Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [General Discussion] Telltale's Game of Thrones Game

Default Re: [General Discussion] Telltale's Game of Thrones Game

It seems unavoidable...
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I invited him into my hall, treated him with respect, made the Forresters seem a better choice than the Whitehills, bent the knee and offered him the ironwood. Basically kissing his arse up until the question about Justice where there dose not seem to be a single good option. I'd have said "That is correct my lord. The fool responsible was given a choice between the noose or the wall, i only regret Lord Whitehill was not present to witness his justice." The only options however all seem to push Ramsays button. Maybe if i let Ramsay take my sister and kept my mouth shut? I just couldn't do that however.

I'd give the game 8.5/10. My only complaint would be certain (1 or 2) options forcing me to say things i knew would get me in trouble, but that's Telltale for you and i cant judge them too harshly for it.

Just uploaded Episode 1 for anyone that's interested. Grab some popcorn and enjoy...

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Soo, just finished it, and i really enjoyed this game . Good story, characters, and harsh decisions as Telltale always gives us. I cant complain about graphic, beacuse my PC almost didnt handle it .Many of things have surprised me , especially that one in the end...

It seems we will see more characters from TV show in next episodes

I have enjoyed every Telltale game I have played so far: Back To The Future The Game, The Walking Dead Season 1 & Season 2, The Wolf Among Us + Episode 1 of Tales From The Borderlands (which is imo the best season premiere from them so far) and now Game Of Thrones. Awesome episode, aside from some animation glitches and unnecessary info that we are at The Red Wedding. Players who don't know anything about ASOIAF won't understand it anyway, and we who do know, we already know where we are just by looking at Frey soldiers and one of The Twin towers. The ending was brutal, but we know we won't really do anything to Ramsay as he is an original cast member and book character. All else was fun.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    It seems unavoidable...
    I believe Ethan dies no matter what you do.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Sky45 View Post
    I have enjoyed every Telltale game I have played so far: Back To The Future The Game, The Walking Dead Season 1 & Season 2, The Wolf Among Us + Episode 1 of Tales From The Borderlands (which is imo the best season premiere from them so far) and now Game Of Thrones. Awesome episode, aside from some animation glitches and unnecessary info that we are at The Red Wedding. Players who don't know anything about ASOIAF won't understand it anyway, and we who do know, we already know where we are just by looking at Frey soldiers and one of The Twin towers. The ending was brutal, but we know we won't really do anything to Ramsay as he is an original cast member and book character. All else was fun.
    I wouldn't be so sure, Telltale isn't too afraid to break from cannon.

Quote Originally Posted by What is Dead May Never Die View Post
    I wouldn't be so sure, Telltale isn't too afraid to break from cannon.
    There is a major difference between braking the 'canon' of a comic/game and braking the canon on a book series. They wont be killing off characters that are alive in the books, it'll just never happen lol.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

There is a major difference between braking the 'canon' of a comic/game and braking the canon on a book series. They wont be killing off characters that are alive in the books, it'll just never happen lol.
    They have killed off a couple (legit spoiler):

Payat Pree
    Xaro
    That one bloodrider who got beheaded
    Robb's wife (different charecter, but one's now dead)
    Stoneheart seems like she'll stay dead

Though I agree that they probably won't contradict the show's cannon.
    Last edited by AdmiralThrawn; December 05, 2014 at 01:48 AM.

Riverknight's Avatar Last of the Romans

Quote Originally Posted by Silenced Ape View Post
    Am I the only one who got Ethan killed and got that Rickon.2 kid as a ward?
    Mention that this is a legit spoiler, it isn't viewed like that often :p

Quote Originally Posted by Riverknight View Post
    Mention that this is a legit spoiler, it isn't viewed like that often :p
    Sure, sorry

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    Though I agree that they probably won't contradict the show's cannon.
    Indeed. The characters the show have killed off are also minor and unimportant to the grand scale of the story, they may kill them off to save time or even to add shock value for book readers but the ending remains ultimately the same. Ramsay has much story left and the only way he'll die in this game is if he dies in the books/show, we wont kill him yet have him alive still in the show.

I personally dislike them killing off characters that are still alive in the books, it shows their story to be unimportant or spoils that they will eventually die anyway.

Indeed. The characters the show have killed off are also minor and unimportant to the grand scale of the story, they may kill them off to save time or even to add shock value for book readers but the ending remains ultimately the same. Ramsay has much story left and the only way he'll die in this game is if he dies in the books/show, we wont kill him yet have him alive still in the show.

I personally dislike them killing off characters that are still alive in the books, it shows their story to be unimportant or spoils that they will eventually die anyway.
    Perhaps... Though sometimes it can be justified (more legit spoilers):

The dothraki guy wanted to go do movies, so it was either kill him, recast, or have him just disappear (though I suppose most of her dothraki have disappeared in the last season or two).
    Talisa was so different from Jeyne that I doubt its a very good indication of where Jeyne's story is going.
    Stoneheart is probably meant to reinforce that people die for good here, and I honestly wasn't a huge fan of her in the books so no complaints there .
    Finally, Xaro and Pyat were the result of the writers having to come up with a slightly satisfying arc to replace the awesome but unfilmable House of the Undying scene. Not sure it was the right choice, but I can't think of a better option for what Danny could do in Season 2 so I suppose its OK.

To tie things back in with the game though, yeah, Ramasy will probably be OK, but the new characters are all strong enough that I'm more than happy to worry over their survival, even knowing that the book people will live through it.

I liked the walking dead but I got this one and it just didn't do it for me, better to save your money and watch it on you tube, I just don't see where these choices make much difference and the controls aren't very intuitive and can be needlessly frustrating.

saneel's Avatar Senator

Anyone knows when the second part is coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by saneel View Post
    Anyone knows when the second part is coming out?
    Two months if I had to guess, that was their Walking Dead/Wolf Among Us release cycle, though there may well be delays involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Iforgot View Post
    I liked the walking dead but I got this one and it just didn't do it for me, better to save your money and watch it on you tube, I just don't see where these choices make much difference and the controls aren't very intuitive and can be needlessly frustrating.
    As for the choices mattering, I honestly don't mind the fact that they mostly don't. Sure it would be nice to have every choice have far reaching consequences, but from a feasability point of view this is impossible (Mass Effect did it OK, but they had spajillions of dollars, and even then it still had to follow a mostly-linear storyline and came down to picking your favorite color). This is because having storylines branching off for different players will exponentially increase production costs and make it harder and harder to tell a compelling story.

GoT Season 1 Spoiler that we all know about:

Imagine if GRRM had to write two Game of Thrones sagas, one where Ned Stark dies and one where he survives. While potentially cool as fan fiction, creating such divergent stories is unfeasable so instead we must content ourselves with a strong linear storyline.

My main standard for Telltale is whether they can deliver a strong linear story, regardless of whether your choices actually "mattered" from a gameplay sence. Consider that the choice at the end of the Walking Dead Season 1 will likely have no gameplay remifications whatsoever, but I still feel like s#%t over it.

That being said, I really can't blame you if you preffer to just watch them on youtube .

I agree it is nowhere near The Walking Dead. Not so emotional, not as intriguing and it does not have that feeling that your choices matter. It is still interesting though, it is still GoT we are talking about.

Silenced Ape's Avatar Vicarius

One of the reasons why you may feel like your choice didn't matter, might be because of the end result in the first episode. The death of the young Lord is not avoidable and so is a lot of things, we needed a introduction with limit options. My guess is that it will ofc not be like this in the next episodes.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    As for the choices mattering, I honestly don't mind the fact that they mostly don't. Sure it would be nice to have every choice have far reaching consequences, but from a feasability point of view this is impossible (Mass Effect did it OK, but they had spajillions of dollars, and even then it still had to follow a mostly-linear storyline and came down to picking your favorite color).
    Well, that is mostly because Bioware is at writing as of now now than writing a story with different conclusions being difficult. (Have they published a single game I liked since 2010? I don't think so)

My main standard for Telltale is whether they can deliver a strong linear story, regardless of whether your choices actually "mattered" from a gameplay sence. Consider that the choice at the end of the Walking Dead Season 1 will likely have no gameplay remifications whatsoever, but I still feel like s#%t over it.
    I think we'll probably see some choices that matter during the next installments. They just needed to set up the story for this one.
    It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

From what I hear Dragon Age Inquisition is data s#%t... As ing r the choices mastering, it really matters how they do it (my least favorite choice in the Walking Dead was saving Carly vs Doug?