Thread: Rohan, Riddermark Cavalry

Doomsday's Avatar Civis

Default Rohan, Riddermark Cavalry

So, with the upcoming release of DoM, this could soon be outdated, however, in the New Shadow, I've found Riddermark Spears to be underwhelming. If I charge a (fairly average) army of Dunlendings, I find any single unit of Riddermark Spears loses a lot of men for little profit. When going towards the enemy, archers will take 5 or 6 of my men (on ultra unit settings). On hitting the enemy I'll lose maybe another 10, only once have an enemy unit broken on being charged by my cavalry, otherwise I'm choosing between letting my men remain in melee, losing men at an incredibly fast rate now, or retreating to charge again, losing another 20 or so as throwing spears and arrows catch them from behind. So, if my men remain in the melee, they'll be useless for another battle, whilst if i withdraw to charge again, I find that a second or third such charge reduces them to such an extent they also become fairly useless.
    I don't have such an issue with the Riders of the Mark, who I've found to be almost as effective in the charge and far superior in the melee, with increased arrow resistance due to their shields. Do other players find this? Presumably I'm not using them in quite the way they're intended, however I've never had a problem in the original Rome or other mods for Rome/BI/Alexander, just as I don't have an issue with other factions (in the New Shadow) elite cavalry.
    Aymez Loyaulté

Thangaror's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Rohan, Riddermark Cavalry

It's only natural that the Riddermarks take more casualties than the RotM. It's the trade off for their higher attack and charge values.
    Although they're arguably the best cavalry in TNS, they really shouldn't be used in a headlong charge (except against the crappiest of crappy units), in fact, never order a headlong charge for your cavalry if you can avoid it. If you've RotM in your armies anyway, put them in the centre of your formation and let them draw attention of the enemy, while your Riddermarks take position at the flanks and the rear. Use less expensive units, like Riders of Rohan as a meatshield and let them do most of the missile fighting (including taking the enemies missiles).

Also take advantage of your units' speed. Feign a charge with your RotM, make them stop dead, and turn just before they hit the enemy and let your Riddermarks charge from behind at the right moment. This is tedious, but worthwhile.
    There's pretty much nothing you can do against javelins though, and RK's Longbowmen are a real PITA.
    I would rather have a memory that is fair but unfinished than one that goes on to a grievous end.

I would tend to disagree. I think almost all of the units in the game have uses it's finding that niche...... Riddermark spears are the lowest tier unit so they do have trade offs againt heavier units as Thangaror said but they can be put to good use even in a battle charge. I have found sending them directly ahead of a heavy battle charge engages the enemy....they will take losses, yes, but when the second wave hits I have found few enemy units hold fast. Less of a 'hammer and anvil' and more of a 'hammer and hammer' tactic! In addition they are very fast, for those last minute battle changes/developments or flanking exercises.

** I also meant to add that they can usually be re-trained at almost any settlement meaning you can penetrate deeper with one army and reserve your heavy units which would take dozens of turns( in a captured settlement )to re-train instead of just a few. This way you army remains largely in tact for much longer.***

Doomsday's Avatar Civis

Riddermark spears are the lowest tier unit so they do have trade offs againt heavier units
    Riddermark Spears are the top tier cavalry for Rohan. They cost more to recruit and maintain than any other cavalry unit that the Rohirrim can train. The only unit that comes close to them is the Riders of the Mark, who have slightly worse stats and are cheaper, but can be recruited in more places and have shields, unlike the Riddermark Spears. Riders of the Mark can also upgrade their weapons at smithy.
    Thangaror, you make a good point, I do have a tendency to bulldoze my way through the front of an enemy's line, I'll see how they fare when attacking an enemy from behind.
    Aymez Loyaulté

Apologies i must be think of Rohan spears. I have never really know the top tier units to take heavy losses. I can only think of elite spear and some elite sword unit able to inflict heavy losses. To be honest i find little difference between the two top tier units for Rohan but this may just be on how i have been using them in battle.

It is definitely the best tactic, when you have no infantry, to charge simultaneously from multiple sides. Never let your spear equipped riders remain engaged with am unbroken unit, but have multiple units continuously charge and retreat from multiple angles so that the enemy unit is always reacting to one of your charges and cannot take the time to let off a salvo. Also, try to make use of the infantry bodyguard unit you can produce at Helm's Deep, they will have equivalent, or near, moment points to your mounted units, so they will not slow you down, and just a few good infantry units can really make things easier for you on the battlefield.