Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Siege of King's Landing: the Lion attacks his prey

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Siege of King's Landing: the Lion attacks his prey

Mors:

"We'll take back the harbour when the King returns, if the Lannisters are still here," said Raymar, "Time is on our side, not theirs."

Massey:

"I'm a Westerman, you don't think I have friends who look natural in an army from the Westerlands?" asked Raymar, "He could easily be returned to the Westerlands camp but unless there's a powerful motivation I'm not putting him back into a dangerous situation: he did his job and made arrangements so that his permanent disappearance looked plausible. Re-inserting him into that army will lead to questions he might struggle to answer."

Pinkerton's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    "We'll take back the harbour when the King returns, if the Lannisters are still here," said Raymar, "Time is on our side, not theirs."
    So be it.

"If you need me you shall find me in my whorehouse."

Mors then left to find the comfort of beautiful and exotic women

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"As good a place as any." ​said Raymar as Mors left the room.

"I hope your men will see the reason behind my words, but I respect you, Lord Bywater, for it isn't easy to serve a madman, a tyrant"

He yells again to the walls.

"Remember my offer, soldiers of the garrison! Consider my words and think about it!"

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

As Tybolt departed with the bulk of the army, Harmund sighed. He had little to fight with if it came to a fight.

He ordered his Light Cavalry to screen the siege and had the rest of the men load everything onto wagons. If an army came, he was prepared to retreat immediately, as he was unlikely to win.

[OOC: 1,000 L Cav gives a -8 chance to surprise attacks, if someone attempts one. The base roll is thus 8/20 if someone tries.]

Adamat's Avatar Invertebrate

As the capital of Westeros came into sight, Ser Aurane turned to his men. The army halted momentarily, and a thousand light cavalry were gathered along with the finest knights of the Vale. Fast enough to dodge any engagement, but yet having enough power to stop an advancing army for a moment. The white flag was raised alongside the Arryn banner, and Aurane had his squire dress him for battle. Full plate mail, a heavy shield with blue paint on it, a Valyrian steel sword hanging in its scabbard. An imposing knight sitting atop a particularly strong and fit Sand Steed protected by heavy barding. His squire Nestor would accompany him, as would Ser Edmyn Royce as they would ride out to seek parlay with the Westerlanders sitting under the high walls of King's Landing.
    #JusticeForCookie #JusticeForCal #JusticeForAkar #JusticeForAthelchan

Poach's Avatar Civitate

They were met by Harmund Lefford, who had already given the order to prepare to abandon the siege. Wagons were strapped down and only lookouts remained in the siege lines for now, the rest of the army awaiting apprehensively for the order to move. The remaining tents and siege equipment would simply be abandoned.

"House Arryn of the Vale!" said Harmund as he approached, ​"I am Lord Harmund Lefford, commander of these siege lines. I am carrying out my orders to contain the city while King Haegon Blackfyre and Lord Maekar Targaryen do battle in the Kingswood."

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

A rider comes from the south and gives a letter to Lord Lefford. It was signed by Maekar Targaryen.

Good and bad news, Lord Lefford. The good news is that King Haegon, as well as the sword Blackfyre, have been captured at the battle in Kingswood. Sadly, Lord Tybolt Lannister was captured as well. We are currently in a stalemate while I determine the fate of the King. Word has been sent to the realm however of this great morale victory. I shall send further word at a later time.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Harmund hands the letter to Arryn to read.

"It would seem the King is currently a captive of Lord Maekar Targaryen, while my own liege is a captive of those loyal to the King." said Harmund with a chuckle to Arryn, "A tricky situation, my Lord!"

"Lord Lefford," Aurane spoke, raising his visor. "My name is Ser Aurane Arryn, commander of the Vale's forces, brother to Prince Zachary Arryn, brother to Crown Princess Sanna Arryn. My scouts tell me my men outnumber yours nearly three to one," he bluffed. "This siege is lost for you, Lord Harmund Lefford, and so is this war." Aurane's brain was running at top speed. If Maekar was facing Haegon head on, he would have taken as many men as he could with him. Logistically, an army of more than twenty thousand would pose problems, as the Valesmen had experienced personally before. "I have a host of thirty thousand at my back, thirty thousand eager for battle. Lannister's forces in the field number the same amount, my scouts report." He looked Lefford in the eyes. "And that includes your men here."

He steered his horse forward. "Once the realm realises that the Lion's plan has been foiled, it is not only Tybolt's head that will roll, but those of his commanders as well. House Lefford of Goldentooth is known as an honorable House. Now is the time to denounce Maekar and your insane liege lord, and join the armies of the true King." Who the true King actually was, he left somewhere in the middle. He pointed to King's Landing. "Your men could not seize these walls, but in time your head will."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Strong words, my boy," said Harmund warmly with a smile, "You're entirely correct, I can't beat you and I won't try. I gave orders to prepare to abandon the siege the moment I was informed of your army's arrival, but alas I cannot join you, Ser Aurane Arryn: I swore an oath to Tybolt Lannister, and to his mother before him, and her father before her. It is the curse of old age to have marched to war to put a Blackfyre on the Iron Throne, then to march to war in an attempt to take his son off it, but my oath has not changed."

"The city is yours, Aurane," he said as he wheeled his horse around, "I concede the field."

Below them, the army had begun to move from their positions already, snaking into a column along the road back to Casterly Rock. Harmund was not, however, foolish: on the road itself marched the infantry, and on the grass to their south the archers, with cavalry taking up the front and rear. With a single command the army could face north and present a ready battle front, with infantry in the centre and archers to the rear, flanked by cavalry.

A lone rider crossed the river in a rowboat to take the news to Maekar.
    Last edited by Poach; November 22, 2014 at 06:35 PM.

After the short parlay, the Arryn men rejoined their army, and then the massive column of steel and blue resumed their path towards the capital. He had thought about his orders, and had realised he should not risk his army pursuing the Lefford in the field. Instead, the army made its way to King's Landing without stopping, the riders on the west flank only serving to keep the Westerlanders from attacking.

When they reached the siege positions that Lannister had used before, Ser Aurane once again rode forward, this time only carrying the Arryn banner.

"The Host of Arryn has liberated King's Landing," he announced in a booming voice. "The siege of King's Landing has been brought to an end by my hand in the name of King Haegon Blackfyre! Allow us entry!"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The gates opened, but only to allow Lords Massey and Bywater to exit with a small retinue.

"House Arryn pledges to King Haegon's cause?" asked Massey, "We were not expecting you, Ser!"

"My Lords," Ser Aurane said as he rode to meet them with his own retinue of commanders and knights. "Ser Aurane Arryn, at your service. House Arryn would not abandon King Haegon," he assured them. "We have sworn our oaths to him, and bound our two great Houses by marriage. Crown Princess Sanna Arryn shall be expecting me soon." He looked up at the walls, inspecting the men looking down from it. "We did not dare send a raven of our coming, lest we give away our element of surprise. As you could see, our plan worked. If the Westerlanders had not abandoned their siege, the ground would be littered with their bodies by now."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Yes, yes," said Massey, "A stroke of genius."

"Open the gates!" shouted Bywater, allowing the army entry into the city itself.

Far above, in the Red Keep, Raymar watched from the parapets as the long, snaking line of Arryn troops entered into the city to cheers of adoration from the crowd, who only hours previous had been buckling down for a long and brutal siege.

The column would be led by the commanders of the army, Ser Aurane himself taking the lead as he steered his Sand Steed through the streets. The imposing Knights of the Vale would follow closely behind, proudly parading. The pikemen would be next, their eight foot long arms wavering high over the heads of the men. The dismounted knights and hardened veterans were the last of the parading troops. The light infantry and the archers were being held back at the walls by their sergeants, being told to relieve the Crownlanders on the walls.

The line of Arryns had dissolved as the party advanced further up to the Red Keep, and when they reached the drawbridge, only the nobility remained atop their horses. "Ser Aurane Arryn requests an audience with Princess Sanna Arryn and with the commander of the Goldcloaks," he informed the Inner Guardsmen.

Nestor rides beside Ser Aurane taking in the the cheers of the local citizens. He felt elated to be riding in front of such a mighty host with the euphoria washing over him. Kings Landing was the largest city he had ever seen, and the Red keep rose in the middle dwarfing Stronsong. He couldn't help but stare at the size off the crowds and the buaety of the cities stone work.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Eventually the gates of the Red Keep open and out walk eight people: Sanna, Raymar, and six guards.

"This is Sanna, or so I'm told," said Raymar, "and I'm the commander of the Goldcloaks."

Aurane had taken off his helmet, and quickly dismounted when he saw the eight. "Princess Sanna, my sister," he said, coming closer to hug her before turning to Raymar. "Your name, Ser," Aurane inquired. "I believe you know who I am already, but in case you do not, I am Ser Aurane Arryn, commander of this army."

Sanna hugged her brother. He had gotted taller, more muscular, more manly even. She thought back on the conversations she had with Gwyneth in the past few months. She had said Aurane would come visit her soon, and indeed she had been right. "Brother," she said warmly, but then he had already shifted his attention to apparently the more important of the two.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Raymar." came the flat response, ​"Why am I summoned?"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast