Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [General Discussion] Telltale's Game of Thrones Game

Default Re: [General Discussion] Telltale's Game of Thrones Game

I agree that the story has potential, thats why I said people should watch it on you tube. I know it's difficult to impossible to make the choices Really matter I dunno somehow the walking dead game pulled of the presentation or something. Maybe its that I knew that no matter what the game wouldn't let me just shoot Ramsey from the wall with crossbows and try to hold out like house blackwood or whichever it was in the book. Walking dead had all new characters who didn't necessarily come with plot armor right off the bat, perhaps that was the difference.

Laetus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

If it weren't for the ephemeralness, I'd give the game 8/10; but considering how infuriatingly short it is, I give it 2/10. This episodic content is a ripoff. They should either make a whole game, or if they just don't want to get rid of the episodes, make it so that one episode has twice the length of all five put together. Only then would it be worth it. The state it is in now is risible. I sat down to play a game and it took me less to finish it than to watch an actual episode.

And before someone jumps in to defend it saying how hard it is to make a branched story-line in a video game, I have something to tell you. The multiple choice thing is just a facade. You don't really have much choice in the game, and none in the main outcome. Telltale present you with an illusion of choice, and they cash out with this five minute stroll (hyperbole) of a game. What they are doing is insulting and the company should be boycotted.

Can someone explain me how i can play it on my ps3 ?
    Because i think there is no/there will be no extra game to buy in stores.
    Am i right ?

Silenced Ape's Avatar Vicarius

Suppose your right Kekec, there was no way at all that any person could have not killed Kenny in the last Walking dead episode. *Sarcasm*

The episodes serves its purpose.... If you want, you could wait until all the episodes are released and then play all of them in a row. Idk about the rest who plays Telltale games, but I certainly want to play a game once in a while over a period of 6 months instead of doing all of it in the matter of days.
    You don't judge a book by its first chapter.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Kekec View Post
    If it weren't for the ephemeralness, I'd give the game 8/10; but considering how infuriatingly short it is, I give it 2/10. This episodic content is a ripoff. They should either make a whole game, or if they just don't want to get rid of the episodes, make it so that one episode has twice the length of all five put together. Only then would it be worth it. The state it is in now is risible. I sat down to play a game and it took me less to finish it than to watch an actual episode.

And before someone jumps in to defend it saying how hard it is to make a branched story-line in a video game, I have something to tell you. The multiple choice thing is just a facade. You don't really have much choice in the game, and none in the main outcome. Telltale present you with an illusion of choice, and they cash out with this five minute stroll (hyperbole) of a game. What they are doing is insulting and the company should be boycotted.
    If they were marketing a 100 hour Skyrim experience they would have changed you $60 for it. Instead you're paying (at most) $30 for a 12 hour game (which is about what you pay for a 10 hour season of GoT). It is true that Telltale does rarely give you "actual" choices, but that is because making a good game with those choices is essentially impossibly (see my earlier post). If you don't think it's worth it then fine, but please try actually making a game before you go around calling other developers lazy and calling on them to be boycotted.

Laetus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    If you don't think it's worth it then fine, but please try actually making a game before you go around calling other developers lazy and calling on them to be boycotted.
    This lame argument has taken over the world. Everyone uses this false logic for some, to me, incomprehensible reason. I will never make a video game. I am not a game developer. I am a teacher. And if the parents are dissatisfied with my teaching methods, my first impulse will not be to dismiss them with something inane as what you just said. "Hey, idiot parent, if you never taught a class then you have no right meddling in what I do with your child."

Let me explain the analogy: teaching methods=game development and child=money. So, I expect some standards from a game if I'm to give them my money, just as parents expect some standards when they entrust their children to me.

Please refrain from using such an argument in the future. And spread the word of truth. Stop others from making the same mistake. It is an invalid argument. We all do what we do, and if someone is not satisfied with us, we should not blame them, but seek to better ourselves. Spread the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekec View Post
    This lame argument has taken over the world. Everyone uses this false logic for some, to me, incomprehensible reason. I will never make a video game. I am not a game developer. I am a teacher. And if the parents are dissatisfied with my teaching methods, my first impulse will not be to dismiss them with something inane as what you just said. "Hey, idiot parent, if you never taught a class then you have no right meddling in what I do with your child."

Let me explain the analogy: teaching methods=game development and child=money. So, I expect some standards from a game if I'm to give them my money, just as parents expect some standards when they entrust their children to me.

Please refrain from using such an argument in the future. And spread the word of truth. Stop others from making the same mistake. It is an invalid argument. We all do what we do, and if someone is not satisfied with us, we should not blame them, but seek to better ourselves. Spread the truth.
    With Telltale games, they are making a project with a vastly smaller budget than any AAA games. Therefore, the project is going to have a smaller scope (and a lower price) as a result. To imply that they were somehow capable of creating a fully branching narrative with these resources is equivalent to saying that (to use a metaphor you will understand) a 5 minute lecture from a decent teacher will prepare a 5th grader to write a Master's Thesis on Hamlet. If you had worked on a game (or had bothered to read my earlier comments) you would know this already.

If you feel that the end result isn't worth $30 then fine, don't buy their game. But to call on others to boycott them simply because you don't like lower-budget games is absurd.

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Just beat it, and I'm not entirely sure what to think. Certainly enjoyable, but as far as Telltale episodes go, they have some work to do get ranked up there for me. I'm too tired to really say more at the moment :o

Episode 2 is now avaliable!!!!

Episode 2 is up on my channel for those interested. Grab some popcorn and enjoy...

Is there a way to get the marriage without bothering your betters in Kings Landing?

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    Is there a way to get the marriage without bothering your betters in Kings Landing?
    Give the ironwood, es love ironwood.

I like the song in the end of this. This game is unpredictable somtimes.

Quote Originally Posted by hackera96 View Post
    Give the ironwood, es love ironwood.
    Yeah I saw Soul do it. Last time I take advice from my mom.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    Yeah I saw Soul do it. Last time I take advice from my mom.
    It's a well known fact all mothers do is lie and deceit.

No wait that's monsters isn't it. Or is it monster mothers? Or mormons, I can never separate the three.
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mhaedros View Post
    It's a well known fact all mothers do is lie and deceit.

No wait that's monsters isn't it. Or is it monster mothers? Or mormons, I can never separate the three.
    I always thought that was Mhaedroses!

OK, I was pretty forgiving of Episode 1 on the grounds that it looked to be building up to a larger whole, but after Episode 2 I'm not so sure. To be clear, I still enjoyed playing it, but I think it is also looking like more of a disappointment.

Basically, it seems like they aren't willing to fully commit to making an actual Game of Thrones game, instead opting for a more mainstream fantasy adventure with a bit more gore and intrigue thrown in. The complete lack of nudity isn't really a problem in itself, but it just makes this feel more and more like PG-13 Robocop. Another issue is that the villains all seem to be bloviating a$$holes (Lord Whitehill in particular). Again, this wouldn't be a problem with most adventure games, but with Game of Thrones one expects a few more layers to the characters involved (even Joffrey and the Bastard of Bolton have some layers).

I'm also not a big fan of the spunky female sellsword they introduced. Sure, they resisted the temptation to make her super hot, but it still feels out of place in the Ice and Fire universe. If you want to have a bada$$ woman that's totally fine (I'm a big Brianne fan when she isn't on her AFFC road trip to nowhere), but at least address/explain it. I love it when movies like Frozen impose modern values on fantasy universes because those are more a reflection of the times we live in now, and they send a good message to children. However, if you're going for a more "realistic" interpretation of the time period then you can't just throw a snarky badass action girl in with a bunch of sellswords and expect us to buy it without at least some explanation.

Another thing that really bugs me is how some dude was lying unconscious in a corpse cart for months while going from the Twins to Ironwrath, without dying of starvation/dehydration/etc. Sure it's not a huge deal, but how hard would it have been to have him wake up in the south and then make his way back north?

Finally, would Tyrion really take an interest in helping out one of Margery's handmaidens? I like where they seem to be taking her story (building up a network of informants, learning to play the game, etc), and I get that Tyrion is everyone's favorite character, but I hope he has some motive to be helping her outside of an extended cameo. Recall this is the Tyrion who's only problem with murdering a couple of toddlers was that they didn't just let Robert do it. Sure, the show has made him more of a "good guy", but even there he's hardly altruistic unless it suites his purposes.

Still, there are some things I liked. That guard trying to stab you in KL was pretty cool (seems like the sort of dumb thing Cersie would do). Plus all the intrigue around getting hold of an army seems like it could be going somewhere good, but we'll have to wait and see. Either way, I think that Telltale continued the show's trend of, not "dumbing-down", but "mainstreaming" the source material, and I think they've taken it too far.

Oh well, hopefully Tales from the Borderlands stays good...

I think your over thinking everything. That's my job...
    It has it's faults like Rodrik somehow surviving a months trip from the Twins to the Wolfswood without food, water... or breathing. Then (and i always had issue with this) how the Queen takes notice of a girl from a minor noble house who cannot possibly speak for her family, hell how the did she end up as hand maiden for one of the Lord Paramounts? Then the game (it's done this twice now) forces me into situations that i know should be avoided; Ramsay with Ethan + The deal with Tyrion. It's still fun however and i have no interest in Tales of the Borderlands what so ever. Certainly worth the cost of the game.

The majority of my complaints are due to them driving towards a certain predetermined ending. I understand this necessary evil but still with i had more freedom with my choices.

My hope is that they clearly lay out that some Forester started the whole thing and that while both sides are wrong, the Whitehills were in the right at some point.
    I never really had a problem with the female sellsword except that her scars look like she glued them onto her face. As for Roderick surviving in the cart, its unreal but how long was he really there? Didn't it take King Robert, with royal convoy and frequent hunting parties, one month to make it to Winterfell from Kings Landing after Ned got the news? Taking into account that Iron Wrath is a little farther, I doubt it could have taken more than a couple weeks to get there with one person and a cart. HE COULD SURVIVE OFF OF RAINWATER AND GRUBS IN HIS MOUTH!!!!

Jokes aside, my biggest complaint is that you're supposed to know people, but the game doesn't really let you know what those relationships are.
    Roderick and Eleana: Betrothed but no idea if you two liked each other or even actually met before your meeting. Simply 'follow through with the betrothal'.
    Mira and Sara(?): I don't know what kind of relationship we had before this. We we bffls? Did I shy away from the southern handmaidens?
    Roderick and the Whitehill girl: I know that Asher says that his siblings weren't at fault, but what DID Roderick thing? He is older than Asher and definitely had some opinions when that happened.

The only relationship they establish is Talisa and Ethan being really close because of the whole twins thing. I'm definitely down for them letting you change those relationships, like dealing with the Whitehill girl because she seems reasonable, but without prior context it makes dealing with 'new' characters awkward because I have no idea what's expected and what's completely out of the blue. Obviously this gets easier as the episodes go on and they no longer need to introduce new characters as much, but there are clear past relationships that you just have to guess at.

Rodrik and Eleana's relationship was quite clearly good. They were good friends and she was looking forward to getting married.
    Mira and Sara were clearly friends but you as the player had the choice of picking how close you really were. Rodrik and the Whitehill girl is again very much up to the players choice.