Thread: Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Review

DarrenTotalWar's Avatar Video/Podcast Creator
    Citizen

Default Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Review

Hey everyone the Black Seas Colonies Culture pack is out, and it adds 3 new playable factions to the grand campaign: Colchis, Cimmeria and Pergamon.

Find it here on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/297831/

The culture pack seems to be getting mixed reviews, let me know what you think!

Check out my latest video: Unit Expansion Mods

Default Re: Black Sea Colonies Culture Pack Review

I downloaded the free Massallia pack yesterday. Not only does it crash every time I run it- when I go back to my Parthia Imperial campaign it crashes that too. In the Parthia campaign it either crashes in a battle I was just about toenter, or after the battle. Any suggestions? I have no mod enabled

great review mate!

The culture packs have always gotten luke-warm receptions from many because of the feeling that many of the assets were already in the game from day 1... though this is only partially true, obviously, as we know that while some units were present, there were generally not the buildings, techs, and some other details that the packs generally added.

Personally, though, I've liked most of the culture packs. My only complaint was about the Nomadic Tribes, which really could have stood to have a few more infantry units... after all, they aren't really nomadic in this game (since they have to have settlements to function), so there's no point in limiting them only to horses (though I understand why they are horse-focused). Further, they have ballistae and artillery as units, so why not one or two extra infantry units just to round them out as a roster?

Black Seas DLC might be my favorite. I like being able to employ odd or interesting unit combinations (like Hoplites and Armored Horses, or Galatian Swords and Picked Peltasts). The only nit-picking I could do is that I had hoped Pontus would finally get a little bit of a boost to its roster, but maybe they'll still fix Pontus up down the line, so who knows.

Overall, a good review.

Outcast's Avatar Civis

Great review, I'm just amazed how CA can fail when it comes to factions tho. Colchis seems totally neglected and really wrong with all those descriptions and units.

Ἀπολλόδοτος Α΄ ὁ Σωτήρ's Avatar Yeah science!
    Civitate

A little bit of history, because I like history and dislike Rome II, not because of the historical inaccuracies, those can be fixed with mods but because of the IMHO, bad game, especially campaign, mechanics.

I know that CA and historical accuracy are not on good terms... but Colchis and Cimmeria are not colonies at all, Pergamon is not even not even located on the shores of Black Sea, in fact the Attalid Kingdom of Pergamon never controlled any part of Black Sea coast. Cimmeria is a name for an ancient people that did not even exist during the Rome II timeframe, the proper name for Cimmeria in Rome II should be Bosporan Kingdom. The steam page says that these were originally citizens of the Greek States, no they weren't, only those in the Bosporan kingdom were, Colchis is not greek at all, while Pergamon was greek city state from the begining and continued to be a greek city state until annexed by Rome, not a colony in a traditional greek sense.
    "First get your facts straight, then distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

οὐκ ἦν μὲν ἐγώ, νῦν δ' εἰμί· τότε δ' ούκ ἔσομαι, ούδέ μοι μελήσει