Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: [General Discussion] Telltale's Game of Thrones Game

Drazule's Avatar Campidoctor

Icon6 [General Discussion] Telltale's Game of Thrones Game

Not sure where else to put this (don't think it really warrants its own thread), but who here is excited for the new Telltale's A Game of Thrones game? I feel like the Walking Dead games are pretty great and they could make good use out of an IP like ASoIF (Technically its Game of Thrones TV Show based).

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Not-A-Official-Fun-Thread Thread: Post your funny ASOIF stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by Drazule View Post
    Not sure where else to put this (don't think it really warrants its own thread), but who here is excited for the new Telltale's A Game of Thrones game? I feel like the Walking Dead games are pretty great and they could make good use out of an IP like ASoIF (Technically its Game of Thrones TV Show based).
    Depending on how much of the show's story which is used, dictates if I get it straight away or wait until it is completed and/or on sale. I would have been exstatic if it was set during the reign of the Targaryens (lead up to the Blackfyre Rebellion to make me faint with excitement) or a Stormlander house (for the obvious big loyalty questions)

A Northerner house however? And especially if it is primarily set during the TV storyline... Loved(ing) The Walking Dead. Loved(ing) Wolf Among Us. But since I have read the books.... megh we will have to see.

Default Re: The Not-A-Official-Fun-Thread Thread: Post your funny ASOIF stuff here

Judging from The Walking Dead, Telltale isn't afraid of stepping away from the actual story and making something of their own up. Of course this is up in the air in some cases, but I feel as though they could totally pull off stories which don't rely on historic events.

They have already said it'll follow the books and will be canon, it'll likely just play around the main PoV/Northerns. Close to them but not close enough to change any major book events etc.

Iron Aquilifer's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default The Not-A-Official-Fun-Thread Thread: Post your funny ASOIF stuff here

Quote Originally Posted by SoulGamesInc View Post
    They have already said it'll follow the books and will be canon, it'll likely just play around the main PoV/Northerns. Close to them but not close enough to change any major book events etc.
    But the blog says:

Our game series is based on the world, characters and events seen in HBO's TV show, which in turn is based on George R. R. Martin's books (A Song of Ice and Fire). The events in our game series begin towards the end of Season Three of the TV show, and end right before the beginning of Season Five

Though I do hope that you are right, the only thing about being canon was that the Forresters are in the books.

And this bloody talk of seasons instead of books doesn't bode well.
    Last edited by Iron Aquilifer; November 11, 2014 at 04:49 PM.

Feanaro Curufinwe's Avatar Primicerius

For those curious, the first trailer for TT's game has been released.

It is such a quiet thing, to fall. But far more terrible is to admit it.
    Proud supporter and fan of Fourth Age: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    For those curious, the first trailer for TT's game has been released.

Now, THAT'S the funniest joke on here.

I find it odd that a member of the Foresters would need to travel to King's Landing.
    As bannermen of the Glovers they'd answer to them, and they to the Boltons who in turn answer to the King. Why would the capital call upon a house as small as they to make idle threats?

Whats the throne going to do, march their armies north to punish the small noble house of Forester? The only things these threats are going to do is push them into the hands of Stannis. Then again cersei always was a moron.

EDIT: If Tyrion is in the game we can assume Joffrey is still alive? So... I'll assume the game starts shortly after the Red Wedding?

EDIT: If Tyrion is in the game we can assume Joffrey is still alive? So... I'll assume the game starts shortly after the Red Wedding?
    I believe it takes place between Season 3 and 5. So, it is most likely that it does start at about that time.

My theory is that the Forrester in the capital was with Eddard's guard who managed to survive somehow, and get released from captivity around Storm of Swords (The least convoluted of the convoluted reasons I can think of). The throne would then have the right to command the Boltons to remove the Forresters and replace them with the Whitehills (Their supposed rival house). Keep in mind that this game will be in a show-esque world that isn't part of the show. There WILL be a Forester in Essos, King's Landing, and in Ironwrath. I assume one will be at the Wall, but that leaves the mysterious 5th character a mystery.

I eagerly await the KL character to be present at the Purple Wedding however.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

My guess is the game opens with the dad being killed at the Red Wedding, and the game follows his kids doing their stuff. Maybe the Wall part is with Stannis? Either way I'm pretty stoked. My only hope is that they do the same thing GRRM did by giving us perspectives from multiple "sides" (think Davos and Tyrion at the Blackwater). Things get kinda boring when it is just from the point of view of the "good guys", and everyone else is a "Bad Guy".

It's the PoV of multiple Forester related characters, or so i've heard.

It's the PoV of multiple Forester related characters, or so i've heard.
    Here's a list of various characters, although I can only guess which ones are playable.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Lord Gregor Forrester, in the field with Robb's army
    - Lady Elissa Forrester, née Branstone (a minor house that sided with Targs and was destroyed)
    The kids:
    - Rodrik Forrester, in the field
    - Asher Forrester, in exile in Essos
    - Mira Forrester, Margaery Tyrell's handmaiden in King's Landing
    - Twins Ethan and Talia Forrester
    - Ryon Forrester
    The rest:
    - Malcolm Branfield, Elissa's brother and last of his line
    - Duncan Tuttle, lowborn castellan of Ironrath
    - Gared Tuttle, Duncan's nephew and Gregor's squire, in the field
    - Royland Degore, Ironrath's Master-at-Arms
    - Maester Ortengryn

In addition, I'll eat the hat I don't own if at least one doesn't get killed at the Red Wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    My guess is the game opens with the dad being killed at the Red Wedding, and the game follows his kids doing their stuff. Maybe the Wall part is with Stannis? Either way I'm pretty stoked. My only hope is that they do the same thing GRRM did by giving us perspectives from multiple "sides" (think Davos and Tyrion at the Blackwater). Things get kinda boring when it is just from the point of view of the "good guys", and everyone else is a "Bad Guy".
    The beauty of Telltale's games is that you get to choose what kind of person you want to be. Think about the Lannisters; in basic terms, Tyrion is 'good' yet pragmatic, Cersei malicious and scheming, Jamie is arrogant but has been reforming a bit since the second book, and Tywin sees only his family line and how they can benefit that. Same family, four largely different moral compasses and world views. You'll probably be able to get these sort of dynamics between the six PoVs in the game. Maybe you choose to have the KL character to be a ruthless political machine, while playing the Ironwrath character as a sympathetic lord who tries to protect the small folk. This being said, every PoV will be a character that is in some way related to the Foresters (not excluding wards/squires however).

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralThrawn View Post
    Admiral, if it's based on the show then you know there's going to be a terrible misrepresentation of characters as purely good or purely evil. The general population can't handle anything mildly intelligent, so we'll have to put up with a black and white scenario.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by HolyBob View Post
    Admiral, if it's based on the show then you know there's going to be a terrible misrepresentation of characters as purely good or purely evil. The general population can't handle anything mildly intelligent, so we'll have to put up with a black and white scenario.
    I think that that's probably a little harsh, people have simply come to expect "good guys" and "bad guys." It surprises people when characters they consider evil act in positive ways, and upsets them when their favorite characters act or speak in ways that could be considered questionable. Because of this, some people don't enjoy the Game of Thrones books because it is hard to find someone who is definitively good or evil.

AdmiralThrawn's Avatar Vicarius

Perhaps... But if anyone can do it it's Telltale (seriously, check out The Walking Dead/Wold Among Us).

There is nothing that is inherently less intelligent with black and white, just like having shades of grey isn't necessarily deep or nuanced. You can make a case for it being wrong because it is not true to the themes of the books, but saying that it is bad because "black and white=stupid!" is just ridiculous.

And in all honesty, the books themselves have plenty of purely evil characters. Can you say Euron Greyjoy? Or Gregor Clegane? Or Ramsay Bolton?

Murfmurf's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: [General Discussion] Telltale's Game of Thrones Game

Personally very excited for this game. Only played the first 2 episodes of The Walking Dead game but really enjoyed them, and I love the show too.

Westeros: Total War Unit-Maker
    Check out our previews here!

Quote Originally Posted by Feanaro Curufinwe View Post
    There is nothing that is inherently less intelligent with black and white, just like having shades of grey isn't necessarily deep or nuanced. You can make a case for it being wrong because it is not true to the themes of the books, but saying that it is bad because "black and white=stupid!" is just ridiculous.

And in all honesty, the books themselves have plenty of purely evil characters. Can you say Euron Greyjoy? Or Gregor Clegane? Or Ramsay Bolton?
    So you're saying that, when creating the show in mind for a broader audience nothing was made simpler for the base mind to easily grasp? Okay, buddy. And, it's not about the books having "purely evil characters," it's about the show simplifying men of grey morality and typically making them evil. Can you sayTywin Lannnister (who is made to be some modern villain with his blatant anti-homosexuality trope during the meeting with Olenna Tyrell), Stannis Baratheon (who burns everybody he doesn't like on the show) and Walder Frey (an "evil" man who was upset that his king broke a vow)? While we're on the subject of certain Kings in the North, what about the fact that somehow Robb Stark was the most beloved character on the show because of his alleged honor? Nobody thinks his killing of a bannerman and breaking a vow to marry one of his subject's daughters seems to warrant any negative judgment. Again, black and white. The show does a lot of things just fine, but nothing superb, and nothing that invokes deep thought.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast