to pre-order. Otherwise, it's a package designed among many other such packages to sell extra content for the game. It's how the gaming industry is moving in general. However, for games like Total War, it's much more worthy. You pay 60 bucks for a copy paste game like Call of Duty. If we based prices on the amount of content a game provides Total War would be as high as 200 bucks.
    You can easily call it cut content, and CA has the right to cut the content into as many pieces as they want. Saying it "wasn't intended" into the game implies it took alot of rejiggering of the code to get those factions in, which is probably not true. This goes for Cimmeria, Ardaei, bla bla, these factions were "intended" to be purchased, as well as possibly made and nearly completed in 2012. These Norse factions were probably completely done months ago. The rub here is CA and most big companies can't say they want people to pay more than the regular full price, they want more, because game development prices have gone up, and/or executives want more money.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Holy less than three months.

Quote Originally Posted by WoollyMammoth View Post
    Instead of pre-ordering (the bonus DLC), I'll wait about a year for the game to be patched, then pick both the game and DLC up on sale (if I buy it all), and save more money that way. Save money and needless frustration.

Thanks for the announcement though. The current offer is not interesting at all, and of no value to me. Way overpriced for what is basically an expansion for Rome II (and of which none of the things will be backported).
    This announcement has not convinced me to pre-order, if anything it has turned me off from the game. Just some feedback to your marketing and communication team.
    I will do exactly the same thing. Pre order DLC is bad and CA should feel bad.

I do not think that preorder dlc is a bad thing. I rather think that it is bad to have a bad game to pre order, something you do not know, and at the same time you are tempted to buy the whole thing with the preorder dlc. But what if the game was great at reléase, those dlc would be a wonderful addition. So it is not a problem of the dlc for me but of the main game.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

we need a video showing off the UI + features!!! something up to date!
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Quote Originally Posted by Bethencourt View Post
    I do not think that preorder dlc is a bad thing. I rather think that it is bad to have a bad game to pre order, something you do not know, and at the same time you are tempted to buy the whole thing with the preorder dlc. But what if the game was great at reléase, those dlc would be a wonderful addition. So it is not a problem of the dlc for me but of the main game.
    I don't like pre-order DLC but i will deal with it if the game itself and the dlc is good. Even without any proof, I think most assumed they were probably using cut content for DLC. I think its more their reaction when they were caught that annoyed me, and how bad the game itself was. If they created a new TW game that i actually enjoyed playing again, how much they charge and how they do it would be a very minor point for me. It bothers me to have paid so much for a game that is still very flawed but i would gladly spend that amount and more for a well made game. If the next game (well if there is another one) is on a new engine with all the core features of the series and is fully moddable, i'll likely give CA as much money as they are asking for and buy every DLC they put out for it. The quality of the DLC is very important too, but not so much when they actually created it. As long as we are clear on what we are getting for the amount of money being asked for with each release. I'm not impressed with Bi2 or its DLC so far.

Too late. I've already pre ordered. $45.00 Australian is a good price (Rome 2 was $80.00 at release) and those viking forefathers swayed me in a way I haven't been swayed in a long time. Greek Culture pack, yeah ok. Viking Forefather pack, YEAH. OK.

Sharpe's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    Too late. I've already pre ordered. $45.00 Australian is a good price (Rome 2 was $80.00 at release) and those viking forefathers swayed me in a way I haven't been swayed in a long time. Greek Culture pack, yeah ok. Viking Forefather pack, YEAH. OK.
    Is it really almost half the price?

Not in most of the world. Australians were overcharged for Rome II, and as i understand it for many games. It is about 75% of R2 for most.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Check this post.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14222278
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius

That's what it is on Steam. Pleasant surprise. I was expecting it to be similar to Rome 2 in price. Plus we get Vikings for free. Mmmmmmmmm, Vikings.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast